RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anti-school debate on SpongeBuddy Mania
HawkbitAlpha Offline
Pariah

Given 95 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

This was back in December 2012.

Hidden stuff:
Prince Darkstar: Anyways, before you come in here and start yelling "HAVE FUN MUTTERING "DO YOU WANT FRIES WITH THAT?" THE REST OF YOUR LIFE" or "You're a failure who works in McDonalds if you don't go to school"...

If you are going to come in here and tell me that, then just turn off your ::dolphin noise::ing browser and leave. I don't have time for it. As I've said before, there have been many people who have been successful without the forced hellhole that is the compulsory public schooling system.

Now for some points you can't argue with...

A waste of money: You waste hundreds of dollars each year on school crap, when half of it is not even necessary (for example, when do you need to buy a freaking $100 school uniform wardrobe when you could save that on the stuff you really need?)

Repetitiveness: From the start to 8th grade, you learn the same ::dolphin noise:: over and over again, making it seem like a clockwork feeling within you.

Standardized tests: Don't even get me started with these crappy standardized tests; The only things I've been learning this year are the answers to the state's spring standardized test. Funny thing is, last year we were supposed to learn a whole new plethora of English topics last year, but they got carried away in teaching us the standardized test.

Ritualistic mornings: This is the funny part! You're always awoken at early hours to get dressed, get breakfast (maybe), and get your a** onto the school campus. This may not be common among most of you, but; I have to wake up at 4:30 IN THE FREAKING MORNING to get to school. Yes, because the dictator principal running the school decided to make us be there by 5AM and wait until 8AM for class to start. What a load of trash.

Social humiliation: In the times where the teachers aren't controlling every single thing you do, all the students congregate somewhere and form these ridiculous cliques which are just there to make your life difficult. It not only chips away your self-esteem, but also instills hatred.

Useless information: This is the most annoying part. When are we going to need to know how to graph y > -2x + 5 on a number line? When are we going to need to know the geography of the Battle of Gettysburg? When are we going to need to know how to write a 5-paragraph essay about a FRIGGIN POEM?

Maxwell: When are proofs actually going to serve me in life?

E.V.I.L:
Prince Dark on 19 Dec 2012 - 23:54 Wrote:,
WARNING: Explicit.

Since we killed the other topic about this, I decided to make one here.

Anyways, before you come in here and start yelling "HAVE FUN MUTTERING "DO YOU WANT FRIES WITH THAT?" THE REST OF YOUR LIFE" or "You're a failure who works in McDonalds if you don't go to school"...

What do you want, Subway?

If you are going to come in here and tell me that, then just turn off your ::dolphin noise::ing browser and leave. I don't have time for it. As I've said before, there have been many people who have been successful without the forced hellhole that is the compulsory public schooling system.

Yes, but the ratio of that success is so LOW, it's not even worth taking the risk
Now for some points you can't argue with...

A waste of money: You waste hundreds of dollars each year on school crap, when half of it is not even necessary (for example, when do you need to buy a freaking $100 school uniform wardrobe when you could save that on the stuff you really need?)

$100 of clothes vs $1000 of different outfits for school with getting picked on.

Repetitiveness: From the start to 8th grade, you learn the same ::dolphin noise:: over and over again, making it seem like a clockwork feeling within you.

And I can guarantee you wouldn't know any of that stuff if it wasn't "repeated". And if it bugged you that much, why didn't you take the test to skip the grade?

Standardized tests: Don't even get me started with these crappy standardized tests; The only things I've been learning this year are the answers to the state's spring standardized test. Funny thing is, last year we were supposed to learn a whole new plethora of English topics last year, but they got carried away in teaching us the standardized test.
Can't argue you on that, standardized test are unnecessary.

Ritualistic mornings: This is the funny part! You're always awoken at early hours to get dressed, get breakfast (maybe), and get your a** onto the school campus. This may not be common among most of you, but; I have to wake up at 4:30 IN THE FREAKING MORNING to get to school. Yes, because the dictator principal running the school decided to make us be there by 5AM and wait until 8AM for class to start. What a load of trash.

That's not school. That's YOUR SCHOOL. You need to have an adult (parents) complain or do a strike, because that is ridiculous.

Social humiliation: In the times where the teachers aren't controlling every single thing you do, all the students congregate somewhere and form these ridiculous cliques which are just there to make your life difficult. It not only chips away your self-esteem, but also instills hatred.

That's not the school's fault, and they can't do much about it. You gotta learn to be less sensitive.

Useless information: This is the most annoying part. When are we going to need to know how to graph y > -2x + 5 on a number line? When are we going to need to know the geography of the Battle of Gettysburg? When are we going to need to know how to write a 5-paragraph essay about a FRIGGIN POEM?

y>-2x+5 isn't even difficult, so don't complain with that. And math is like a book, you have to know what you are learning before you can move on. You need to know the history of your OWN COUNTRY. Way to be patriotic. And even if you don't need essays on the topics you do, you WILL NEED writing skills in the real world.

