RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I got into a discussion about atheism and god and such and this is what happened.
Night Offline
Queen Mod

Given 372 thank(s) in 211 post(s)
I got into a discussion about atheism and god and such and this is what happened.

So I sent this video about atheist discrimination in America to a friend, who is not American and also not atheist by the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JLltCvPZwo

So the conversation went like this:

Him: I Don't like atheists

Me: :/

Him: Don't tell me you're atheist

Me: More agnostic/confused/still trying to find myself. But basically, yeah.

Him: Lol what the fuck? Why don't you believe in god?

Me: Ok, well tell me why you DO believe in god.

Him: the thing is you must belive in something for example when you are in very hard time you always say god
i know you do even if you dont belive in god
it's better to belive in something than live with out beliving

Me: Not really. What makes it batter to believe in god than to not?

Him: becaouse you have hope
when you have hope you can always move on
with out hope you cant never move on
with out hope your like dead inside

Me: You know what gives me hope? Scientific advances. The beauty that is the universe, that is this earth. What gives me hope is all the wonderful people I've met and will meet in the future, and all the wonderful people that I might never meet. I do not thank god when a family memeber or a friend gets healed of an illness, i thank the dedicated doctors and scientists that helped cure them. I did not thank god when i got hit in by a car and got away with nothing but a broken leg and cut. God doesn't give me hope. God crushes my hope

Him: No Anna you are brainwashed. science is controled by goverment
and by zionist and sects and so is knowldage u should not belive in stuff like that

And then he went on to say

Him: i am on right path lol

Me: Becuase you believe in a god? So am i on the wrong path because I don't?

Him: your on wrong path atheist are brainwashed

Sorry some of his responses might not make sense. He's not too good at English and I don't feel like editing the longer responses to have better grammar/spelling.

I'm a girl ffffeck
Hidden stuff:
05-29-2013 07:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

Hah, "so is knowledge." Wow.

What are his specific beliefs? Where did they come from?
05-29-2013 08:04 AM
Night Offline
Queen Mod

RE: I got into a discussion about atheism and god and such and this is what happened.

He says he's christian, and also said he doesn't believe in 100% of things about god..

And then he made a status saying "atheist are truly stupid lol"

I'm a girl ffffeck
Hidden stuff:
05-29-2013 08:13 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

He had a tolerable counter-argument(in the sense he made at least an infinitesimal amount of sense somewhere in his statements) till:
Quote:Him: No Anna you are brainwashed. science is controled by goverment
and by zionist and sects and so is knowldage
u should not belive in stuff like that

Is he practically saying we should be stupid because intelligence is actually the tools of "government, zionists and sects"?

He seems to possess that Middle Age Christian belief system. The Church thinks for you, prays for you and cares for you. Just shut up and plow that farm and you'll go to heaven. Inventions and technology are the tools of the devil!

I consider myself religious, doubtfully to ever become agnostic/atheist. However, I do find the unintelligent type of religious "zealots" pretty damn annoying. Firstly, they get everything of their religion all wrong and act like they're doing it all right. Secondly, they seem to be oblivious to the fact that they say God created everything yet will consider learning of these creations as an evil.

Pretty sure if God hadn't intended for people to learn about physics/chemistry/biology, they wouldn't exist or we wouldn't be able to understand it. It's just foolish to be denying science, because it exists and has been proven to exist. It's like trying to convince someone one thing and another of the same thing doesn't make two of that thing.(I believe religion and science co-exist.)

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
05-29-2013 09:04 AM
Night Offline
Queen Mod

RE: I got into a discussion about atheism and god and such and this is what happened.

Comments on this status he made make me so sad. I'm actually crying.

Because I don't believe in god I also don't have Hope. I do have hope, but I don't find hope in god. Because I don't believe in god I am brainwashed.
This is an actual comment from him:
"it happends to lot people you go to meetings and stuff and then they talk their things into your head untill you belive them then you start to dramaticly changing i know becaouse my cousin and her husband he is atheist they complatly changed him he is like some other person now thanks to brainwashing they also ask him for money donation every sunday and he pays them xD"

The funny part is this whole statement doesn't make me think "atheists!!!" it makes me think "Oh he goes to church."

quote from one of his friends "being an atheist is such a waste"

Another actual quote: "yeah, Anna, i think you should believe in your god, because without god, you can't even live or do other stuff xD"

and other one: "anna god exist if he would not then you would not exist to"

These kids are acting so retarded i'm beginning to think they're just trolling me. I never knew people could be this retarded.

Now my friend is saying it is a prank. But I didn't find it very funny.

I'm a girl ffffeck
Hidden stuff:
05-29-2013 09:40 AM
тωιѕтє∂ Offline
Revolutionary

Given 34 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

I think God was made up to scare people into doing things that are "good".

