RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
not much we can do about it
skylight Offline
Defiant

Given 3 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Don't you remember when you were young?
When the world seemed so bright.
The stars shined ever so bright every night.
You were happy to just play all day,
Never knew you were wasting your life away.
You were a child,
and to you the future was so bright.
You couldn't wait to grow up and make a difference,
to show the world who you were.

But then you grew up.

You had to go to school.
Your wild spirit was labeled as a mental defect.
You were told to shut up and sit down.
They didn't care what you stood for,
because you were a child,
and children don't know what they're talking about, right?

Through the years you were told you were wrong so many times,
you believed it yourself.
You believed that you were stupid,
that you needed to work harder and pay better attention.
But that didn't work did it?
So you were still labeled.

years passed and the labels grew,
trouble maker,
ADD,
disruptive,
out casted,
fag,
slut,
loser,
wasted,
unappreciative,
loner,
bipolar,
ADHD,
druggie,
stoner,
emo,
weird,
stupid,
annoying,
and worst of all,
freak.

You were labeled for being who you were.
Your wild spirit was crushed to the point where you just shut down.
You didn't care anymore.
Everyday was the same;
you got to school,
did your work and went home.
By this time you were a drone.

You could have shined!
You could have shown the world who you really were,
but instead you didn't,
instead you were told that you must be wrong.
You're not like the others,
so you can't be right.
Your wild spirit was crushed;
you became a shell of yourself.

Don't you remember when you were a child,
and you could run free,
you could actually dream!
But then you went to school,
and those dreams were crushed.

You could have been something amazing.
But you weren't.
Because when it all boils down to it,
according to our education system;
were all just numbers labeled with our mental problems.
The saddest thing about it
is that there's not much we can do about it.
10-18-2012 10:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser , GreenLamp , Subb
marktheshark Offline
I BIFFED IT

Given 3 thank(s) in 2 post(s)
RE: not much we can do about it

Damn. What a really great poem!

[Image: sig.gif]

[Image: boss_dustdragon.png]
10-19-2012 12:55 AM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

Given 109 thank(s) in 93 post(s)

i haven't been a:

wasted
emo
slut
or bipolar yet

and i already considered myself a:

loner
out cast
and trouble maker

before...but great poem, i just felt like adding something onto this post to make it more meaningful

The less you try to control things, the less you need to.

Boredom is the #1 enemy of learning. Therefore, school is the #1 enemy of learning.

"Bodies fucking fuck."~Night.Artist

[Image: 41433.png][Image: 14362714_1336391025.png]

Hidden stuff:
[Image: asschart.jpg]
Hidden stuff:

"free speech under the constitution only guarantees the government won't stop him saying it and does not guarantee his right to say things and have no consequences at all as a result. also i completely doubt that he is motivated solely by "i'm saying it because i can" and is probably motivated by a more shitheady motive like "i think it's funny to annoy people and Rustle Le Jimmies™ and is just hiding behind the first amendment to try to deflect any consequences or make you realize that being allowed to annoy people is a superior moral right. you can still disdain someone for doing things for dumbarse wankery purposes and you have evne more right to ban and insult them for it" ~Trar's friend about Potato.

Thanks for the diploma… can I have my childhood back?

I’d love to have a battle of wits with you… but I hate to fight the unarmed.
10-19-2012 01:18 AM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

This was really motivating and inspiring. I guess I'll stop the change. I guess I'll fuck the teacher, and shit the pupils. Smile Thanks for a great poem and reminder of how stupid things sometimes are Smile
10-19-2012 01:23 AM
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

Given 22 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

The sad part is that it's true. It almost made me cry Cry

Banana AMUSING BANANA make me happy, please.
10-20-2012 11:00 AM
Hoaviet Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Seemed kinda like it was based on real life, but hey I'm not judging.
11-20-2012 03:57 PM
AtheistLGBTQAnarchist Offline
Peace Loving Blood Lover

Given 47 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

I might post this on Twitter.