Got any other bright responses to throw at me?

And don't forget my 3 chocolate chip cookies in my McDonald's order.

NastyPatty2002: I honestly honestly honestly am against any belief of "no school" however, it is indeed hard to deny some of these points. Indeed, some of the standardized tests are awful (VA and our SOLs ),

and honestly, Prince Star, you are right about social humiliation. Speaking for myself mostly ( ) I'm what the sea cucumbers and anchovies call....a "loser". Hoenstly, I'm pretty socially awkward in person, and that's just me. But the fact that some group projects or dance things in gym or organized (forced) sports take place in gym, and make you form teams, the fact that one is ALWAYS ::dolphin noise::ING PICKED LAST (THAT'S ME BY THE WAY) IS INDEED A LOAD OF BULL::dolphin noise::. And not only that, but indeed students just point fingerse and say (what a loser, what an outcast.). and most of the times, the teacher just stands there. a ::dolphin noise::ing bystander. I of course stand for my school, as I know attending there for 3 years, some of the faculty there will never change, I'm not saying it is all school (E.V.I.L. is right about that) but the schools that DO have that "divided" social stance need to ::dolphin noise::ing wake up and smell the gunpowder. I hate social bull::dolphin noise::, and honestly wish that all would just melt away...melt away.

But otherwise, you know, being the somewhat misunderstood genius, I really don't wanna take any other shots at our public education systems. (PRIVATE, WHICH DOES COST MONEY, PUBLIC DOES NOT!!!)

And from what I've learned about Greek mythology in English, I can proudly blame all of the world's problems on Pandora and her ::dolphin noise::ing box.

E.V.I.L: You're getting sick of the McDonald's posts, but that's exactly where you're going to work with your attitude. Hell, I don't think you'll get a job with your ignorant attitude.

ssj4gogita4:
E.V.I.L, on 20 Dec 2012 - 16:14 Wrote:You're getting sick of the McDonald's posts, but that's exactly where you're going to work with your attitude. Hell, I don't think you'll get a job with your ignorant attitude.
I don't know any history of the united states other than what I learn/forget in history class. And I really don't want to. I hate history...no matter what country. Does that make me unpatriotic? And if it does, who cares? I live in the country and still support everyone else, work, go to school, etc. Heck, I even go out of the way to help the homeless with a few bucks here and there or free food.

E.V.I.L:
ssj4gogita4, on 20 Dec 2012 - 17:01 Wrote:I don't know any history of the united states other than what I learn/forget in history class. And I really don't want to. I hate history...no matter what country. Does that make me unpatriotic? And if it does, who cares? I live in the country and still support everyone else, work, go to school, etc. Heck, I even go out of the way to help the homeless with a few bucks here and there or free food.

I'm not saying you have to know every little fact either though. Just general knowledge of the history of the United States, so we know how we've come to where we are. So what you learned in history class is enough.

ssj4gogita4: And yet I forgot just about everything in history.

9/11
July 4, 1776

That's about it...

E.V.I.L:
ssj4gogita4, on 20 Dec 2012 - 17:06 Wrote:And yet I forgot just about everything in history.

9/11
July 4, 1776

That's about it...

And that's good enough almost.

But I doubt you don't know about the World Wars.

similemetaphor: I don't know much about history. It's in a different language, which makes it ridiculously insanely difficult. Any other subject I'm good at.
Don't worry, you won't be working at McDonalds at all. It's too hard to work there for someone who doesn't know math...

Dazed: English major right here!

I don't know. School pushes people to work their hardest and, honestly, since everyone's different, school is going to lead students to different places. Some become actors, some become teachers, some become bankers. But school is there to help students decide what they want to make of themselves. School is also there for social development. Discovering what makes people comfortable, keeping up to date with events, and creating bonds with people that might remain there for you for the rest of your life.

School's repetitive, yes, but it's only because the school is trying to be fair to the millions of students who attend it each year. Honestly, I enjoyed my school run through and am pretty sad to have graduated.

RIP GWEDIN (2013-2017)
RIP URITIYOGI (2016-2017)
RIP NIGHT (2009-2017)
RIP VONUNOV (2008-2017)
RIP WES/THEWAKE (2007-2017)
RIP USERNAME (2013-2017)
RIP HAWKBIT (2013-2017)
RIP SS

"Write me a little report of [my video], so I know you watched it, or you get another warning. One of my other goals is to make this forum a bit of my own class...So, tell me, how you feel about the new rule of having you do homework? Or you get another warning. So, do you want to do this or not?...Please send a PM and tell me if you're willing or not. I will probably give you 24 hours to send the PM. No PM will indicate to me that, no, you don't want to do things in this new way. So, you will be saying goodbye."
-Stevehein, promise-maker and Führer moderator of SJW-Survival, 2017

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2013 11:21 AM by HawkbitAlpha.)
04-12-2013 05:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dead Offline
Goon

Given 288 thank(s) in 176 post(s)

E.V.I.L is an idiot. He said school uniforms are necessary in order not to get picked on, but later he said bullying victims have to learn to become less sensitive. And pretty much everything else he said is bullshit.
04-12-2013 06:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: E.V.I.L
E.V.I.L Offline
Defiant

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
RE: Anti-school debate on SpongeBuddy Mania

(04-12-2013 06:26 AM)Dead Wrote:  E.V.I.L is an idiot. He said school uniforms are necessary in order not to get picked on, but later he said bullying victims have to learn to become less sensitive. And pretty much everything else he said is bullshit.

