RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. Send me a message if you'd like to keep in touch with me & Steve.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People's preferred programming language?
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)
Question People's preferred programming language?

Recently I've been busy lurking around on the web trying to find my most suitable programming language. I stumbled upon PHP and began learning it, but after four days I started pondering, maybe other better alternatives do exist. I do know PHP is more widely used and considering money and job, I guess it's easier to find a job when talking about PHP.

However, I found information about Ruby and Ruby on Rails, and I am generally wondering, what programming are you using or really want to learn? Perl, Ruby, C, C++, PHP, etc.

Both related to web development and normal development <-- I really don't know what to call it. :(
12-10-2012 05:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)
RE: People's preferred programming language?

PHP is a pretty good starting language except it's not strict at all. It's really useful if you're doing anything with web-development. I've been using C++ a lot because that's what we're using in college. I would stay away from C/C++ unless you need to learn it for fast programs/non web based shit/ or whatever. It's not too hard to learn, though, and I guess if you're going into the field it's good to know... Or at least be familiar with.

Python is my shit though. Pretty easy to learn and useful as all fuck. Would recommend.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
12-10-2012 07:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

Yes, I've heard that Python is basically a language you should learn because it's easy and fun, and many top programmer don't learn it because it's gonna earn them a lot of money from the use or popularity for that matter, but it reaaal fun.
I've read and heard on various sites and YouTube.
I've also decided to give Ruby a try it seems like fun Biggrin
12-10-2012 02:21 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Also python is used in a lot of professional environments... It's not just "fun" or w/e, it's a pretty powerful language too, and can be used in web based shit too. And stuff. So don't shy away from it on that basis... Haven't heard much about ruby except some dude who kept saying "Fuck ruby". But he was a pen-tester so w/e.

Blog I post to now:

12-12-2012 08:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Given 67 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Eh, dunno about 'preferred', but mainly I program in C++ and assembly (most of what I do now is time-sensitive, the assembly is for PIC chips*).

I don't really program for fun anymore, but my first language was C++, my preferred language later was Python. If I just had to throw something together quick I'd probably use Java (I know) because I have experience with it from classes and I think simple file I/O and GUI stuff is easier than in C++.

*You can program PIC chips in C, but I don't think it's significantly easier because you still have to think about what you're doing on a more or less instruction-by-instruction basis.

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
12-12-2012 10:14 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1467 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

Java is my preference. It's the only one I know, but it works.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
12-12-2012 11:18 AM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

Ruby sounds like the language for me, I've started learning it and we'll see how it goes. PHP wasn't really for me, I didn't like it unfortunately.
12-12-2012 03:38 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Good luck and stuff

Blog I post to now:

12-13-2012 08:44 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1467 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

Just today I learned how to make 2d images in Java. It's actually really simple.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
12-13-2012 08:48 AM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

(12-13-2012 08:44 AM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  Good luck and stuff

Thanks!
DoA that great to hear! Smile
12-13-2012 07:23 PM
(´・ω・`) Offline
Pariah

Given 100 thank(s) in 72 post(s)

ML/Prolog/Lisp. Because I'm a theorist by practice, and nothing beats the elegance of a good program written in those languages.

Hidden stuff:

"Miku, give me back my brother dang it!" --Trilobite Boy, in one of his most signature moods ^_~

Quote:<sug> i dont think ive ever been an atheist
<sug> i worship the superplayer

Returned after years hiatus.
10-29-2013 06:28 PM
Ilija.m Offline
Revolutionary

Given 19 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

(12-10-2012 05:29 AM)LiptomaticMate Wrote:  Recently I've been busy lurking around on the web trying to find my most suitable programming language. I stumbled upon PHP and began learning it, but after four days I started pondering, maybe other better alternatives do exist. I do know PHP is more widely used and considering money and job, I guess it's easier to find a job when talking about PHP.

However, I found information about Ruby and Ruby on Rails, and I am generally wondering, what programming are you using or really want to learn? Perl, Ruby, C, C++, PHP, etc.

Both related to web development and normal development <-- I really don't know what to call it. :(
I have learned Visual basic and is very easy to learn i also try to learn C++ but hadn't had time
And i know HTML as well
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2014 06:52 AM by Ilija.m.)
02-20-2014 06:38 AM
Symbol Offline
Weirdo

Given 26 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

I can do HTML. I plan to learnPython sometime.
02-20-2014 06:49 AM
Justin417 Offline
Rebel

Given 7 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

I'm fluent in HTML and CSS, I really want to learn PHP this summer.
02-25-2014 08:39 AM