RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study: Significant Number of Young Americans Get Arrested
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

More like America: Home of the incarcerated amirite? Peg me in as one of the ones who was arrested as a young teenager.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/arrests-inc...HQ2eBXAdWZ

Quote:By age 23, up to 41 percent of American adolescents and young adults have been arrested at least once for something other than a minor traffic violation, according to a new study published today in the journal Pediatrics.

The study gives no indication of how many of these young people committed violent crimes versus how many were rounded up for more minor infractions, such as disturbing the peace. But the study's authors say such a high percentage of arrests may point to a host of potential health and behavioral problems that put young people at risk for criminal activity.

"An arrest usually happens in context. There are usually other things going on in a kid's life," said study author Robert Brame, professor of criminal justice and criminology at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.

In the study, Brame and his colleagues analyzed responses to a national survey of more than 7,000 young people between 1997 and 2008. They found that between 25 and 41 percent of the respondents reported one arrest by the age of 23; 16 to 27 percent of the respondents reported being arrested by age 18.

Not all of the young people remained in the study for all 11 years, accounting for the uncertainty reflected in the wide ranges of the study's findings.

But even at the lowest ends of these ranges, the study's findings were higher than projections of youth arrests made in 1965, the last time scientists studied this topic.
Teen Beating: Viral Violence Watch Video
Teen Dating Abuse Shockingly Common Watch Video
Caught in the Act: Bank Robbers Watch Video

"Those are alarmingly high numbers," said Dr. Eugene Beresin, a child psychiatrist at Massachusetts General Hospital and professor at Harvard Medical School. "There are social, economic, educational and family risks associated with arrests. And we all have to be worried about that."

Although an arrest doesn't necessarily mean a child, teen or young adult is a criminal, previous research has connected run-ins with the law with other problems -- drug addiction, physical or emotional abuse and poverty, to name a few.

Beresin said a high number of arrests could also indicate a high rate of untreated psychiatric disorders, another factor that has been linked to criminal activity. According to the Coalition for Juvenile Justice, a nonprofit group, between 50 to 75 percent of incarcerated young people have diagnosable mental health problems.

Whatever the cause of the arrests, the study's authors suggest that pediatricians are primely placed to observe and confront potential problems with their young patients, with an ability to counsel children and their parents and direct them to services that can help.

"Pediatricians should be aware that these arrests are a high prevalence occurrence," Brame said. "A report of an arrest could be a gateway to a broader conversation about what's going on."

A pediatrician's authority and relationship with troubled patients may be ideal, but their ability to actually help patients out of a cycle of criminal activity is less certain. Due to physician shortages in primary care, many pediatricians are overwhelmed by patient loads or undertrained to confront problems such as psychiatric disorders. In 2010, the American Academy of Pediatrics called for better training for all pediatricians in helping their young patients with mental health issues.

Even if a pediatrician tries to help a patient with a criminal record, Beresin notes that the services that are meant to help troubled youth are limited, and budget belt-tightening in many states is making them even scarcer.

"It's like Ghostbusters, who are you going to call? There are very few people to call." Beresin said. "We're really asleep at the wheel right now when it comes to these problems with our young people."

Who am I? Who are YOU?
01-23-2013 11:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
RE: Study: Significant Number of Young Americans Get Arrested

Quote:The study gives no indication of how many of these young people committed violent crimes versus how many were rounded up for more minor infractions, such as disturbing the peace. But the study's authors say such a high percentage of arrests may point to a host of potential health and behavioral problems that put young people at risk for criminal activity.

This study is completely useless. "Oh, they're at risk, blah blah". No they're just being arrested for stupid shit that can't possibly harm anyone in any kind of sane circumstance, like having a pencil sharpener at school, or pointing their finger at someone in a way that makes it look like they're attempting to "shoot" them with it.

Solution: Stop arresting people for no damn reason. Watch those rates go waaaay down...

