RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Suggestion for All
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)
A Suggestion for All

Please, for the love of all that is holy, stop shitposting. I don't care what you think I'm doing in real life, I couldn't care less about Sonic the Hedgehog or any other horse puckey ASAP is in to, and I don't give a flying fuck about Anonymous. We have completely lost our direction!

I know that this forum has a long...LLLLLOOOONNNNGGGGGG...history of utter nonsense, total faggots, and tendency towards being completely unproductive; however, I think that we can and should change that.

First, we address the problem that we're all united here for - school. People of SS, please answer the following question in your reply to this thread:

Why do you hate school?

This is a very important first step - we each have our motives for being here. If we can pinpoint just what about the system is unfair, then maybe others might be convinced to think the same way.

Also, in case I haven't made myself clear...STOP SHITPOSTING.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
01-05-2013 10:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Reflect Offline
Rebel

Given 6 thank(s) in 3 post(s)
A Suggestion for All

I hate school because:
1) I'm very unlucky: in every single one of my classes, there are dumb ass trouble makers who do nothing but bothering the lesson. And in my friend's classes, every one is so intelligent, and no trouble makers.
2) The teacher actually wasting the lesson time and giving those trolls attention
3) I am learning shit load of material that will not help me in life in any way, but in matter of fact, will only become an obstacle for me. It's also boring as hell..
4) For some reason, the teacher always picks on me and asks me to tell the answer for a certain problem\question in front of the class, while there are many others who he\she does not pick almost never.
5) My parents are too obsessed with me getting good grades because they've failed when they were at my age.
01-05-2013 11:15 AM
Potato Offline
Pariah

Given 64 thank(s) in 50 post(s)
A Suggestion for All

"Why do you hate school?"

that's too easy. the real question is: WTF do we do about it??
01-05-2013 11:47 AM
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

Given 22 thank(s) in 14 post(s)
A Suggestion for All

School puts strict limits on my intellectual and physical freedom
It insists it knows how to manage my education better then I do
It is a one-size-fits-all program
Children like to learn, school denies this
School somehow manages to make learning as unpleasant and stressful as possible
School constantly evaluates its students, therefore increasing stress and pressure to meet standards
It works authority and conformity into education
It takes advantage of my personal time with mandatory homework assignments

Basically, it takes something I would do anyway and makes it horrible.

Also, what do you mean by "shitposting"?
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2013 11:59 AM by GreenLamp.)
01-05-2013 11:57 AM
AtheistLGBTQAnarchist Offline
Peace Loving Blood Lover

Given 47 thank(s) in 36 post(s)
A Suggestion for All

Well excuse me for trying to put music in the music section. If you want me to spam metal like a stereotype too bad because that's not the only music that exist. I know these forums are about school but it's hard to find anti-school music you know, but anti-society music is the best we can go with. Whether I posted the Sonic music for the hidden meanings or to cheer us on, stfu because I'm not going to only post what you like DoA!

This forums has tons of bull because we're no longer getting bull from pro-schoolers so we're making our own bull. Remember back when we looked like the most amazing young voices of our generation putting others who dared to come to these forums to insult us to dust? We WERE like that. Now we have to fight against ourselves until we can find something interesting that relates to school besides Connecticut.

Congratulations humanity,because you refuse to let go of the old and evolve you actually make people believe in 2012. Not only that, but you're the only species on Earth that were able to make it possible, now we get to sit until we die because we couldn't get to Mars. We have failed as a society and don't deserve our gifts to survive for this long. Maybe this is why dinosaurs are extinct, we sure aren't any better than the dirt you say we're created from. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...DvwSOFto#! Noo

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
-Albert Einstein

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."
-Benjamin Franklin
01-05-2013 02:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Luizao876 Offline
Everyone's favorite Huezillian

Given 22 thank(s) in 17 post(s)
RE: A Suggestion for All

No, it's just that you post about crap that nobody cares about instead of meaningful debates.
01-05-2013 02:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Ky
Peace Loving Blood Lover

A Suggestion for All

We aren't going to get good debates anytime soon until you act to the point where something is heard so we can debate on it. If you don't like my post then wtf do you read them?

"Everything and Nothing has a Meaning."-ME! You can go on all you want on how garbage my post are or you could actually ignore them and feel free to make your own so I can comment on how garbage THEY are and how much II don't care about them.

Congratulations humanity,because you refuse to let go of the old and evolve you actually make people believe in 2012. Not only that, but you're the only species on Earth that were able to make it possible, now we get to sit until we die because we couldn't get to Mars. We have failed as a society and don't deserve our gifts to survive for this long. Maybe this is why dinosaurs are extinct, we sure aren't any better than the dirt you say we're created from. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...DvwSOFto#! Noo

-Albert Einstein

-Benjamin Franklin
01-05-2013 03:07 PM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

Given 109 thank(s) in 93 post(s)

I hate school because of the things they expect every person in the world to know by the time they become a teenager.

I hate school because they think they know what we want out of life.

