RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
It's not the education's or the school's fault...
тωιѕтє∂ Offline
Revolutionary

Given 34 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

I just learned this from my older brother yesterday. That it's not the school's or education's fault that some people think it's crap, it's the PEOPLE.

I'm not saying people are bad, but education is a good thing, and school provides that, it's just that everyone has a different way of learning things, so how do you expect the education system to fit EVERYONES needs?

For me, the school system is pretty fair and good. I like to learn, and going to school helps me do that. I don't mind work, or the people. The only thing that is really bothering me is the stupid teacher's strike.

So, think about that.

Twisted The Twisted Smiley Belongs To Twisted Twisted

"Treat every problem as a challenge, not a dead end. And treat every question like an obstacle worthy of your effort." -my friend's wise Asian father (Sounds better in Chinese)

OBNOXIOUSLY HUGE AND NOTICEABLE
02-04-2013 09:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)
RE: It's not the education's or the school's fault...

Shouldn't we strive to have an educational system that is suitable for as many people as possible? We haven't reached this pinnacle by a long shot, with our school's rigid adherence to a mandatory set of courses.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
02-04-2013 12:42 PM
 Thanks given by: Miller0700
SmokeyTheAggie Offline
Renegade

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

I would post some really long post, but Im actual feeling really lazy =p.

[Image: utahstatewords.png]
02-06-2013 01:42 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:That it's not the school's or education's fault that some people think it's crap, it's the PEOPLE.
Yes. The people who control schools and the structure of 'education'... it's all their fault that schools and 'education' are the way it is. That makes perfect sense.

Education (without quotes) should be about learning. "Education" (of the school variety), seems more about grades and tests and numbers and getting people to behave in certain ways.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-06-2013 10:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
тωιѕтє∂ Offline
Revolutionary

You people are not understanding what I'm saying, all people learn in different ways and school can't provide everyones needs. Get the fuck over it.

"Treat every problem as a challenge, not a dead end. And treat every question like an obstacle worthy of your effort." -my friend's wise Asian father (Sounds better in Chinese)

02-08-2013 09:21 AM
AtheistLGBTQAnarchist Offline
Peace Loving Blood Lover

Given 47 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

I just logged in just to argue with your logic. You're telling everyone who goes to school which is basically everyone 5-18 to stfu and accept they're going to have to gtf over the education they want because...just because. Trust me I've seen close minded people like you so I'm going to try to keep this conversation from splitting in the most ranting way possible.

EVERY HUMAN IN THE ENTIRE HUMAN RACE OF HISTORY IS DIFFERENT!!!! KEEP IN MIND THE FIRST TRY POSTING THIS THIS TROLL COMPUTER HIGHLIGHTED EVERYTHING AND DELETED ALL MY PROGRESS SO STFU BECAUSE THE OLD ONE MIGHT OF BEEN BETTER!! ONE BUILDING COULDN'T POSSIBLY BE ALE TO GIVE YOU EVERY SINGLE EDUCATION YOU'D LIKE WANT AND NEED WHICH IS BULL BECAUSE EVEN WITH AND EDUCATION YOU COULD END UP DYING FOR DUMB CAUSES WITH INFINITY POSSIBILITIES BECAUSE EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS BASED ON A MAYBE!! YOU EVEN BLINKING IS A MAYBE! DEATH IS A MAYBE! ESCALATED QUICKLY HUH!??!?!??! THE ONLY THING EVER MADE BY HUMANS THAT COULD POSSIBLY SUPPORT OR LEAD TO SUPPORTING ALL OUR NEEDS IS THE INTERNET!!! YOU LITERALLY JUST SAID GET OVER 12 WASTED YEARS OF LIFE BECAUSE PEOPLE CHOSE TO MAKE IT LIKE THAT!! I DON'T JUST HATE SCHOOL ANYMORE, I HATE THE GOVERNMENT THAT MADE THE SCHOOL, AND I HATE THE SOCIETY THAT MADE THE GOVERNMENT!!!!!

-Obvious Rant IS Obvious

Congratulations humanity,because you refuse to let go of the old and evolve you actually make people believe in 2012. Not only that, but you're the only species on Earth that were able to make it possible, now we get to sit until we die because we couldn't get to Mars. We have failed as a society and don't deserve our gifts to survive for this long. Maybe this is why dinosaurs are extinct, we sure aren't any better than the dirt you say we're created from. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...DvwSOFto#! Noo

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
-Albert Einstein

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."
-Benjamin Franklin
02-08-2013 10:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
тωιѕтє∂ Offline
Revolutionary

Okay, fine. Then just refuse to go to school. See were that takes you.

Oh, and once you are 50 years old and still living with your parents because you do not know anything and cannot get a real carreer because of that... think of me Biggrin

02-09-2013 07:31 AM
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Given 63 thank(s) in 46 post(s)

(02-08-2013 09:21 AM)Twisted Wrote:  You people are not understanding what I'm saying, all people learn in different ways and school can't provide everyones needs. Get the fuck over it.
ohboyherewego.jpeg

Schools CAN provide it, they just need to break away from the rigidity of the typical classroom and grade and standardized test structure. We based our system off of the Prussian system, which was created in the late 1800s
to make good factory workers and obedient citizens. We haven't made much of a change.

The "learning in different ways" idea is unfounded, a good teacher offers information in multiple ways to make sure everyone can have a chance to obtain a decent understanding of the material.

The most basic problem is simple: All of the kids hate education because they see education as the boring taught-to-the-test material we get in school, not what it really is.

If you want to break it down even further, we have two basic subjects which are the roots of education: Math and Reading.
More about math, read this:
http://www.maa.org/devlin/lockhartslament.pdf

The basic problem with reading is we are given shit stories from those stupid textbooks and forced to dissect and spit back facts about the story. SO we learn, essentially, that reading = not fun, and bad, and stupid. So when we get to be older, we are bad at it because we hated it as a kid, and we stay bad at it.

The best way to teach vocab and grammar and even analyzing text is just to read a ton of good, fun, interesting books. Reading is a natural, fun way to increase vocab, learn to understand vocab from context clues, understand grammar, and all that other stuff that is taught seperatley just because we see the right way to do things and look up words we don't know and get better without realizing or wasting time on phonics and grammar.

It is NOT just the people, many teachers genuinely try to make it better, and do more good then bad. Its more of an overall system problem.

The purpose of life is a life with a purpose
So I’d rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless
I don’t need the circus or the day of national observance
I need you to think for you and stop being a servant
-Immortal Technique, The Martyr, The Martyr
02-09-2013 02:15 PM
тωιѕтє∂ Offline
Revolutionary

I like education...

02-10-2013 12:12 PM
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Well, congratulations on being in the minority, but are you really going to sit here and tell me that the majority of kids like things that are labeled as "educational"?

02-10-2013 03:44 PM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)

Twisted, I like education too but you know, that's not the same thing as school. You know, school interfering with my education was the reason I didn't like school. . IamNoone, there is a big difference between things labelled as education and things that are education.

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
02-10-2013 10:07 PM
тωιѕтє∂ Offline
Revolutionary

Well I thought that school was stupid too, until I found out HOW to learn from it.

02-11-2013 04:37 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

According to school, they're the education experts though so that shouldn't really be your job...

stupid article
02-11-2013 04:44 AM
тωιѕтє∂ Offline
Revolutionary

What?!

I'm so confused now. I don't even know how to put what my mind is saying into words.

02-11-2013 04:57 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

School says you should shut up and pay attention to them because they're the education experts but they also tell you to take charge of your learning and then get pissy when you do. They can't have it both ways. If they're the education experts, figuring out how to learn from school isn't your job - it's their job to see that you do learn from school and that's not the same thing as teaching you. If they're not educational experts, then they shouldn't get pissy when you do take charge of your learning.

stupid article
02-11-2013 05:00 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
тωιѕтє∂ Offline
Revolutionary

?

02-11-2013 06:08 AM
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

(02-11-2013 04:37 AM)Twisted Wrote:  Well I thought that school was stupid too, until I found out HOW to learn from it.

What do you mean?

@Trekkie that was my point, kids hate anything that they perceive as educational, but not learning itself.

02-11-2013 07:29 AM
RammsteinFearFactory Offline
Celery Addict's metalhead friend

Given 33 thank(s) in 28 post(s)

derrrrrrrp this whole thread. I think the point Twisted is trying to put across is that if you can't make the education system adapt to the subject the subject must adapt instead. Both parties in this argument are sort of missing the point of each other it seems. I am surprised no one here has brought up homeschooling, or online schooling. You aren't forced to use school specifically. You shouldn't be forced to use it though. This forum has said many times before, throughout the generations, that there will be a rebellion of 13 year olds but has that happened? No. Will it ever happen here? No. You just keep saying it. Do something otherwise there isn't really much point. I hate the one size fits all view too, that's why I originally came here, but I do get a bit of Twisted's point. I suggest one of you runs as a congressman and give speeches at conventions instead of speeches on here. Want to change education? Change it. Personally I am critical of mass homework and I would advocate for UK homeschool reform so people aren't forced into a school to do GCSEs. Those people are homeschooled for a reason.

[Image: adhd_mild.gif]
02-11-2013 08:04 AM
RammsteinFearFactory Offline
Celery Addict's metalhead friend

Given 33 thank(s) in 28 post(s)

I also recommend posting this thread in Scholastic Dementia or as it's now called "Dark n' Edgy" if you want more centrist responses.

[Image: adhd_mild.gif]
02-11-2013 08:07 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:Well I thought that school was stupid too, until I found out HOW to learn from it.
So how do you learn from it?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-12-2013 01:44 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Schools are a corrupt and rotten system from a bygone era and a stain upon the very ideals we're supposed to learn, or so I like to call them.

(02-11-2013 04:37 AM)Twisted Wrote:  Well I thought that school was stupid too, until I found out HOW to learn from it.

This sounds like something from one of those annoying Sunday morning television advertisements.

I like to see it as two different things here. Knowledge through Education is the main idea. However, many people seem to assume School provides Education. This is a flawed idea since schools are just buildings, institutions that provide the means to education, which is supposed to be provided by educators. Ineffective educators mean an ineffective education which means ineffective knowledge which thus leads to an ineffective society.

I had such a debate with my parents, pointing out that school is not the only way I could learn but that there are millions of other ways. I obviously won, but parents being parents denied my claim to victory. Smile

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
02-12-2013 08:41 AM
Asder Miller The Second Offline
Anonymous Supporter

Given 17 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

Everyone loves learning, as long as it is in there interest

School isnt as bad as you think
02-12-2013 11:21 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

AKA intrinsic motivation, something the current school system enjoys annihilating.

"MONEY FIRST!!!" seems to be more the saying. I'm more leaning towards the Renaissance era beliefs, the polymath, who was knowledgeable in many fields yet due to self-interest in them rather than seeking external rewards

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
02-12-2013 12:46 PM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Indeed. I didn't really care about grades. I was there to learn.

stupid article
02-12-2013 09:19 PM
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

Given 233 thank(s) in 157 post(s)

(02-04-2013 09:59 AM)Twisted Wrote:  I just learned this from my older brother yesterday. That it's not the school's or education's fault that some people think it's crap, it's the PEOPLE.

I'm not saying people are bad, but education is a good thing, and school provides that, it's just that everyone has a different way of learning things, so how do you expect the education system to fit EVERYONES needs?

For me, the school system is pretty fair and good. I like to learn, and going to school helps me do that. I don't mind work, or the people. The only thing that is really bothering me is the stupid teacher's strike.

So, think about that.
You really are a persistent one. You realize you won't get anywhere, no matter how qualitative your argument can get. You haven't even reached that point.

You should have realized coming here to post this nonsense was a mistake. I'm in a pretty bad mood right now, so you should just gtfo because you'll just be a little pro-school pest on these forums.

No one's gonna like you, and all of your pro-school arguments will just be countered.

Either respect our views, or there's the door...
—and you can GTFO.

Seven crappy hours of our lives.
02-12-2013 10:39 PM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

I don't expect the education system to fit everyone's needs. I expect it to facilitate everyone fitting their own needs. That starts with better awareness of home education being a perfectly legal option. If we know that, then the schools will have to improve, since there's more competition and more consumer education.

As for, 'it can't be done', go talk to these people: http://www.summerhillschool.co.uk/ .

stupid article
02-12-2013 10:55 PM
тωιѕтє∂ Offline
Revolutionary

(02-12-2013 10:39 PM)Thel Vadam Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 09:59 AM)Twisted Wrote:  I just learned this from my older brother yesterday. That it's not the school's or education's fault that some people think it's crap, it's the PEOPLE.

So, think about that.
You really are a persistent one. You realize you won't get anywhere, no matter how qualitative your argument can get. You haven't even reached that point.

You should have realized coming here to post this nonsense was a mistake. I'm in a pretty bad mood right now, so you should just gtfo because you'll just be a little pro-school pest on these forums.

No one's gonna like you, and all of your pro-school arguments will just be countered.

Either respect our views, or there's the door...
—and you can GTFO.

Wait, you're telling me to respect YOUR views when you are the one telling me to "gtfo" and that I'm a "pest"?

I never said I was pro-school. I said I was pro-learning and education. And that sometimes you have to deal with certain things in life.

No one knows what they are here for exactly, or why life even exists. But I can tell you right now it's not about complaining or hating.

If you were to never deal with anything "bad" in your childhood, do you realize how fucked you would be in the future?

Overall, I'm just happy I don't live in the horrible United States, or raised by two idiots.

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2013 06:17 AM by тωιѕтє∂.)
02-13-2013 06:17 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

I'd say I prefer being in the US vs my own country(not that it's a bad country but the education system relies more on students taking a test at the end of their high school and ranks them by the score to decide which occupations they can study for and which schools they can attend)

But then again, I'm not in much agreeance with the way most public schools in America work.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
02-13-2013 06:30 AM
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

(02-12-2013 08:41 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Schools are a corrupt and rotten system from a bygone era and a stain upon the very ideals we're supposed to learn, or so I like to call them.

This sounds like something from one of those annoying Sunday morning television advertisements.

I like to see it as two different things here. Knowledge through Education is the main idea. However, many people seem to assume School provides Education. This is a flawed idea since schools are just buildings, institutions that provide the means to education, which is supposed to be provided by educators. Ineffective educators mean an ineffective education which means ineffective knowledge which thus leads to an ineffective society.

I had such a debate with my parents, pointing out that school is not the only way I could learn but that there are millions of other ways. I obviously won, but parents being parents denied my claim to victory. Smile
You never actually answered lol.

You forgot the second thing.

02-13-2013 11:47 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Shh...It was supposed to remain an open-secret.Mwahaha

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
02-13-2013 01:07 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Reasons why I hate school and the education system awesomejuan36912 7 12,715 01-03-2017 07:43 AM
Last Post: Superkamiguru
  Einstein Quotes on Education and School chris3991m 1 2,980 09-16-2016 02:32 AM
Last Post: UnicornLionWolf
  25.5 Reasons why I hate school and the education system awesomejuan36912 3 3,960 02-01-2016 11:44 PM
Last Post: awesomejuan36912
  I HATE High School and The Education System Rightsmen 13 15,310 12-30-2015 02:08 AM
Last Post: Coolhandluke
  School Survival / Catalyst / Dialogue on Education hangout running NOW -- join us! xcriteria 0 1,720 03-30-2015 09:27 AM
Last Post: xcriteria
  Blake Boles Real Education Podcast #1: Ken Danford on Thriving Without School xcriteria 4 3,209 03-20-2015 02:03 PM
  Education and School spoken word ..V.. 3 3,007 10-27-2013 04:13 AM
  Back To School: 15 Myths About Education Miller0700 16 9,314 02-09-2013 01:15 PM
Last Post: no
  Does your relation to education change with diff. school? MissingNO 5 3,643 10-09-2012 07:41 AM
Last Post: guts12
  It's not always the teacher's fault... OasisxPoisonxProdigy 24 8,098 08-20-2012 04:54 AM
Last Post: OasisxPoisonxProdigy