First off, if I said anything offensive or rude, I hereby apologize.

Also, thank you sir, I am glad about your input, and although I disagree with you, I do feel I may have typed some inaccurate things on there due to anger.

For starters, although I agree with the uniforms avoiding getting picked on, I do agree that at the same time you should be able to express yourself.

I can agree with this website hating on SCHOOLS. I hate things like schools, offices, etc. because of how the government's sole purpose is money and business rather than our country's citizens but that is a separate topic.

But to show you why I think my "bullshit" makes sense, I will try to explain. If you still don't feel the same way however, I will respect your opinion and keep things civil.

What do you want, Subway?
That was another post out of anger, and I should not have said that as that was immature and rude.

Yes, but the ratio of that success is so LOW, it's not even worth taking the risk

I very well agree some of the most famous people dropped out of their education. Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckenburg. But I remember once reading an article (unfortunately I don't remember what it was) where Mark said that he could not have accomplished what he did without the education he did have. This proves although the parabola and permutation algebra crap is unnecessary, you will find necessary courses in your life that will help you succeed.

$100 of clothes vs $1000 of different outfits for school with getting picked on.

I also admit this was a downright dumb thing to say, and I do agree the over-the-top uniforms are something to be against about. I would prefer if a school "uniform" was a t-shirt and pants, not a $100 outfit.

And I can guarantee you wouldn't know any of that stuff if it wasn't "repeated". And if it bugged you that much, why didn't you take the test to skip the grade?

I should probably explain this more maturely and logically. See, how you memorize stuff isn't just by looking at a list and then throwing away the papers along with the knowledge after the test. In fact, I feel this is way too common here in the Northeast US, memorizing and forgetting. The repeating is done because then you will remember these skills for your life. And although we as advanced humans take it for granted, we use math without even knowing it. I know I've had to do multiplications like 24x365 in my head and use factoring without even knowing it. I know I've had to do algebra to calculate cards I've had to memorize with the SAT, WHICH I HATE WITH ALL MY LIFE, but I can make a separate topic for that both on SpongeBuddy Mania and this website if you please. To conclude this part, it is like a language. You forget it unless you speak it everyday. Wink

Can't argue you on that, standardized test are unnecessary.

After spending 5 months on training for SAT, I can assure you this quote is 100% accurate!!!

That's not school. That's YOUR SCHOOL. You need to have an adult (parents) complain or do a strike, because that is ridiculous.

This is quoting Prince Darkstar (poster of this thread) having to go to school at 4:30AM. I'm sorry, but what the heck? That is the part of education I hate, the schools. I seriously think someone needs to stand up for their freedom, does he go to military school?!

That's not the school's fault, and they can't do much about it. You gotta learn to be less sensitive.

I'm 50/50 on this one. I agree that teachers and principals can do a LOT more than simply telling the student to stop being a crybaby, but there is an extent where eventually you have to be like "man, I just got to ignore this kid". If bullies are harassing you, report it to the principal. If he/she does nothing and it's something serious such as racism or assault, take it with your school superintendent. HE/SHE DOES NOTHING and you take it with the police.

y>-2x+5 isn't even difficult, so don't complain with that. And math is like a book, you have to know what you are learning before you can move on. You need to know the history of your OWN COUNTRY. Way to be patriotic. And even if you don't need essays on the topics you do, you WILL NEED writing skills in the real world.

Can't tell you the fraction but I agree that things like y>2x+5 are way below the spectrum of stuff to be complaining with our schooling system. And yes, I still agree you need to know about your own country. And essays are indeed a pain in the butt, but these and SOME math topics are honestly the closest to preparing you for the real world. And I say this not from MY knowledge, but seeing my sister and brother-in-law doing all these dumb letters, essays, and presentations...... to become physicians. You wouldn't associate writing with healthcare, now would you? Well it is there.

and by the way one more thing, don't go off calling people idiots over one post. It definitely doesn't offend me at all but I can definitely bet you it will offend someone at SBM -_- Razz

That concludes my response, and I do once again apologize for conflict, and now this topic doesn't anger me (Nutter), here's my actual opinions.Biggrin

