RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teachers can't tell us what to do!
..V.. Offline
Party Rebel

Given 40 thank(s) in 29 post(s)

I googled it and of course there isn't a post about it, so I just started one.

Anyway, check out this link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answ...ool-board/

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 02:54 AM by ..V...)
04-02-2013 02:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Well, capitalism says that makes sense seeing that we technically pay them...

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
04-02-2013 03:54 AM
..V.. Offline
Party Rebel

Given 40 thank(s) in 29 post(s)

I am not directly paying for them though. It is our taxes. If I had a choice to fund schools.....
We are not funding the schools to 'boss' our life around, but to 'teach' us, but they are not doing that. If businesses finally realize that we don't need a 'degree' to know the material 'needed' for the job, and that college isn't the only option to get it, then some wouldn't need high school because we wouldn't always need to go to college.

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 04:23 AM by ..V...)
04-02-2013 04:23 AM
V.R. Offline
Revolutionary

Given 19 thank(s) in 13 post(s)
RE: Teachers can't tell us what to do!

The teacher has a right to be frustrated, but she appears to be absolutely misguided in her diatribe. She doesn't realize she's just a clueless pawn that serves a basic and recycable propagandic purpose. Her teeth have now rusted, and it's time to change the disposable cog.
04-02-2013 05:31 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

(04-02-2013 05:31 AM)V.R. Wrote:  The teacher has a right to be frustrated, but she appears to be absolutely misguided in her diatribe. She doesn't realize she's just a clueless pawn that serves a basic and recycable propagandic purpose. Her teeth have now rusted, and it's time to change the disposable cog.

We need to replace the machine -_-

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
04-02-2013 07:50 AM
V.R. Offline
Revolutionary

Given 19 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

Bing-fucking-o.
04-02-2013 08:48 AM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

Quote:You have made us information pushers, test givers, and paper passer outers. LET US TEACH!!! You have taken all of this away. You give us a new common core curriculum that is almost impossible to finish in a year, and now you slide in Compass, new evaluations, JPams, and On Course all in a single year, and all which require more time that we just don’t have. You are setting teachers up to fail. Teaching was once a noble and creative profession. Learning was once fun! If you want kids to stay in school, make them want to come!!!
This I agree with absolutely. Curriculums are much too rigid and take much of the creativity out of teaching. Teachers also shouldn't be teaching just to enable their students to pass a standardized test. Mastery of the subject then falls to mastery of getting a passing grade on a test.

Quote:They now have the power and they know it. I have heard some students say that they are not even going to try on the standardized tests. They are even “out” for some teachers and are going to score low on purpose. Many students won’t do their homework or study for tests-WHY? They know they won’t fail because of your policies. You have made it all about “what the teacher needs to do” instead of “what the student needs to do!” HOLD them responsible! Would a doctor lose his job if his diabetic patient didn’t follow their recommendations for losing weight when that patient is hospitalized for his/her choices? Of course not! The educational system is no different. We should not be held responsible for apathy and wrong choices!

If you really want to change one thing in our school system-start with discipline: SIMPLE nothing else, just DISCIPLINE. Follow through from first grade on up to twelfth grade. Be consistent, give consequences. Teachers should not be repeating rules to the same students over and over again. If you would listen to experienced teachers who have good discipline, it works and learning is going on. No fancy programs, no bells and whistles, just the teacher in charge. Stop moving students from school to school. This just dilutes other schools!

You are hiding the problems-NOT solving them! The same students that we saw get away with the “little infractions” over and over, and over again, are the same students that end up in the paper under “local arrests”. We are not here to be popular or please parents, we are here to teach children. Small things like uniforms, gum chewing, and tardies may seem small to you, but to a classroom teacher they are the small things that lead to larger problems like disrespect. If you don’t back us up on these issues, the students know it and lose respect for us. Don’t give in half way through the year, or keep changing things. Follow through. Back your teachers up! You have taken our “power” away. No Discipline=No Teaching-Period!
This is where my opinion and the teacher's opinion diverge heavily. Obviously all students should be held to clear academic standards to be able to pass a class. However, minor issues like gum chewing, tardies and uniforms actually distract from learning in the classroom. There is no reason for chewing gum to be against school rules. From what I understand, chewing gum is commonly against the rules because students often dispose of it improperly. This blanket ban on gum punishes students who actually do dispose of gum properly unfairly. It's much more sensible to just make it a rule to not put gum where it should be placed. Uniforms are unnecessary. Students should be able to wear pretty much whatever they want, except for near-nudity which obviously would be distracting. Razz Nudity should be perfectly OK though. In fact I propose a fully nude school to be established. Everybody inside of the school must be 100% naked. Eventually, seeing a little bit of skin won't become that big of a deal to them. Or they'll fuck like rabbits. Either way, who cares anyway? As for tardies, it doesn't make sense to discipline students for being late to class. If they miss important information, then they'll just be screwed when they're quizzed on it. If they miss an assignment, then that assignment just doesn't get done and their grade suffers. That in itself should be the reasonable punishment.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
04-02-2013 09:23 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Middle School Teachers v.s. Highschool Teachers Falsalm 6 5,751 01-01-2014 04:15 PM
Last Post: Falsalm