RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Guys...the law is already on our side.
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)

The Education Acts in England and America can be summed up as 'Education is compulsory...school isn't.'

For England, technically, we need do NOTHING if our children have never been in school. Also, if our children have been in mainstream school, a formal letter to the headteacher should suffice. For special schools, a formal letter to school, the L.A, and a copy of each other's should suffice, as long as the letter includes how the parent intends to meet the special needs of the child. However, L.E.A.s have a tendency to not stick to the law where home education is concerned.

For America, homeschool is legal in all 50 states, it's just easier in some than in others due to variation in how stringent or not the requirements are.

Thus, our priorities for those of us who wish to continue the fight should be, in no particular order:

1)Ensure that relevant school and government correspondence mentions that home education is a perfectly legal option.

2) Ensure the de facto situation matches the de jure situation. This includes education concerns and child welfare concerns not being conflated.

3)Ensure red homeschooling states back off. These states force all the disadvantages of school to be replicated.

4) Ensure that orange states don't become red states, either in law or in practice.

5)Ensure that yellow states don't become orange states, either in law or practice.

6)Ensure that green states don't become yellow states, either in law or practice.

England

America

Let's get cracking, guys!

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
01-13-2013 02:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Ky
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

I don't want education to be compulsory either...
01-13-2013 05:45 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

RE: Guys...the law is already on our side.

(01-13-2013 05:45 AM)LiptomaticMate Wrote:  I don't want education to be compulsory either...

If you know how to game the system though....

What's your typical free day look like?

stupid article
01-13-2013 05:59 AM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

I don't honestly care about education and not about school either. If I become intelligent through my activities I like, call me educated, but it was not my purpose. I just want to do stuff I like and enjoy.
01-13-2013 09:06 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

(01-13-2013 09:06 AM)LiptomaticMate Wrote:  I don't honestly care about education and not about school either. If I become intelligent through my activities I like, call me educated, but it was not my purpose. I just want to do stuff I like and enjoy.

See, the law requires you to be educated somehow, so again, it's just a case of recording your intelligence gain from stuff you did for fun.

stupid article
01-13-2013 09:25 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Yeah, homeschooling is legal in most places... But that doesn't help kids whose parents refuse to consider any alternatives... How can we help them?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
01-13-2013 09:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

Slavery is illegal in both of those countries. Ownership of another human being is slavery. Parents claim ownership of their children - is that not illegal in both countries?

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
01-13-2013 09:59 AM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

(01-13-2013 09:25 AM)Trekkie_Aspie Wrote:  
(01-13-2013 09:06 AM)LiptomaticMate Wrote:  I don't honestly care about education and not about school either. If I become intelligent through my activities I like, call me educated, but it was not my purpose. I just want to do stuff I like and enjoy.

See, the law requires you to be educated somehow, so again, it's just a case of recording your intelligence gain from stuff you did for fun.

And with that saying you have the same thoughts as me or?...not?
Do you feel the same way as me?
01-13-2013 10:26 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

(01-13-2013 09:51 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Yeah, homeschooling is legal in most places... But that doesn't help kids whose parents refuse to consider any alternatives... How can we help them?

A lot of parents refuse to because they think that school is compulsory - raising awareness that home education is legal should help a fair bit.

stupid article
01-13-2013 10:41 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

(01-13-2013 10:41 AM)Trekkie_Aspie Wrote:  
(01-13-2013 09:51 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Yeah, homeschooling is legal in most places... But that doesn't help kids whose parents refuse to consider any alternatives... How can we help them?

A lot of parents refuse to because they think that school is compulsory - raising awareness that home education is legal should help a fair bit.
Well, the parent rightly assumes that they'd have to contribute time they don't have to teaching their child. Parents work full times jobs that they can't quit.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
01-13-2013 10:54 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

"Can't" is such a strong word.

"Not willing to try to find alternative sources of income" is probably more accurate. There are ways to work from home and stuff. If they thought it was really important, they'd consider it.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
01-13-2013 10:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

(01-13-2013 10:54 AM)Wes Wrote:  

Well, the parent rightly assumes that they'd have to contribute time they don't have to teaching their child. Parents work full times jobs that they can't quit.

