RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Society
..V.. Offline
Party Rebel

Given 40 thank(s) in 29 post(s)
Society

What do you think about society? I think society is going downhill.
Society is too worried about technology, Facebook, clothes, Hip Hop and everything along those lines. Mostly it's the social media and the school keeping us in ignorance. It is the government too though.
The majority of our society has lost the positive image on nature, reading, literacy, but now it is basically filled with government induced morons that are only out for the newest phone or 'popular' clothing. This is why I do not smile or laugh, because I look at these people, including the 'ghetto' subculture, and feel sad for them because they have lost the critical thinking skills and independency. It is not healthy.
What are your thoughts about this?

03-13-2013 01:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
Society

We're going down at the moment but probably go back up. It's all a roller-coaster, going up and down, up and down, up and down.

The "ghetto" subculture is annoying. How is speaking English incorrectly and wearing your cloth the wrong way and speaking in some idiotic accent while listening to rap "songs" that are nothing but some wannabe making stupid rhymes about money,drugs,killing,booze and women over a copied soundtrack cool?

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
03-13-2013 01:07 AM
 Thanks given by: ..V..
..V.. Offline
Party Rebel

Society

I don't think it is. They stole things from other subcultures. Like skinny jeans (metalheads, etc), Hollister (and other surfing brands), and then they were clothing that supports sports that they don't watch, like hockey.
People love Facebook too much. 'Liking' statuses, posting photos and sharing photos from other 'pages'. Facebook doesn't even allow us to 'Dislike'. How biased is that?
I don't like the media, social media or anything to do with those things. There are very few things I associate myself with when it comes to the media. e

03-15-2013 04:53 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)
Society

I like society. Living in society is like 20000 times better than being a hermit.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
03-15-2013 05:36 AM
..V.. Offline
Party Rebel

Society

That goes both ways for me. In example, I like the city with shops, movie theaters, malls, etc. I would prefer Tokyo, Miami, San Francisco, and Manhattan. But then I also like the secluded areas, like the suburbs or country. Over all, I would enjoy living in the city more because I like the feeling of being around people, and not being alone. But I would also like to live in the suburbs (not completely alone though).

03-15-2013 11:08 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Society

I didn't like malls in America. I think it had something to do with the smell.

I usually don't like crowded public places, but when I left the US, I no longer had that feeling in the country I'm in right now. It's pretty weird.

But I can comfortably not be around anyone at all. It's just another part of the mind, once you master control over your frontal lobe(I believe it's the part that involves social stuff) you can easily not give a crap about socializing any more yet keep your sanity.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
03-16-2013 12:09 AM
..V.. Offline
Party Rebel

Society

Where do you currently reside?

03-16-2013 01:01 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Society

I actually live in the US but am in Turkey for some stuff I need to get done to become a US citizen before my 18th birthday. I like it here, though this is basically my first time in the country in over 16 years(I left for the US when I was about 2 years old).

I thought I'd feel the same way about the malls here as well, when I was taken to the mall by a relative. Strangely enough, I didn't get the discomfort I tend to feel when in such places. Not to mention It just feels different here. I say it has something to do with some part of my subconscious that finds this country more fitting for me then the US, though consciously I'm totally unaware of this.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
03-16-2013 01:14 AM
тωιѕтє∂ Offline
Revolutionary

Given 34 thank(s) in 24 post(s)
Society

Haha, society. I wish I was not living in this generation, sometimes it affects me.

Twisted The Twisted Smiley Belongs To Twisted Twisted

"Treat every problem as a challenge, not a dead end. And treat every question like an obstacle worthy of your effort." -my friend's wise Asian father (Sounds better in Chinese)

OBNOXIOUSLY HUGE AND NOTICEABLE
03-16-2013 10:12 AM
Mouser Offline
Rebel

Given 5 thank(s) in 3 post(s)
RE: Society

(03-13-2013 01:07 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  We're going down at the moment but probably go back up. It's all a roller-coaster, going up and down, up and down, up and down.

The "ghetto" subculture is annoying. How is speaking English incorrectly and wearing your cloth the wrong way and speaking in some idiotic accent while listening to rap "songs" that are nothing but some wannabe making stupid rhymes about money,drugs,killing,booze and women over a copied soundtrack cool?
Rap music is awesome when you're bludgeoning prostitutes to death with a tire iron.

Oh, and I think that we should define society if we are going to have this discussion. Society is such a broad, all-encompassing word.
03-16-2013 12:38 PM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)
Society

Society is great but it could definitely be better.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
03-16-2013 12:42 PM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

Society is subjective. Some might think it's greats, other may think it's a dud. Some are enclosed societies and some are diverse.

It's all where you live.

Previously known as Derchin.
03-16-2013 01:28 PM
1312 Offline
It gets better, believe me. :)

Given 44 thank(s) in 30 post(s)

(03-13-2013 01:07 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  rap "songs" that are nothing but some wannabe making stupid rhymes about money,drugs,killing,booze and women over a copied soundtrack cool?

Well, you haven't heard about KRS-One, 2Pac(Later tracks), Immortal Technique, Lowkey, Ill Bill(has dope tracks, some about conspiracy 'theories').

Stereotypes (almost) never work, btw. Smile
03-16-2013 08:20 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

(03-16-2013 08:20 PM)LedoS Wrote:  
(03-13-2013 01:07 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  rap "songs" that are nothing but some wannabe making stupid rhymes about money,drugs,killing,booze and women over a copied soundtrack cool?

Well, you haven't heard about KRS-One, 2Pac(Later tracks), Immortal Technique, Lowkey, Ill Bill(has dope tracks, some about conspiracy 'theories').

Stereotypes (almost) never work, btw. Smile

No, Stereotypes don't work, but those songs aren't the type the radio pumps out.

I should have clarified by stating "rap songs on the radio". Otherwise I know there's good rap out there, having listened to some(I'll listen to any song as long as it's good)

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
03-17-2013 12:55 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Society

American society is amazing. We have worldwide communication at the touch of a button, an abundance of goods, access to the music, literature, and art of the preceding generations. Our standard of living is greater than it has ever been in the history of mankind. There's been a great democratization of our media, with the rise of blogging, internet video, and social media. People are more tolerant and accepting of people that are different from them than ever before, with racism and homophobia declining substantially over the years. We can all practice whatever religion we want to practice, or practice and believe no religion at all. Our property is relatively safe from encroachment, theft, and confiscation from criminals and the government. Crime itself is declined substantially in the 1990 and hasn't risen back to its heights.

I could list more things. Qualms about music or television shows are relatively minor and insignificant compared to the big picture.

03-17-2013 04:29 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Society

Sounds similar to A Brave New World.

Is it really all that good or is that how we think it to be? It could all just be a facade, especially when you consider the fact that America has one of the lowest voter turnout of any Industrialized Western nation(Implying that people don't really care about the workings of government enough to want to use their right to influence it in some way). Are the people content with being content, thus as long as they feel happy and entertained, things are all fine?

"Panem Et Circenses"

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2013 06:38 AM by brainiac3397.)
03-17-2013 06:37 AM
1312 Offline
It gets better, believe me. :)

Given 44 thank(s) in 30 post(s)
Society

You know why they don't bump that shit on radio? "It's controversial." Biggrin
But if really, it doesn't sell(mind you, that actually does sell, just look at Immortal Technique), but most of people don't really think, they live based on instincts and primary needs(well, sex is first that comes to mind, that's why you have many songs about 'bitches', hey, I used to listen to Nate Dogg.)... And there's definitely something about guns, they make you crazy... Really, just give me a gun and I'll turn euphoric imitating killing people, did happen a few days ago........ Money..? Well, no need to explain.

That shit^ sells, and people are too lazy to think for themselves nowadays, to use their brain...(Mind you, I'm kind of lazy too, but I'm improving..)
Related to sex(sells): Posting an interesting video right now in new topic.
03-17-2013 06:44 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Society

It's why the only radio channel I listen to is NPR,Jazz or Classical stations because I'm tired of the crap music they tend to have on the radio.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
03-17-2013 06:59 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

(03-17-2013 06:37 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Sounds similar to A Brave New World.

Is it really all that good or is that how we think it to be? It could all just be a facade, especially when you consider the fact that America has one of the lowest voter turnout of any Industrialized Western nation(Implying that people don't really care about the workings of government enough to want to use their right to influence it in some way). Are the people content with being content, thus as long as they feel happy and entertained, things are all fine?

