RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why doesn't school teach us anything useful?
Lieutenant Offline
Rebel

Given 5 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

Honestly, I'd be way more happy to wake up on a Monday morning to go to school if I were to learn something useful.
I think cooking's pretty useful, but for some god damn reason, its not available for college credit, it's just there.
Learning how to pay bills and manage money is pretty useful. Not even a class.
Learning how to parent is REALLY useful. Not a class.
Learning about nutrition is important, because I just realized today that my friend did NOT know what an eggplant or squash was. Again just high school credits.
Learning public speaking is certainly useful. Drama, I suppose, counts as public speaking, but public speaking class should be aimed towards gaining the crowds' attention and whatnot.

The list could go and on. I seriously would just wish that the education take a step BACKWARDS, and realize that they are preparing us for a future that will never exist.

You all know the age old saying, once you learn to ride a bike, you'll never forget how to.

So why am I "learning" all of these science concepts, math formulas, and vocabulary when I am literally forgetting them in a month.

FFS, I'm sure an elementary schooler can make a better education system, assuming they're not brainwashed into thinking that a letter on a piece of paper matters.
05-15-2013 01:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: xcriteria
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)
RE: Why doesn't school teach us anything useful?

Because they can't grade useful things.

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
05-15-2013 04:31 PM
 Thanks given by: Ky
Potato Offline
Pariah

Given 64 thank(s) in 50 post(s)

Quote:Learning how to parent is REALLY useful.

like we need more idiots making babies

Quote:Learning public speaking is certainly useful.

like we need more idiots speaking in public

Quote:So why am I "learning" all of these science concepts, math formulas, and vocabulary when I am literally forgetting them in a month.

yeah, you don't need vocabulary for public speaking as long as you "gaining the crowds' attention"
05-15-2013 05:27 PM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)

Umm ... look, say he's speaking in January and April.

January: Baseline Vocabulary.
February: Learn Vocab
March: Forget Vocab
April: Baseline Vocab

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2013 07:39 PM by Trekkie_Aspie.)
05-15-2013 06:04 PM
HawkbitAlpha Offline
Pariah

Given 95 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

(05-15-2013 05:27 PM)Potato Wrote:  
Quote:Learning how to parent is REALLY useful.

like we need more idiots making babies

Quote:Learning public speaking is certainly useful.

like we need more idiots speaking in public

This just owned itself without our help.

RIP GWEDIN (2013-2017)
RIP URITIYOGI (2016-2017)
RIP NIGHT (2009-2017)
RIP VONUNOV (2008-2017)
RIP WES/THEWAKE (2007-2017)
RIP USERNAME (2013-2017)
RIP HAWKBIT (2013-2017)
RIP SS

"Write me a little report of [my video], so I know you watched it, or you get another warning. One of my other goals is to make this forum a bit of my own class...So, tell me, how you feel about the new rule of having you do homework? Or you get another warning. So, do you want to do this or not?...Please send a PM and tell me if you're willing or not. I will probably give you 24 hours to send the PM. No PM will indicate to me that, no, you don't want to do things in this new way. So, you will be saying goodbye."
-Stevehein, promise-maker and Führer moderator of SJW-Survival, 2017

Hidden stuff:
05-16-2013 12:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

Great points, Lieutenant. The list really good go on and on, but there must be a way to identify some important items and develop alternate plan for learning them. Desu's post a book for teens by former teens from two years ago gets at the same underlying point. Why can't people do a better job of translating their wisdom and experience in a form that learners can benefit from?

The fact is, even in college a lot of those things aren't covered well, even if there are classes for them. Meanwhile all of this material, even many of the classes, are available online, but there's the question of how to go about utilizing all of it.

Forgetting things

Forgetting things in a month is another *major* problem with school. And, that can be a problem even with learning outside of school. The solution is to spend time reflecting on past learning and experiences. This is a cognitive skill that can be built up, and it can be a great source of learning in itself. Connecting memories to other things you've learned, or real or potential situations can all be a learning process in itself. Learning to write, speak, and make sense of your own experiences and those of others can be a good way to learn how to communicate, and how to listen to and appreciate what other people are saying.

Parenting and growing up

Learning about parenting can be useful even in working on overcoming, redoing, and building on your own upbringing. In fact, a good amount of "parenting" is really done by the kid themselves in the decisions they make and they way they come to make sense of the world. See Making Sense of Your Past by Daniel Siegel, M.D. (5 paragraph book excerpt.)

Becoming a more conscious learner

One of the biggest reasons "school doesn't teach us anything useful" is because it teaches people to run on autopilot, rather than being a conscious decision-maker and explorer. The teacher is in charge of the content, constrained by the schedule and the learner can basically participate or not.

