RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

This is cause schools want you to learn the way they want to make you learn. Even into college, the notion of trying to do anything yourself requires applications and reviews and discussions of your plans, and there'll always be strings attached. The idea of somebody educating themselves outside the established guidelines messes with their power-tripping asses.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
06-11-2017 01:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

Given 434 thank(s) in 261 post(s)
RE: Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast

power trips involve power. teachers want this power. people knowing the effect of this power will employ teachers to use it.

teachers are frequently well-meaning but misguided. they are given power they should withhold, but instead they try to control the kids with thier power.

Purity is to Believe only that which deserves it.
Wisdom is to follow only the Opinion which makes the best use of evidence.
Excellence is to be mindful of all these things in Living.
Follow me on Twitter!
06-11-2017 06:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sswbm Offline
Revolutionary

Given 192 thank(s) in 120 post(s)

Why is this not in Best of School Survival?

It seems like only the bad threads are in there.
06-11-2017 07:02 PM
 Thanks given by: The man
Gwedin Offline
dumb shithead

Given 559 thank(s) in 410 post(s)

the best of school survival should just be my blog and nothing else
06-11-2017 07:31 PM
sswbm Offline
Revolutionary

Given 192 thank(s) in 120 post(s)

(06-10-2017 05:54 AM)Gwedin Wrote:  if it's a conspiracy it's a bizarre one considering most of my teachers in hs were huge advocates of using khan academy as a supplement...

Yeah, plus the fact that Bill Gates, who is a champion when it comes to conspiracy, donated to it.
It's obviously just a few rogue teachers saying this so it's not that representative for the "conspiracy" as a whole. It is however representative for the attitude surrounding school. And the "conspiracy" that makes it.
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2017 08:07 AM by sswbm.)
06-11-2017 08:43 PM
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

Given 434 thank(s) in 261 post(s)

people are just dumber than they think. they use their influence for the ends they think are good but every aspect if their plans is frequently thought out poorly.

Purity is to Believe only that which deserves it.
Wisdom is to follow only the Opinion which makes the best use of evidence.
Excellence is to be mindful of all these things in Living.
Follow me on Twitter!
06-12-2017 02:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sunflower Offline
Rebel

Given 19 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

(07-27-2011 02:23 PM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Heard of Khan Academy? Some teachers say it helps students learn too fast, and they want to hold them back more. Seriously. I'm not making this up. Read this:

Quote:Even if Khan is truly liberating students to advance at their own pace, it’s not clear that the schools will be able to cope. The very concept of grade levels implies groups of students moving along together at an even pace. So what happens when, using Khan Academy, you wind up with a kid in fifth grade who has mastered high school trigonometry and physics—but is still functioning like a regular 10-year-old when it comes to writing, history, and social studies? Khan’s programmer, Ben Kamens, has heard from teachers who’ve seen Khan Academy presentations and loved the idea but wondered whether they could modify it “to stop students from becoming this advanced.”

More here: http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/07/ff_khan/all/1

Noo
What the heck! Teachers are retarded!
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2017 09:24 AM by Sunflower.)
06-21-2017 09:24 AM
 Thanks given by: the Analogist , The man

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  “If a child can't learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn.” Miller0700 18 7,286 03-20-2016 09:20 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  Mark Barnes: 7 Reasons teachers should stop grading their students forever xcriteria 3 3,431 01-22-2015 11:06 AM
Last Post: craxyguy562
  teachers-dont-like-creative-students stevehein 7 3,172 06-23-2014 10:53 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Middle School Teachers v.s. Highschool Teachers Falsalm 6 5,723 01-01-2014 04:15 PM
Last Post: Falsalm
  My school's going down the toilet fast.... James Comey 13 7,974 11-04-2013 04:38 PM
Last Post: xcriteria
  Caring - What Helps You Feel Cared About? stevehein 6 4,269 06-05-2013 05:15 AM
Last Post: xcriteria
  CAFETY Our Voices: Diamond Ranch Academy RammsteinFearFactory 2 1,816 05-10-2012 07:53 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  When Teachers Interrupt Students NeuroSmog 6 6,215 12-14-2011 07:26 AM
Last Post: NeuroSmog
  Students Vs Teachers Stealth 17 5,153 03-09-2008 03:27 PM
Last Post: Stealth
  teaching too fast!!!!!!!!!! Tasty Waffles 2 2,312 02-22-2008 06:43 PM
Last Post: Tasty Waffles