P.S. THANK YOU FOR NOT FORGETTING THE DOTS ON MY NAME Wink

P.S.S Why are you posting a topic from 4 months ago anyways.... just curious.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2013 09:11 AM by E.V.I.L.)
04-12-2013 09:01 AM
Dead Offline
Goon

Given 288 thank(s) in 176 post(s)

I'm sorry. I shouldn't have called you an idiot, I didn't really mean it. I just sort of skimmed through what you said to him before, too. I posted on it even though it was from 4 months ago because he just posted the conversation today. I'm sorry. I know you said it didn't bother you but I still feel bad :/ I was the person being the idiot. And no, I don't think everything you said was "bullshit" I just skimmed through it. It was immature of me and I didn't even know you. Sorry
04-12-2013 09:38 AM
 Thanks given by: E.V.I.L
AtheistLGBTQAnarchist Offline
Peace Loving Blood Lover

Given 47 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

I read everything you said, and not only do you not have the IQ you think you have, but you're an asshole in my opinion you don't give a fuck about. Also wtf is wrong with McDonalds? You sound like an asian that's saying, "That has no honor!". Not to sound racist because I prefer myself as an equalist, but the first sentence I read from you made me smell bullshit E.V.I.L.

Congratulations humanity,because you refuse to let go of the old and evolve you actually make people believe in 2012. Not only that, but you're the only species on Earth that were able to make it possible, now we get to sit until we die because we couldn't get to Mars. We have failed as a society and don't deserve our gifts to survive for this long. Maybe this is why dinosaurs are extinct, we sure aren't any better than the dirt you say we're created from. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...DvwSOFto#! Noo

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
-Albert Einstein

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."
-Benjamin Franklin
04-12-2013 10:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HawkbitAlpha Offline
Pariah

(04-12-2013 09:01 AM)E.V.I.L Wrote:  P.S.S Why are you posting a topic from 4 months ago anyways.... just curious.

Me and Dazed brought it back recently, and since I'm here now, I just decided to bring it here

Also, there was another debate on SBM's enemy website where me and E.V.I.L had accounts at also. But I got kicked out recently and the thread was moved, so I can't access it as it is now in a member-only forum.

I'll attempt to log in and find it

RIP GWEDIN (2013-2017)
RIP NIGHT (2009-2017)
RIP VONUNOV (2008-2017)
RIP USERNAME (2013-2017)
RIP HAWKBIT (2013-2017)
RIP SS

"Write me a little report of [my video], so I know you watched it, or you get another warning. One of my other goals is to make this forum a bit of my own class...So, tell me, how you feel about the new rule of having you do homework? Or you get another warning. So, do you want to do this or not?...Please send a PM and tell me if you're willing or not. I will probably give you 24 hours to send the PM. No PM will indicate to me that, no, you don't want to do things in this new way. So, you will be saying goodbye."

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2013 11:03 AM by HawkbitAlpha.)
04-12-2013 10:38 AM
E.V.I.L Offline
Defiant

(04-12-2013 09:38 AM)Dead Wrote:  I'm sorry. I shouldn't have called you an idiot, I didn't really mean it. I just sort of skimmed through what you said to him before, too. I posted on it even though it was from 4 months ago because he just posted the conversation today. I'm sorry. I know you said it didn't bother you but I still feel bad :/ I was the person being the idiot. And no, I don't think everything you said was "bullshit" I just skimmed through it. It was immature of me and I didn't even know you. Sorry

It's okay dude Biggrin
04-12-2013 11:01 AM
HawkbitAlpha Offline
Pariah

Okay, I found the other article on SBC. Expect it shortly

RIP GWEDIN (2013-2017)
RIP NIGHT (2009-2017)
RIP VONUNOV (2008-2017)
RIP USERNAME (2013-2017)
RIP HAWKBIT (2013-2017)
RIP SS

Hidden stuff:
04-12-2013 11:06 AM
E.V.I.L Offline
Defiant

(04-12-2013 10:10 AM)AtheistLGBTQAnarchist Wrote:  I read everything you said, and not only do you not have the IQ you think you have, but you're an asshole in my opinion you don't give a fuck about. Also wtf is wrong with McDonalds? You sound like an asian that's saying, "That has no honor!". Not to sound racist because I prefer myself as an equalist, but the first sentence I read from you made me smell bullshit E.V.I.L.

And getting rude with me is exactly the line where I decide to act like an asshole.

First of all, how do you KNOW I think I have an IQ? Really, all I've been thinking my whole life is how dumb I am. So instead of sitting on the screen of your darned computer and calling random goddamn people you don't know dumb, you actually make a CLEVER post about why you don't like school.

Second, what the hell am I supposed to say if I don't say McDonalds? Pizza Hut? Subway? WTF it isn't like I was supposed to use google. ANd besides, I literally a few posts back wrote an apology post about all the dumb McDonalds stuff I said

Third, you say you are an equalist but as soon as you see my opinion, you are quick to label me dumb and asian. Don't give me this equalist shit and then act like that.