Depends how old the child is, surely? And legalities regarding when your child can be left home alone.

Soul, perhaps, we list alternative sources of income...then it's just a matter of trying it.

EDIT: How do I attach things again?

stupid article
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2013 12:21 AM by Trekkie_Aspie.)
01-13-2013 11:56 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

(01-13-2013 11:56 PM)Trekkie_Aspie Wrote:  

Depends how old the child is, surely? And legalities regarding when your child can be left home alone.

Soul, perhaps, we list alternative sources of income...then it's just a matter of trying it.

Alternative sources of income? Are honestly going to suggest that most people can actually tap into these revenue streams? Do you expect parents to change their employment or quit altogether and buy into some "alternative source of income?"

Also, homeschooling is generally done at the lower grade levels anyway when kids need more attention, have to be watched all the time. A lot of homeschooled kids end up going to a traditional school for the last few years of their schooling. Even if the older kids are being homeschooled, they still need parental supervision to keep them on track. Homeschooling is a full time job for a parent.

01-14-2013 07:24 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

(01-14-2013 07:24 AM)Wes Wrote:  
(01-13-2013 11:56 PM)Trekkie_Aspie Wrote:  

Alternative sources of income? Are honestly going to suggest that most people can actually tap into these revenue streams? Do you expect parents to change their employment or quit altogether and buy into some "alternative source of income?"

Also, homeschooling is generally done at the lower grade levels anyway when kids need more attention, have to be watched all the time. A lot of homeschooled kids end up going to a traditional school for the last few years of their schooling. Even if the older kids are being homeschooled, they still need parental supervision to keep them on track. Homeschooling is a full time job for a parent.

Umm...not necessarily. But we do need to conquer brainwashing...it's not necessarily expected to get everyone on board...one family is enough.

stupid article
01-14-2013 07:33 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

I actually believe that anyone who has kids should make their kids their #1 priority. So, if school isn't working for them, they should find some way to do something that works better, even if that means changing jobs and going out of their comfort zones and whatever.

Anyone who isn't willing to do that, should have thought of that before they had kids. And yeah, very few people think of that.

IMO all the "suck it up and deal with it" comments should be directed at parents, not their kids.

Hidden stuff:
01-14-2013 07:50 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

(01-14-2013 07:50 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  I actually believe that anyone who has kids should make their kids their #1 priority. So, if school isn't working for them, they should find some way to do something that works better, even if that means changing jobs and going out of their comfort zones and whatever.

Anyone who isn't willing to do that, should have thought of that before they had kids. And yeah, very few people think of that.

IMO all the "suck it up and deal with it" comments should be directed at parents, not their kids.

But that's not the way it works in the real world. Some parents might feel that they aren't smart enough to teach their children a lot of the academic content taught in school. They can do a better job by teaching their kids basic morals and being a provider. Other parents might not have the luxury of even thinking about changing jobs, or any job they would take that would provide them enough time to homeschool, at least with the traditional method, would not pay enough to support their current standard of living.

01-16-2013 01:41 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Thinking is not a luxury... anyone can do it at any time. Thinking of doing something is the first step towards doing it... yes I'm quite aware many people don't think they can teach their kids. Luckily, they don't need to.. . hello internet. Smile

Hidden stuff:
01-19-2013 10:05 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

(01-14-2013 07:50 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  I actually believe that anyone who has kids should make their kids their #1 priority. So, if school isn't working for them, they should find some way to do something that works better, even if that means changing jobs and going out of their comfort zones and whatever.

Seriously...how do I attach things again?

stupid article
01-22-2013 05:29 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Attach what where? Attachments to posts? I think that's disabled. What do you want to attach?

Hidden stuff:
01-22-2013 05:08 PM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

(01-22-2013 05:08 PM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Attach what where? Attachments to posts? I think that's disabled. What do you want to attach?

Yup....attachments to post. I made a quick word document and wanted to show you guys is all.

stupid article
01-22-2013 10:25 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Google Docs?

Hidden stuff:
01-23-2013 12:27 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Installing google drive...completed...attempting to sign in.

stupid article
02-06-2013 12:45 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Blast...will copy and paste

stupid article
02-06-2013 12:59 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Have fun, guys.

stupid article
02-06-2013 08:26 AM