I hate school because of the very minor things they do. (e.g. put firefox on all the desktop computers, but use IE for laptops and punish anyone for using anything else because they don't know how to look at the history on a different browser that offers more privacy. [Also, I found out that IE has a privacy feature, but it's been disabled by my skool along with lots of other things] There is also the fact that they don't let anyone take a nap during a study hall "officially," but yet a student could get a pass from a teacher to go to the library and then just go in the back and take a nap there and none of the librarians bother to check on them because all they know is that he put his pass in the basket like he's supposed to.)

I hate school for loads of small reasons and about a handful of big reasons that people before me state and I don't feel the need to restate them.

With all that said, I will say that one of the 2 reasons I've been less active is because I'm done with my first semester of classes and will hopefully be able to get out of my only shit teacher's class and get someone better suited to my learning style. (the kind of person that will spend 2-3 days [based on homework scores] teaching about how to do something like find the square root of a negative number instead of adding, subtracting, dividing, and multiplying the negative square roots and then the next day throwing it on top of a number and expecting us to be able to figure that out along with the 50 other problems we have to do out of the book.) So basically I've just been less active because I don't have to deal with my fucking math teacher for 2 weeks, but come Monday, I have to go tell my counselor that I don't want to have to get an Afucking+ to pass his class just to get a C overall, I'd rather have one of the other teachers I've had and do good in their class.

The less you try to control things, the less you need to.

Boredom is the #1 enemy of learning. Therefore, school is the #1 enemy of learning.

"Bodies fucking fuck."~Night.Artist

[Image: 41433.png][Image: 14362714_1336391025.png]

Hidden stuff:
[Image: asschart.jpg]
Hidden stuff:

"free speech under the constitution only guarantees the government won't stop him saying it and does not guarantee his right to say things and have no consequences at all as a result. also i completely doubt that he is motivated solely by "i'm saying it because i can" and is probably motivated by a more shitheady motive like "i think it's funny to annoy people and Rustle Le Jimmies™ and is just hiding behind the first amendment to try to deflect any consequences or make you realize that being allowed to annoy people is a superior moral right. you can still disdain someone for doing things for dumbarse wankery purposes and you have evne more right to ban and insult them for it" ~Trar's friend about Potato.

Thanks for the diploma… can I have my childhood back?

I’d love to have a battle of wits with you… but I hate to fight the unarmed.
01-05-2013 03:36 PM
Ky Offline
Shadow

A Suggestion for All

Those of you who answered the question: good. You have recognized the problem that is plaguing you personally. Now that you see it, it might be easier to create a solution specifically for it.

Potato, by dodging the question, you're dodging the solution. It might seem "too easy" for you to hate school, but is there any reason in particular that makes you hate school the most? A straw that breaks the camel's back?

ASAP, the trick to winning debates is both knowing what to debate about and actually possessing debate skills. Being loud and making a ruckus to draw everyone's attention is a surefire way of looking like a fool, and it still doesn't give you an edge in debate. You can save your shitposting for Reddit, but this is School Survival.

I haven't even answered my own question. Why do I hate school? I hate it because it's run by one of the world's largest employers, the most corrupt system I'm aware of, and the largest accumulator of debt, the U.S. Federal Government. It took the nation's children, but they didn't belong to it. It filched from the people their right to so much as parent under the guise of a public service. Millions suffer because of the public schools it has created (and the numerous other kinds of schools that mimic them). It might be too late to save myself from graduation, but I might be able to save others.

(Also, homework gets in my way, I'd rather pursue my interests than be locked up for eight hours a day, and I hate going outside, even if it's just to wait for a bus.)

01-05-2013 05:03 PM
Potato Offline
Pariah

Given 64 thank(s) in 50 post(s)
A Suggestion for All

"Potato, by dodging the question, you're dodging the solution. It might seem "too easy" for you to hate school, but is there any reason in particular that makes you hate school the most? A straw that breaks the camel's back?"

i go to an online school so i don't have to deal with teachers bossing over everyone and the schedule is very flexible. the only problem i have with it is all the pointless work, like writing poetry and shit. but i can't describe how much of an improvement it was from the traditional classroom. you should really put the time into convincing your parents to at least let you go online.
01-05-2013 06:50 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
A Suggestion for All

Nothing wrong with shitposting, as long as it doesn't detract from more meaningful posting. It is possible to have both...

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
01-05-2013 10:53 PM
 Thanks given by: GreenLamp , DragoniteSky , GamerGurl , no
Peace Loving Blood Lover

A Suggestion for All

I hate school for reasons I can't explain. There are things bigger than school that allow it to run, and that's our government. I might post my bull about it later.