Okay, now not involving that person, I do have something to say. I actualyl did read this site a little even before I got too active on SBM (which was august 2012 I would say when I got active). If I had to be truthful, most of you guys have valid responses that I agree with, and I really should have read the website intro because it mentioned how you guys weren't against LEARNING. I personally hate the education system and I am very glad you guys do too. Wink Anyways, I just make one more apology for anything immature I said, and I hope I cleared up any negative feelings. Smile
04-12-2013 11:08 AM
E.V.I.L Offline
Defiant

(04-12-2013 10:38 AM)Prince Darkstar Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 09:01 AM)E.V.I.L Wrote:  P.S.S Why are you posting a topic from 4 months ago anyways.... just curious.

Me and Dazed brought it back recently, and since I'm here now, I just decided to bring it here

Also, there was another debate on SBM's enemy website where me and E.V.I.L had accounts at also. But I got kicked out recently and the thread was moved, so I can't access it as it is now in a member-only forum.

Wait what when did you get kicked out whaaaa o_O
04-12-2013 11:10 AM
HawkbitAlpha Offline
Pariah

Hidden stuff:
Prince Darkstar: WARNING! Long post. This topic is a combination of multiple anti-school articles

You're daydreaming, wishing you were at home, doing something that was actually interesting, when suddenly your math teacher asks you what the square root of 2.8897687 is.

School is torture - because forced education sucks

If you hate being forced to go to school, you've come to the right topic.
If you hate being forced to go to school, you're not alone.

Every Mon-Fri, millions of kids across the US are slapped into pointless uniforms, marched into school buildings made to look like jails, lectured to total boredom, forced to write until their hands fall off, bullied to death (sometimes), and go home every Friday gasping TGIF. 9 months a year, 5 days a week, 10 hours a day (for me, at least).

If you expose your hatred of school, the teachers or adults will be quick to label you as "troubled" or "defiant" or diagnose you with a ton of disorders.

There is nothing wrong with hating school, there is nothing wrong with hating being forced to go to someplace you don't want to and be "taught" things that would kill you if boredom were lethal.

You're not worthless if you don't get good grades, & you're not mentally ill if the thought of school scares you.

But kids need an education...

Well, being bored is hardly a way to learn anything! School isn't about learning, it's about training people to be obedient to those with authority over them.

They say school is a right. Well, I call bull. Rights can be refused if you want to. There are 2 words here: Right and obligation. Let's define them.

Right: A basic freedom required given to a person but can easily be turned down
Obligation: Something by which a person is bound or obliged to do certain things, and arises out of a sense of duty or results from custom, law, etc.

What would school be classified as?

Obligation, of course.

The way it is now, school is slavery. Forced, unpaid, pointless work. So far, I have been forced to throw away 10 1/2 years of my life because the morons running the government are acting like I'm a number that wants to be sentenced to 12 years of boredom and torture.

And theeeeen, we have our greaaaaaaaat president Barack Obama who wants to step in. His plan was to make it longer. 10 1/2 months a year, 7 days a week, and 14 HOURS A DAY FOR ME. I'm surprised he hasn't been murdered yet! If this plan ever goes into effect, I'd better start being paid! I'm not going to stay in school that long for free!

So in the end, if you had to pick school or jail, pick jail. You'd have more fun in jail than you would at school.

-Prince Darkstar

Maxwell: Ugh I can relate so damn much to this! I can't stand school anymore! Especially Geometry! I mean, when will knowing what the proof for CPCTC, AAS, SSS, AAS? GRR! I am so sick of it!

Michaelmn: I agree with you Prince darkstar Obama is planing to make School Longer and my Comment: THE STUPIDEST IDEA EVER

Jelly: Well Mister Darkstar, you're not gonna like what I have to say about this then
I got my major in education, meaning I'm gonna be a teacher, hehe, funny right? I'm paying to stay IN school..but..how old are you? no more than 12 or 13 I'll assume..when you're out of high school and desperate looking for a job, you'll see why school is so important. And not just the basic "need school to get a job" mumbo jumbo, but there are tons of things I wouldn't have known if it weren't because school (I feel obligated to put "duh" here)
I know what you mean about being bored to death, but I know teachers that do try to make their lessons as interesting as possible (God, I hope I'll be able to be one of those teachers) and yeah, you may feel you're being forced to it, but hate to be all Mother Jelly here, but it's for your own good, and if you try to see how enriching it is to learn new things, then it won't be so much as a drag anymore...it's like when you watch documentaries in Discovery Channel..you're learning there, you know... try to see that in school as well.
And it's a right because, well..shouldn't everyone have the right to become smarter and build up their path to become better adults? No, it's not a guarantee that once you go to school, you'll have a right future, but your chances definitely increase.
So, my advice is to try to see the positive side of it, and take it from someone that is much older than you and yes, hated to go to school too, but once you grow up, you think "yahh..maybe I was wrong and this does pay off at the end" k?

