RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does Computer class teach us?
Luna Offline
Team Rocket Executive

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

In Computers we had to make a scene painting with a crappy trial program. What the hell is this teaching us? We've had to make shapes in a crappier program. Just, what does this teach us? "How to make shapes in a shitty program."? I just can't comprehend that stupidity..
04-07-2013 12:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

Everything useful I've learned about computers, I've learned from using one the way I wanted to.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
04-07-2013 12:25 PM
HawkbitAlpha Offline
Pariah

Given 95 thank(s) in 67 post(s)
RE: What does Computer class teach us?

(04-07-2013 12:25 PM)DoA Wrote:  Everything useful I've learned about computers, I've learned from using one the way I wanted to.

This. I neeever learned about computers using the labs. Up until 2007 when I started using a home desktop

Hell, some schools even limit the level of user control on their computers. You can only use certain programs/do certain things...if you tried to even open the freaking control panel, it would say you had no access to it.

Why am I not surprised by this?

RIP GWEDIN (2013-2017)
RIP URITIYOGI (2016-2017)
RIP NIGHT (2009-2017)
RIP VONUNOV (2008-2017)
RIP WES/THEWAKE (2007-2017)
RIP USERNAME (2013-2017)
RIP HAWKBIT (2013-2017)
RIP SS

"Write me a little report of [my video], so I know you watched it, or you get another warning. One of my other goals is to make this forum a bit of my own class...So, tell me, how you feel about the new rule of having you do homework? Or you get another warning. So, do you want to do this or not?...Please send a PM and tell me if you're willing or not. I will probably give you 24 hours to send the PM. No PM will indicate to me that, no, you don't want to do things in this new way. So, you will be saying goodbye."
-Stevehein, promise-maker and Führer moderator of SJW-Survival, 2017

Hidden stuff:
04-07-2013 04:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
(´・ω・`) Offline
Pariah

Given 100 thank(s) in 72 post(s)

They're simply typewriter classes without the typewriters. They sometimes try to "spice it up", but it massively fails when attempted. Really, I'm not surprised that they polish the keyboards "kitten soft", at least at my school when I was there.

Hidden stuff:

Quote:<sug> i dont think ive ever been an atheist
<sug> i worship the superplayer

Returned after years hiatus.
04-07-2013 11:14 PM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

It's just a way to kill time and get a credit doing something fun.

Also, Prince Darkstar! You play San Andreas Multiplayer? I fuckin love Crazy
Bob's.
04-07-2013 11:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Oh lolz, the teachers at my school wouldn't even have known HOW to restrict anything like that. They called ME whenever something computer-related went wrong. Epic fun times for getting out of class to browse the interweb.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
04-08-2013 01:39 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Most we were ever taught about computers was using the command prompt. We kept getting new teachers that taught us the same thing over and over:internet safety and computer parts. Both which the class failed often.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
04-08-2013 05:06 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

I can remember "hacking" into the computer lab at school. My computer teacher was pretty cool but they had a whole bunch of web restrictions and some sort of server based program that prevented you from downloading files off the web unless it was from this "school safe" search engine.
Me and my friend Chris just unplugged the keyboard and pretended like we had no idea what was going on and the teacher came over and logged into the admin account to check the settings, we just watched what he typed in as his password. It was "adminjmp" the JMP being his initials. We sat on those damn computers in the back row half the year using the admin account doing all kinds of shit, we had itunes full of music, movies, video games, and our own pimped out desktops, plus we could go anywhere on the web. Shit was cash. But then apparently the district office noticed that we were using Pirate Bay and told the teacher, we got busted but he was so impressed that he didn't punish us. He actually let us keep using it so long as we stayed off shit like pirate bay and 4chan and stuff.
I miss that guy! He was a great teacher.
04-08-2013 01:45 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Awesome! Smile

I also watched a teacher type in the internet password. That way I could connect whenever I wanted, and also read their emails. Fun stuff. They did eventually change it, but only long after I graduated (I still checked their mail a few times after I left, for the lulz).

