RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[RANT] Chemistry experiments are bullshit
RandomTroll Offline
They see me trollin', they hatin'.

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

I have a chemistry experiment next week. They are my saving grace because only through them I am able to raise my grade enough to pass to next year. Here's the thing. They sound great on paper, we even have to write it down in the report sheets that we make during the experiment. It is something like "The goal of this experiment is to explore the chemical properties of methanol". It sounds great on paper while in reality they don't provide anything of value to me, they don't increase my understanding of chemistry one bit and here is why:
Duration of the lesson is 45 minutes, this is very important. The lesson begins with everyone walking into class, putting their shit into tables, trying to set up groups (we do these experiments in groups of 2-5 people). So there we have at least 5 minutes wasted right there. Then teacher starts by insulting our intelligence by telling how to prepare our report sheets (just a simple table of 4 columns and few rows, it depends on the amount of reactions), which we have made several tens of in the past years of chemistry. Then she explains all the safety rules, like pull your sleeves up, if you have long hair, tie them behind, shit like that, I can't bitch about this part, because the teacher is required to do so. After that a sheet of paper is sent around the class. The students have to put there signature there, to prove that they have listened the safety rules, again I can't whine about this part for obvious reasons. Finally the teacher gives us the vials with chemicals and burners and shit like that. That's another 10 minutes wasted. Finally she gives us the paper which tells us what experiments we should do. We have 10 to 15 minutes to do all the reactions (somewhere from 5 to 10), write down what has been noticed, what we mixed and bullshit like that. The main bullshit part begins here, we have no time to observe the reactions. 10 Minutes is a very short time to preform 7 reactions and write down everything IN EXTREME DETAIL. After our 10 to 15 minutes have passed all the vials are taken from us, no more experimentation, we only have the notes that we have made. Now we have around 10 minutes to write down a chemical formula or an equation for every experiment that we did. We also have to write what has been noticed during the experiment i.e. release of gas or that a vial has heated up. Again, we have to write very fast, because lots of text needs to be written, every fucking thing has to be explained in great detail, sometimes I feel that I am writing an essay, rather than a report for a chemistry experiments. After the time has passed teacher takes our notes and we have rest of the lesson (around 5 minutes) to clean up our desks, move them back into place, clean the vials, shit like that.

This is what goes during the experiment, my main problems are:
*Not enough time to OBSERVE the experiments, seriously, sometimes it is hard to tell whether the vial has heated up or is it just the residual heat from a previous reaction. I though the goal was to see how chemicals interact in real life.
*Way too much text to write
*Chemical indigents are sometimes diluted so much, that the reaction slows down quite a bit. I know that some chemicals can be dangerous, but they dilute them to ridiculous amounts.

So, do you do any chemistry experiments? How are they?
04-04-2013 02:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Godzillaman Offline
Rebel

Given 5 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

I am in physics this year (I am a freshmen in high school). We already finished the actual physics aspect of the class like a month ago. Although the curriculum of physics says NOTHING about anything relating to chemistry, we are currently doing chemistry stuff right now to prepare for a big chemistry test in about a month. I agree that chemistry (as a class and subject) does absolutely nothing for anybody who won't study chemistry in college.

My main rant about chemistry classes is the dangers of doing experiments. I mean, physics and biology experiments are fun, but chemistry experiments are downright dangerous. You are working with chemicals that are capable of burning through your skin, damaging your eyes, and possibly sending you straight to the emergency room. Considering how chemistry is a required course in some schools, it isn't fair to put students in harm's way. I agree that chemistry experiments are unnecessary for those who aren't going to study chemistry in college for the reasons that you stated, and for many more.
04-04-2013 03:02 AM
RandomTroll Offline

RE: [RANT] Chemistry experiments are bullshit

(04-04-2013 03:02 AM)Godzillaman Wrote:  I am in physics this year (I am a freshmen in high school). We already finished the actual physics aspect of the class like a month ago. Although the curriculum of physics says NOTHING about anything relating to chemistry, we are currently doing chemistry stuff right now to prepare for a big chemistry test in about a month. I agree that chemistry (as a class and subject) does absolutely nothing for anybody who won't study chemistry in college.