E.V.I.L:
Prince Darkstar, on 02 November 2012 - 05:29 PM Wrote:WARNING! Long post. This topic is a combination of multiple anti-school articles

You're daydreaming, wishing you were at home, doing something that was actually interesting, when suddenly your math teacher asks you what the square root of 2.8897687 is.

1) I've never been asked to do something stupid like that 2) Calculators FTW 3) If your teachers are ACTUALLY making you do problems like that, they need to stop. That is stuff that really will not help you in life.
School is torture - because forced education sucks

If you hate being forced to go to school, you've come to the right topic.
If you hate being forced to go to school, you're not alone.

It's true you aren't forced to go to work, but the cost of that is living on the streets. Do you want to work at McDonalds? Oh wait, that's right, I need to graduate from High School for that.

Every Mon-Fri, millions of kids across the US are slapped into pointless uniforms, I myself do not agree with uniforms! marched into school buildings made to look like jails, lectured to total boredom, forced to write until their hands fall off, I agree there should be way more hands on activity bullied to death (sometimes), This is sad indeed. and go home every Friday gasping TGIF. 9 months a year, 5 days a week, 10 hours a day (for me, at least).So do people who work for a living, except it is 12 months a year.

If you expose your hatred of school, the teachers or adults will be quick to label you as "troubled" or "defiant" or diagnose you with a ton of disorders. This, I agree with you 100%. I can't stand it when adults tell me I HAVE to like school, like seriously? Maybe in the future I'll like work more, who knows.? Also, mental diseases are VERY OVER DIAGNOSED in my opinion, very few people who I see that are diagnosed with things like ADHD, ODD, and ADD truly need that help. It absolutely bugs me when these kids get extra time on tests on crap because of overdiagnosed mental disease. people who TRULY have this disease, I respect you and do not mean to offend you.

There is nothing wrong with hating school, there is nothing wrong with being forced to go to someplace you don't want to and be "taught" things that would kill you if boredom were lethal. Agreed.

You're not worthless if you don't get good grades, & you're not mentally ill if the thought of school scares you. Agreed once again

But kids need an education... agreed

Well, being bored is hardly a way to learn anything! School isn't about learning, it's about training people to be obedient to those with authority over them. That's a big problem with America's current education, school is becoming less about learning and more about effort and stuff like that. I believe there should be more hands-on, not just vocabulary lists.

They say school is a right. Well, I call bull. Rights can be refused if you want to. There are 2 words here: Right and obligation. Let's define them.

Right: A basic freedom required given to a person but can easily be turned down
Obligation: Something by which a person is bound or obliged to do certain things, and arises out of a sense of duty or results from custom, law, etc.

What would school be classified as?

Obligation, of course.
This statement especially pisses me off. DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THE STORY IN PAKISTAN WHERE THE GIRL GOT SHOT FOR WANTING AN EDUCATION?!?! No offense, but are the writers of this article that selfish? You can not have a job without high school graduation, or a job to put food on your plate. So many kids would do ANYTHING for an education. I really truly wish you would realize that before saying extremely stupid shit like this.

The way it is now, school is slavery. Forced, unpaid, pointless work.SLAVERY?! Lawl, you need to learn what slavery is, school and the workforce are FAR from slavery. FAR. Yeah, it's unpaid to teach you how to get a job so you can get paid. You aren't just going to work at McDOnalds the minute you are born.
So far, I have been forced to throw away 10 1/2 years of my life because the morons running the government are acting like I'm a number that wants to be sentenced to 12 years of boredom and torture.
People in school and even the workplace have lots of time for themselves. You don't need 24 hours everyday to rant about stupid crap like this on the internet.

And theeeeen, we have our greaaaaaaaat president Barack Obama who wants to step in. His plan was to make it longer. 10 1/2 months a year, 7 days a week, and 14 HOURS A DAY FOR ME. I'm surprised he hasn't been murdered yet! If this plan ever goes into effect, I'd better start being paid! I'm not going to stay in school that long for free!

Okay, I'll agree with you on this. This is ridiculous, and a school student should get weekends off, as adults in the workforce do too.

So in the end, if you had to pick school or jail, pick jail. You'd have more fun in jail than you would at school.
Yes, because having mental breakdowns in a place where you can't talk to anyone for help is so much fun.
-Prince Darkstar

In the quoted post, I will post my response to every point.

Mr. Dr. Professor Patrick: Believe it or not, America has one of the easiest curriculums. I can see why Obama wants to make school longer: simply, people like you don't care about school, and they don't even try.

School is actually really important. Yeah, I can see where you're saying that Geometry will never help you in life, but it's learning how to use critical thinking that actually helps. I don't know how many times I've heard people say that employers look for critical thinking, and most people don't even put that on their resumes. Math is one of the easiest ways to learn how to use critical thinking. Social studies trains you to retain information. Science, like math, helps you with critical thinking. The fine arts helps you with being able to express yourself and tap into originality. All of this helps you become a better person and a better candidate for a job.

