RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Youth stupidity blamed on technology
HawkbitAlpha Offline
Pariah

Given 95 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

Puke-worthy.

http://www.phillymag.com/articles/featur...ly-stupid/

RIP GWEDIN (2013-2017)
RIP URITIYOGI (2016-2017)
RIP NIGHT (2009-2017)
RIP VONUNOV (2008-2017)
RIP WES/THEWAKE (2007-2017)
RIP USERNAME (2013-2017)
RIP HAWKBIT (2013-2017)
RIP SS

"Write me a little report of [my video], so I know you watched it, or you get another warning. One of my other goals is to make this forum a bit of my own class...So, tell me, how you feel about the new rule of having you do homework? Or you get another warning. So, do you want to do this or not?...Please send a PM and tell me if you're willing or not. I will probably give you 24 hours to send the PM. No PM will indicate to me that, no, you don't want to do things in this new way. So, you will be saying goodbye."
-Stevehein, promise-maker and Führer moderator of SJW-Survival, 2017

Hidden stuff:
04-12-2013 10:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
E.V.I.L Offline
Defiant

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

"I find it pretty humorous that the unnamed (AFAICT) author of this article has some literacy problems as well ("times tables", etc). What is sad, is the fact that they (like many parents) are looking outward to the question: "why does my kid not know the days of the week?" and "where does my kid go to find out what it means to be human" and "why can't my kid tell time on an analog clock" and "why does my kid need a calculator to do basic math?" Are you serious?!!

This is 100% what's wrong with our education system... it's not about "computers in the classroom" or "technology learning" or "teacher seniority" or "biased tests". The fault is YOURS, jackass. You, the PARENT, were supposed to instill crazy concepts like: the abc's, 123's, days of the week, months of the year, and human values into your kid before he ever ENTERED *middle school* (let alone High School). Your job was not to sit back and let the education system do it for you! Your job was to give your kid a strong start in the fundamentals, and then let the school reinforce all those basic things you encouraged your little kid to learn as a 4-7 year old.

You, like so many parents, screwed up. You thought it was your job to tell your kid to "study hard" and see what happens. Wrong! Your job was to, from a young age: instill curiosity, instill pride in a job well done, teach a love of reading, teach them the basics of life. You failed your kid. End of story. No doubt the "AP" (AP my ass!) English class where he "never read a book" was a failure on the part of the institution as well, but it started with his parents. And every parent.

Give me the kid with curiosity, a good work ethic, pride, and old crappy text books, boring teachers and no internet any day... over the kid with every technology advantage, but was too lazy to learn the basics and can't be bothered with "long paragraphs" and "tough math". The former kid is going to kick the other kid's ass for the rest of their lives, in every aspect of life. Work, family, everything."

-Dan M.

That comment sums up that whole entire article for the most part.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2013 11:28 AM by E.V.I.L.)
04-12-2013 11:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Rule_BreakerXVIII
LightAbyssion Offline
Revolutionary

Given 38 thank(s) in 21 post(s)
RE: Youth stupidity blamed on technology

The comments on that page pissed me off more than the article itself. It's one big cesspool of blame for the child, parent, technology, or some other scapegoat. These "educated" adults can't even differentiate between knowledge and intelligence, and yet they want to start pointing fingers.

Typical schooler: "Hey, this kid knows how to do math without a calculator! He's smart!"

No. It means he can do math without a calculator. Nothing more, nothing less.

This whole discussion is basically "kids these days don't know what kids knew back then. Therefore, something is wrong." Whatever man. Who cares whether their brain is filled with the names of presidents or celebrities? In the end, they'll still go to school, work 9 till 5, and vote for someone to rule them. Technology doesn't change that, so it's all good.

Maybe I'll paste that last part as a comment so these adults may unfurl their panties and go back to coercing their kids.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2013 01:27 PM by LightAbyssion.)
04-12-2013 01:26 PM
 Thanks given by: HawkbitAlpha
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Someone just trying to get publicity. Welcome to the cyberworld of the 21st century.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
04-12-2013 10:03 PM
Trar Away
R.I.P.

Given 189 thank(s) in 125 post(s)

(04-12-2013 10:03 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Someone just trying to get publicity. Welcome to the cyberworld of the 21st century.
This article was published in late 2010, FYI.

Quote:don't call us kids stuff like that u old piece of crap this aint 1954 no more where there was nothin to do but read this is 2013 get used to it u dumbfuck

I admit, I got a good laugh out of the comments. Then I got mad. (There's still a bit of spittle on my laptop, I think.) Then I laughed again.