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
01-24-2013 02:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Ky
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

(01-24-2013 02:20 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  
Quote:The study gives no indication of how many of these young people committed violent crimes versus how many were rounded up for more minor infractions, such as disturbing the peace. But the study's authors say such a high percentage of arrests may point to a host of potential health and behavioral problems that put young people at risk for criminal activity.

This study is completely useless. "Oh, they're at risk, blah blah". No they're just being arrested for stupid shit that can't possibly harm anyone in any kind of sane circumstance, like having a pencil sharpener at school, or pointing their finger at someone in a way that makes it look like they're attempting to "shoot" them with it.

Solution: Stop arresting people for no damn reason. Watch those rates go waaaay down...
While we're at it, pot needs to be at the very least decriminalized. Watch the prisons immediately empty out...

Who am I? Who are YOU?
01-24-2013 04:10 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser , Ky
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

I've quoted this article a lot. Some of those arrests are for no reason, but there are a lot of real problems underlying those statistics.

When people are trapped in a miserable existence, without an environment that stimulates interests, self-development, and so on, people are much more likely to slide into the kind of actions that can result in arrests.

[ "It's like Ghostbusters, who are you going to call? There are very few people to call." Beresin said. "We're really asleep at the wheel right now when it comes to these problems with our young people." ]

That quote is as applicable to young people themselves as it is to everyone else. The sad thing about articles like this is that they only tell part of the story, but they aren't completely meaningless. There's a real disconnect that needs to be resolved between psychiatry/mental health, education, the law, and people's real lives. I think psychiatry is a field that has a lot of potential to transform and get behind the rights of learners to change their lives in positive ways. That includes changing how school works, how people think about respect, and the definition of terms like "school refusal."

Too many in mental health don't understand the issues, but a number of them do. Their ideas aren't in enough people's hands.

For example,
Ed Hallowell: How Brain Science Can Save You From The Wrong Job
http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011...ance-cycle

TEDxBlue - Daniel J. Siegel, M.D. - 10/18/09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu7wEr8AnHw

So in short, even though many silly arrests occur among young people, many do signal underlying problems. Bullying, violence, and all kinds of things, many of which aren't even captured by these stats. Overall, a different approach is needed to thinking about psychiatry, criminal justice, punishment and rehabilitation, and how people make sense of their lives and decide what to do in general.

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
01-24-2013 04:31 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser , Ky
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Also all good points. Still, I doubt there are more teens doing illegal things than adults doing illegal things, in general. Teens just seem to be more likely to get arrested...

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
01-24-2013 06:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EntityCubed Offline
Back In Black

Given 39 thank(s) in 27 post(s)

I have watched "The War on Kids" two times, and they mentioned a child was arrested (or suspended, more likely arrested, but I dont remember) for pointing a piece of chicken and saying "pow".

"It does a fool no good to spend money on an education. Why? Because he has no common sense."-George Bush
01-24-2013 07:44 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

100% of all public-schooled children have been in a prison-like institution at least once, with the vast majority still serving their sentences.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
01-24-2013 08:56 AM
SmokeyTheAggie Offline
Renegade

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

America is 4x more likely to lock up there fellow citizens then any other country.

Source: Weapons of Mass Instruction, John Taylor Gatto

[Image: utahstatewords.png]
01-24-2013 08:59 AM
AtheistLGBTQAnarchist Offline
Peace Loving Blood Lover

Given 47 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

I love how obvious it is when the media exaggerates. They will call anything they don't like or think people should do "shocking".

Congratulations humanity,because you refuse to let go of the old and evolve you actually make people believe in 2012. Not only that, but you're the only species on Earth that were able to make it possible, now we get to sit until we die because we couldn't get to Mars. We have failed as a society and don't deserve our gifts to survive for this long. Maybe this is why dinosaurs are extinct, we sure aren't any better than the dirt you say we're created from. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...DvwSOFto#! Noo

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
-Albert Einstein

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."
-Benjamin Franklin
01-24-2013 11:11 AM