Now think of it this way: other countries in the world are far smarter than Americans are. Why? They actually try in school. Asians are the best at this because their society and how society looks upon you, as a student, entirely depends on your class rank. There's a ton of pressure on you if you start failing. That's mainly why you see a lot of Asians really high on the corporate ladder: they've trained themselves their entire lives in building up their critical thinking, information retainment, and originality. It only makes sense that they'd be that high in position!

I'm not ranting to say that you're stupid, but you could be a little more open minded about school...

ClassicNickelodeon Fan 1: Actually, I have to agree with the side who isn't hating going to school(Jelly, MS, JCM, MDPP, etc.) I know that school can sometimes feel like torture.(Believe me, I hate it sometimes) And sometime I think some of this will never help me. But all in all, it will eventually pay off and I'll get a nice job somewhere, and make money, etc. If I didn't go to school, I wouldn't be here right now typing this. In fact, NONE OF US would be here without it. We would have never created this site because we wouldn't have known how to make it, since it involves reading and typing(or in other words, writing.) So, school eventually pays off. It helped us read and write, and it will eventually help you get a job and be able to support a family, etc. All in all, I suggest to just look at the positives of school, instead of the negatives, and actually try to pay attention. Hey, you might learn something that could interest you.

Mr. Dr. Professor Patrick:
ClassicNickelodeon Fan 1, on 03 November 2012 - 09:26 AM Wrote:We would have never created this site because we wouldn't have known how to make it, since it involves reading and typing(or in other words, writing.)

You're actually very spot-on with this. PHP requires a great deal of math and logic. If I didn't know how to say "If post count is over 2,000, show this picture", then Badges would have never been released. I would have never made it. Other features would have never came as well. I also self-taught myself website coding, so none of my classes in grade school ever helped me with PHP directly; however, the knowledge I learned with math actually helped a lot with my development as a website designer.

Mr. Dr. Professor Patrick (later post):
Prince Darkstar, on 04 November 2012 - 10:43 PM Wrote:I wrote the jail part, but here's the other one

http://www.school-su..._is_slavery.php

Also, here's a long post about the subject by a psychologist
http://www.school-su...hool_phobic.php

Your second link isn't about schools directly. You misinterpreted the article. The article was originally for the "Taking Children Seriously" movement, which involves Sarah Fitz-Claridge; the movement is about the struggles between adults and children, and how families can live together without having one person getting what they want and the other suffers (e.g. a parent telling a kid to clean up a room or they're grounded). The context of the article wasn't talking about children going to school and their torture, but rather the parents forcing their children going to school when they don't want to.

"Children whose parents would neither dream of forcing them to go to school nor of preventing them from going, and who support their children in anything they want to do, and who do not allow themselves to be drawn by the school system into a conspiracy against their children, have a very different experience of school if they do choose to go."

Also, the website you linked is actually a support site for students who hate school. It never actually says anything about forced education, but rather it's a website to help you cope with having to go to school. Look at this quote:

FAQ - School-Survival.net Wrote:But you NEED an education! How can you say education isn't important?!?!
Hold it right there. You said "education". This site is against compulsory school, not education. Education is definitely a good thing, but do you honestly believe school is the only place on earth where a person can become "educated"? Or that school actually provides a decent education in the first place? How much of the stuff you learned in school do you remember right now? How long after you wrote your last exam did you forget most of the material?

If you say that forced education is bad, then you're wrong. Education is a good thing. If you wanted to talk about the laws that force you to be in school, then that's a different subject. Otherwise, your argument doesn't make sense.

Honestly, I think you've been misguided.

(04-12-2013 11:10 AM)E.V.I.L Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 10:38 AM)Prince Darkstar Wrote:  

Wait what when did you get kicked out whaaaa o_O

The end of March

PS: notice how I used some of SS's articles/homepage in my topic. Soul, 5, Sarah Fitz-Claridge...they all culminated in that one post

RIP GWEDIN (2013-2017)
RIP NIGHT (2009-2017)
RIP VONUNOV (2008-2017)
RIP USERNAME (2013-2017)
RIP HAWKBIT (2013-2017)
RIP SS

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2013 02:16 PM by HawkbitAlpha.)
04-12-2013 11:19 AM
E.V.I.L Offline
Defiant

Oh bleh I have to restate more posts.... ughh

well you know that article was when i was typing all angrily and honestly it is the same thing as SBM

EXCEPT

I agree with things insulting the school, like slavery and that. I feel I should be allowed to use the bathroom when I need to. Wink

AND that Pakistani getting shot story was because I forgot you guys valued education, just not schooling system.

