RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is being happy all the time ... bad?
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

This has troubled today, so I became interested in hearing your opinions on this? Please be serious on this.
03-09-2013 07:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Why would it be bad?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
03-09-2013 08:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

I kinda feel the same way SoulRiser. You see there is an upcoming show on the TV here where I live which is going to investigate soon the psychology beneath happiness. And a little clip in the commercial you can see this celebrity saying, it must be boring to be happy all the time. So I started wondering. I still do.
03-09-2013 09:07 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

Being happy is a good thing, as long as it doesn't come at a price (e.g. conformity).

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
03-09-2013 10:55 AM
Desu Offline
Fanatic

Given 340 thank(s) in 182 post(s)

Why would being happy all the time be bad? It sounds like if being happy all the time became bad, that would imply you aren't happy and therefore you aren't happy all the time.

I used to wonder if being happy or even artificially happy was bad, but then I experienced a variety of psychoactive chemicals and I've concluded that Brave New World is a load of shit. The world doesn't need the bad to experience the good. I think that philosophy was made up by depressed people who were trying to rationalize their emotions and their terrible life.

There's such thing as hedonic adaptation. It's why things get old after a while. Instead of playing the same video game over and over, we play new ones because the old ones get old. It's what inspires humans to seek new experiences and change the world around them.

A human utopia will be achieved when we conquer hedonic adaptation and allow ourselves to be perpetually happy.

RIP GORE GOROTH

He was an hero. He will always be remembered.
03-09-2013 01:31 PM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
SmokeyTheAggie Offline
Renegade

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)
RE: Is being happy all the time ... bad?

Would it not be considered happiness if there's only being happy? It's like what I read in a book some brain surgen wrote after he said he experienced heaven when his brain shut down.. He talked how there's the smallest traces of evil, because if there wasn't evil, there would be no good. Does that make sense?

[Image: utahstatewords.png]
03-09-2013 11:55 PM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

I don't know what is needed for me to be happy all my life.
03-12-2013 11:42 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Yes. It means you overdosed on those happy pills.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
03-13-2013 12:14 AM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

Reply complex. No comprehension.
03-13-2013 02:15 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Dount Wury, Bi Happe

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
03-13-2013 03:20 AM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

I wish that was as easy as Bob Marley says it is... :|
03-13-2013 03:54 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

I wonder if Bob Marley was truly happy?

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
03-13-2013 06:26 AM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

I do too.

I feel like I sometimes reach this border where I become so glad, and then look back and wish to get back onto the seek of happiness, cause when I reach the euphoria, I want pain again. WHAT A COMPLETE IDIOT AM I? hahaha, tragic laugh, it's absolutely not funny.

You had that feeling that too... ??
03-13-2013 04:25 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

I'm never happy. I'm never sad.

Which is why sometimes I get confused when people ask me if I'm happy or think I'm sad.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
03-13-2013 07:08 PM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

You're never sad nor happy? Really?! How come?
Do you like that?
03-14-2013 01:25 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

I'm a Taoist Stoic(subconsciously and semi-consciously).

My stress level borders on the negatives and the only time I feel an emotion is when It's something I really like(such as military stuff in action, firearms, chaos which are things you don't really see everyday. I may give a visible sign of emotion. For emotions not strong enough to give any sign visible sign would be love and the "I-Swear-Your-A-Dumbass-But-I-Won't-Say-Or-Show-Anything-Except-Secretly-Get-Away-From-You-Without-Your-Knowledge".

The latter tends to happen often, since I consider my surrounding social-circle of being of a forced nature, where I'm stuck with them out of being stuck with them in the same place. They aren't really the type of people I would really be around but am because I spend 7 hours a day for 5 days a week with them, thus leaving me no real choice. Why do I personally continue it rather than resist? Because it's logical as the benefits at the moment outweigh the harm. Of course When I'm not near them, I rarely bother to communicate with them, even now as I've been overseas ,and still will be for a while more, for about 3 weeks and the only people I've spoken with are my parents.

My idea: If I have no reason to contact you, socializing doesn't count, then I probably won't. You'll have to contact me... )

I think the way I am somehow makes me invisible to people. It's pretty awesome, in my opinion. I once sat in a room with a group of people(and I'm a little big in weight(a bit fat. Not enough to be of any health harm or physical detriment) and size(genetics has made me big-boned) who knew me, yet didn't even realize I was there(considering the fact that most of them saw me enter and I was literally sitting right in front of them).

It also seems to bother people since I'm the type that sneakily appears out of nowhere and frightens you(Not my fault and not on purpose, It just happens. How do you explain someone my size being unnoticeable Razz )

So simplest: I was greatly influenced by Taoism and Stoicism and now just naturally don't really feel much. It's not a problem and I'm totally fine with it but my nature is difficult for most people to understand, and some misinterpret things(they assume I don't speak because I'm shy, but I don't speak because If I don't have anything to say, then nothing will be said. Or my lack of emotion is interpreted as boredom or disinterest but in fact it's just me not giving any physical sign of what my mind is thinking. I may like that building in my mind, or be enjoying the event in my mind, but you won't see me cheering or laughing or saying "WOW!". The most extent I'll go to, with some goading, will be a curt smile and a nod of my head).

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
03-14-2013 04:58 AM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

(03-14-2013 04:58 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  I'm a Taoist Stoic(subconsciously and semi-consciously).

My stress level borders on the negatives and the only time I feel an emotion is when It's something I really like(such as military stuff in action, firearms, chaos which are things you don't really see everyday. I may give a visible sign of emotion. For emotions not strong enough to give any sign visible sign would be love and the "I-Swear-Your-A-Dumbass-But-I-Won't-Say-Or-Show-Anything-Except-Secretly-Get-Away-From-You-Without-Your-Knowledge".

The latter tends to happen often, since I consider my surrounding social-circle of being of a forced nature, where I'm stuck with them out of being stuck with them in the same place. They aren't really the type of people I would really be around but am because I spend 7 hours a day for 5 days a week with them, thus leaving me no real choice. Why do I personally continue it rather than resist? Because it's logical as the benefits at the moment outweigh the harm. Of course When I'm not near them, I rarely bother to communicate with them, even now as I've been overseas ,and still will be for a while more, for about 3 weeks and the only people I've spoken with are my parents.

My idea: If I have no reason to contact you, socializing doesn't count, then I probably won't. You'll have to contact me... )

I think the way I am somehow makes me invisible to people. It's pretty awesome, in my opinion. I once sat in a room with a group of people(and I'm a little big in weight(a bit fat. Not enough to be of any health harm or physical detriment) and size(genetics has made me big-boned) who knew me, yet didn't even realize I was there(considering the fact that most of them saw me enter and I was literally sitting right in front of them).

It also seems to bother people since I'm the type that sneakily appears out of nowhere and frightens you(Not my fault and not on purpose, It just happens. How do you explain someone my size being unnoticeable Razz )

So simplest: I was greatly influenced by Taoism and Stoicism and now just naturally don't really feel much. It's not a problem and I'm totally fine with it but my nature is difficult for most people to understand, and some misinterpret things(they assume I don't speak because I'm shy, but I don't speak because If I don't have anything to say, then nothing will be said. Or my lack of emotion is interpreted as boredom or disinterest but in fact it's just me not giving any physical sign of what my mind is thinking. I may like that building in my mind, or be enjoying the event in my mind, but you won't see me cheering or laughing or saying "WOW!". The most extent I'll go to, with some goading, will be a curt smile and a nod of my head).

I see... Haven`t hear very much about Taoism nor Stoicism, but if you`re cool with it I`ve got nothing to say.
I only wish I could be happy forever.
03-14-2013 03:39 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

I learned my Taoism from Sun Tzu Biggrin
My stoicism just developed on it's own...

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
03-14-2013 08:27 PM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

You learned Taoism from a war legend. The art of war... I don't really give a shit about such ismsss stuff. I am who I am, and I guess all that shitty ism can suck away. How do you deal with emotional stuff??
03-15-2013 08:21 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

(03-09-2013 10:55 AM)DoA Wrote:  Being happy is a good thing, as long as it doesn't come at a price (e.g. conformity).
Everything comes at a price.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
03-15-2013 08:25 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Wes, that'll be $0.99 for replying to my comment.

03-15-2013 08:33 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Dammit it. Can I put it on my tab?

03-15-2013 08:39 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Lol'd at "dammit it".

Also, opening new tabs will not help you evade payment...unless, of course, you're stuck on TvTropes, in which case it would help you evade reality itself.

03-15-2013 09:09 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

I love TV Tropes.

03-15-2013 11:18 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

(03-15-2013 08:21 AM)LiptomaticMate Wrote:  You learned Taoism from a war legend. The art of war... I don't really give a shit about such ismsss stuff. I am who I am, and I guess all that shitty ism can suck away. How do you deal with emotional stuff??

What emotional stuff...?

I acknowledge with logic and rationality, but I don't react with emotion. If I get into a car accident, I'm the type that'll crawl out and say "Looks like we crashed" with the most neutral face(I'd probably laugh If I realize how out-of-place that comment was. I like to laugh. Probably the one emotional thing I can't control because I just have too broad a sense of humor to not see the funny in anything)

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
03-16-2013 12:32 AM
тωιѕтє∂ Offline
Revolutionary

Given 34 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

I do ot think being happy is bad, although there is a negative I can think of.

It is that since you are happy all the time, you never feel real pain, sadness, or stress. Which means that you would not be able to show true empathy towards friends or family who do experience this.

Other than that, just the fact that others may be jealous.

Twisted The Twisted Smiley Belongs To Twisted Twisted

"Treat every problem as a challenge, not a dead end. And treat every question like an obstacle worthy of your effort." -my friend's wise Asian father (Sounds better in Chinese)

OBNOXIOUSLY HUGE AND NOTICEABLE
03-16-2013 10:18 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

What constitutes happy?

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
03-17-2013 01:58 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(03-17-2013 01:58 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  What constitutes happy?
Smile

Inversely, :( constitutes sad.

03-17-2013 02:25 AM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

(03-16-2013 12:32 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  
(03-15-2013 08:21 AM)LiptomaticMate Wrote:  You learned Taoism from a war legend. The art of war... I don't really give a shit about such ismsss stuff. I am who I am, and I guess all that shitty ism can suck away. How do you deal with emotional stuff??

What emotional stuff...?

I acknowledge with logic and rationality, but I don't react with emotion. If I get into a car accident, I'm the type that'll crawl out and say "Looks like we crashed" with the most neutral face(I'd probably laugh If I realize how out-of-place that comment was. I like to laugh. Probably the one emotional thing I can't control because I just have too broad a sense of humor to not see the funny in anything)

Stereotype.
03-17-2013 03:09 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Wut?

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
03-17-2013 03:35 AM