RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
When will society be ready to leave behind school?
Desu Offline
Fanatic

Given 340 thank(s) in 182 post(s)

I've been toying with some ideas recently.

-----

1) Is the current model of public school as a socioeconomic institution necessary during this age?

2) Could we think of public schools as transitional social institutions that will one day (perhaps sooner than we think) become defunct, obsolete, and be replaced by something else that will serve a similar purpose?

3) Maybe school isn't that bad (for most of us). However, we have to consider the school system's merits and faults in the context of society and culture.

-----

I don't have any hard numbers or sources right now, but:

Could it not be argued that the inception of public schools greatly increased the wealth of society, both intellectually, socially, and materially? And I don't mean as a weak correlation, but that public schools itself were causally responsible.

Intellectually, a more informed population, advances in every field of knowledge, and the creation of new ones.

Socially, increased social mobility among disenfranchised social classes (minorities, women etc.). Schools were a tool for some of these people to do things they wouldn't otherwise be able to do before. This was good for themselves, and to society as a whole who otherwise would not have benefited from what they contributed.

Materially, as a consequence of intellectual advances, economic growth. Depending on your other philosophical or political opinions, you might consider this a bad thing.

We as anti-schoolers like to imagine our world without school, but frankly it would be hard to say what exactly our society would be like without it. Public schools have been a core feature of how our society functions for over a hundred years. Our upbringing as children, our parenting, our jobs, and our social/emotional/intellectual education is built on the foundation of the public school system. School is part of our identities, and society's identity. If public schools never came into existence, our society would be completely different than it is today. Even if this system could be greatly improved, or even totally destroyed to the benefit of society, that is only conjecture. Let's not kid ourselves, none of us knows exactly what would happen if this system were completely overhauled or simply disappeared. Probably many, many things would happen. Some good, some bad.

Remember you have to consider society as a whole, even if you don't care about society and want to only worry about yourself. Many people go through the public school system, and live lives that we would consider hellish, and are totally happy and satisfied with themselves. I know that most of us on this board are unhappy with our lives, much of which could be blamed on school, but for most people in general, it seems to work pretty well.

Look at other regions of the world. Third world countries which introduce public schooling seem to provide a means for economically disenfranchised citizens of the world to catch up to first world society. It improves their lives, it improves their communities (intellectually, socially, and economically). You could draw a parallel to anywhere else. For most people (and yes I know, not us), it improves their lives, it improves their communities. It gives them a means to exist happily within society and with themselves. Arguably, yes, there could be a better way, but most people seem content with it.

However, social institutions naturally go through evolution with time, such as the way we deliver health care, educate our citizenry, allocate goods and resources, organize our families, and so on. We could think of the public school system as the method by which society thought was best to deliver education, train a workforce for the economy, and develop children. Eventually, something else will either drastically or gradually replace public school systems. But for now, the school system is necessary just because of the way society and culture operates. You can never consider social institutions (or even ourselves) outside of culture. Everything in culture influences everything else in culture.

We could speculate (and possibly even create) the forces that will cause public schools to undergo radical revision.

My speculation? Technology mostly, and entrepreneurship in non-profit education.

Briefly, I think technology will inspire changes in the public school system as communication technology advances. Non-profit educational projects are exploding, and currently, this is being disseminated through the web. As our world gets more connected, and these resources become better and more available, employers will start taking web-based education more seriously, and people will start to question why they're paying an enormous amount of money in taxes and disposable income for public schools and university.

Web-based education is limited in scope. Hands-on projects are a bit difficult to teach over the net without having a real life teacher there with you. You can certainly teach yourself, but there's also the issue of acquiring physical materials. Anything involving constructing anything... It's not really feasible to teach yourself to the extent that you can get hired to do something that requires that skill. Yes, I know, people do that, but I'm talking about society as a whole.

But it's interesting, non-profit education is very new, but I noticed it's really been exploding lately. I think we're looking at a new market that will eventually expand beyond the web and into widespread brick-and-mortar non-profit agencies. New markets in the economy always have a "tipping point" where it seems to take forever to get established, then suddenly it's everywhere.

