RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
It's not the education's or the school's fault...
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

Given 233 thank(s) in 157 post(s)
RE: It's not the education's or the school's fault...

(02-13-2013 06:17 AM)Twisted Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 10:39 PM)Thel Vadam Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 09:59 AM)Twisted Wrote:  I just learned this from my older brother yesterday. That it's not the school's or education's fault that some people think it's crap, it's the PEOPLE.

I'm not saying people are bad, but education is a good thing, and school provides that, it's just that everyone has a different way of learning things, so how do you expect the education system to fit EVERYONES needs?

For me, the school system is pretty fair and good. I like to learn, and going to school helps me do that. I don't mind work, or the people. The only thing that is really bothering me is the stupid teacher's strike.

So, think about that.
You really are a persistent one. You realize you won't get anywhere, no matter how qualitative your argument can get. You haven't even reached that point.

You should have realized coming here to post this nonsense was a mistake. I'm in a pretty bad mood right now, so you should just gtfo because you'll just be a little pro-school pest on these forums.

No one's gonna like you, and all of your pro-school arguments will just be countered.

Either respect our views, or there's the door...
—and you can GTFO.

Wait, you're telling me to respect YOUR views when you are the one telling me to "gtfo" and that I'm a "pest"?

I never said I was pro-school. I said I was pro-learning and education. And that sometimes you have to deal with certain things in life.

No one knows what they are here for exactly, or why life even exists. But I can tell you right now it's not about complaining or hating.

If you were to never deal with anything "bad" in your childhood, do you realize how fucked you would be in the future?

Overall, I'm just happy I don't live in the horrible United States, or raised by two idiots.
I say respect them OR gtfo. Some of the pro-schoolers really just tick me off. Most of their views disgust me. Just from the way you were speaking I believed you were pro-school, but you know the rest of us here don't mind an education. We're all pro-learning/pro-education, but being coerced by the government's laws to go to school is just something I just won't simply deal with.

I made a vow to take action to get the justice I and other kids deserve against the public school institutions. My life has been hell these past 2 years because of school. Before it was kind of tolerable, but I still hated school with passion. This website only justified my feelings towards such an institution. I can't imagine how my life would have been if I found this website while I was still in middle school.

Seven crappy hours of our lives.
02-13-2013 02:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

I still wanna know how you learn from school. If you're going to say that school is fine as long as you know how to learn from it, you should at least tell everyone here how you've managed to achieve that.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-16-2013 11:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)

Me too, Soul, me too.

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
02-17-2013 12:53 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

You could learn to hate school? That's a type of learning,no?

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
02-17-2013 04:03 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

True, but I don't think that's what Twisted meant.

stupid article
02-17-2013 04:05 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Neither do I.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
02-17-2013 04:07 AM
тωιѕтє∂ Offline
Revolutionary

Given 34 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

Well, I guess it's just my teacher. She our homeroom, science, math, LA, social studies, media, and drama teacher. She doesn't just teach us stuff, but she teaches how it works and explains throughly when we need it.
Our class will start with going over our math problems, then end talking about life in general.
You could bring up something completely random that you want to know more about, and she will explain it using examples, evidence, and connections.
She teaches us how to be better people, encourages us in our choices, and trys her hardest to motivate us.

God damn my teacher is awesome.

Twisted The Twisted Smiley Belongs To Twisted Twisted

"Treat every problem as a challenge, not a dead end. And treat every question like an obstacle worthy of your effort." -my friend's wise Asian father (Sounds better in Chinese)

OBNOXIOUSLY HUGE AND NOTICEABLE
02-17-2013 08:40 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

That's brilliant, twisted. It's just that you seem to assume that everyone had that experience.

stupid article
02-17-2013 08:43 AM
Asder Miller The Second Offline
Anonymous Supporter

Given 17 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

ilear othig fro shool ad sorry y keyoard is roke

School isnt as bad as you think
02-17-2013 11:43 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Twisted, that teacher of yours is how all teachers should be. If all teachers were like that, most people would probably enjoy school and learn a lot from it, and this site wouldn't exist.

But, unfortunately, teachers like yours are a minority, and no amount of qualifications and training will make any random teacher turn out that way. It's a personality thing.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
02-17-2013 09:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Exactly, soul.

stupid article
02-18-2013 01:01 AM
тωιѕтє∂ Offline
Revolutionary

Oh, well that's poopy :(

"Treat every problem as a challenge, not a dead end. And treat every question like an obstacle worthy of your effort." -my friend's wise Asian father (Sounds better in Chinese)

02-18-2013 01:28 AM
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

(02-18-2013 01:28 AM)Twisted Wrote:  Oh, well that's poopy :(
I have to vouch for Soul on this. This is a super minority thing. In 8th grade, the only thing I really liked about school was my team of teachers. All of them from the core subjects were really nice and very helpful. That, and having a great P.E. teacher in 9th grade, are my only experiences of encountering such empowering teachers. Smile

(This post was last modified: 02-18-2013 01:32 PM by GamerGurl.)
02-18-2013 01:31 PM
тωιѕтє∂ Offline
Revolutionary

YOU MEAN HIGH SCHOOL WILL SUCK?!

02-19-2013 01:21 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

That's quite possible.

Hidden stuff:
02-19-2013 01:29 AM
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

(02-19-2013 01:21 AM)Twisted Wrote:  YOU MEAN HIGH SCHOOL WILL SUCK?!
SoulRiser is right. It most likely will, but you never really know. Just don't count on having it good every year or two. It's very rare.

I also apologize for coming off to blunt and rude. Razz

02-19-2013 10:39 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

I hated 10th grade, because my math teacher(who was also our guidance counselor) thought his methods were right and everyone else was wrong. I liked the other years...

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
02-20-2013 06:01 AM
тωιѕтє∂ Offline
Revolutionary

Well thanks for that.

02-20-2013 06:16 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

I get it. You're saying that people are at fault because no system could adequately convince all of them to learn new things and become intelligent, common-sense-loving members of society. Because man is stupid, man needs to learn.

You're right on one point - no system could possibly turn a bunch of idiots into a bunch of geniuses. That's why I'm opposed to a system claiming it can not only do that, but also denying people alternatives to itself.

The public school system simply doesn't fulfill its intended purpose because it can't. It must be destroyed and replaced with various alternatives - if there are enough non-mandatory means of receiving an education, then there would be very little excuse for being stupid.

Between being self-taught, taught by parents, taught by a charter school, taught by businesses posing as schools, or taught by online methods, I pity any fool that has all of those options but still cannot learn.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
02-20-2013 11:59 AM
 Thanks given by: TheRevolutionWillNotBeTelevised
тωιѕтє∂ Offline
Revolutionary

Isn't catholic school the same as public school just with a bunch of prayers and shit added?

02-20-2013 12:43 PM
TheRevolutionWillNotBeTelevised Offline
Weird Psychonaut Revolutionary Dreamer

Given 14 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

What about oppressive administration violating students civil rights? You've got strict dress code being an infringement of freedom of expression. You've got locker and person searches for "safety" that make us all feel like criminals being an infringement of privacy. You've got countless unjust actions that have been taken, even in the schools I've gone through alone, by administrative authority figures in school. I agree with you in some aspects. Teachers can in many cases be great people and can even teach purposeful knowledge. The majority of teachers though, unfortunately, conform to an automated "lesson plan". The thing is that the foundation of education itself is what is what holds the most wrong. The fault goes to whoever keeps the education machine running to mold more and more minds with the same standardized knowledge without any consideration for the individual and their freedom. Education should definitely not be compulsory, because it should not control and determine your quality of life in society based on what you are as a statistic (grades).
02-20-2013 12:59 PM
 Thanks given by: GamerGurl , Ky
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Teachers are unfortunately pumped out of "factories" that teach people how to teach in the way they want them to. Just as how schools crush student creativity, these "factories" destroy the main talent necessary for a successful teacher, which is inner motivation to teach and a willingness to connect with students on the learning and share this motivation. You can not teach a person this talent just as you can't teach imagination or creativity. Teachers are practically taught to treat higher-grade students as those motivated to learn(when they may simply be motivated to get high grades, be distinguished or well-known or just like to perfectly obey what is told without thought) and treat those with lower-grades as lacking capacity to learn or as distressed students who are in need of "help".

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
02-20-2013 01:28 PM
 Thanks given by: TheRevolutionWillNotBeTelevised , GamerGurl
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

(02-20-2013 12:43 PM)Twisted Wrote:  Isn't catholic school the same as public school just with a bunch of prayers and shit added?
Pretty much, but what does that have to do with anything?

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
02-22-2013 01:51 PM
HawkbitAlpha Offline
Pariah

Given 95 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

(02-22-2013 01:51 PM)DoA Wrote:  
(02-20-2013 12:43 PM)Twisted Wrote:  Isn't catholic school the same as public school just with a bunch of prayers and shit added?
Pretty much, but what does that have to do with anything?

Might be because of the charter school reference above. Either that or Twisted has nothing left to make a legit rebuttal with

RIP GWEDIN (2013-2017)
RIP URITIYOGI (2016-2017)
RIP NIGHT (2009-2017)
RIP VONUNOV (2008-2017)
RIP WES/THEWAKE (2007-2017)
RIP USERNAME (2013-2017)
RIP HAWKBIT (2013-2017)
RIP SS

"Write me a little report of [my video], so I know you watched it, or you get another warning. One of my other goals is to make this forum a bit of my own class...So, tell me, how you feel about the new rule of having you do homework? Or you get another warning. So, do you want to do this or not?...Please send a PM and tell me if you're willing or not. I will probably give you 24 hours to send the PM. No PM will indicate to me that, no, you don't want to do things in this new way. So, you will be saying goodbye."
-Stevehein, promise-maker and Führer moderator of SJW-Survival, 2017

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2013 06:08 PM by HawkbitAlpha.)
02-22-2013 05:06 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Reasons why I hate school and the education system awesomejuan36912 7 12,446 01-03-2017 07:43 AM
Last Post: Superkamiguru
  Einstein Quotes on Education and School chris3991m 1 2,906 09-16-2016 02:32 AM
Last Post: UnicornLionWolf
  25.5 Reasons why I hate school and the education system awesomejuan36912 3 3,872 02-01-2016 11:44 PM
Last Post: awesomejuan36912
  I HATE High School and The Education System Rightsmen 13 15,072 12-30-2015 02:08 AM
Last Post: Coolhandluke
  School Survival / Catalyst / Dialogue on Education hangout running NOW -- join us! xcriteria 0 1,666 03-30-2015 09:27 AM
Last Post: xcriteria
  Blake Boles Real Education Podcast #1: Ken Danford on Thriving Without School xcriteria 4 3,107 03-20-2015 02:03 PM
  Education and School spoken word ..V.. 3 2,937 10-27-2013 04:13 AM
  Back To School: 15 Myths About Education Miller0700 16 9,015 02-09-2013 01:15 PM
Last Post: no
  Does your relation to education change with diff. school? MissingNO 5 3,503 10-09-2012 07:41 AM
Last Post: guts12
  It's not always the teacher's fault... OasisxPoisonxProdigy 24 7,873 08-20-2012 04:54 AM
Last Post: OasisxPoisonxProdigy