RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just a hard core vent
Uncle Joe Offline
Defiant

Given 3 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
Just a hard core vent

First off: This is my first time posting on this site, I have been following it for several months but I just now decided I felt like saying anything.
Recently it's been hard. School's been stressful as hell- the only time I am not feeling some sort of compulsion to give up is in video production. The teacher is absolutely amazing. He is a great guy and generally cares about all students. I miss my last semester's computer class too but whatever.
Recently just life has sucked. I've been getting shitty grades, and my mom's been a complete bitch. I just got a job( started Monday.) And I told her that unlike my previous job I wanted access to my money 100 percent. It was my money that I was working for and I figured logically I am 18. She can't legally do anything. It took an hour and a half of what turned into a scream fest about it. Her main thing was that I would spend all of my money. My thing is though- I have to buy the college I got accepted into meal plan thing which is unlimited food all day every day the Cafe is open. So my thought is- I worked for MY money I should have the power to spend MY money the way I want to. The only thing that has me kept from losing it on anyone is honestly music and League of Legends. I really love this game and I want to compete in it eventually. But every time I am asked what I want to do and I answer with compete in it I get laughed at and scorned. I get shit like Oh it's a fucking video game that's not even that hard. Blah blah blah. Even if I try explaining the fucking INSANE work and hours that go into being a pro gamer they go: Oh it's a game it's not a sport/it's not demanding.

Try sitting there- 10-12 hours a day practicing a video game, or anything rather. Strategizing every single possible outcome of every single possible player of every single possible team. Knowing that your entire salary in some cases come from knowing how to play against a certain person with a certain person in a certain way. And the stress of sitting there with your salary on the line etc.

Then just people fucking suck. I've been led on by a girl I've liked for years. She is all flirty with me, kissy cuddly bullshit, but every time I bring up actually dating or any relationship shit at all- She freaks out and goes no no no no I don't want to hurt you it's not you it's me. Every other person I know has been trying to use me for something. Most I haven't figured out yet but still.

TL;DR: I hate this shitty fucking place but I don't know what I'm doing with my life so I'm confused pissed off and miserable most waking hours of my life.
03-07-2013 12:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Isaiah_halfstaff , Ky , Alistoriv
Isaiah_halfstaff Offline
Defiant

Given 11 thank(s) in 4 post(s)
RE: Just a hard core vent

I am stunned from this post, we're in very similar situations right now.

Pissed all day, started playing League, and of course music. School for me is terrible, I'm in such a shitty situation and it's overwhelming... I'm having to stay after school so much it's just hindering me even getting a job, I'll die attempting it, but hopefully that ends soon and I can start.

Girls, first of all I dealed with your situation there for fucking EVER, and I stilll hold negative feelings about it, it ended up completely worthless, none of it was true. Don't end up like me, do something about it, put a stop to the bullshit confusion and set it straight, I refused to do so thinking it would fall in to place, but... It didn't. I moved on and ended up in a million times better situation, even though it's long distance (Of course, right?). I'm still happy, even though I'm dying to move.

But, if you find a cure for all this bullshit, please pass it to me.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2013 04:05 PM by Isaiah_halfstaff.)
03-07-2013 04:02 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Hug

I know what you mean about the gaming stuff. There's TONS of strategy involved in a lot of games, even the ones where you just run around and shoot people in the head (not to mention reaction times).

And yeah, if your mother is going to keep your money from you, tell her you'll get a lawyer. And then actually get one. She can't legally do that.

Dunno 'bout that girl thing. Maybe she's just afraid, maybe some previous relationship(s) ended badly and she doesn't want it to happen again. I have no idea though... ask her? Talking is good.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
03-07-2013 09:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Alistoriv Offline
Sanity Not Included

Given 169 thank(s) in 114 post(s)
Just a hard core vent

There's one thing you need to know in life: People are fucking idiots. I know exactly what you're talking about. I don't play League, but I'm a huge DotA 2 fan. Those games require a fuck ton of strategy. People just don't understand how much work goes into being a professional gamer (especially at strategy games) because "They're just _video games_". You are absolutely right about the money. You're 18 and your mother has no right to control what you do with it. If she refuses to allow you to use your own money, I would suggest saving up some and moving out.
03-08-2013 02:47 AM
Physics Offline
Rebel

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
Just a hard core vent

I hate it when people criticize "pro" gamers. I play competitive Team Fortress 2 and I am way more mentally active playing Team Fortress 2 than in school.
03-08-2013 06:59 AM
HawkbitAlpha Offline
Pariah

Given 95 thank(s) in 67 post(s)
Just a hard core vent

I'm a master of Ace of Spades. Doesn't make me a stupid person. It's more mentally active than sitting in a classroom for hours ain't it? Amirite or amiwrong

RIP GWEDIN (2013-2017)
RIP URITIYOGI (2016-2017)
RIP NIGHT (2009-2017)
RIP VONUNOV (2008-2017)
RIP WES/THEWAKE (2007-2017)
RIP USERNAME (2013-2017)
RIP HAWKBIT (2013-2017)
RIP SS

"Write me a little report of [my video], so I know you watched it, or you get another warning. One of my other goals is to make this forum a bit of my own class...So, tell me, how you feel about the new rule of having you do homework? Or you get another warning. So, do you want to do this or not?...Please send a PM and tell me if you're willing or not. I will probably give you 24 hours to send the PM. No PM will indicate to me that, no, you don't want to do things in this new way. So, you will be saying goodbye."
-Stevehein, promise-maker and Führer moderator of SJW-Survival, 2017

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2013 07:25 AM by HawkbitAlpha.)
03-08-2013 07:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)
Just a hard core vent

I play Call of Duty. It sounds incredibly simple, but it's VERY demanding.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
03-08-2013 07:27 AM
Trapacity Offline
Just a Squib

Given 21 thank(s) in 18 post(s)
Just a hard core vent

Whenever someone tells me that video games are useless/rot your brain/etc., I always show them Geometry Wars and say something like: Can you do this? No. You can't fucking do this. So shut up.
03-08-2013 01:44 PM
 Thanks given by: Alistoriv
HawkbitAlpha Offline
Pariah

Just a hard core vent

I would love to see anybody try to master San Andreas Multiplayer. It's wicked hard, especially considering all the noobs and idiots you play with.

Games are useless and rot your brain? Name one way fucking school is different. It has no value and makes you develop shorter attention spans. I'd rather be playing SAMP than sitting in a tiny desk being mindfucked for 7 hours

Speaking of SAMP, I'm gonna go do that now.

RIP GWEDIN (2013-2017)
RIP NIGHT (2009-2017)
RIP VONUNOV (2008-2017)
RIP USERNAME (2013-2017)
RIP HAWKBIT (2013-2017)
RIP SS

"Write me a little report of [my video], so I know you watched it, or you get another warning. One of my other goals is to make this forum a bit of my own class...So, tell me, how you feel about the new rule of having you do homework? Or you get another warning. So, do you want to do this or not?...Please send a PM and tell me if you're willing or not. I will probably give you 24 hours to send the PM. No PM will indicate to me that, no, you don't want to do things in this new way. So, you will be saying goodbye."

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2013 02:43 PM by HawkbitAlpha.)
03-13-2013 02:14 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
Just a hard core vent

The only downside I've suffered from games was probably my carpal tunnel syndrome(though I was probably like to get it game or not, since I frequently use the computer). But it's not that bad.

If your 18, you don't even need to bother speaking to your mother.

People who an issue with gamers are usually the mentally weak sort who probably, most likely subconsciously, realize that gaming actually does take skills. Lets take strategy games for example, how can they say strategy games are easy and require no skills? Let's see those people lead an Iroquois army armed with only swords and bows against the British army armed with muskets and cannons without using any skills(Empire Total War).

First-person shooters take reaction abilities. RPGs are probably the most skill-requiring games, as you can't make your character a "god" but need to strategize in the customization and how you'll spend your money on which items and what items to carry(if the RPG has that weight limit based on a strength skill).

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
03-13-2013 07:37 PM
 Thanks given by: Alistoriv
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)
Just a hard core vent

Games are a lot like work. The ultimate goal is to kill the boss. Razz

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
03-13-2013 11:37 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Just a hard core vent

What of those games where the boss is you?(I hate it when they do that. The final boss is just a copy of your character).

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
03-13-2013 11:50 PM
Alistoriv Offline
Sanity Not Included

Given 169 thank(s) in 114 post(s)

(03-13-2013 11:50 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  What of those games where the boss is you?(I hate it when they do that. The final boss is just a copy of your character).

DAMN YOU SHADOW LINK!
03-14-2013 01:00 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

(03-14-2013 01:00 AM)Alistoriv Wrote:  
(03-13-2013 11:50 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  What of those games where the boss is you?(I hate it when they do that. The final boss is just a copy of your character).

DAMN YOU SHADOW LINK!

That was the only damn level I had the hardest time beating of most of the games I played(the other being Ace Combat 4. Flying into a tunnel the width of your plane's wing is not fun, especially when there's a sudden up curve AND you have do it 3 times)

Those sneaky Japs...

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
03-14-2013 04:38 AM
1312 Offline
It gets better, believe me. :)

Given 44 thank(s) in 30 post(s)
Just a hard core vent

Good luck in getting competitive in LoL.

