RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey there
PAdude Offline
Rebel

Given 5 thank(s) in 3 post(s)
Hey there

Hey everyone, I'm a 21-year-old currently in my junior year of college. I'm sorry if the rest of this post is long-winded, but I feel like I should introduce myself:

In elementary school, I was generally lauded for being incredibly smart and always got really high standardized test scores. However, high school and on have made me feel entirely miserable. In high school, I went to a prep school in my area; I got to go for free because my mom was a 2nd grade teacher for their elementary school affiliate at the time.

Going to prep school was absolutely awful. I'm not going to generalize my high school to all prep schools, because I don't really know anything about others, but it honestly makes me really wish that I went to public school. In my opinion, all my high school did was exacerbate most of the problems that already exist in elementary school. There was an unreasonable amount of pointless busy work and an even greater attempt to indoctrinate students into a belief system. Additionally, students who did poorly were generally labeled, talked down to, and looked down upon. I recently read a quote that said something along the lines of "failing students are reminded that they are failing 5 days a week, 5 times a day" and I (and I'm guessing many of you) agree with that from experience. I got about a 2.0 in high school because I mentally and emotionally withdrew from the system. By no means do I think that public school would have a been a good place, but at least there, I have had less work to do, and I would have been with my friends who I knew from my neighborhood and my boy scout troop.

Currently, I go to a local college to which I commute. I won't get into details about my college experience yet, but I strongly wish that I did not go. With only 3 semesters remaining after this one, I will likely just suck it up and finish, but I feel that it was an incredibly poor choice to attend. There are many reasons why I feel that the supposed benefits (intrinsic and extrinsic) of going to college are a bunch of bullshit, but I'll get to that in other posts/threads. There are a few exceptions of course, if you want to be a teacher, a doctor, or some other profession that very specifically requires a degree, then you should probably go (though I think that the intrinsic value is still very limited), but without a plan, I think that going to college is a huge mistake.

Anyway, I'd love to get to meet people here. Hopefully I can both vent about frustrations and help others with their problems. To give a few more details about myself:

-I'm an Eagle Scout (though I find the experiences way more important than the rank itself) and I really love the outdoors
-I play competitive wiffle ball
- I'm a big fan of NFL football
-I'm a registered high school football official
-I'm working on inventing a trading card game that I hope to market some day
-I'm a fan of card games and board games (especially Scrabble and Monopoly)
-I love broadening my horizons and learning about as many different things as possible (though of my own choosing of course)
-I can be very opinionated on things, but ultimately don't wish to offend anyone and if you have a differing opinion, I can respect that even if what I say is occasionally worded in a forceful manner. Just tell me if you ever think that I'm directly disrespectful. I think I'm a pretty nice guy, so feel free to talk to me.
11-04-2012 07:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Hey there

Hey there, you seem interesting. Yeah, college just for the sake of college is kinda silly.

Do you like pie?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
11-04-2012 07:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PAdude Offline
Rebel

Hey there

Yeah, I feel like such an idiot for going. I'm not doing so terribly (I have about a 3.3), but I hate it to death and don't feel that it is benefiting me.

I do like pie.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2012 08:06 AM by PAdude.)
11-04-2012 08:05 AM
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Given 63 thank(s) in 46 post(s)
RE: Hey there

Don't be afraid to offend people, especially on here.
If you get offended easily you really don't belong here. Most people here won't care what you say as long as you have facts to back it up.

The purpose of life is a life with a purpose
So I’d rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless
I don’t need the circus or the day of national observance
I need you to think for you and stop being a servant
-Immortal Technique, The Martyr, The Martyr
11-04-2012 03:47 PM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

Given 109 thank(s) in 93 post(s)

What is your favorite movie?

Who is your favorite actor?

The less you try to control things, the less you need to.

Boredom is the #1 enemy of learning. Therefore, school is the #1 enemy of learning.

"Bodies fucking fuck."~Night.Artist

[Image: 41433.png][Image: 14362714_1336391025.png]

Hidden stuff:
[Image: asschart.jpg]
Hidden stuff:

"free speech under the constitution only guarantees the government won't stop him saying it and does not guarantee his right to say things and have no consequences at all as a result. also i completely doubt that he is motivated solely by "i'm saying it because i can" and is probably motivated by a more shitheady motive like "i think it's funny to annoy people and Rustle Le Jimmies™ and is just hiding behind the first amendment to try to deflect any consequences or make you realize that being allowed to annoy people is a superior moral right. you can still disdain someone for doing things for dumbarse wankery purposes and you have evne more right to ban and insult them for it" ~Trar's friend about Potato.

Thanks for the diploma… can I have my childhood back?

I’d love to have a battle of wits with you… but I hate to fight the unarmed.
11-04-2012 11:31 PM
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

Given 22 thank(s) in 14 post(s)
Hey there

If you could choose between a flying fire-breathing whale or a magic dog that poops golden potato chips, which one would it be? They are yours for as long as you live, immortal until you perish.
11-05-2012 04:33 AM
PAdude Offline
Rebel

Hey there

Donnie Darko.

I don't really watch T.V. or movies that much to be honest, so I don't really know. I think Michael T. Weiss is awesome in the show "The Pretender" though.

Flying fire-breathing whale.
11-06-2012 01:53 AM
SomeRandomHuman Offline
Pariah

Given 83 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

(11-04-2012 03:47 PM)IamNoone Wrote:  Don't be afraid to offend people, especially on here.
If you get offended easily you really don't belong here. Most people here won't care what you say as long as you have facts to back it up.
That sums it up pretty damn well.
11-10-2012 12:00 PM