Still, to say this article "sucks", while true, would ultimately give validation to the idea behind this vapid, hollow, self-serving piece of trash called an article, because apparently all the teenagers these days like to say that things "suck".

It still sucks, though.
04-15-2013 11:43 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Surely late-2010 is part of the 21st century.

Huh. Come to think of it, "Suck" is used in such an absurd way.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
04-15-2013 11:48 PM
Alistoriv Offline
Sanity Not Included

Given 169 thank(s) in 114 post(s)

Quote:Not long ago, a high-school teacher in California handed out an assignment that required students to use a ruler — and discovered not a single one of them knew how.
My first thought was to look this up. Guess what? There is no record of this. Never happened. Fucking idiot.

They're more likely to know who won American Idol than who the speaker of the house is? Because I'm sure you knew who the speaker of the house was when you were a kid, politics are so interesting. Nobody gives a fuck about John Boehner (not to mention that we all know it's not pronounced bane-er).

Your son doesn't know the days of the week? Well your son may have a very extreme case of being fucking retarded

I love how Yasmin is trying so hard to sound smart. Also, your son spends 6 hours at a time playing WoW? Thats... You might want to get that checked out too.

Ally sounds like that goody-two-shoes girl that nobody liked.
"I want school to be like a family, why don't you people like each other? Why don't you guys like me?"

Quote:They're used to getting everything at a click.
Mmhmm, it's not because more people are realizing that school is fucking boring, unnecessary bullshit. Definitely because of technology.

People never talk anymore. Have you ever been in a highschool cafeteria? It's dead quite in those things. Not. Maybe if you wanted us to talk more, you could stop discouraging it?

You still use AOL? Are you just jelly of us cause you're stuck in the dark ages?

I don't use Facebook, I don't use Twitter. I spend a substantial amount of time on 4chan and I go on reddit sometimes, too. But when that little reddit mail notification pops up on my tablet I like to check it, but I've left those things for hours before.

Quote:They couldn't even, like, read his work!
First, that's a fairly inappropriate use of like. Secondly, I thought that you were picking on kids here. From what you've written these people are adults. Way to stay on topic...

Quote:Nothing higher than a sixth-grade reading level on the home page
Are you seriously harping on this? They say this because the average reading level of the entire country is 6th grade. This includes adults.

Quote:What they do have, in abundance, is self-esteem — a faith in their competence on- and off-line that’s way out of proportion to their actual abilities. On the Narcissistic Personality Inventory, which asks whether you agree, for example, with the statement “I will be a success,” my son’s generation scores significantly higher than previous ones. Why not? Gerry Hartey, a longtime English teacher at La Salle College High School, observes, “Everything is easy for these kids. It’s right there at the click of a button. They don’t even have to go to the library.”
Isn't self-esteem terrible? Kids shouldn't have confidence. They should think that they're worthless pieces of shit who will never go anywhere or do anything in life.

Quote:Here’s the thing, though, as we fret about our kids’ online lives: It’s already their world, not ours. Young people have always rebelled against their elders, whether they were wearing zoot suits or listening to grunge. But a hallmark of civilization was that eventually, the kids gave up their rebel ways and folded, more or less quietly, into the adult world. That’s not going to happen with our kids, because their superior technical skills mean they’re already in charge. We’re being forced to adapt. We’re the followers; they’re the leaders. And it’s hard to imagine where they’re leading us, because they’re unlike us on such a fundamental level
Yes, because kids who know how to browse the web have much better technical skills than a computer scientist.

Quote:When you sat at a school desk and recited your times tables over and over, when you wrote out the periodic table of elements, when you practiced cursive penmanship, you were reinforcing memories, creating familiar paths for synapses, literally rewiring your brain for top-down attention. Your children’s neural networks are very different. Thanks to their Internet exposure, in place of steady repetition, they’re confronted, daily, by a barrage of novelty. There’s no pattern, no order, in either the input or the pathways it carves. “You have kids today who start on computers at three, four, five,” says Penn’s Chatterjee. “The younger you’re exposed, the more influence that has on the final configuration of the brain.”
When you sat at a school desk and recited your times tables over and over, when you wrote out the periodic table of elements, when you practiced cursive penmanship, you were reinforcing memories, creating familiar paths for synapses, literally rewiring your brain for top-down attention. Your children’s neural networks are very different. Thanks to their book exposure, in place of steady repetition, they’re confronted, daily, by a barrage of novelty. There’s no pattern, no order, in either the input or the pathways it carves. “You have kids today who start on books at three, four, five,” says Penn’s Chatterjee. “The younger you’re exposed, the more influence that has on the final configuration of the brain.”
I KNEW IT, YOUR BABY CAN READ IS EVIL!!!