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
04-08-2013 11:50 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

After seeing some our teachers passwords, we were always able to guess what the passwords they changed it to were. 1 teacher always used his last name and a simple number combo

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
04-09-2013 02:46 AM
Wolfie Offline
I'm a goofy goober.

At my school, Computer Class is about taking online tests that count for half of your grade.

[Image: 8727478.png] [Image: 22_zps6b092811.png] [Image: 2_zps1ef0debd.png]
04-11-2013 10:02 AM
Jessieatscheese Offline
Rebel

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

At my school we have IT up until year eight and then it becomes an elective and I haven't used a thing we ever did in those classes today.

(04-07-2013 12:25 PM)DoA Wrote:  Everything useful I've learned about computers, I've learned from using one the way I wanted to.
This is so true. I use computers all the time at home and at school and I can't see a single thing I use today being taught in IT classes, or not that I can remember being taught.
04-11-2013 01:56 PM
Kundalini Offline
(Divine Consiousness)

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

I've been using a computer by 3. No joke. I was adept when I was 5. Playing video games, got into hacking when I was 11. I'm 16 now, still going at it.

All school teaches you is how to type like a frickin' moron.

Cool story, bro. Tell it again.
04-12-2013 08:32 AM
Kundalini Offline
(Divine Consiousness)

(04-08-2013 11:50 PM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Awesome! Smile

I also watched a teacher type in the internet password. That way I could connect whenever I wanted, and also read their emails. Fun stuff. They did eventually change it, but only long after I graduated (I still checked their mail a few times after I left, for the lulz).

I hacked my teachers grade book. Turns out his password was "123qwe". Wow, nice password!

04-12-2013 08:33 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Had a kid in our class that typed 11 words a minute. I was fastest with around 81. Course carpal tunnel was the sacrifice I have to live with from using computers from the age of 5 and on.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
04-12-2013 09:55 PM
Damon Offline
Pissed off Englishman who eats red buses

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

I have to complete a bunch of coursework for my course. The teacher doesn't teach, but he makes everyone copy nearly exactly what he shows us on the work. It's not really a course about learning if its just making mindless powerpoints about communities being together and having to copy a bunch of mindless crap off of the projected screen thing. I would do what I wanted on the computers, but school being school they installed a bunch of stupid filter software and now they have fancy new software (making sure we're safe is what all the budget goes to instead of actually giving us the education we are forced to go to school for) which allows any teacher from around the school to view what I'm doing on screen. It's embarrassing because they show what you're doing on the board for everyone to see.

Yeah the course is 60 percent coursework and the exam is like 40 percent its messed up. I've learned fuck all from it. I learned what I learned through actually using a computer and not reading about one in a text book or listening to a stupid teacher drone on about it...
04-13-2013 11:20 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

My computer classes were never really about computers. I was sick of making powerpoints and excel files and doing art on microsoft word.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
04-13-2013 07:39 PM
Kundalini Offline
(Divine Consiousness)

(04-08-2013 01:39 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Oh lolz, the teachers at my school wouldn't even have known HOW to restrict anything like that. They called ME whenever something computer-related went wrong. Epic fun times for getting out of class to browse the interweb.

LOL! They ask the same thing for me! I'll be like "Just don't expect me to fix your botnet, you're not spying on me."

04-13-2013 10:42 PM
sea horse Offline
Defiant

Learning about computer programs that will be outdated in 10 years or so is ridiculous.
04-14-2013 02:04 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

(04-14-2013 02:04 AM)sea horse Wrote:  Learning about computer programs that will be outdated in 10 years or so is ridiculous.

So let's not learn anything at all, because it might change in a few years. Cuckoo

Hidden stuff:
04-15-2013 12:16 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

I see the logical fallacy there!

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
04-15-2013 12:24 AM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

How to learn anything you want about computing:

Get a computer. Preferably a pimped out one with a speedy processor and lots of RAM so that you aren't limited by hardware, but any ol' computer will do for a lot of stuff.