My main rant about chemistry classes is the dangers of doing experiments. I mean, physics and biology experiments are fun, but chemistry experiments are downright dangerous. You are working with chemicals that are capable of burning through your skin, damaging your eyes, and possibly sending you straight to the emergency room. Considering how chemistry is a required course in some schools, it isn't fair to put students in harm's way. I agree that chemistry experiments are unnecessary for those who aren't going to study chemistry in college for the reasons that you stated, and for many more.

I do agree with the dangerousness of the experiments. My classmate had a vial explode in the stand near him, spraying hot liquid on him. Luckily it only hit the clothes and ruined them, rather than the skin or eyes or something.
04-04-2013 03:42 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

There was a student in my class, who is also a friend, and he definitely has to stay away from chemistry experiments. He has a habit of breaking test tubes(filled and empty), spilling liquids and goofing around with the chemicals. It just horrifies how some people simply assume that a clear liquid is similar to water when it will probably melt your skin as soon as it touches. It's why I had the chemistry experiments, because we were in groups of 4 and I was the only "scientist" sort among them. The others liked to either let me do the work or goof off with the equipment on the table. I'm surprised we survived chemistry for a year.

I did always want to experiment with nitration, you know like nitrocellulose or trinitrotoluene. Smile

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
04-04-2013 05:36 AM
RandomTroll Offline

(04-04-2013 05:36 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  I did always want to experiment with nitration, you know like nitrocellulose or trinitrotoluene. Smile

Just don't blow your fingers off, mmmmkay? Smile
04-04-2013 05:48 AM
Godzillaman Offline
Rebel

Given 5 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

(04-04-2013 03:42 AM)RandomTroll Wrote:  
(04-04-2013 03:02 AM)Godzillaman Wrote:  I am in physics this year (I am a freshmen in high school). We already finished the actual physics aspect of the class like a month ago. Although the curriculum of physics says NOTHING about anything relating to chemistry, we are currently doing chemistry stuff right now to prepare for a big chemistry test in about a month. I agree that chemistry (as a class and subject) does absolutely nothing for anybody who won't study chemistry in college.

I do agree with the dangerousness of the experiments. My classmate had a vial explode in the stand near him, spraying hot liquid on him. Luckily it only hit the clothes and ruined them, rather than the skin or eyes or something.

And then, when working with dangerous chemicals, some knucklehead will start goofing around with his friends holding a test tube filled with liquid and possibly send somebody to the ER.
04-04-2013 07:01 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

(04-04-2013 05:48 AM)RandomTroll Wrote:  
(04-04-2013 05:36 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  I did always want to experiment with nitration, you know like nitrocellulose or trinitrotoluene. Smile

Just don't blow your fingers off, mmmmkay? Smile

What fingers?

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
04-04-2013 08:20 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  We have a complete idiot as our chemistry teacher??? 8bitmusicislife 3 2,200 12-21-2016 03:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornLionWolf
  Almost fail my chemistry test for being thirty seconds late. Sharpie 12 4,392 02-09-2012 08:58 AM
Last Post: Dirtbikemike
  Trolling my chemistry teacher ^_^ Sharpie 14 6,937 12-09-2011 10:48 PM
Last Post: Sharpie
  My chemistry teacher is so counterproductive Sharpie 9 3,592 12-06-2011 07:31 AM
Last Post: Stadium
  "Gang Related" Bullshit rant Wingless 7 2,376 12-08-2009 07:09 AM
Last Post: FindTheLight
  Chemistry teacher antman811 15 3,613 02-20-2009 02:15 AM
Last Post: Amortisatie
  How to master chemistry? psychopath 12 2,642 02-04-2009 12:29 PM
Last Post: mudkip liek