RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientology ads are popping up on YouTube.
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

Has someone else noticed Scientology ads on YouTube, that is morally and religiouslly unfair and incorrect. I have nothing against or for the religion for that matter ,because I basically don't have enough knowledge and information about it to make any statement at all.
But advertising religions is WRONG, and especially on YouTube where kids and all sorts of people are visiting.
12-08-2012 06:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

I have AdBlock.

Anyway, places of worship are businesses too. If they can advertise World of Warcrap: Missed my Pantsdaria, or attempt to sell you denture cream, then churches can attempt to recruit you. It's advertisement, plain as that. If you have a problem with it, make your own ad company and advertise atheism.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
12-08-2012 07:49 AM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

WTF? I am not atheist, that is the first fact within this reply, for the second why u so agressive. I don't think religion is an appropriate thing to post on YouTube, as advertisement.

"If I have a problem with that", WTF DoA like you want to start a fights, I haven't said/written a single word not even hinting to such a possible fact. I said that advertising religion on YouTUbe is not cool, /wrong.
12-08-2012 08:35 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

^ You didn't tell me you weren't atheistic. You just said that it was unfair to promote religion in any way whatsoever, that it is wrong to tell people that they should convert to your religion, that YouTube is a sacred, religion-free place. Yeah...you're way wrong.

Businesses (and, churches of Scientology are businesses) have every right to advertise. If you want to deny them their right to free speech and religious practice, it is because you have a problem with them exercising it.

I was not attacking you, by the way, but debating my point of view. You are very easily offended, it seems, and I hate that - offended people tend to attempt infringement upon my rights.

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2012 08:40 AM by Ky.)
12-08-2012 08:40 AM
klub Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

It's just an ad, it isn't hurting anybody. It isn't like they are forcing religion down people's throats, they are just promoting their beliefs.
12-08-2012 10:13 AM
Potato Offline
Pariah

Given 64 thank(s) in 50 post(s)

youtube can choose to allow free speech if they want because they're a private company. it's not their fault that people believe whatever they're told. and liptomaticmate why r u so irritable? you're all like "WTF?"
12-08-2012 03:37 PM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)
RE: Scientology ads are popping up on YouTube.

There have been Scientology ad's playing on my the college's TV channel on the TV's across school. I went to the SGA about it and they helped me write up a formal complaint to the Provost.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2012 05:03 PM by Thought Criminal.)
12-08-2012 05:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

I don't think religion is supposed to be advertised. That's basically it.
12-08-2012 09:21 PM
Luizao876 Offline
Everyone's favorite Huezillian

Given 22 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

I don't care if some church wants to advertise Christianity, as long it doesn't has anything prejudicial or it plays over and over again.
12-08-2012 11:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

What is a Huezillian?
12-09-2012 02:35 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(12-09-2012 02:35 AM)LiptomaticMate Wrote:  What is a Huezillian?
Best be joking, hue-er.

12-09-2012 04:40 AM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

Nope, I ain't.
12-09-2012 04:55 AM
Potato Offline
Pariah

"I don't think religion is supposed to be advertised. That's basically it."

i don't think religion should be practiced, but it's their right because it doesn't hurt anyone, so i deal with it
12-10-2012 06:54 AM
Night Offline
Queen Mod

Given 372 thank(s) in 211 post(s)

Fuck Scientology.

I'm a girl ffffeck
Hidden stuff:
12-10-2012 01:07 PM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

(12-10-2012 01:07 PM)night.artist Wrote:  Fuck Scientology.

That's too subjective, what it so wrong with Scientology. Or actually don't answer that, until they start doing things which hurt me, then I'll hate them.
12-10-2012 02:12 PM
Night Offline
Queen Mod

Lol
Here's a tiny documentary inside what Scientology is I suggest watching the whole thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD9bCdHqU3s

And here's a statement about scientology from somebody more articulate than me
"Scientology is a pseudo-science scam. They separate families, abuse and financially ruin their followers, practice fraudulent medicine, and stalk/harass people etc. L Ron Hubbard was a 3rd rate sci-fi writer. He was a habitual liar, and a con artist. He dropped out of college, and has no credentials in physics or psychology."

I'm a girl ffffeck
Hidden stuff:
12-10-2012 02:53 PM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

I've yet to see any.

Previously known as Derchin.
12-10-2012 03:40 PM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

night.artist I'll check it out now. Wink
12-10-2012 04:24 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

I don't mind religion ads. Anyone who's dumb enough to be influenced by ANY ad, regardless of what it's about, well, that's their own problem. Doesn't bother me. Also, adblock. Smile

I find the Facebook ads far more offensive, firstly because they're harder to block, and second because they keep showing me baby shit. I hate looking at babies. Yuck

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
12-13-2012 06:46 AM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

(12-13-2012 06:46 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  I find the Facebook ads far more offensive, firstly because they're harder to block, and second because they keep showing me baby shit. I hate looking at babies. Yuck

Don't you think babies are cute?
Maybe I should get adblock as well, but again I don't know because they make me feel updated in the world. Again I've heard adblock doesn't work everywhere, i.e. facebook and it will maybe only strain my system.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2012 07:23 AM by LiptomaticMate.)
12-13-2012 07:21 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Baby animals are cute... baby humans are not. Apparently this is abnormal. Shrug

Adblock does the opposite of strain your system... loading all those ads strains it more, so blocking them actually makes it load less. And yeah, it doesn't work for Facebook. But you can get a Greasemonkey script to take care of those.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
12-13-2012 07:27 AM
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

Given 22 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

^ lol, I never thought babies were very cute, either
12-13-2012 07:41 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

SOLUTION: AdBlock. Especially AdBlock Plus, although I don't have that.

12-13-2012 08:46 AM
Night Offline
Queen Mod

I don't get ads on Facebook.. I don't youtube commercials. I don't get ads at all.

I'm a girl ffffeck
Hidden stuff:
12-13-2012 10:07 AM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

Maybe I'll test that GreaseMonkey thing out.
When babies are covered in blood and other kinds of liquids after birth I understand, but when they reach like 1 year, then they are cute, not all of them of course, but almost all of them. If they again aren't extremely wrinkly and pink, but I guess love towards ones baby doesn't come from its looks.
Not thinking that babies are cute isn't no abnormal thing because it really is a personal thing, the same way some people think monkeys are cute while others don't. The only reason why it could seem abnormal is because it has basically become some sort of trend to tell every baby "oooooo sooooo cute". As long as someone doesn't want to kill them because they think they're ugly or something - THEN THEY HAVE TO BE STOPPED!!!
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2012 07:20 PM by LiptomaticMate.)
12-13-2012 07:20 PM
Potato Offline
Pariah

babies are ugly, loud, stupid, and annoying. i have the impression that most ppl on the internet agree.
12-14-2012 03:04 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

I avoid babies whenever possible. I prefer to converse with someone who is at least partially developed.

12-14-2012 08:12 AM
ThorodonSorrow Offline
Just another face in the crowd.

Given 14 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

(12-08-2012 06:34 AM)LiptomaticMate Wrote:  Has someone else noticed Scientology ads on YouTube, that is morally and religiouslly unfair and incorrect. I have nothing against or for the religion for that matter ,because I basically don't have enough knowledge and information about it to make any statement at all.
But advertising religions is WRONG, and especially on YouTube where kids and all sorts of people are visiting.

Advertising religions or anti-religions is not wrong at all. There's a very good reason that we have the Freedom of Speech. They are simply trying to persuade people to believe what they believe.
They're probably like Mormons. "Believe what we do or you're going to hell" or something of that matter. However Science is the opposite of religion, so I can assume that they're the opposite of the above statement.
12-14-2012 08:16 AM
ThorodonSorrow Offline
Just another face in the crowd.

Given 14 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

I just did a bit of research, because you said that you didn't have much information on Scientology, so here you go. I went to a few sites but of course, Wikipedia had the most information.
Here's the link:

Here's the main description (I would go to Wikipedia and read on. It was quite interesting):
Scientology is a body of beliefs and related practices created by L. Ron Hubbard (1911–1986), starting in 1952, as a successor to his earlier self-help system, Dianetics. Hubbard characterized Scientology as a religion, and in 1953 incorporated the Church of Scientology in Camden, New Jersey.

Scientology teaches that people are immortal beings who have forgotten their true nature. Its method of spiritual rehabilitation is a type of counselling known as auditing, in which practitioners aim to consciously re-experience painful or traumatic events in their past in order to free themselves of their limiting effects. Study materials and auditing courses are made available to members in return for specified donations. Scientology is legally recognized as a tax-exempt religion in the United States, Italy, South Africa, Australia, Sweden,New Zealand, Portugal and Spain;
the Church of Scientology emphasizes this as proof that it is a bona fide religion. In other countries, notably Canada, France, Germany, and the United Kingdom, Scientology does not have comparable religious status.

A large number of organizations overseeing the application of Scientology have been established, the most notable of these being the Church of Scientology. Scientology sponsors a variety of social-service programs These include the Narconon anti-drug program, the Criminon prison rehabilitation program, the Study Tech education methodology, the Volunteer Ministers, the World Institute of Scientology Enterprises, and a set of moral guidelines expressed in a booklet called The Way to Happiness.

The Church of Scientology is one of the most controversial new religious movements to have arisen in the 20th century. It has often been described as a cult that financially defrauds and abuses its members, charging exorbitant fees for its spiritual services.In response, Scientologists have argued that theirs is a genuine religious movement that has been misrepresented, maligned and persecuted. The Church of Scientology has consistently used litigation against its critics, and its aggressiveness in pursuing its foes has been condemned as harassment. Further controversy has focused on Scientology's belief that souls ("thetans") reincarnate and have lived on other planets before living on Earth, and that some of the related teachings are not revealed to practitioners until they have paid thousands of dollars to the Church of Scientology. Another controversial belief held by Scientologists is that the practice of psychiatry is destructive and abusive and must be abolished.
12-14-2012 08:21 AM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

Science + Religion = ScieneReligion Scientology. Controversities. Weird.
12-14-2012 02:50 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Scientology anonomous 68 13,176 09-14-2012 07:14 AM
Last Post: guts12
  Scientology: Is it a load of crap? Sociopath 41 8,438 09-12-2009 04:38 AM
Last Post: the_ryan