RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Private christian school "science" quiz
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)
RE: Private christian school "science" quiz

(05-14-2013 11:18 AM)Eintity Wrote:  I'm religious, and I'm pretty sure that stuff isn't in the Bible.
Indeed, most of it doesn't appear to be. The specifics are all wrong in both religious and secular science.

Ignoring that, I think people take much more issue with the "were you there" statement and the idea that dinosaurs roamed the earth at the same time humans did. This is the point I think they are trying to convey, and the fact of the matter is that there's no definitive proof - pitting the book of Job (the historical aspects of which take place before Genesis ever finishes) against carbon dating doesn't end in a result for one or the other.

That said, I am a fan of neither science and would very much like to do away with the concept in general. Both sciences have deviated far from the scientific method and would be better summed up into two groups: "how we think things work" and ancient history.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
05-15-2013 06:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: EntityCubed
EntityCubed Offline
Back In Black

Given 39 thank(s) in 27 post(s)

"Dinosaurs were made on the 6th day."
Were you there?

"It does a fool no good to spend money on an education. Why? Because he has no common sense."-George Bush
05-15-2013 08:26 AM
 Thanks given by: HawkbitAlpha , J.D. , Trar
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)

(05-14-2013 03:03 PM)Prince Darkstar Wrote:  I think this is what they study in that class:

[Image: 09a09a3b8598e18e8b68b7d2ba8e6d5e.jpg]

I wasn't aware that this site had become anti-dropout.

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
05-15-2013 09:20 AM
 Thanks given by: Ky , J.D.
Potato Offline
Pariah

Given 64 thank(s) in 50 post(s)

Quote:Indeed, most of it doesn't appear to be. The specifics are all wrong in both religious and secular science.

what's wrong with secular science? and the whole assumption behind religion is that god and the supernatural methods by which he create and do stuff cannot be understood through science; religion to the religious should be equally believable whether or not it can be verified through science. any scientific finding which contradict religious beliefs can be rejected on religious grounds. so wtf is "religious science"

the average size of a dinosaur was: d. sheep
what caused there to be fossils: b. a global flood

Quote:This is the point I think they are trying to convey, and the fact of the matter is that there's no definitive proof - pitting the book of Job (the historical aspects of which take place before Genesis ever finishes) against carbon dating doesn't end in a result for one or the other.

so you think carbon dating is about as reliable as a story book by Job?

Quote:Both sciences have deviated far from the scientific method and would be better summed up into two groups: "how we think things work" and ancient history.

legend is not history. history requires evidence. an ancient book might tell a story about the city of troy, and it may become legend, but troy can't become history until they find it and dig up the ruins.
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2013 09:38 AM by Potato.)
05-15-2013 09:25 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(05-15-2013 09:25 AM)Potato Wrote:  
Quote:Indeed, most of it doesn't appear to be. The specifics are all wrong in both religious and secular science.

what's wrong with secular science? and the whole assumption behind religion is that god and the supernatural methods by which he create and do stuff cannot be understood through science; religion to the religious should be equally believable whether or not it can be verified through science. any scientific finding which contradict religious beliefs can be rejected on religious grounds. so wtf is "religious science"

the average size of a dinosaur was: d. sheep
what caused there to be fossils: b. a global flood

Quote:This is the point I think they are trying to convey, and the fact of the matter is that there's no definitive proof - pitting the book of Job (the historical aspects of which take place before Genesis ever finishes) against carbon dating doesn't end in a result for one or the other.

so you think carbon dating is about as reliable as a story book by Job?

Quote:Both sciences have deviated far from the scientific method and would be better summed up into two groups: "how we think things work" and ancient history.

legend is not history. history requires evidence. an ancient book might tell a story about the city of troy, and it may become legend, but troy can't become history until they find it and dig up the ruins.

As I've said, I dislike both sciences. I can't tell whether I should be more displeased with religious science for being so vague and un-agreed-upon by experts (yes, they exist) in that field, or with secular science for encroaching upon the minds of religious scientists. Both have their fair share of flaws (the most important being that neither one is, in the correct use of the term, a "science").

Something verified through secular science is not necessarily verified through religious science, and vice versa. You can believe there was no global flood all you want, just as I can deny the possibility of some other catastrophic event wiping out the dinosaurs. Stick with your own science rather than bashing another.

(Also, I'm not sure where they pulled that "average dinosaur size" from. I don't remember that from reading Job.)

Radiometric dating techniques are actually less reliable than historical documents - in short, carbon dating requires accuracy in a radioactive state of carbon, something that is relatively impossible. Contrary to popular belief, carbon dating is NOT used on dinosaur bones because the assumption is that the bones are millions of years older than the maximum effectiveness of the method. In comparison, the book of Job is comprised of historical accounts. Were you there? They were.