Google the shit out of anything you want to know.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
04-15-2013 02:35 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

1 problem. Some people don't know how to use Google(believe me. I tell them to google it and they tell me they tried and didn't get an answer. I sit down at a computer, 2 seconds later I'm building a nuclear reactor -_-)

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
04-15-2013 03:25 AM
sea horse Offline
Defiant

(04-15-2013 12:16 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  
(04-14-2013 02:04 AM)sea horse Wrote:  Learning about computer programs that will be outdated in 10 years or so is ridiculous.

So let's not learn anything at all, because it might change in a few years. Cuckoo

Unless you want to work in the antique computer industry. Young people have enough experience with computers at home and will adapt to changes.
04-15-2013 05:18 AM
NightHawk877 Offline
Resident Android guru

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

My computer classes were boring until high school. My school was low on funds during my senior year of high school and was in need of new computers. One of the students in my class suggested a fundraiser and I suggested using Linux. I decided to meet with her and the IT department during my lunch break and decided on Linux Mint as it had everything working out of the box. I was already familiar with Linux Mint. I led the team in installing Linux Mint over Windows XP. I helped create the accounts which went really fast thanks to using the command line to get things done. I was the only person in the school besides the IT department and the teacher that knew the administrator password. I suggested going with the long term support releases and enabling backports to make sure things are updated smoothly. I now work IN the IT department of my high school keeping things running.

TL;DR

I made computer class more fun during my last year of high school by dumping Windows for Linux Mint.
04-15-2013 08:50 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

Given 109 thank(s) in 93 post(s)

download a version of photoshop CS5 and put it on the computer you use for class...problem solved since it isn't a trial and it isn't shitty

The less you try to control things, the less you need to.

Boredom is the #1 enemy of learning. Therefore, school is the #1 enemy of learning.

"Bodies fucking fuck."~Night.Artist

[Image: 41433.png][Image: 14362714_1336391025.png]

Hidden stuff:
[Image: asschart.jpg]
Hidden stuff:

"free speech under the constitution only guarantees the government won't stop him saying it and does not guarantee his right to say things and have no consequences at all as a result. also i completely doubt that he is motivated solely by "i'm saying it because i can" and is probably motivated by a more shitheady motive like "i think it's funny to annoy people and Rustle Le Jimmies™ and is just hiding behind the first amendment to try to deflect any consequences or make you realize that being allowed to annoy people is a superior moral right. you can still disdain someone for doing things for dumbarse wankery purposes and you have evne more right to ban and insult them for it" ~Trar's friend about Potato.

Thanks for the diploma… can I have my childhood back?

I’d love to have a battle of wits with you… but I hate to fight the unarmed.
04-17-2013 04:19 AM
Alistoriv Offline
Sanity Not Included

Given 169 thank(s) in 114 post(s)

I always just brought a thumb drive with a media player, some small games, Tor browser, etc. I went wherever the hell I wanted on the internet.

RIP GORE GOROTH
RIP SAINTVICIOUS
(03-20-2013 05:08 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Stand up with pride and say "No! I will not be a McDonalds employee. I WILL BE A GARBAGE MAN!"

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
04-17-2013 06:34 AM
HawkbitAlpha Offline
Pariah

Given 95 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

While on the topic of their bad computers, they're pretty obsolete too. All the PCs in my old computer lab were 2005 desktops running Windows XP. It was only last year that they decided to use 2010 netbooks running XP, and sooner 2011 netbooks with 7 that hardly worked. Though, the lab desktops remained. I was in a program where we would use the lab for 2 hours in an online high school course. The only time we ever got to use the netbooks was when the lab was occupied. And if the netbooks didn't work, we'd have to use the shittiest computers in the school: a combination of 6 lab computers running off one hard drive which almost never work, placed inside the classrooms.

Talk about shitty software!