Quote:LAST JANUARY, a young Florida mother was trying to play FarmVille on Facebook, but her three-month-old son kept crying. So she shook him to death.
I remember reading this story. Are you actually trying to blame Facebook for this? A woman with obvious anger issues and possible mental problems shook her son to death because he interrupted her. She could have been doing anything that was taking up her attention. She could have been reading, and we all know from your article that books are just so saintly.

Quote:but where can he go online to find out what being human means?
3deep5me

Quote:Why should she pay when she can get them for free?
Wait are we talking about piracy now? It's kind of funny how you complain about our ADD-ridden society and you can't even stay on topic.

Quote:Kids today are less and less able to inscribe ownership boundaries; they hand in papers that are pastiches of plagiarism, steal artwork, words, ideas. Part of this is because they grew up with a different notion of intellectual property: When Jay-Z samples the Chi-Lites, that’s not stealing; that’s giving props! But recent research shows that developing a conscience requires paying — here it is — attention to the small voice within that says, “That doesn’t belong to you.” And who can hear that small voice amid the Internet’s din?
wow ur so deep
And we all know that people never stole or plagiarized before the internet.

Quote:Tradition, Mark Bauerlein writes in The Dumbest Generation, “serves a crucial moral and intellectual function. … People who read Thucydides and Caesar on war, and Seneca and Ovid on love, are less inclined to construe passing fads as durable outlooks, to fall into the maelstrom of celebrity culture, to presume that the circumstances of their own life are worth a Web page.”
Glad you presented all those reliable sources.

Quote:“It’s a new world,” says math teacher Dean Rosencranz. “But we need to be careful we don’t give up something that can’t be replaced.” When kids use symbols to stand in for emotions, sprinkling their texts and e-mails with sad and happy faces, are they diminishing their ability to experience the real thing? That would explain the rabid popularity of “reality” TV shows in which people screech at one another like ramped-up, Red Bull-saturated harpies: Kids watch and say, Oh. So that’s what feeling something is like.

Yes. All children are shells of people incapable of feeling emotions. We use emoticons because, the last time I checked, people can't see our faces in text chat. The argument that that diminishes our ability to feel emotions is ridiculous and completely illogical.

Quote:In our rush to respond to the chime, the chirp, the bouncing icon, in our eagerness to prove ourselves multitaskers par excellence, in our willingness to sit alone at home and count our “friends,” ironically enough, we’re overlooking solitude’s real advantage: the opportunity it provides to develop what essayist Sven Birkerts describes in The Gutenberg Elegies as “our inwardness, our self-reflectiveness, our orientation to the unknown.” In other words: a soul.
OMG, that wuz so frikin deep. But I don't have to worry about my soul, because it's just a concept.

TL;DR:
This person is completely delusional but very deep.

RIP GORE GOROTH
RIP SAINTVICIOUS
(03-20-2013 05:08 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Stand up with pride and say "No! I will not be a McDonalds employee. I WILL BE A GARBAGE MAN!"

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2013 06:49 AM by Alistoriv.)
04-18-2013 05:28 AM
 Thanks given by: HawkbitAlpha , no , Rule_BreakerXVIII
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

Given 109 thank(s) in 93 post(s)

so i just took the narcissistic personality inventory and I got a 9...12-15 is average, celebrities are closer to 18, and narcissists are over 20...and i skimmed the first page, then i realized it was written in 2010...that's back when i wasn't a pirate and never even really thought about getting things for free at all and when i didn't use the computer as much as i played videogames (atleast i don't think so) and it's also when i was waiting for a book in the series that i'm (still because i haven't gotten the last book yet even though it's out) reading to come out in the summer of 2012.

also, students use calculators to solve 2*5 because of conditioning more than anything (use science to prove me wrong if you want, but i think it's mostly just because of this more than anything...ha that was an accident) and after I (i'm not speaking for everyone for a reason) get the answer i'm always like "why did i do that?...whatever"

anybody know what this guy is smoking and where i can get some?

The less you try to control things, the less you need to.

Boredom is the #1 enemy of learning. Therefore, school is the #1 enemy of learning.