Imagine this:

A building that is essentially Khan Academy, except it's free and open to anyone. It provides the classic education in purely intellectual subjects, but also has some hands-on workshops. You can learn some sort of skill if learning algebra or history doesn't interest you. There is a progression from beginner to advanced in all subjects. It gives children a social education too, since it's a physical place where you can interact with others. There are "teachers" but they're more like guides, and they do give lectures, but peer-to-peer and self-paced learning is given equal importance. This place is also respected by employers because it has been shown that it produces people which are economically capable in the workforce, perhaps even better than public school educated people.

Wait, isn't that what all of us on this forum have been asking for?

I think it's coming. Smile

RIP GORE GOROTH

He was an hero. He will always be remembered.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2013 10:55 AM by Desu.)
02-24-2013 10:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

Good ideas. I think it's coming, too. Factory model schools had their place in society (however bad they they were for some people), but this place is already being disrupted. What will come next?

I've been thinking about how the changing role of education relates to the "guide" concept you posted about back in 2011: http://forums.school-survival.net/showth...p?tid=1587

How can people be helped to individuate, to develop Mindsight -- http://forums.school-survival.net/showth...#pid484504 -- and make sense of an evolving world where both youth and elders are making sense of as each day passes?

Ken Robinson's Changing Education Paradigms talk hits on this question of the factory model school, and the industrial revolution, as compared to the modern world that we now inhabit. Many people realize things need to change, and things are changing, but what how will each person manage the transition?

Watch on YouTube

Thees talks, from founders of Coursera and Udacity, respectively, hit on the role that the Internet is playing in opening up higher education to the world. This also means opening up more of what was once hidden away in exclusive colleges to people of all ages. I think that will lead to a blurring of college and K-12 and simply lifelong learning.

Watch on YouTube

Watch on YouTube

One of the questions with all of this is the role of teachers and how that might change. For example, arguably instead of teachers in the traditional sense, what's needed are more mentors and advisors who get to know learners as individuals in ways that they often can't in subject-bound, age-graded classrooms.

One model of high school that uses this approach is Big Picture Schools, founded by Dennis Littky. A good summary is at http://theinnovativeeducator.blogspot.co...nnect.html and Littky has a talk here where he talks about how messed up education is in a world where everythiing else is changing:

Watch on YouTube

I've been searching for and collecting links for much of the past two years. Fortunately, there are more and more people discussing how to change education, and more people are listening. But there are still big disconnects between what different people know and how they look at things.

One of the things that's changing is that there have been several recent massively open courses about changing education itself. One that's going on now from MIT is called Learning Creative Learning. I'm thinking of how to put on one that pulls together a bunch of the resources I've found, and puts the spotlight on the learners who are especially incompatible with factory model schools, and what they can do (or what others can do to help them) when too often, they're still trapped in factories, or when they get out, they have a lot of deschooling to do as they figure out how to use their minds. I've been in that boat for a long time, but I've made a lot of progress lately and it corresponds to learning how to make sense of all these bits of content and conversations that are going on, and what might come out of all of it.

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
02-24-2013 02:40 PM
 Thanks given by: Desu , GamerGurl , Sunbourn , SoulRiser
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

People are beginning to snap out of it. We just need to keep pressing the benefits of alternatives, and keep dismissing the buzzwords associated with the public school system.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
02-24-2013 03:33 PM
HawkbitAlpha Offline
Pariah

Given 95 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

Watch on YouTube

RIP GWEDIN (2013-2017)
RIP URITIYOGI (2016-2017)
RIP NIGHT (2009-2017)
RIP VONUNOV (2008-2017)
RIP WES/THEWAKE (2007-2017)
RIP USERNAME (2013-2017)
RIP HAWKBIT (2013-2017)
RIP SS

"Write me a little report of [my video], so I know you watched it, or you get another warning. One of my other goals is to make this forum a bit of my own class...So, tell me, how you feel about the new rule of having you do homework? Or you get another warning. So, do you want to do this or not?...Please send a PM and tell me if you're willing or not. I will probably give you 24 hours to send the PM. No PM will indicate to me that, no, you don't want to do things in this new way. So, you will be saying goodbye."
-Stevehein, promise-maker and Führer moderator of SJW-Survival, 2017

Hidden stuff:
02-25-2013 08:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EntityCubed Offline
Back In Black

Given 39 thank(s) in 27 post(s)

My Tech Ed said that one day we might have a chip that can be implanted into humans, and give them their required knowledge.