I hope that replaces everything THERE (SBC/SBU) as well Razz
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2013 11:26 AM by E.V.I.L.)
04-12-2013 11:26 AM
HawkbitAlpha Offline
Pariah

Now I'm unable to tell which side you're on lol

And as Eintity has told us:

[Image: 460_4092970.gif]

RIP GWEDIN (2013-2017)
RIP NIGHT (2009-2017)
RIP VONUNOV (2008-2017)
RIP USERNAME (2013-2017)
RIP HAWKBIT (2013-2017)
RIP SS

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2013 11:32 AM by HawkbitAlpha.)
04-12-2013 11:32 AM
E.V.I.L Offline
Defiant

(04-12-2013 11:32 AM)Prince Darkstar Wrote:  Now I'm unable to tell which side you're on lol

I'm not on any "side" per se, rather I agree with you guys on the schooling SYSTEM, but I disagree with the people on here who think they don't need to learn anything at all.
04-12-2013 11:41 AM
HawkbitAlpha Offline
Pariah

(04-12-2013 11:41 AM)E.V.I.L Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 11:32 AM)Prince Darkstar Wrote:  Now I'm unable to tell which side you're on lol

I'm not on any "side" per se, rather I agree with you guys on the schooling SYSTEM, but I disagree with the people on here who think they don't need to learn anything at all.

Actually I haven't met many people on here who think that actual education isn't important. Take a look at this entire section:

http://forums.school-survival.net/forumd....php?fid=6

Many of them are merely vents about something stupid that happened at school.

RIP GWEDIN (2013-2017)
RIP NIGHT (2009-2017)
RIP VONUNOV (2008-2017)
RIP USERNAME (2013-2017)
RIP HAWKBIT (2013-2017)
RIP SS

Hidden stuff:
04-12-2013 02:18 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Pfft. Who wants to learn? I just want to sit and get brainwashed by the stuff on TV.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
04-12-2013 09:59 PM
 Thanks given by: HawkbitAlpha
E.V.I.L Offline
Defiant

(04-12-2013 09:59 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Pfft. Who wants to learn? I just want to sit and get brainwashed by the stuff on TV.

See the thing is learning isn't memorizing vocabulary lists, like the government wants you to believe. Learning is adding to your knowledge, whether it is minor like learning how to get to a certain TV channel faster, or something moderate like learning how to hike in the rain, or even something major like learning how the brain works. Whatever it is, one should learn something everyday, and it doesn't have to be vocabulary flashcards or textbook highlighting. You see what I'm getting at here, right? Wink
04-13-2013 05:51 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Or like learning what the Higgs-Boson actually is and how quantum teleportation works(which is not similar to the common conception of teleportation). Maybe even the basics of the science between Nuclear Fission by written by a professor of the University of Chicago back in 60s. Or even a copy of Einsteins lessons of relativity to Princeton students.

Yep. School is like reading a book on potty training for kids for me. And I agree, TV taught me a lot. I learned about a bunch of violent barbarian tribes from the History channel, How stuff is made on the Science channel, Military tactics from the Military channel and about Ancient Egypt from the national geographic channel(And not to trust sentient AI from the Terminator, How to beat cyborgs effectively from Battlestar Galactica, Zombie ass-kicking from zombie movies etc).

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
04-13-2013 06:05 AM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

(04-12-2013 11:41 AM)E.V.I.L Wrote:  

I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a single person on here who holds that opinion. People on this forum just want to learn more freely, rather than being boxed in by a rigid school-curriculum which drains away time when they could be learning something else. If you've seen posts here suggesting otherwise though feel free to link them and I'll concede that there is a small population on here who disagrees with the concept of learning entirely. That'd be a shocker to me though, and I've been posting on here for years.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2013 03:18 AM by Sunbourn.)
04-14-2013 03:18 AM
 Thanks given by: HawkbitAlpha , Trar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Why Does the Anti-School Crowd Lean Left? Aureate 8 4,513 02-15-2017 06:56 PM
Last Post: the Analogist
  My School's Anti-Free Time Policies KFC Nyan Cat 17 9,752 01-21-2017 08:39 AM
Last Post: Superkamiguru
  Anti-School Yet Pro School MurkScribe 2 2,537 07-08-2015 12:29 PM
Last Post: Dikont5
  school is anti-night people craxyguy562 12 4,645 01-17-2015 08:42 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  The Anti-School Movement - Where Are We Now? GamerGurl 30 19,277 09-02-2014 11:24 AM
Last Post: Missile
  Made an anti school site sanchixx 16 8,143 01-26-2014 11:16 AM
Last Post: Gwedin
  Sending anti-school propaganda to every teacher Sharpie 36 18,400 01-14-2014 03:36 PM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  My fucking annoying parents & an anti-school video GamerGurl 10 12,620 02-27-2013 09:20 PM
Last Post: GamerGurl
  A long anti school conversation with a friend of mine over steam Kretus9999 9 6,421 10-17-2012 07:08 AM
Last Post: Lambda_Physicist
  Anti-School Debate (Someone WILL rage at this) Miller0700 13 7,121 09-08-2012 03:56 PM
Last Post: Miller0700