[Image: iCRSS.jpg]

So, how do you go about learning useful things, if not school? How do you even figure out what's useful, or what will be useful? This decision will have a profound impact on how you bother to spend time and energy learning outside of school.

The implication of all this

So, there's work to be done to identify what people should know, and how they can go about learning it. Or in personal terms, how do you identify what you should know, and what skills you should develop, and how? If school doesn't do this well, so maybe the learners themselves should. (Maybe then there wouldn't be so many "idiots" of the sort Potato was referencing.)

Maybe the first step is to add these to your list:

how to read several paragraphs together in a forum and not run away screaming "wall of text!"
how to write a several paragraph response to a forum post that builds on what has already been discussed.

tl;dr:
[Image: 487785_10151018781105959_2068608689_n.jpg]

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2013 01:31 AM by xcriteria.)
05-16-2013 01:25 AM
Subb Offline
Music Nerd

Given 317 thank(s) in 184 post(s)

We learn to sit down and shut up, which is pretty useful in the modern day workplace.

Sub's Mental Log!
We've had a lot of fun, guys.
Fulltime Member, 2013-2014

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP HANSGROHE
RIP VON
RIP WES
RIP USERNAME
05-16-2013 02:32 AM
Potato Offline
Pariah

there are many good criticisms of school that can be made. but a personal preference for learning about grabbing attention or raising babies over math, science, and vocabulary is not one of them. suggesting attention grabbing for public speaking as a more useful alternative to math science and vocabulary as a school subject is just stupid because very few people speak in public, and of those, few are worth listening to, how is public speaking a more useful class subject to be forced into people's schedule, than something like vocab, which everybody use and encounter every time they read or write?
and WTF makes you think it would be a good idea to make the state responsible for teaching parenting? do you imagine that a few hours per week at some freaking parenting class in your typical public school could make people better parents? considering how well they've taught general science in the past, i have to say your faith in public education seem almost religious, no offense

Quote:This just owned itself without our help.

it doesn't take much for you to be reduced to generic troll posts.

Quote:Umm ... look, say he's speaking in January and April.

January: Baseline Vocabulary.
February: Learn Vocab
March: Forget Vocab
April: Baseline Vocab

and lol you are not gonna piss off anyone with that kind of pathetic failure of an unclever insult...it is just so pitiful that it makes me want to apologize.. i'm sorry if you were offended by my earlier remarks.
05-16-2013 05:20 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Your friend doesn't know what an aubergine is?
He must have quite a simpleton cuisine experience.

School wasn't meant to educate for the improving of knowledge, it was meant to educate so we could be good little happy workers that would be good at their job and good at following orders.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
05-16-2013 05:47 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

(05-16-2013 02:32 AM)SubCulture Wrote:  We learn to sit down and shut up, which is pretty useful in the modern day workplace.

This might have had validity in the age of factories, but things are changing fast. Many jobs require people who can think, innovative, do research, and bring about change. The antithesis of the traditional "factory model."

In recent MOOC-style course designed to get educators thinking like entrepreneurs, high school teacher Justin Schwamm wrote,

Code:
Both schools and textbooks function ‘as designed,’ but the design is obsolete, and so is the underlying paradigm (knowledge is scarce and must be transmitted from expert to novice). To eliminate the pain that teachers, parents, and students feel, we must redesign learning spaces and learning materials around a paradigm of abundance and co-creation.
(From The Solution Test: I.)

And, responding to an assignment to describe the pain one's solution addresses, Justin wrote:

Code:
There’s a lot to say about pain in schools today. And that’s because there’s a lot of pain to be found.  Factory-model schools still function as designed, but that design doesn’t fit the needs of today’s students, parents, teachers, school administrators, political leaders, employers, society – and that lack of fit is painful.
(From The Pain Test, 3: Inverting the School, Part 2)

In short, even though school is well-known as "designed to make drones," it's a myth that this is what society needs in today's world, let alone what a given person needs who is trying to make the most of their life.

(05-16-2013 05:47 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  School wasn't meant to educate for the improving of knowledge, it was meant to educate so we could be good little happy workers that would be good at their job and good at following orders.

School has many purposes. The purpose of making factory drones is fast becoming obsolete. There are many workers around the world who are happy to take those factory jobs away. The result is a changing landscape for what it takes for any modern society to do well.

I highly suggest watching Ken Robinson's Changing Educational Paradigms talk if you haven't seen it. The talk addresses this change. Governments around the world are trying to reform education to keep up with a changing economic landscape, while many students sit miserably in school not believing the dogma that once had at least some validity: that school will prepare you for your job.

Watch on YouTube

All that said, however fast or slowly school gets re-inventied, there's the question of what you as an individual should learn on your own. That's what I was getting at in my post. What options are there other than school to make the most of your time?

How can you reduce the risk of ending up screwed, miserable, and dependent on others for help when everyone is competing for a shrinking number of factory model jobs?