-Albert Einstein

-Benjamin Franklin
01-06-2013 02:29 AM
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Given 63 thank(s) in 46 post(s)

Me:
Hmm, haven't been on SS for a few days.
*sees thread*
Oh yeah that is why, shitposters.
*vanishes into the mist*

The purpose of life is a life with a purpose
So I’d rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless
I don’t need the circus or the day of national observance
I need you to think for you and stop being a servant
-Immortal Technique, The Martyr, The Martyr
01-06-2013 03:23 AM
Peace Loving Blood Lover

A Suggestion for All

Yeah, everyone on this website does, it's been horrible since the fall of 2012, and it's not going to change. I probably should of just left here permanently because it's clear that DoA is still posting bull over my words so you can all go get bashed by your parents while I'm going to go read some intelligent post on Reddit. (yes those exist)

-Albert Einstein

-Benjamin Franklin
01-06-2013 10:29 AM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)
A Suggestion for All

To be honest, I feel the best thing we can do to make school vanish is to first make ourselves "popular" "famous". In which way that may be is self decided, it could be some kind of anarchistic activity, website producing, etc. We need attention, we have good arguments and good reasons, but most people I know think school is necessary - maybe yours as well. Therefore I believe that we first have to gain money and attention. After that I feel like we have a lot of a better chance. A little pessimistic, but we are spread a ll across the world, and we are in minority I believe.

A very good scenario I can visualize would be if some of us, became really famous, and for instance some of you were asked for an interview. Let's say BBC and they ask you how you managed becoming this popular and how you were at school. And you say, "I hated it", then people will hopefully get some message that "great people do not have to succeed in school.

But that's only one very good scenario I could think of. Smile
01-06-2013 08:55 PM
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)
A Suggestion for All

Why do I hate school? Because school hates me. School wishes to change me into someone I am not, which I still see as destroying part of my personality. The aspects they want to change are the ones I like and the aspects they would leave as-is are the ones I dislike and would myself want to be rid of.

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
01-07-2013 02:50 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(01-06-2013 10:29 AM)AtheistLGBTQAnarchist Wrote:  Yeah, everyone on this website does, it's been horrible since the fall of 2012, and it's not going to change. I probably should of just left here permanently because it's clear that DoA is still posting bull over my words so you can all go get bashed by your parents while I'm going to go read some intelligent post on Reddit. (yes those exist)
[Image: 1336442235148.jpg&sa=X&e...Zxat_4MM0w]

01-07-2013 03:26 AM
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Given 63 thank(s) in 46 post(s)

(01-07-2013 03:26 AM)DoA Wrote:  
(01-06-2013 10:29 AM)AtheistLGBTQAnarchist Wrote:  Yeah, everyone on this website does, it's been horrible since the fall of 2012, and it's not going to change. I probably should of just left here permanently because it's clear that DoA is still posting bull over my words so you can all go get bashed by your parents while I'm going to go read some intelligent post on Reddit. (yes those exist)
[Image: 1336442235148.jpg&sa=X&e...Zxat_4MM0w]
Lel you werent even here before the second mass extinction of SS, yet you act so superior.

The purpose of life is a life with a purpose
So I’d rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless
I don’t need the circus or the day of national observance
I need you to think for you and stop being a servant
-Immortal Technique, The Martyr, The Martyr
01-07-2013 03:34 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(01-07-2013 03:34 AM)IamNoone Wrote:  Lel you werent even here before the second mass extinction of SS, yet you act so superior.
I am superior (at the very least, to THAT guy), but certainly not as a result of how long I've been here or how popular my ideals are (which, as I suspect, are not very).

Anyway, I'm starting to sense a common theme for all of the reasons we hate school.

01-07-2013 04:43 AM
SmokeyTheAggie Offline
Renegade

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

Good post Doa, while I think some shit posting is fine, we do need some actual productive post if we really want to change schools, which it seems you've done here. Good job.

[Image: utahstatewords.png]
01-08-2013 12:02 AM
timf Offline
Revolutionary

Given 152 thank(s) in 65 post(s)

Quote:I know these forums are about school but it's hard to find anti-school music you know,

There have been a few people who can see school for what it is;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_2lGkEU4Xs
01-08-2013 03:41 AM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)
A Suggestion for All

timf -> that song wasn't that bad Razz
01-08-2013 04:24 AM
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)

(01-08-2013 03:41 AM)timf Wrote:  
Quote:I know these forums are about school but it's hard to find anti-school music you know,

There have been a few people who can see school for what it is;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_2lGkEU4Xs

My dad plays this song and another one with an anti-school message quite regularly (or at least he used to, it's less often now). However he is still adamant that it's the best thing for me... Maybe he found out what they meant.

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
01-08-2013 06:37 AM
TreyLina Offline
Rebel

Given 26 thank(s) in 17 post(s)
A Suggestion for All

1. That it goes against my will, I don't get to select the time I'd like to do it.
2. That's I've wasted a lot of time doing things I really dislike and useless stuff, and sitting around in classrooms a lot doing nothing.
3. I never belonged to an environment with several people, or at least, not relying on one person to do all the helping.
4. Getting out of the bed
5. Qualification and grades nonsense, which I'll go through and discuss in more depth eventually.
6. That it feels like a burden to go through.
01-08-2013 11:44 AM