RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yo.
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)
Yo.

I've been lurking here for... well, longer than I'd like to admit, and I finally got the guts to sign up. I absolutely despise school and the society that perpetuates it (doesn't everyone?) and just need an anger release valve to maintain my sanity. My parents are brainwashed, my friends are overly complacent, and the rest of my family and community are a combination of both. Since my youth I have done extremely well in school, when I was one of "them," but ever since middle school my enthusiasm has been waning. Last year I gave up any pretense of respecting the schools to myself--but I'm still expected by all my relatives to "do well" and be a good little slave to the system, so it's been--yes, just about a year now that I've had to live a double life, if you can call it that, hiding my deepest convictions from everyone around me and pretending to follow their insufferable, inhuman standards and morals and I just. can't. take. it. any. more. Brickwall

TL;DR, I'm a standard generic school hating person. Carry on. Nothing to see here.

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
11-24-2012 01:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SomeRandomHuman Offline
Pariah

Given 83 thank(s) in 67 post(s)
RE: Yo.

Ugh, it seems wholr communities are brainwashed these days. Try not to get brainwashed too
11-24-2012 01:33 PM
AtheistLGBTQAnarchist Offline
Peace Loving Blood Lover

Given 47 thank(s) in 36 post(s)
Yo.

Actually, America is changing faster than the people think or even know it is. We're getting more and more minorities of the American society everyday to rise up and people aren't even noticing because one, the media only cares about the next Twilight and two because no one wants to care because they don't know it'f happening at amazing speeds never seen before.

Congratulations humanity,because you refuse to let go of the old and evolve you actually make people believe in 2012. Not only that, but you're the only species on Earth that were able to make it possible, now we get to sit until we die because we couldn't get to Mars. We have failed as a society and don't deserve our gifts to survive for this long. Maybe this is why dinosaurs are extinct, we sure aren't any better than the dirt you say we're created from. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...DvwSOFto#! Noo

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
-Albert Einstein

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."
-Benjamin Franklin
11-24-2012 01:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)
Yo.

Congrats on finally creating your account. I'm actually a bit surprised to see you on here (though, I shouldn't be, considering there is an obvious link to these forums on my blog).

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
11-24-2012 03:32 PM
no Offline
True Scotsman

(11-24-2012 01:33 PM)SomeRandomHuman Wrote:  Ugh, it seems wholr communities are brainwashed these days. Try not to get brainwashed too

What's sad is that I had been for half of my life. I'm trying to recover but at the same time I don't want to make enemies out of my family.

(11-24-2012 01:40 PM)AmericanAtheistAnarchist Wrote:  Actually, America is changing faster than the people think or even know it is. We're getting more and more minorities of the American society everyday to rise up and people aren't even noticing because one, the media only cares about the next Twilight and two because no one wants to care because they don't know it'f happening at amazing speeds never seen before.

Maybe so, but I haven't seen any effects of these uprisings, all I can tell is that the country is falling further from its ideals. I purposely don't watch or read the news for this very reason, all that it talks about are pop culture as you said, crimes that 75% of the time shouldn't be crimes, or legal government activity that 75% of the time should be crimes.

(11-24-2012 03:32 PM)DoA Wrote:  Congrats on finally creating your account. I'm actually a bit surprised to see you on here (though, I shouldn't be, considering there is an obvious link to these forums on my blog).

What's there to be surprised about? I make a direct reference to SS in a post from April, and a lot of the school-oriented stuff on my blog is clearly influenced by this site.

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
11-25-2012 12:45 AM
AtheistLGBTQAnarchist Offline
Peace Loving Blood Lover

Given 47 thank(s) in 36 post(s)
Yo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSlGQpvl_IA

Congratulations humanity,because you refuse to let go of the old and evolve you actually make people believe in 2012. Not only that, but you're the only species on Earth that were able to make it possible, now we get to sit until we die because we couldn't get to Mars. We have failed as a society and don't deserve our gifts to survive for this long. Maybe this is why dinosaurs are extinct, we sure aren't any better than the dirt you say we're created from. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...DvwSOFto#! Noo

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
-Albert Einstein

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."
-Benjamin Franklin
11-25-2012 01:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

You have a blog? Link please Smile

Also, hi and welcome. Smile

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
11-25-2012 09:12 AM
no Offline
True Scotsman

(11-25-2012 09:12 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  You have a blog? Link please Smile

Also, hi and welcome. Smile

If you insist

I also write... occasionally... for Duke's blog.

Hello, traveler.

11-25-2012 09:40 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser