RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction of myself.
klub Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Introduction of myself.

Hello good people of the interwebs. I've been lurking here a couple of days, so I decided to join in on the fun.

Quick introduction:

I used to be a straight A student, maybe a couple of B's here and there, but I was always on the High honor role, and I felt pretty good about myself. Somewhere along the line, I had a realization that 99% of the stuff I am being taught has nothing to do with what I want to do in my life. I was changing my life for the worse to conform around letters on a piece of paper. After this realization, and to my parent's disapproval, I stopped caring about my classes. I started researching what I wanted to learn about, bringing books about interesting things to classes that I would otherwise get nothing out of. As of now, I'm just trying to finish highschool with the least amount of stress as possible.

I wish to do something to reform our school system within my lifetime. I believe that schooling is a good thing to have, as it creates a common base knowledge that everybody can draw from, but the way it is done today is terrible.
12-04-2012 02:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Introduction of myself.

Hi there! Have you heard of unschooling and democratic schools? I think if schools were set up like that it'd be muuuuch better.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
12-04-2012 03:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

Given 109 thank(s) in 93 post(s)
RE: Introduction of myself.

What is your favorite movie?

Who is your favorite actor?

How old are you?

The less you try to control things, the less you need to.

Boredom is the #1 enemy of learning. Therefore, school is the #1 enemy of learning.

"Bodies fucking fuck."~Night.Artist

[Image: 41433.png][Image: 14362714_1336391025.png]

Hidden stuff:
[Image: asschart.jpg]
Hidden stuff:

"free speech under the constitution only guarantees the government won't stop him saying it and does not guarantee his right to say things and have no consequences at all as a result. also i completely doubt that he is motivated solely by "i'm saying it because i can" and is probably motivated by a more shitheady motive like "i think it's funny to annoy people and Rustle Le Jimmies™ and is just hiding behind the first amendment to try to deflect any consequences or make you realize that being allowed to annoy people is a superior moral right. you can still disdain someone for doing things for dumbarse wankery purposes and you have evne more right to ban and insult them for it" ~Trar's friend about Potato.

Thanks for the diploma… can I have my childhood back?

I’d love to have a battle of wits with you… but I hate to fight the unarmed.
12-04-2012 03:52 AM
klub Offline
Defiant

Introduction of myself.

Unschooling and democratic schools sound awesome. If I could, I would do it.

Favorite movie is lord of the rings
I don't really have a favorite actor, it all depends on what role they are playing and if it fits them. But morgan freeman has a soothing voice.
I am 16, junior in highschool.
12-04-2012 06:04 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)
Introduction of myself.

Which Lord of the Rings?

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
12-04-2012 07:19 AM
klub Offline
Defiant

Introduction of myself.

I really like the two towers out of the three.
12-04-2012 08:49 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Introduction of myself.

That's a pretty good one.

12-04-2012 09:09 AM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

death to lotr...Star Wars, Tron, and Hercules were all better in my opinion. Now if only we could get them all mashed together and the nput lotr against the main characters and see how it unfolds...SOMEBODY CALL DEADLIEST WARRIOR!

Boredom is the #1 enemy of learning. Therefore, school is the #1 enemy of learning.

Hidden stuff:
Hidden stuff:

"free speech under the constitution only guarantees the government won't stop him saying it and does not guarantee his right to say things and have no consequences at all as a result. also i completely doubt that he is motivated solely by "i'm saying it because i can" and is probably motivated by a more shitheady motive like "i think it's funny to annoy people and Rustle Le Jimmies™ and is just hiding behind the first amendment to try to deflect any consequences or make you realize that being allowed to annoy people is a superior moral right. you can still disdain someone for doing things for dumbarse wankery purposes and you have evne more right to ban and insult them for it" ~Trar's friend about Potato.

12-04-2012 02:06 PM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(12-04-2012 02:06 PM)Heil_Kaiba8921 Wrote:  death to lotr...Star Wars, Tron, and Hercules were all better in my opinion. Now if only we could get them all mashed together and the nput lotr against the main characters and see how it unfolds...SOMEBODY CALL DEADLIEST WARRIOR!
Gandalf's gonna be pissed.

12-05-2012 08:30 AM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

(12-05-2012 08:30 AM)DoA Wrote:  
(12-04-2012 02:06 PM)Heil_Kaiba8921 Wrote:  death to lotr...Star Wars, Tron, and Hercules were all better in my opinion. Now if only we could get them all mashed together and the nput lotr against the main characters and see how it unfolds...SOMEBODY CALL DEADLIEST WARRIOR!

Let him, thanks to Hercules' lore, I can escape Hell, or rather Hades, and come back to the surface world pretty much whenever I want.

Hidden stuff:
Hidden stuff:

12-05-2012 08:33 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(12-05-2012 08:33 AM)Heil_Kaiba8921 Wrote:  

Let him, thanks to Hercules' lore, I can escape Hell, or rather Hades, and come back to the surface world pretty much whenever I want.
...Star Wars is not on your side. Gandalf and Obi-Wan are chill, and Darth Vader keeps going for the ring for some reason.

12-05-2012 08:45 AM
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

Given 22 thank(s) in 14 post(s)
Introduction of myself.

MY PRECIOUSSS

It likes riddles, praps it does, does it?
12-05-2012 09:26 AM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

(12-05-2012 08:45 AM)DoA Wrote:  

...Star Wars is not on your side. Gandalf and Obi-Wan are chill, and Darth Vader keeps going for the ring for some reason.

meh, all i really need from star wars anyways is Anakin and the force... and i don't really consider Anakin and Vader to be the same person either because if you ever play star wars battlefront 2 then you will be able to play a game of heroes vs villains and anakin and vader are on the list...plus vader is pretty chill and crappy while anakin just wants moar power

Hidden stuff:
Hidden stuff:

12-05-2012 10:14 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(12-05-2012 10:14 AM)Heil_Kaiba8921 Wrote:  

meh, all i really need from star wars anyways is Anakin and the force... and i don't really consider Anakin and Vader to be the same person either because if you ever play star wars battlefront 2 then you will be able to play a game of heroes vs villains and anakin and vader are on the list...plus vader is pretty chill and crappy while anakin just wants moar power
Anakin (while he is turned to the dark side) IS Vader...but he doesn't have his suit until he's burned alive. If you're talking about his less dark, Jedi alter ego...the chosen one sure is whiny.

Vader (from the original trilogy) is a badass, though. Choking bureaucrats? Like a Sith. Blowing up planets? Like a Sith. Torturing princesses? Like a Sith. Killing his master? Like a Sith.

You get the idea.

12-05-2012 10:30 AM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

(12-05-2012 10:30 AM)DoA Wrote:  
(12-05-2012 10:14 AM)Heil_Kaiba8921 Wrote:  
(12-05-2012 08:30 AM)DoA Wrote:  Gandalf's gonna be pissed.

Anakin (while he is turned to the dark side) IS Vader...but he doesn't have his suit until he's burned alive. If you're talking about his less dark, Jedi alter ego...the chosen one sure is whiny.

Vader (from the original trilogy) is a badass, though. Choking bureaucrats? Like a Sith. Blowing up planets? Like a Sith. Torturing princesses? Like a Sith. Killing his master? Like a Sith.

You get the idea.

yes, I know, Anakin is Vader. But they are two completely different personalities and according to the game, two different people. I could care less about him being a little bitch about not getting to go somewhere, it's when he pulled out his lightsaber that things got interesting.

Vader was just a lap dog until one day his master teased him one too many times and he decided to kill him.

Hidden stuff:
Hidden stuff:

12-05-2012 10:38 PM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(12-05-2012 10:38 PM)Heil_Kaiba8921 Wrote:  yes, I know, Anakin is Vader. But they are two completely different personalities and according to the game, two different people. I could care less about him being a little bitch about not getting to go somewhere, it's when he pulled out his lightsaber that things got interesting.

Vader was just a lap dog until one day his master teased him one too many times and he decided to kill him.
Canonically speaking, Anakin is Darth Vader as soon as he turns to the dark side, so that's about an hour of Episode III that he's cool-suit-less. He sucks up to the Emperor/Sidious/Palpatine/whoever that guy is because it's convenient for him (considering he attempts to convince his wife, his son, and, in the Force Unleashed, his own experiment, to kick his new Sith master out and rule with him).

The pathetic way he handled killing the Emperor was due to compassion for his son and a realization that he was supposed to be the chosen one. Redeemed, it was Anakin Skywalker that handled tossing the former Palpatine/Sidious/whoever down a giant space well and giving Luke a lame goodbye, not Vader.

Also see: http://www.badassoftheweek.com/vader.html

...But, I digress. This is about this guy's introduction thread, so as for any more Star Wars references:

YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!

12-05-2012 11:50 PM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)
Introduction of myself.

Welcome
12-06-2012 03:53 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  introduction WiseOne 9 3,842 06-12-2017 06:41 PM