"Bodies fucking fuck."~Night.Artist

[Image: 41433.png][Image: 14362714_1336391025.png]

Hidden stuff:
[Image: asschart.jpg]
Hidden stuff:

"free speech under the constitution only guarantees the government won't stop him saying it and does not guarantee his right to say things and have no consequences at all as a result. also i completely doubt that he is motivated solely by "i'm saying it because i can" and is probably motivated by a more shitheady motive like "i think it's funny to annoy people and Rustle Le Jimmies™ and is just hiding behind the first amendment to try to deflect any consequences or make you realize that being allowed to annoy people is a superior moral right. you can still disdain someone for doing things for dumbarse wankery purposes and you have evne more right to ban and insult them for it" ~Trar's friend about Potato.

Thanks for the diploma… can I have my childhood back?

I’d love to have a battle of wits with you… but I hate to fight the unarmed.
04-18-2013 08:19 AM
Alistoriv Offline
Sanity Not Included

Given 169 thank(s) in 114 post(s)

(04-18-2013 08:19 AM)Heil_Kaiba8921 Wrote:  so i just took the narcissistic personality inventory and I got a 9...12-15 is average, celebrities are closer to 18, and narcissists are over 20...and i skimmed the first page, then i realized it was written in 2010...that's back when i wasn't a pirate and never even really thought about getting things for free at all and when i didn't use the computer as much as i played videogames (atleast i don't think so) and it's also when i was waiting for a book in the series that i'm (still because i haven't gotten the last book yet even though it's out) reading to come out in the summer of 2012.

also, students use calculators to solve 2*5 because of conditioning more than anything (use science to prove me wrong if you want, but i think it's mostly just because of this more than anything...ha that was an accident) and after I (i'm not speaking for everyone for a reason) get the answer i'm always like "why did i do that?...whatever"

anybody know what this guy is smoking and where i can get some?
I scored a zero. 0_0
Not particularly sure if that's a good thing...

RIP GORE GOROTH
RIP SAINTVICIOUS
(03-20-2013 05:08 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Stand up with pride and say "No! I will not be a McDonalds employee. I WILL BE A GARBAGE MAN!"

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
04-18-2013 08:36 AM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

Given 109 thank(s) in 93 post(s)

yea, it doesn't say what a lower than avereage score means...but there were some questions (like on every personality assessment) that i just didn't have a good answer for:

3. I would do almost anything on a dare.
I tend to be a fairly cautious person.

There are things i would do on a dare (or without) because they seem fun in my head and yet, i don't usually do dangerous things because they scare the hell out of me sometimes...so what the hell dude?

10. I am not sure if I would make a good leader.
I see myself as a good leader.

I think I'd be a good leader, but my friend doesn't think i would be because if a country is starting problems like NK is, then I would just position some very big missiles pointed at them and ready to fire just to get them to shut up or risk death...i am a very mean ruler in the eyes of most countries and i like to follow the bombing practices of WW2 for the most part (bomb the hell out of anything you can't take over, but leave the high schools alone unless they are being used as barracks...i bombed the hell out of the homes of civilians who worked at military factories AND military factories because i wanted to demoralize people to stop supporting the war in any way)

The less you try to control things, the less you need to.

Boredom is the #1 enemy of learning. Therefore, school is the #1 enemy of learning.

"Bodies fucking fuck."~Night.Artist

[Image: 41433.png][Image: 14362714_1336391025.png]

Hidden stuff:
[Image: asschart.jpg]
Hidden stuff:

"free speech under the constitution only guarantees the government won't stop him saying it and does not guarantee his right to say things and have no consequences at all as a result. also i completely doubt that he is motivated solely by "i'm saying it because i can" and is probably motivated by a more shitheady motive like "i think it's funny to annoy people and Rustle Le Jimmies™ and is just hiding behind the first amendment to try to deflect any consequences or make you realize that being allowed to annoy people is a superior moral right. you can still disdain someone for doing things for dumbarse wankery purposes and you have evne more right to ban and insult them for it" ~Trar's friend about Potato.

Thanks for the diploma… can I have my childhood back?

I’d love to have a battle of wits with you… but I hate to fight the unarmed.
04-18-2013 08:48 AM
coffee Offline
not at all awkward

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Oh lawdy, that comment section is hilarious. Popcorn
04-20-2013 07:48 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  "These Kids Today" and technology... lisafromjackson 10 4,341 03-31-2015 10:29 AM
Last Post: Martins
  Violent Games blamed because of idiots Stealth 5 2,585 01-21-2010 11:42 PM
Last Post: Loxor
  Youth Rights and Youth Noise boards flcao 7 9,343 04-11-2005 07:42 AM
Last Post: EthanJP