"Panem Et Circenses"
How could all just be a facade? Certainly, things aren't perfect, but they are better than they have ever been in many ways. The very fact that people can reject popular music and listen to obscure stuff online is due to our society's invention of the internet and recording media.

03-17-2013 09:16 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Society

That's one part but due to globalization, what happens in another part of the world now has some affect on the country(not to mention the fact that the US is made up of a ton of nationalities who may or may not be that "American").

Things were pretty damn good for the Romans too, till the barbarian tribes came knocking.

American's are heavily divided on many issues, but the manifestation of their problems are more apparent when you look at the government. Government and Society today are intertwined, as that's what democracy does. The current government style of most modern nations puts the government in control of society, in most cases. If the government is suffering all sorts of problems, these will seep out onto society because the people decided to put government in direct contact with society

Quote:We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

This shows that the people have decided to establish a government with direct involvement in society in order to achieve a goal, which seems good as you have a centralized society but this becomes bad when government and society either split away or government starts to suffer from troubles. We saw how Greece erupted into chaos because the society was upset the government was not listening to their wants but rather siding with the conditions the IMF and EU set for them.

So things may seem great when looked at on the small-scale or individualistically, but in reality, all this technology just serves to keep the populace entertained and occupied, in order for them to be delayed in their noticing of the current state of government, thus current state of society.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
03-17-2013 09:03 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

(03-17-2013 09:03 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  That's one part but due to globalization, what happens in another part of the world now has some affect on the country
So? The impact of globalization has been overwhelmingly positive for the U.S. and the rest of the world. Take NAFTA as an example, it's helped the overall U.S. economy.

Quote:(not to mention the fact that the US is made up of a ton of nationalities who may or may not be that "American").
What does it even mean to be American? Certainly there's room in America for people of different backgrounds to also be American.

Quote:Things were pretty damn good for the Romans too, till the barbarian tribes came knocking.
There are many reasons why Rome fell, but the American experience is not wholly analogous to the Roman one. For one, we don't have an emperor (yet).

Quote:American's are heavily divided on many issues, but the manifestation of their problems are more apparent when you look at the government. Government and Society today are intertwined, as that's what democracy does. The current government style of most modern nations puts the government in control of society, in most cases. If the government is suffering all sorts of problems, these will seep out onto society because the people decided to put government in direct contact with society
When in the past few thousand years have governments not been in control at least of a large portion of society? I would argue that there's a lot less control in America than in many eras of history. We have a lot less government control of the economy in America than in most other nations. We have less control of the press and much of our daily lives. By no means would I call the American system perfect and without fault, but it's better than the system in most nations.

Quote:This shows that the people have decided to establish a government with direct involvement in society in order to achieve a goal, which seems good as you have a centralized society but this becomes bad when government and society either split away or government starts to suffer from troubles.
American government wasn't intended to be centralized. The American system is a federalist one, not unitary. It has become increasingly more centralized over time, but there is no indication that the current level of centralization was the intention of the framers of the Constitution. If you took even a cursory glance at some of the debates at the Constitutional Convention, you'd find that there were a great many concerns that large states would control the business of small states and a concern that there would be too much power invested in the national government.

Quote:We saw how Greece erupted into chaos because the society was upset the government was not listening to their wants but rather siding with the conditions the IMF and EU set for them.
That's a debate about government fiscal policy and entitlements, not the state of society as a whole.

Quote:So things may seem great when looked at on the small-scale or individualistically,
U.S. GDP is the largest in the world. That's not individual, that's societal. Per capita GDP in the U.S. is ranked consistently in the top 10 by different measures. Source. If there is a general trend among many individuals toward prosperity, then it's not an individual phenomena, it's a societal one. That's like saying that an epidemic contagious disease is an individual problem just because individuals catch the disease. Heck, what does a society matter if individuals in the society aren't happy with the society anyway?

Quote:but in reality, all this technology just serves to keep the populace entertained and occupied, in order for them to be delayed in their noticing of the current state of government, thus current state of society.
I have more and easier access to data about the government and the state of society than I would have had 30 years ago, and that's due to the developments in technology.