Legend is history. The part of legend that is untrue reveals the mindsets of the people of the time. The part of legend that is true is historical data. The Bible's story is really two-fold - one way to look at it is that it is the timeline of Hebrew settlement, and another way is that it is the revelation of the mindset of God's chosen people.

If you're really as hung up on facts as you seem to be, check your own science first. You may find the things you take to be axioms are nothing more than conjectures, hypotheses, and theories (which, in their defense, are as close to facts as they can be without being factual).

(Well, I took the bait, didn't I? Fine.)

05-16-2013 08:53 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Better to have some proof with limited accuracy, then no proof at all.

Even if they aren't 100% spot-on, the testing still reveals that the bones/soil are way older than these people think.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
05-16-2013 10:26 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(05-16-2013 10:26 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Better to have some proof with limited accuracy, then no proof at all.

Even if they aren't 100% spot-on, the testing still reveals that the bones/soil are way older than these people think.
One could say the same for the Bible.

Way older? Even optimistically speaking carbon dating is completely ineffectual at the 60,000 year range. It also only works on organic remains (as carbon-14 tends only to be present in, and thus decaying in, once-living organisms).

It is not used on dinosaurs, contrary to popular belief, because it would not return any evidence in favor of the theory that dinosaurs are millions of years old.

(Also, I've considered the possibility that God created the world as though it had already existed for a long time just to mess with people's heads. That would be hilarious if it were true.)

05-17-2013 06:42 AM
Potato Offline
Pariah

Given 64 thank(s) in 50 post(s)

Quote:You can believe there was no global flood all you want, just as I can deny the possibility of some other catastrophic event wiping out the dinosaurs.

what people believe is not the same as what logic dictate. extraordinary or supernatural events are usually not taken as history, the Odyssey is not taken as evidence for cyclopes'. so why do you take the bible as evidence for historical supernatural events or jesus miracles? that -simple, written text is not sufficient evidence for extraordinary, supernatural, past events- is what appear to be your view on most of this stuff, but you've made an exception for the bible because you've been hearing too much about it from too young, imo. or explain why you think the story of jesus's resurrection (or one of the few different versions of it within the gospels) is more credible than the story of mohammad's miraculous ascent into heaven from temple mount or whatever

Quote:Contrary to popular belief, carbon dating is NOT used on dinosaur bones because the assumption is that the bones are millions of years older than the maximum effectiveness of the method.

carbon dating isn't the only version of radiometric dating, they also have "uranium-238, uranium-235 and potassium-40, each of which has a half-life of more than a million years."

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environ...e-age1.htm

Quote:In comparison, the book of Job is comprised of historical accounts. Were you there? They were.

you don't know that "they" were who they claim to be (and they probably weren't: http://www.amazon.com/Forged-Writing-God...06QS02F8), you don't know "they" weren't simply writing fiction WHICH PEOPLE OFTEN DO.

Quote:The part of legend that is untrue reveals the mindsets of the people of the time. The part of legend that is true is historical data.

yeah but when we read fiction- including those with references to the real world, like harry potter in the land of britain, or the odyssey around the Aegean sea, we usually regard all the supernatural parts as "untrue parts" because being written into text on some ancient scrolls or popular novels or whatever just isn't enough evidence for such extraordinary claims to be considered plausible.

Quote:(Also, I've considered the possibility that God created the world as though it had already existed for a long time just to mess with people's heads. That would be hilarious if it were true.)

you might as well consider the possibility that god created you two minutes ago with false memories already implanted in your head. what's hilarious is how desperate you are in trying to hold on to the superstitious nonsense that you've been brainwashed into. no offense
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2013 01:50 AM by Potato.)
05-18-2013 01:44 AM
Disciple Offline
Defiant

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Fuck religion. I don't mind people following it on their own, but when they try to force-feed that bullshit down children's throats and pass it off as 'science', it's too far.
05-28-2013 04:10 PM
 Thanks given by: Trar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How obsolete is your school? Take this quiz to find out xcriteria 20 8,484 01-04-2017 02:42 PM
Last Post: HSHARK
  [Quiz] How much do you hate school? SoulRiser 16 13,655 12-19-2016 12:16 PM
Last Post: Superkamiguru
  The hypocrisy behind Christian school HawkbitAlpha 1 1,280 10-16-2014 09:55 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Meanwhile in Christian private school HawkbitAlpha 2 2,142 09-19-2014 11:37 PM
Last Post: timf
  The problem with private schools waterchariot007 3 2,806 02-25-2014 08:19 AM
Last Post: Missile
  More Christian school BS HawkbitAlpha 14 6,983 09-26-2013 01:30 PM
Last Post: Subb
  School "Science Day" ironpriest25 0 1,307 06-19-2010 06:16 AM
Last Post: ironpriest25
  Private schools suck too. username01462781 5 2,472 09-11-2009 12:41 AM
Last Post: aaaaaaasd
  ATTN: People who think I go to a private school Milk2Go 4 2,377 03-06-2009 10:32 PM
Last Post: Gaiyara