RIP GWEDIN (2013-2017)
RIP URITIYOGI (2016-2017)
RIP NIGHT (2009-2017)
RIP VONUNOV (2008-2017)
RIP WES/THEWAKE (2007-2017)
RIP USERNAME (2013-2017)
RIP HAWKBIT (2013-2017)
RIP SS

"Write me a little report of [my video], so I know you watched it, or you get another warning. One of my other goals is to make this forum a bit of my own class...So, tell me, how you feel about the new rule of having you do homework? Or you get another warning. So, do you want to do this or not?...Please send a PM and tell me if you're willing or not. I will probably give you 24 hours to send the PM. No PM will indicate to me that, no, you don't want to do things in this new way. So, you will be saying goodbye."
-Stevehein, promise-maker and Führer moderator of SJW-Survival, 2017

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2013 09:55 AM by HawkbitAlpha.)
04-21-2013 09:44 AM
Trar Away
R.I.P.

Given 189 thank(s) in 125 post(s)

In the interest of full disclosure, computer tech has been a major hobby of mine ever since I was a little kid. Brainiacs think alike, huh?

I remember a number of computer activities. I used Mac laptops in earlier years, but those were given to us to do various projects with. One year's computer class had a rather nice teacher, and a darkened room with obsolete Windows computers and Mavis Beacon. I should say here that I eventually taught myself how to type (maybe not as fast as some people but still). Next year's computer class (it was either that or the year after that year) consisted of a rather snarky female teacher, a brighter room, more modern computers (can't remember the OS, but we all had personal MacBooks), Mavis Beacon and a smattering of other applications (some of them were ostensibly educational, some of them were ostensibly games).

An incident that stands out in my mind was during the 7th grade when my class was in a room with some IT guys setting up our school network e-mail accounts (I rarely used mine). So I followed the instructions to the letter (I know, silly me) until we were told to put in our names in an exact format that was the same for everyone. I decided to use the function keys to spice up my account name or whatever with those fancy symbols, like the Apple logo. Naturally, I ran into a problem later on, and since I didn't put in my name the exact way I was told that asshole IT guy said he wouldn't help me. Goddamn America.

Another thing that happened in Language Arts: (holy shit I could talk all day about LA) I was pounding out a story (well it was actually more of a list of things in some guy's basement, our assignments were rather unorthodox) on my Mactop as usual when the mouse cursor starts moving on its own. I proclaim this fact to my classmates and they respond with laughter. Not that I minded that much; I mean this WAS pretty strange and I was something of a class clown. So eventually the cursor settle on the text and more words start appearing, something along the lines of "This is a strange list!" I find out that the teacher was using some software to remotely control my laptop. A benign incident, yet telling with regards to that teacher's personality.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2013 06:52 AM by Trar.)
04-23-2013 06:45 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Obsolete computers were never a problem with me. I grew up using windows 95/98/2000(it was triple-booted) on a Compaq(before HP got them) with AOL dial-up. It was my favorite computer and I used that thing for nearly 4-5 years till 2005 or so, when I obtained a brand new Dell with Windows XP.

So even if the computers in my school were not that modern, they sure as hell were not as old as my favorite and first computer.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
04-23-2013 07:53 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The principles that school REALLY tries to teach. KFC Nyan Cat 7 5,790 05-16-2017 07:11 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  What They Won’t Teach In School Could Make You Rich SoulRiser 13 7,162 04-15-2017 04:57 PM
  How to teach with fun Incubus Desmodus 2 1,896 04-04-2017 01:49 PM
Last Post: the Analogist
  Important stuff school does not teach you. Michio-kun 17 7,952 01-30-2017 01:06 PM
Last Post: the Analogist
  “If a child can't learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn.” Miller0700 18 7,288 03-20-2016 09:20 AM
  Too Tough To Teach xcriteria 1 2,425 10-31-2014 08:54 AM
Last Post: Symbol
  If schools are to prepare us for life, why don't they teach us anything useful? James Comey 8 9,847 12-04-2013 02:45 AM
Last Post: isolatedsystem
  Why doesn't school teach us anything useful? Lieutenant 13 13,409 05-24-2013 11:28 AM
Last Post: HawkbitAlpha
  Schools don't teach us. EntityCubed 2 3,351 03-19-2013 06:59 AM
Last Post: EntityCubed
  School does X to teach you. fish20 7 3,310 02-17-2011 03:40 PM
Last Post: LightAbyssion