RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abolishment of the public schools
..V.. Offline
Party Rebel

Given 40 thank(s) in 29 post(s)

Since public schooling is based on testing, then do you think we should directly fail the tests on purpose? The schools need tests to stay open, they need good scores, so maybe we should fail them on purpose to abolish the schools. Unfortunately, the majority of the people will not do it and you will probably be the only one failing and there wouldn't be an impact.

02-27-2013 01:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HawkbitAlpha Offline
Pariah

Given 95 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

/yes

RIP GWEDIN (2013-2017)
RIP URITIYOGI (2016-2017)
RIP NIGHT (2009-2017)
RIP VONUNOV (2008-2017)
RIP WES/THEWAKE (2007-2017)
RIP USERNAME (2013-2017)
RIP HAWKBIT (2013-2017)
RIP SS

"Write me a little report of [my video], so I know you watched it, or you get another warning. One of my other goals is to make this forum a bit of my own class...So, tell me, how you feel about the new rule of having you do homework? Or you get another warning. So, do you want to do this or not?...Please send a PM and tell me if you're willing or not. I will probably give you 24 hours to send the PM. No PM will indicate to me that, no, you don't want to do things in this new way. So, you will be saying goodbye."
-Stevehein, promise-maker and Führer moderator of SJW-Survival, 2017

Hidden stuff:
02-27-2013 01:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Desu Offline
Fanatic

Given 340 thank(s) in 182 post(s)

Budget is based on both attendance and performance. Theoretically if a lot of kids started failing classes all over the nation it would simultaneously impact budget and the reputation of schools but practically that would never happen.

Even if organized on a local level, it would be found out by school officials who would then be able to dismiss accusations by politicians and the media and the kids involved would be punished. Grades also impact children's lives far too much. You're asking lots of kids with relatively comfortable lives to sacrifice a stable home life, their reputation with teachers and students, and entry into a university of their choice for a slim chance at enacting a social and educational revolution that they frankly don't care about. No child is going to become a martyr for that, much less hundreds, or thousands.

A different strategy must be employed that involves kids beating public schools at their own game by superceding their own metrics of success and power and happiness. Their strategy for gaining peaceful co-existence with themselves and society is good employment, enriching social activities, involved parents, and self-fulfillment. Their tactic is grades, school activities, awards ceremonies, classmates, the parent-teacher association, and the prospect of a bright future in a great career. Children are forced into the game through coercion (punishment, threats, brainwashing, and state law).

In other words, I think an educational revolution will occur when children employ different tactics to accomplish the public school strategy. A social revolution will occur when children as a social class nullify the public school strategy to achieve happy co-existence with society using a new strategy--living and organizing their lives in a completely novel way with new social institutions.

Rebelling in the sense of ignoring coercion is too much to ask of children. I think the best way is using different tactics to accomplish the strategy of public schools, since public schools justify their strategy with success and happiness, justify their tactics with their strategy, and justify their coercion with their tactics.

For example, you need to become successful and happy and to do that you need a good job. In order to get a good job you need good grades and other items that will impress on your resume. We punish you if you don't play along because we have your best interests at heart, that's why if you don't turn in your homework, we'll give you detention.

If children redefine tactics in order to get a good job in order to be happy, that is an educational revolution. If children redefine strategy in order to be happy, that is a social revolution. Coercion becomes difficult to justify in this situation (perhaps more accurately, nullified) because now children have stepped outside the game of adults, and do not want to participate anymore. In a sense, currently, children aren't even coerced because they willingly play the game, even if they don't feel like waking up for school or doing homework. If they get punished, they show up for detention, if their parents yell at them, they feel bad, if they get grounded, they stay in their room, if they get bad grades, they get frustrated and apply to college anyway, if the law says they have to go to school, they go.

Telling kids to rebel by just failing on purpose is both incomplete and far too big of a step. It won't accomplish much, no one will practically participate, and it plays into the game of adults. It would be more effective to come up with different tactics we can reasonably employ in order beat adults at their own game, leverage small amounts of power to take further small steps toward more power, and eventually leave their game all together.