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog

Hidden stuff:
05-16-2013 06:18 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

(05-16-2013 05:20 AM)Potato Wrote:  there are many good criticisms of school that can be made. but a personal preference for learning about grabbing attention or raising babies over math, science, and vocabulary is not one of them. suggesting attention grabbing for public speaking as a more useful alternative to math science and vocabulary as a school subject is just stupid because very few people speak in public, and of those, few are worth listening to, how is public speaking a more useful class subject to be forced into people's schedule, than something like vocab, which everybody use and encounter every time they read or write?

The basic point of the original post is that there are many useful, relevant things that school doesn't tend to cover. Public speaking is just one item Lieutenant suggested. What do you think about his overall point?

(05-16-2013 05:20 AM)Potato Wrote:  and WTF makes you think it would be a good idea to make the state responsible for teaching parenting? do you imagine that a few hours per week at some freaking parenting class in your typical public school could make people better parents? considering how well they've taught general science in the past, i have to say your faith in public education seem almost religious, no offense

Why should the state teach people to sit in classrooms learning irrelevant things ("how to shut up and follow orders") in alienating, disengaging ways, period?

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2013 06:24 AM by xcriteria.)
05-16-2013 06:24 AM
Potato Offline
Pariah

Quote:The basic point of the original post is that there are many useful, relevant things that school doesn't tend to cover. Public speaking is just one item Lieutenant suggested. What do you think about his overall point?

anything that can be learned from k-12 can be learned at equal or faster pace on your own with the internet and with less waste of tax money. schools not having certain classes can't withhold him from learning the stuff on his own, expanding class selection is not the best solution, the best solution is to do away with public education completely so ppl can learn at their own time. but the main point is that a person's own interest in a subject does not determine usefulness. public speaking and parenting classes would be more useless than most classes we have now.
05-16-2013 08:00 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1468 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

I would love to learn how to drive a car (I've been so busy with school that I haven't been able to get a license yet). I'd like to know how to cook, to pay bills, to actually be a responsible adult capable of taking on the working world.

School is a distraction more harmful to me than a videogame. I must remove it from the equation by whatever means necessary, preferably by graduating so that the hypnotized masses do not shun me and take from me my opportunity to be a responsible adult.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
05-16-2013 09:21 AM
HawkbitAlpha Offline
Pariah

Given 95 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

(05-16-2013 05:20 AM)Potato Wrote:  it doesn't take much for you to be reduced to generic troll posts.

I could've just put this down

Watch on YouTube

And how is it a troll post when:

A: You were saying that having a child means you're an idiot
B: What's wrong with public speaking?

RIP GWEDIN (2013-2017)
RIP URITIYOGI (2016-2017)
RIP NIGHT (2009-2017)
RIP VONUNOV (2008-2017)
RIP WES/THEWAKE (2007-2017)
RIP USERNAME (2013-2017)
RIP HAWKBIT (2013-2017)
RIP SS

"Write me a little report of [my video], so I know you watched it, or you get another warning. One of my other goals is to make this forum a bit of my own class...So, tell me, how you feel about the new rule of having you do homework? Or you get another warning. So, do you want to do this or not?...Please send a PM and tell me if you're willing or not. I will probably give you 24 hours to send the PM. No PM will indicate to me that, no, you don't want to do things in this new way. So, you will be saying goodbye."
-Stevehein, promise-maker and Führer moderator of SJW-Survival, 2017

Hidden stuff:
05-24-2013 11:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The principles that school REALLY tries to teach. KFC Nyan Cat 7 3,952 05-16-2017 07:11 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  What They Won’t Teach In School Could Make You Rich SoulRiser 13 5,188 04-15-2017 04:57 PM
  How to teach with fun Incubus Desmodus 2 1,112 04-04-2017 01:49 PM
Last Post: the Analogist
  Important stuff school does not teach you. Michio-kun 17 5,701 01-30-2017 01:06 PM
Last Post: the Analogist
  “If a child can't learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn.” Miller0700 18 4,931 03-20-2016 09:20 AM
  School Doesn't Care About True Knowledge — My Experience MrAnonymous 3 1,552 02-24-2015 03:29 PM
Last Post: MrAnonymous
  What High School Didn't Teach Me: A Recent Graduate's Perspective on How High School xcriteria 2 2,264 12-28-2014 07:45 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Too Tough To Teach xcriteria 1 1,865 10-31-2014 08:54 AM
Last Post: Symbol
  If schools are to prepare us for life, why don't they teach us anything useful? James Comey 8 8,144 12-04-2013 02:45 AM
Last Post: isolatedsystem
  I have to go to school but my dad doesn't even have to try to find a job Night 14 7,829 08-24-2013 01:02 PM
Last Post: HawkbitAlpha