Congratulations humanity,because you refuse to let go of the old and evolve you actually make people believe in 2012. Not only that, but you're the only species on Earth that were able to make it possible, now we get to sit until we die because we couldn't get to Mars. We have failed as a society and don't deserve our gifts to survive for this long. Maybe this is why dinosaurs are extinct, we sure aren't any better than the dirt you say we're created from. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...DvwSOFto#! Noo

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
-Albert Einstein

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."
-Benjamin Franklin
11-21-2012 08:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)

But we can do something about it. It may be too late for us but is it too late for our children? It's the story of the old man who planted an acorn.

Once upon a time, an elderly man, name of Harry, planted an acorn. Rain or shine, snow or sleet, light or dark, the old man always checked on his acorn, he'd water it if needed or shoo birds or other threats away. The old man was always there.

The village got curious and started asking the old man what he was doing. Each day, he'd tell them that he was planting an oak tree. They'd protest that oak trees take at least a hundred years to grow. The old man would just smile and nod and tell them he knew and go back to diligently attending his acorn. They'd protest that he'd never live to see its shade and he'd just smile and tell them he knew that and continue caring for that little acorn. They'd be rather confused because whatever the village said about his acorn didn't matter, they could scold him for his foolishness but whatever they said, the old man knew but didn't seem to care because he just kept right on caring for that acorn.

Well, eventually, that old man passed on and went to heaven. Well, the village thinks that the old acorn will be forgotten. Nope, his son carries on attending it. The village protest again but it doesn't matter, the old man's son doesn't care and just follows his father's example. He protects this acorn. Well, eventually the old man's son grows old and passes on too. Maybe now the planted acorn will be forgotten.

Nope, the old man's grandson takes up the care of the acorn the old man planted. So the old man's grandson tends this growing acorn his grandfather planted. Again, whatever the village says, whatever the village does, the old man's grandson refuses to neglect that acorn. Well, eventually the old man's grandson too grows old and dies. "Finally", thinks the village, "we can forget about that stupid old acorn." and starts laughing at Old Fool Harry.

This hope is short lived however because the old man's great-grandson carries on the family legacy. Again, whatever is said about the growing acorn doesn't matter - the village could stage a protest all day - the old man's great-grandson won't leave that acorn to die. The kids try and destroy this growing acorn a couple of times but the old man's great-grandson is always there to chase them off. The village can laugh about his great grandfather's foolishness all they like. It doesn't matter - the old man's great-grandson just continues tending that growing acorn.

Well, eventually, the old man's great-grandson grows old and dies too. Maybe the village can forget all about the stupid acorn now? Nope, the old man's great-great grandson continues tending the acorn and grows up around that. He grows up, tending that acorn planted so long ago. He gets married and his wife and he tend that acorn, undeterred by the villagers' jibes or the weather. He has babies and they grow into toddlers as their parents continue tending that acorn planted so long ago.

One day, when those toddlers have grown into real little children, tending that acorn as they grow, comes the most sweltering day in about 100 odd years. All the little children gather and shelter under that acorn, which by now has grown into a mighty oak tree. Well, soon enough, the parents wonder what the big draw is over at what got stuck as being called as 'Old Fool Harry's place' and wander over after their children.

The old man looks down on the scene from Heaven. Well...the villagers are delighted for this magnificent oak tree and start escaping the heat underneath its shady boughs and start thanking Providence and whatever they can think of. Now, the old man's great-great-great grandson, has of course, been told the story about this acorn and on his father's wink, gives the villagers a smile. "Still think my great-great-grandfather was a fool?" he asks, cheeking them.

The villagers murmur in embarrassment as the old man looking down on the scene from heaven, nods in pride at his descendent. "See, that young'un has more sense than you did as a full-grown man. I knew I wasn't going to live to see that acorn be of any use to me. I planted the acorn so the oak tree could shade my great-great-great grandchild." he confides in a soul of one of those villagers that had jibed him for attending to that acorn for so long and so hard, a century or so back.

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2013 02:50 AM by Trekkie_Aspie.)
01-23-2013 02:30 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser