RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
They Cant Do This!!!!!!
Asder Miller The Second Offline
Anonymous Supporter

Given 17 thank(s) in 15 post(s)
They Cant Do This!!!!!!

my phone went off in class.i took it out a little put it on silent,the teacher than tried to take it out of my hand,i grabbed it back and said "hahaha nope"

they cant take away our phones can they?

School isnt as bad as you think
01-28-2013 10:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Night Offline
Queen Mod

Given 372 thank(s) in 211 post(s)
RE: They Cant Do This!!!!!!

Sorry everyone, but yes, teachers CAN take your cell phones.

In loco Parentis
Quote:The legal doctrine under which an individual assumes parental rights, duties, and obligations without going through the formalities of legal Adoption.

Quote:By far the most common usage of in loco parentis relates to teachers and students.

A parent can take your cell phone. So Can you teacher according to this.

I'm a girl ffffeck
Hidden stuff:
01-28-2013 11:30 AM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

Did a little more research on in loco parentis.

Quote:The provisions of in loco parentis have generally not been upheld over time. In New Jersey v. T.L.O. (1985) Justice White wrote: "In carrying out searches and other disciplinary functions pursuant to such policies, school officials act as representatives of the State, not merely as surrogates for the parents, and they cannot claim the parents' immunity from the strictures of the Fourth Amendment." The case upheld the search of a purse while on public school property based upon reasonable suspicion, indicating there is a balancing between the student's legitimate expectation of privacy and the public school's interest in maintaining order and discipline. However, in Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier (1987) the Supreme Court ruled that "First Amendment rights of students in the public schools are not automatically coextensive with the rights of adults in other settings, and must be applied in light of the special characteristics of the school environment" and schools may censor school-sponsored publications (such as a school newspaper) if content is "...inconsistent with its basic educational mission." Other student issues such as school dress codes along with locker, cell phone, and personal laptop computer searches by public school officials have not yet been tested in the Supreme Court.
Somebody take this to the supreme court please and eliminate the legalized theft of phones and other electronics from public schools.

They sure can take your phone legally, but you sure as hell don't have to let them. In my opinion, it would be worth it to refuse giving up your phone, and accepting whatever arbitrary consequences they impose on you for challenging their authority instead. If a teacher asks me to give up my phone, then I will not be tolerant of it. His or her authority to take away my phone will not be recognized, and my phone will remain safe in my pocket. It's not something I've really had to worry about this year though. All of my teachers are really chill about it because they even know it's ridiculous.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2013 03:11 PM by Sunbourn.)
01-28-2013 02:41 PM
Unknown-Creation Offline
Forever Watching

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

(01-28-2013 02:41 PM)|55555| Wrote:  Did a little more research on in loco parentis.

Quote:The provisions of in loco parentis have generally not been upheld over time. In New Jersey v. T.L.O. (1985) Justice White wrote: "In carrying out searches and other disciplinary functions pursuant to such policies, school officials act as representatives of the State, not merely as surrogates for the parents, and they cannot claim the parents' immunity from the strictures of the Fourth Amendment." The case upheld the search of a purse while on public school property based upon reasonable suspicion, indicating there is a balancing between the student's legitimate expectation of privacy and the public school's interest in maintaining order and discipline. However, in Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier (1987) the Supreme Court ruled that "First Amendment rights of students in the public schools are not automatically coextensive with the rights of adults in other settings, and must be applied in light of the special characteristics of the school environment" and schools may censor school-sponsored publications (such as a school newspaper) if content is "...inconsistent with its basic educational mission." Other student issues such as school dress codes along with locker, cell phone, and personal laptop computer searches by public school officials have not yet been tested in the Supreme Court.
Somebody take this to the supreme court please and eliminate the legalized theft of phones and other electronics from public schools.

They sure can take your phone legally, but you sure as hell don't have to let them. In my opinion, it would be worth it to refuse giving up your phone, and accepting whatever arbitrary consequences they impose on your for challenging their authority instead. If a teacher asks me to give up my phone, then I will not be tolerant of it. His or her authority to take away my phone will not be recognized, and my phone will remain safe in my pocket. It's not something I've really had to worry about this year though. All of my teachers are really chill about it because they even know it's ridiculous.

The majority of my teachers are lax about it, too, as long as you're not using them (or make it seem like you're not using it), but one of my teachers compete with some other teachers and wants to take someone's phone away the minute she lays her eyes on it. It's complete bullshit, but that's what she does.

I often forget about the existence of the thanks button on these forums...

If my writing happens to be too sporadic, too brief, or missing information, call me out on it.

"The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma."
~ Patrick Star
01-28-2013 02:54 PM
AnonBrony Offline
Rebel

Given 5 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

(01-28-2013 02:54 PM)Unknown-Creation Wrote:  
(01-28-2013 02:41 PM)|55555| Wrote:  Did a little more research on in loco parentis.

They sure can take your phone legally, but you sure as hell don't have to let them. In my opinion, it would be worth it to refuse giving up your phone, and accepting whatever arbitrary consequences they impose on your for challenging their authority instead. If a teacher asks me to give up my phone, then I will not be tolerant of it. His or her authority to take away my phone will not be recognized, and my phone will remain safe in my pocket. It's not something I've really had to worry about this year though. All of my teachers are really chill about it because they even know it's ridiculous.

The majority of my teachers are lax about it, too, as long as you're not using them (or make it seem like you're not using it), but one of my teachers compete with some other teachers and wants to take someone's phone away the minute she lays her eyes on it. It's complete bullshit, but that's what she does.

Every member of staff in my school would do anything to take phones from people.

~Anon Brony
01-28-2013 06:33 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
They Cant Do This!!!!!!

Get a chain attached to your phone, and attach it to your underwear. That way, in order for them to take it, they have to touch your underwear. And we all know how legally messy that can get...

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
01-28-2013 09:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)

Yeh...soul, legally messy is the only problem...

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
01-29-2013 02:37 AM
AnonBrony Offline
Rebel

Given 5 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

(01-28-2013 09:02 PM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Get a chain attached to your phone, and attach it to your underwear. That way, in order for them to take it, they have to touch your underwear. And we all know how legally messy that can get...

One of the history teachers at my school's a bit of a pedo, though.

~Anon Brony
01-29-2013 08:04 AM
Dirtbikemike Offline
Balls denser than a White Dwarf

Given 78 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

(01-28-2013 09:02 PM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Get a chain attached to your phone, and attach it to your underwear. That way, in order for them to take it, they have to touch your underwear. And we all know how legally messy that can get...

Actually, I think not the underwear, but pants if they're loose like basketball shorts or yoga pants (YUM Bigeek ). That way when the pants start getting pulled toward the teacher you can scream "Why are you taking my pants off!?"

Balls of Steel:
Hidden stuff:
(01-13-2012 10:37 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  Mike you deserve an SS medal. Here, be proud:
[Image: BallsofSteel2.png]
Congrats for doing something I never had the balls to do.
If you have kids, save them from the bullshit you are forced to go through.
(01-25-2012 05:36 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  Balls of steel re-awarded. 
(02-07-2012 03:22 PM)flann Wrote:  Balls of Tungsten, now.

I found a picture for tungsten balls
http://bit.ly/xqd1zk

(02-14-2012 03:17 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Your balls are denser than white dwarf star matter.
(03-13-2012 08:27 PM)M3116 Wrote:  Balls of steel re-re-reawarded Nutter

(05-14-2013 03:01 PM)Prince Darkstar Wrote:  Dirtbikemike is the only guy I know of on here who won an argument with a teacher.
01-29-2013 09:27 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)
They Cant Do This!!!!!!

They can do this, but only if you let them.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
01-29-2013 10:12 AM
Dirtbikemike Offline
Balls denser than a White Dwarf

Given 78 thank(s) in 45 post(s)
They Cant Do This!!!!!!

DoA is right.

I had a substitute teacher say I have 5 seconds to put my phone away, but I was doing something that I wanted to finish. I kept doing what I was doing until he started to reach for my phone and I put it in my pocket. Got it to my pocket just about as his hand got to my phone and he HAD to stop reaching.

Feeling butthurt, he then went to the front of the class and announced his obvious power over us.

Balls of Steel:
Hidden stuff:
(01-13-2012 10:37 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  Mike you deserve an SS medal. Here, be proud:
[Image: BallsofSteel2.png]
Congrats for doing something I never had the balls to do.
If you have kids, save them from the bullshit you are forced to go through.
(01-25-2012 05:36 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  Balls of steel re-awarded. 
(02-07-2012 03:22 PM)flann Wrote:  Balls of Tungsten, now.

I found a picture for tungsten balls
http://bit.ly/xqd1zk

(02-14-2012 03:17 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Your balls are denser than white dwarf star matter.
(03-13-2012 08:27 PM)M3116 Wrote:  Balls of steel re-re-reawarded Nutter

(05-14-2013 03:01 PM)Prince Darkstar Wrote:  Dirtbikemike is the only guy I know of on here who won an argument with a teacher.
01-29-2013 10:34 AM
 Thanks given by: Ky
ghhking Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
They Cant Do This!!!!!!

In Loco Parentis is bullshit. It just strips kids of rights and turns us into drudging squares.
01-29-2013 11:25 AM