"It does a fool no good to spend money on an education. Why? Because he has no common sense."-George Bush
02-28-2013 07:42 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)
RE: When will society be ready to leave behind school?

The current model of public school is not at all necessary during this age. People far too often forget that school was designed to churn out factory workers or, perhaps, teachers. Obviously, in both careers, conformity is a valuable asset. In today's world, with the ability to 'think outside the box', highly prized, not so much.

Could we think of public schools as transitional social institutions that will one day (perhaps sooner than we think) become defunct, obsolete, and be replaced by something else that will serve a similar purpose? We absolutely could but the real question is should we think of them that way? Besides, there's a better institution that we have, that tends to be very cheap. It's called a library.

Maybe school isn't that bad (for most of us). However, we have to consider the school system's merits and faults in the context of society and culture. It isn't that bad in relation to what? Context is key. In relation to starving third-world children? Well, no, it's not that bad in relation to that. However, I found school to be nothing better than mildly neglectful.

I think a lot of the rest of the argument does depend on sources. I'll have a look at the rest of it but that gives you an idea.

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
02-28-2013 07:58 AM
Potato Offline
Pariah

Given 64 thank(s) in 50 post(s)

when google's driverless car hits the market, do you think taxi drivers will start to lose their jobs?
02-28-2013 09:26 AM
Desu Offline
Fanatic

Given 340 thank(s) in 182 post(s)

(02-28-2013 09:26 AM)Potato Wrote:  when google's driverless car hits the market, do you think taxi drivers will start to lose their jobs?

False equivalence.

RIP GORE GOROTH

He was an hero. He will always be remembered.
02-28-2013 09:40 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

(02-28-2013 09:40 AM)Desu Wrote:  
(02-28-2013 09:26 AM)Potato Wrote:  when google's driverless car hits the market, do you think taxi drivers will start to lose their jobs?

False equivalence.
That, and besides, it's similar asking "When the library/the Information Age/the Internet hits the general public, do you think teachers will start to lose their jobs?"

No. The push to end public schooling lies elsewhere, I think.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
02-28-2013 09:50 AM
Potato Offline
Pariah

Given 64 thank(s) in 50 post(s)

"False equivalence."

why

"That, and besides, it's similar asking "When the library/the Information Age/the Internet hits the general public, do you think teachers will start to lose their jobs?"

No. The push to end public schooling lies elsewhere, I think."

classrooms and teachers has been completely obsolete since about every household in the country got a computer linked to the internet, but schools are still open and teachers are still getting paid because there are people who doesn't want the education system to be improved because they want to keep their damn jobs and they have voting rights and we don't. so stop holding on to this false hope wake the fuq up and do something
02-28-2013 10:50 AM
EntityCubed Offline
Back In Black

Given 39 thank(s) in 27 post(s)

Don't worry, taxi drivers can just work at McDolands, for they get paid the same. XD

I know I spelled McDolands, Mcdonalds sounds boring.

"It does a fool no good to spend money on an education. Why? Because he has no common sense."-George Bush
03-05-2013 07:18 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Jaden Smith: If Everyone "Dropped Out of School," Society Would Be "More Intelligent" UnschoolShqiponjë 10 8,009 05-25-2017 11:24 AM
Last Post: The man
  "If you hate school, you can leave" meme. Thoughts? xcriteria 2 4,664 04-01-2015 12:18 AM
Last Post: Martins
  Wanted: 1-minute Videos: What I'd do if I could leave school lisafromjackson 5 2,701 02-12-2015 12:57 AM
Last Post: lisafromjackson
  My school doesn't let people leave the classroom. CrayolaColours 18 9,733 03-02-2013 04:04 AM
Last Post: HawkbitAlpha
  nervous about trying to leave school tomorrow shadow4586 11 6,961 06-04-2012 12:42 AM
Last Post: 4r4b7
  I just would like to leave a little message for my school! ravine man 1 1,753 03-12-2011 03:19 PM
Last Post: flann