RIP GORE GOROTH

He was an hero. He will always be remembered.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2013 03:16 AM by Desu.)
02-27-2013 02:06 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser , GamerGurl
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

Given 233 thank(s) in 157 post(s)
RE: Abolishment of the public schools

(02-27-2013 02:06 AM)Desu Wrote:  Budget is based on both attendance and performance. Theoretically if a lot of kids started failing classes all over the nation it would simultaneously impact budget and the reputation of schools but practically that would never happen.

Even if organized on a local level, it would be found out by school officials who would then be able to dismiss accusations by politicians and the media and the kids involved would be punished. Grades also impact children's lives far too much. You're asking lots of kids with relatively comfortable lives to sacrifice a stable home life, their reputation with teachers and students, and entry into a university of their choice for a slim chance at enacting a social and educational revolution that they frankly don't care about. No child is going to become a martyr for that, much less hundreds, or thousands.

A different strategy must be employed that involves kids beating public schools at their own game by superceding their own metrics of success and power and happiness. Their strategy for gaining peaceful co-existence with themselves and society is good employment, enriching social activities, involved parents, and self-fulfillment. Their tactic is grades, school activities, awards ceremonies, classmates, the parent-teacher association, and the prospect of a bright future in a great career. Children are forced into the game through coercion (punishment, threats, brainwashing, and state law).

In other words, I think an educational revolution will occur when children employ different tactics to accomplish the public school strategy. A social revolution will occur when children as a social class nullify the public school strategy to achieve happy co-existence with society using a new strategy--living and organizing their lives in a completely novel way with new social institutions.

Rebelling in the sense of ignoring coercion is too much to ask of children. I think the best way is using different tactics to accomplish the strategy of public schools, since public schools justify their strategy with success and happiness, justify their tactics with their strategy, and justify their coercion with their tactics.

For example, you need to become successful and happy and to do that you need a good job. In order to get a good job you need good grades and other items that will impress on your resume. We punish you if you don't play along because we have your best interests at heart, that's why if you don't turn in your homework, we'll give you detention.

If children redefine tactics in order to get a good job in order to be happy, that is an educational revolution. If children redefine strategy in order to be happy, that is a social revolution. Coercion becomes difficult to justify in this situation (perhaps more accurately, nullified) because now children have stepped outside the game of adults, and do not want to participate anymore. In a sense, currently, children aren't even coerced because they willingly play the game, even if they don't feel like waking up for school or doing homework. If they get punished, they show up for detention, if their parents yell at them, they feel bad, if they get grounded, they stay in their room, if they get bad grades, they get frustrated and apply to college anyway, if the law says they have to go to school, they go.

Telling kids to rebel by just failing on purpose is both incomplete and far too big of a step. It won't accomplish much, no one will practically participate, and it plays into the game of adults. It would be more effective to come up with different tactics we can reasonably employ in order beat adults at their own game, leverage small amounts of power to take further small steps toward more power, and eventually leave their game all together.
If you don't mind, I will be implementing your rebuttal to my anti-school KONY styled video. I think it may serve the video well, and following that I will post a few other alternatives to start this revolution both socially and educationally. I'm just sick of the school laws and sick of the coercion that it's practically a low-level form of slavery.

Seven crappy hours of our lives.
03-01-2013 04:15 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Public Opinion on Public school MurkScribe 4 2,041 05-23-2015 10:32 PM
Last Post: Ilija.m
  18 Signs that U.S. Public Schools are Essentially Prisons Christian Hellhound 3 2,072 09-09-2013 04:15 AM
Last Post: silverfang77
  "Kit gay" in Brazillian public schools Luizao876 10 4,551 03-13-2012 12:59 AM
Last Post: IamNoone
  My Thoughts On Public Schools Quertillia 17 2,565 08-31-2009 12:23 PM
Last Post: Paraless
  Bible Study Classes in Texas Public Schools? Doc Johnson 30 4,883 09-26-2006 05:46 AM
Last Post: Doc Johnson