Been there, done that in CS 1.6, never got competitive, tho, not because of lack of skills, kicked nubs ass in their video game, but possibilities, didn't seek em out, don't make same mistake, look for opportunities instead of just playing pubs and thinking that everybody is a noob. Biggrin
Currently not playing any game with a goal to become competitive.

"The worst - when you need to wait, and there is nothing you can do. From this you can go crazy" Possible(!) quote from E. M. Remarque.(Google translated)
So don't stress so much about school, look at the brighter side of it, either you change and drop out of school, or you stick it out, graduate and then do whatever the fuck you want.
03-14-2013 05:05 AM
HawkbitAlpha Offline
Pariah

Just a hard core vent

Aren't MOBA games overrun by foreigners? That's what I've heard.

Plus, I tried out Tibia and found a bunch of Brazilian/Portuguese players...then I get killed for being American.

RIP GWEDIN (2013-2017)
RIP NIGHT (2009-2017)
RIP VONUNOV (2008-2017)
RIP USERNAME (2013-2017)
RIP HAWKBIT (2013-2017)
RIP SS

Hidden stuff:
03-14-2013 05:43 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Just a hard core vent

Sometimes you think they're foreigners...

"Hey, where can I buy some armor"=American player
-no reply=2 players
"Do you speak English?"-A.p
-no reply=2.p
"I guess not"-A.p
-no reply=2.p
*walk away but still close enough to hear the foreigners*=A.p
"Stupid Americans..."
"I know rite"

Turns out they were British. Biggrin

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
03-14-2013 07:44 AM
HawkbitAlpha Offline
Pariah

(03-14-2013 07:44 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Sometimes you think they're foreigners...

"Hey, where can I buy some armor"=American player
-no reply=2 players
"Do you speak English?"-A.p
-no reply=2.p
"I guess not"-A.p
-no reply=2.p
*walk away but still close enough to hear the foreigners*=A.p
"Stupid Americans..."
"I know rite"

Turns out they were British. Biggrin

Actually, this isn't what I meant. It's mostly Central and South Americans I've heard about. For example:

[Image: Brazilians+And+Games.png]

[Image: u0gsFKD.png]

I wonder if the first would happen to be Tibia by any chance lol

RIP GWEDIN (2013-2017)
RIP NIGHT (2009-2017)
RIP VONUNOV (2008-2017)
RIP USERNAME (2013-2017)
RIP HAWKBIT (2013-2017)
RIP SS

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2013 07:05 PM by HawkbitAlpha.)
03-15-2013 07:00 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Just a hard core vent

Lol. Chavez lives on in the cyber world then?

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
03-16-2013 12:25 AM
HawkbitAlpha Offline
Pariah

Just a hard core vent

Oh boy, my mom bombarded me with this same "games rot your brain" rhetoric again today. Then I asked her how sitting in a classroom stressing over how to find the range and first and third quartiles for 69, 34, 37, 71, 19, 52, 67 blah blah blah was any more brain-enriching.

No response, of course.

RIP GWEDIN (2013-2017)
RIP NIGHT (2009-2017)
RIP VONUNOV (2008-2017)
RIP USERNAME (2013-2017)
RIP HAWKBIT (2013-2017)
RIP SS

Hidden stuff:
03-19-2013 05:39 PM
HawkbitAlpha Offline
Pariah

Bahaha, now my sister says playing FSPassengers doesn't require any skill. So guess what I did?

I installed FSX on her computer, put the FSP demo on it, made her a new company and pilot and everything, and let her see how "non-skill requiring" it was. I even let her borrow my old joystick for it. When I got her to make a flight in a CRJ700, she crashed and killed everybody on the plane less than 5 minutes after taking off. After that I said "Sure isn't very skill-requiring, is it?"

Rofl

RIP GWEDIN (2013-2017)
RIP NIGHT (2009-2017)
RIP VONUNOV (2008-2017)
RIP USERNAME (2013-2017)
RIP HAWKBIT (2013-2017)
RIP SS

Hidden stuff:
03-29-2013 10:49 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Just a hard core vent

Lol.

If they didn't require skills, how can I beat my enemy's troops by just rushing head first into them?(Unless you're playing CoD, where you can magically glance at the scope for 150% accuracy)

The one standing proof that games do require skills is the two genres of Strategy and Simulation. Strategy usually requires the use of your brain, varying from identifying colors to practicing flanking manuevers with your scouts while your main force distracts the enemy(Total War series anyone?)

Simulation literally simulates something done in real life. Not to mention people with a flight sim fetish can probably fly a real plane.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
03-29-2013 07:49 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  core curricular activities KCbeenee 2 1,910 06-27-2015 11:15 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Common core-less states Missile 2 1,581 10-11-2014 09:12 AM
Last Post: Mo the jo
  Oklahoma ditches common core Missile 6 3,999 09-15-2014 03:41 AM