RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Took A Day Off
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)
Took A Day Off

I managed to convince my parents to call me in sick today.

Well, not sick, per se.

Yesterday, I went to the podiatrist and they discovered I had an infection in one of my toes. They made incisions into the skin in order to flush out the infection, and, while it didn't really hurt much this morning, I managed to persuade my parents that it wasn't a good idea for me to wear shoes.

I got to play videogames all day, so that's an epic win on my part.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
03-06-2013 06:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)
RE: Took A Day Off

Good for you.

Previously known as Derchin.
03-06-2013 07:07 AM
Trapacity Offline
Just a Squib

Given 21 thank(s) in 18 post(s)
Took A Day Off

Today I decided to make Siepinski's triangle in class. Somehow its highly addictive and mathematically eligible of something I like to call... learning that actually fun. Maybe there should be a term for that, maybe there already is - I can't seem to think of any as Pink Floyd pumps through my ears.
03-06-2013 10:52 AM
CinnamonSynonym Offline
Rebel

Given 6 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

(03-06-2013 10:52 AM)Trapacity Wrote:  Today I decided to make Siepinski's triangle in class. Somehow its highly addictive and mathematically eligible of something I like to call... learning that actually fun. Maybe there should be a term for that, maybe there already is - I can't seem to think of any as Pink Floyd pumps through my ears.

Yep. Sierpenski triangles are my go-to anti-boredom method as well. One of them is, of course, that they are technically infinite, so if you finish an iteration, just go to the next one. (I was once stuck at a wedding in Iowa for 3 hours and did a major masterpiece on a napkin.)

There is, though, that fantastic point that Trapacity brings up as well: some stuff is simply fun to learn and/or know. For me, at least, esoteric things usually fit the bill. There's something cool about doing/knowing something that )relatively) few others do. This kinda nullifies that whole argument on how school sucks because the information is useless, because most esoteric knowledge is not used much at all. I guess that schools should focus more on preparing us for our release into the real world and less on preparing us for every single job possible.

Either that, or school has managed to suck the fun out of normally fun subjects. Which wouldn't surprise me, honestly.

I do not have a pet fire-spewing walrus, contrary to popular belief.
If you say something I do not care about, I will ignore you. This is not an invitation to say it louder.
permissum mihi somnus
tedium causat apathia
Godspeed
03-06-2013 11:55 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:Either that, or school has managed to suck the fun out of normally fun subjects. Which wouldn't surprise me, honestly.
My vote is for this. I actually was at least mildly interested in learning most of the things when they were new, but then 'revising' the same shit over and over and over and memorizing it... well, that ruined it for me.

It's like those songs that become ridiculously popular... Gangnam Style is a fine example. I thought it was pretty cool at first. Then I heard it over 9000 times and I was like MAKE IT STOP PLEASE SHOOT ME NOW...

Quote:I got to play videogames all day, so that's an epic win on my part.
Yay for infected toes! Razz

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
03-07-2013 12:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Trapacity Offline
Just a Squib

Given 21 thank(s) in 18 post(s)
Took A Day Off

Okay class, today I'm going to introduce to you something that's actually quite intriguing until I ruin it for you by making it boring as hell and overemphasize stuff that has no relation to it in reality, but I'll make it connect in some odd-job way just for your personal annoyance.
03-07-2013 10:55 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)

^ QFT

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
04-21-2013 08:51 PM
Trar Away
R.I.P.

Given 189 thank(s) in 125 post(s)
Took A Day Off

Congrats DoA for managing to earn a day off. May I ask what you played?

@ Trapacity: I was recently reading Richard Feynman's autobiography (great book by a great guy, go check it out) and I am reminded of the chapter where he volunteered to judge new textbooks for the California school system. This was, I think, when they were introducing the "new math", and he was, in his words, "horrified" by the things they were apparently peddling as math and science. This was because they had little practical use. He was also on the receiving end of various bribe attempts by the publishers. He eventually quit, I believe.
04-23-2013 06:30 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)

Bribing really?

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
04-25-2013 12:37 AM
Trar Away
R.I.P.

Given 189 thank(s) in 125 post(s)
Took A Day Off

Yes, really.
06-12-2013 11:13 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
Took A Day Off

Bribery is how much of these private contracts for public institutes works. Your bribe someone or someones to get that contract over the other guy, who probably had a better quality one and at a better price.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
06-13-2013 02:05 AM