It doesn't matter if someone follows God's moral and shit or not, if humans have to be SCARED into being good people and not the natural evil shits we are, then it doesn't fucking matter.

Just kill the entire human race and everything else will be better off. Too bad humans are also selfish little things, so that would never happen.

Twisted The Twisted Smiley Belongs To Twisted Twisted

"Treat every problem as a challenge, not a dead end. And treat every question like an obstacle worthy of your effort." -my friend's wise Asian father (Sounds better in Chinese)

OBNOXIOUSLY HUGE AND NOTICEABLE
05-29-2013 10:10 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)

It's strange to me how people seem to think you can just choose to believe in God. If you don't, the closest you can come is to pretend you believe. You can't just magically make yourself believe something you don't. I don't believe in God. This wasn't a choice. It's the same way with Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny, Frankenstein, vampires, and Big Foot. I could pretend to believe in these things but I can't just suddenly convince myself they're real.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
05-29-2013 04:28 PM
тωιѕтє∂ Offline
Revolutionary

Given 34 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

Christians would get so pissed of you comparing God to Santa xD

Twisted The Twisted Smiley Belongs To Twisted Twisted

"Treat every problem as a challenge, not a dead end. And treat every question like an obstacle worthy of your effort." -my friend's wise Asian father (Sounds better in Chinese)

OBNOXIOUSLY HUGE AND NOTICEABLE
05-30-2013 08:23 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

You're all going to Hell. Wear summer clothing.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
05-30-2013 12:28 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

(05-30-2013 12:28 PM)Wes Wrote:  You're all going to Hell. Wear summer clothing.

Don't forget the SPF 666 cream.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
05-30-2013 01:19 PM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

Either your friend was trolling you hard and you fell in to the trap or you encountered a brainwashed moron not worth the time to try convincing otherwise. Either way you have too much time to waste on pettyness. Cool video though aside from the parts where the editor would play sentences twice.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2013 02:29 AM by Sunbourn.)
05-31-2013 02:27 AM
Unknown-Creation Offline
Forever Watching

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

(05-29-2013 09:40 AM)Night Wrote:  Another actual quote: "yeah, Anna, i think you should believe in your god, because without god, you can't even live or do other stuff xD"

The stupidity in that quote is astounding. Without god, you can't live? There are plenty of people on the planet who don't believe in god (or are uncertain, or don't care) that are living in the flesh right now. How can someone say something so idiotic?

If your friends really did this as a prank, it's not a very good one, unless their goal was to demonstrate another realm of idiocy.

I often forget about the existence of the thanks button on these forums...

If my writing happens to be too sporadic, too brief, or missing information, call me out on it.

"The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma."
~ Patrick Star
05-31-2013 02:31 PM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

hail satan

Who am I? Who are YOU?
06-01-2013 01:37 AM
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)

^ Thank you for hailing my mother.

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
06-01-2013 05:37 AM
Ahab Offline
Machine Gnome

Given 25 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

It's sad how Christians have fallen to this sophistry. What happened to Kierkegaard, Barth, and the other dead homies who made at least a little sense? They proselytize like a bunch of hippies nowadays. There's no respect for the atheistic viewpoint whatsoever, but they contrive empathy anyways, so they end up sounding like passive aggressive douche bags.

To me, religion works like becoming a loyal user of a specific operating system aimed at developing a sense of what the higher truths are. Some operating systems are fucking insane to take on and work with to incorporate, expand, and work with, but the challenge of it is respectable and from it you can come out a more refined human being for the insane world we live in. But too many just use it without ever trying to make a fucking tweak in the deeper subtleties themselves, just shout about how it's the best and think you're a fucking dummy (sorry, 'a lost soul') for not using it, even though they can't get on YouTube without an audio-video delay but derp that's how God wanted it.

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit." - Robert Anton Wilson
06-02-2013 06:11 AM
Lime Offline
Revolutionary

Given 84 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Quote:More agnostic/confused/still trying to find myself. But basically, yeah.
As far as being atheist goes, do you have a belief in a deity? Think of the deity as a piece of property, and whether you have it or not.

Yes=Theist
No=Atheist
06-02-2013 11:41 AM
Night Offline
Queen Mod

(06-02-2013 11:41 AM)Lime Wrote:  
Quote:More agnostic/confused/still trying to find myself. But basically, yeah.
As far as being atheist goes, do you have a belief in a deity? Think of the deity as a piece of property, and whether you have it or not.

Yes=Theist
No=Atheist

It's very confusing. I have a deep connection to science, especially about space and the universe. I imagine the way I feel when I think about the universe is similar to the way religious people feel when they get all spiritual in church or whatever they do. And All those beliefs in fact, science etc. make the concept of god and shit unreasonable.

But i've also had experiences which contradict what I know about science.

Like.. I'm in a grey area between atheism and theism. Like, I imagine that if I was trapped somewhere under a crushed building, or kidnapped and tortured by some psychopath I would probably end up praying.

Hard to explain.

I'm a girl ffffeck
Hidden stuff:
06-02-2013 12:44 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)

"Like.. I'm in a grey area between atheism and theism. Like, I imagine that if I was trapped somewhere under a crushed building, or kidnapped and tortured by some psychopath I would probably end up praying."

That's not saying much if you've exhausted every other option. If a building was on top of you your first move would be to push, pull, wiggle, crawl, and so on. Even the most religious fanatic alive would start there because everyone knows action gets results and prayer achieves nothing. I could pray until the universe ends for some higher power to write this message for me and it would still never happen. The whole world could join hands and pray that my toenails would stop growing and it would have no effect. I will still have to clip them next weekend. But still when you scrap and wiggle and still can't get out you toss out a prayer because it costs you nothing. Even on the one in a trillion trillion chance it might work (it won't) it's with a shot at that point. That doesn't make you a believer.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
06-02-2013 04:00 PM
 Thanks given by: Potato
Lime Offline
Revolutionary

Given 84 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Quote:Like, I imagine that if I was trapped somewhere under a crushed building, or kidnapped and tortured by some psychopath I would probably end up praying.
In all the situations I have ever been in where my life was in danger (tornado warnings with zero visibility outside, large hail, and extremely strong straight-line winds, and this one time where I stupidly climbed all the way up the wrong side of the stairs and couldn't get down), I have never thought to pray. In fact, I didn't even think about the fact that I wasn't praying, and that the whole "no atheists in foxholes" thing was bullshit. It was only afterwards that said musing entered my mind.
In fact, I don't even know if most religious people would pray in such a situation, simply because they would forget about it altogether. Your mind is focused on surviving, and people and things you care about: in short, vitals. (OK, my house isn't really necessary for my survival, but whatever.) Perhaps it's because, for some, their conscious believes in all that god and salvation stuff but their subconscious doesn't, and in a dangerous situation it's simply thrown out. Their are almost certainly some people who reach out to a higher power, but for most people, I don't know...
Quote:But i've also had experiences which contradict what I know about science.
Our current knowledge isn't impeccable. I don't prefer to use "science" as a label for all secular information about the universe; if a god existed, it and anything surrounding it would be factored in as science also. After all, science is really just our observations and conclusions of the world around us.
If you are merely open to the possibility of a deity, but don't actually possess a belief in it, then as far as I'm concerned you're still atheist. Some use the term "weak atheist"; I don't prefer it because atheism is simply a state of nonbelief, and all that matters is that you have it. It's like being a millionaire; the word simply tells whether you have a million+ bucks, and exactly how much money past that is irrelevant. I like agnostic atheist more, and now you actually have two sides that make sense, those being agnostic atheism and gnostic atheism (same goes for theism). Of course, it is possible to divide agnosticism itself into 2 categories, one being that you don't claim to possess knowledge about the existence of a god, and the other stating it is impossible for us to know whether there are any gods. The former seems more reasonable given that if sufficient proof were given for a deity, of course we would know that it exists.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2013 06:37 PM by Lime.)
06-02-2013 06:34 PM
optimuswhat Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Wait, science was controlled by the government millions of years ago?
K

Also apparently atheists are brainwashed for some reason.

Yeah.

Yep...
Definitely true... Oh yeah.*sarcasm
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 07:37 AM by optimuswhat.)
06-04-2013 07:34 AM
..V.. Offline
Party Rebel

Given 40 thank(s) in 29 post(s)

[Image: FreedomReligion.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 11:21 PM by ..V...)
06-04-2013 11:19 PM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)

^

Or no religion for that matter.

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
08-13-2013 11:18 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

It also means preferably not bashing others for religion, atheist or theist.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
08-14-2013 02:43 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Only if you're the government.

stupid article
08-14-2013 03:08 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Yep. And not just not bashing, but also not supporting.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
08-14-2013 12:19 PM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Indeed.

stupid article
08-15-2013 03:41 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Does Autism Lead to Atheism? Miller0700 35 22,398 01-09-2013 10:27 AM
Last Post: Trekkie_Aspie
  Atheism requires as much faith as theism. Nah 45 10,396 04-19-2010 07:39 AM
Last Post: AWOL
  On Atheism and God Darthmat 45 7,428 11-25-2009 08:16 AM
Last Post: Liquid