03-18-2013 05:40 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Society

You mean the USA with the debt worth 105% of the GPD, inequality in wealth, nearly 2 trillion in the red between revenue/expenditure, a debt of $16.5 trillion and increasing and the fact that it's only second to the EU(which is a bunch of sovereign countries when compared to the US as a whole). The data and statistics don't really match the idea of a great society.
-Inequality
-US Debts
-More Information In Economy

And historically speaking, Monarchs were only involved so far as defending their territory. To them, the people were just source of labor and his kingdom was that color on the map. Every village was it's own society with it's own customs and beliefs and traditions.

You have access to the government but the government has more access to you. With the capabilities of the government, they're able to learn more about you then you could possibly learn about them. Sure, you may have easier access but only access to what they let you access. Not many people even take advantage of the Freedom of Information Act simply because people are content with the BELIEF they can learn everything about the government, which is quite false as there's a lot the government has hidden from the people.

Ah the Federal not Unitary argument. True. However, you may have also noticed that the big money-maker here is the Federal Government, who then decides to give grants to the states and sometimes with set conditions. Thus, the Federal government escapes having to deal with all the individual aspects of the state but still retain near-total control of the states. Of course there are political dangers to the Federal Government if they anger their constituents but just the fact the Government can withhold grant money to the states is enough control. Thus, the Federal Government retains it's power over society. There is great power in the national government, because their power comes from the fact they control all the important things. The US dollar is the Federal Government property, all Armed forces are property of the Federal Government(even the National Guard, which is usually under the command of the state governor). The Federal Government is the only one allowed to make trade and foreign deals. The Federal Government also has a massive portion of the money, which the states rely on to get things done. Thus, on paper, the States are somewhat independent and the national government sharing some equality but in reality, the Federal Government is in power and continues to strengthen its grip(First Lincoln, Then F.D.R, and then it just grew stronger and more involved from there). People rely on the Federal Government's welfare, on the Federal Government's infrastructure, on the Federal Government's support, on the Federal Government's protection(Homeland Security?), and on the Federal Government's social benefits.

You may not be aware, but the Federal Government has grown more and more involved in the state of society. Which means if Government can no longer continue all this support in society, society will not fare well. The current debt of the government is enough proof to show that society is sitting on the shoulders of Government and totally unaware of this. How do cities or states pay for all the infrastructure and civil servants? Through the Federal government. Who pays for the welfare and social security? the government. Who pays for the college students(FAFSA), the Federal government. How about healthcare? or even things like milk?(the government helps keep the cost of milk down, revealed by how the price actually began to increase when the government was unable to keep paying). Who subsidizes all those corporations that brought us all this technology?

So from the outside, the American people see a veil of good and success. Yet this is only because the trash is constantly being swept under the carpet or hidden in the closet or under the bed. However, things are starting to stack up and all that "dirt" is now becoming more and more apparent.

It's hard to deny all that data. Society may seem great on the small-scale(by this I mean when the society thinks all the good stuff around them is true for the entire country, rather than looking at the whole picture. It's also what I meant by individualistic. All from the point of view of society, since the Individual may see society as great, or the community may see society as great but when you take a step back, thinks grow more obvious that society is not faring well and is currently at risk if things continue to go the way they're at).

How can society be fine when 15% of the populace relies on the government(because they're below the poverty level) or about 9% of the populace is unemployed and probably also reliant on government support. Not to mention even with that GDP per capita(which is the total value of the products and services by the population, divided by the midyear population for per capita), The US is spending in deficit, which means the GDP means nothing if the government is spending more than the people are making.

And the state of society is dependent on government fiscal policy, or why would the Greek population explode into massive riots if it has nothing to do with their society(the one being harmed by mass unemployment and loss of social benefits and welfare?). Sure, if it was the ancient kingdoms, the debt would be the ruler's debt, not the people's(They're not getting anything benefits from the government and already giving almost all their income to the treasury). However, the Government is so involved in the state of society, the problems the government suffers ends up harming society as well.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
03-18-2013 08:10 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Society

I said it was better, I didn't say it was perfect. You can point to a million things wrong, but I'd rather live in the U.S. than Africa, Eastern Europe, Asia, or South America.

03-18-2013 09:12 AM