RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Attention: Fellow Anti-Schoolers
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

I have seen many users call for something to be done. Many of us do not want School Survival to be isolated from debate. Some feel that stagnation is not the key to reform. I would agree with these users.

Do you want the system to change for the better? Would you like to see the public school system ripped apart from the bureaucracy? Would it please you to see the elite lose their power, to find the government as your servant rather than your master, and to be released from the oppressive grasp of federal intervention?

If you answered yes to any of the above questions, then I implore you to listen to my plan!

I have an idea - this idea is that change is possible, reform is imminent, and oppression is finished. But this is not the truth until we act on it; however, not just any action will do. We can't charge at the U.S. government willy-nilly, or stand up on a soapbox only to insult pro-schoolers. No. We must be smarter, quicker, and louder than the system we're fighting.

Here are the steps to beginning the war on mandatory education:

Step #1 - Better Yourself

Every political activist needs credibility. To gain credibility, you must improve your mind and image. So, I say, become smarter. Give your brain a workout and learn things outside of school. Squeeze as much information as you can out of your school, even if it tries to hold the knowledge back. While you're doing so, you might even discover a nasty truth within the system that you must bring to light.

Information is your ally - acquire it so that you may use it against the public school system. Furthermore, you can't just share the information however you desire; you must utilize proper grammar, find the area in which your argument is strongest, and share your knowledge wisely by knowing when or where is the best time or place.

Also, work on your character; this is equally important. Try learning how to be a leader, and take what you know and put it to good use. Be sure to accept criticism gracefully, and assume good faith in others (save the assumption of bad faith for the corrupt system). Be a moral man (or woman).

Once you have improved yourself, you can keep improving yourself while you move onto the second step.

Step #2 - Make School Survival Better

These forums are a haven for free thought against school, and they gain quite a bit of traffic. But for every bit of positive attention they get, there's also the negative attention gathered by illiterates, trolls, and retards.

This means that you should think out your posts as best you can, come up with new ideas, and try to stay on the topic of school survival and reform. While goofing off is a luxury you should enjoy, keep in mind that right here, right now, we are dealing with some pretty serious shit.

SoulRiser, I appreciate your laissez-faire approach to administrating the forums, but I think it might help to use your powers responsibly. We have some trolls that need reprimanding and posts/threads that need deleting.

Also, it's annoying that a lot of guest attention seems to revolve around a few threads unrelated to surviving or changing school - we need to draw more attention to the best and brightest thoughts and ideas. That also means we need to come up with them.

Once our forums look more professional, then we can drag some pro-schoolers into debates. I'm all for it. In the meantime, let's head to the next step.

Step #3 - Campaign

You need to become a political activist. Make a Twitter feed, comment on news articles, or write a blog - I don't care what you do as long as you do it well. Begin to write about the problems with our current system, and the solutions you have for it.

More people need to hear about the separation of school and state. Inform people of your motives, disprove fallacious statements pro-schoolers have made, and get your voice heard through the buzzwords provided by the U.S. government. Show the people that the villains are on top, but only for as long as we let them. Inspire hope, most of all - tell people that it is possible to be rid of corruption.

Once these steps are complete, we will be better off and our voices can be heard. That is when the real debates begin.

This is by no means an easy task, but I hope I have inspired a hot start. As for a strong finish, let's cross that bridge when we come to it - we're not there yet, even though we should be.

Discuss.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
10-08-2012 11:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: GreenLamp , Sociopath , xcriteria , Trar
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
RE: Attention: Fellow Anti-Schoolers

Quote:Every political activist needs credibility. To gain credibility, you must improve your mind and image.
I'd say improving your mind is more important than your image... if you focus on the image more than the mind, you'll probably just end up trying to please everyone without being true to yourself. And people who are overly concerned with appearances are probably not worth bothering about anyway.

Quote:SoulRiser, I appreciate your laissez-faire approach to administrating the forums, but I think it might help to use your powers responsibly. We have some trolls that need reprimanding and posts/threads that need deleting.
As long as the SS forums have existed, we haven't really deleted anything except spam (and on occasion, some moderator went nuts and mass-deleted lots of threads)... that's what the basement is for. So I'll continue moving stuff to the basement when absolutely necessary (which I believe is rare), but I won't outright delete stuff. If people want to make themselves look dumb, they have the right to do that, but people also have the right to not have to look at it. Smile

The forums are mainly a 'safe haven' for people to talk about school precisely without needing to worry about getting insulted by people (much). I have nothing against having some pro-schoolers here for balance and debate, but there shouldn't be too many of them, and it should never get in the way of the purpose of the forums. If they can be civil, it's fine. In the history of the forums though, the vast majority of pro-school debaters we've had here have ended up resorting to insults and stuff.

Perhaps we should have a seperate place for debate? If you want it to 'look professional', having it here is probably a bad idea. I don't think this place is ever going to 'look professional'... nor should it. Perhaps you could host debates on your blog(s)?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
10-08-2012 10:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Ky
AtheistLGBTQAnarchist Offline
Peace Loving Blood Lover

Given 47 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

We should be free willed in front of new anti-school members and professional in front of pro-school trolls.

Congratulations humanity,because you refuse to let go of the old and evolve you actually make people believe in 2012. Not only that, but you're the only species on Earth that were able to make it possible, now we get to sit until we die because we couldn't get to Mars. We have failed as a society and don't deserve our gifts to survive for this long. Maybe this is why dinosaurs are extinct, we sure aren't any better than the dirt you say we're created from. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...DvwSOFto#! Noo

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
-Albert Einstein

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."
-Benjamin Franklin
10-09-2012 06:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
guts12 Offline
Insane Survivor

Given 30 thank(s) in 22 post(s)

This forum is like base camp. You don't start a war at base camp. Instead, we need to manifest a front line. Like Soul says, we need a separate place for debate, so that we can retreat here at will.
10-09-2012 07:22 AM
 Thanks given by: GreenLamp , SoulRiser , Ky
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

Given 22 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

I think I took the very first tiny step, though I don't know how important it is... we read this book over the summer about a case where a boy and teacher disagree, he is suspended for humming to the national anthem when the rule says "respectful silence". I wrote about my view on school and submitted it not too long ago. We get the essays back soon, but if anything my teacher just got grumpier... but it's a start. I want this to spread.
10-11-2012 08:57 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

^ No offense, but that book is probably going to make things worse. Inspiring blind patriotism is exactly what American schools are trying to do, even if they have to dis themselves to do it.

10-11-2012 09:00 AM
SomeRandomHuman Offline
Pariah

Given 83 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

(10-11-2012 08:57 AM)GreenLamp Wrote:  I think I took the very first tiny step, though I don't know how important it is... we read this book over the summer about a case where a boy and teacher disagree, he is suspended for humming to the national anthem when the rule says "respectful silence". I wrote about my view on school and submitted it not too long ago. We get the essays back soon, but if anything my teacher just got grumpier... but it's a start. I want this to spread.

I think I read that at the end of 7th grade. Does the teacher resign at the end of the book? If she does, it was the same book. I think it was called "nothing but the truth" or something like that.
10-11-2012 10:15 AM
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

(10-11-2012 09:00 AM)DoA Wrote:  ^ No offense, but that book is probably going to make things worse. Inspiring blind patriotism is exactly what American schools are trying to do, even if they have to dis themselves to do it.
Sorry if I mislead you, the book and essay were mandatory. I was adding my thoughts in the essay, simply. Now that you mention it, I didn't realize that was also a large part of the goal. My whole childhood, I thought I lived in the best country ever.

(10-11-2012 10:15 AM)SomeRandomHuman Wrote:  
(10-11-2012 08:57 AM)GreenLamp Wrote:  I think I took the very first tiny step, though I don't know how important it is... we read this book over the summer about a case where a boy and teacher disagree, he is suspended for humming to the national anthem when the rule says "respectful silence". I wrote about my view on school and submitted it not too long ago. We get the essays back soon, but if anything my teacher just got grumpier... but it's a start. I want this to spread.

I think I read that at the end of 7th grade. Does the teacher resign at the end of the book? If she does, it was the same book. I think it was called "nothing but the truth" or something like that.
Same book! Smile
10-11-2012 10:50 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

You do live in the best country ever. It's just not the best country for the reasons that have been given to you in school. The American Dream is the pinnacle of anything and everything American, in my opinion, and schools do not cover that for fear of offending the upper and lower classes.

10-11-2012 10:55 AM
 Thanks given by: GreenLamp
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

(10-11-2012 10:55 AM)DoA Wrote:  You do live in the best country ever. It's just not the best country for the reasons that have been given to you in school. The American Dream is the pinnacle of anything and everything American, in my opinion, and schools do not cover that for fear of offending the upper and lower classes.
Good country, bad government.
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2012 11:02 AM by GreenLamp.)
10-11-2012 11:01 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(10-11-2012 11:01 AM)GreenLamp Wrote:  Good country, bad government.
Precisely.

10-11-2012 11:03 AM
Peace Loving Blood Lover

Americans are just mostly Europeans except the ones that are slightly more rebellious and on another country,plus all the immigrants. Americans and Europeans are cold hearted, cold blooded, and are the reasons why wars and death and violence exist. Almost all of the major wars and violent moments in history were started by Europeans. The only reason America is the way it is now is because of Europeans killing for land, that wasn't even necessary.

Congratulations humanity,because you refuse to let go of the old and evolve you actually make people believe in 2012. Not only that, but you're the only species on Earth that were able to make it possible, now we get to sit until we die because we couldn't get to Mars. We have failed as a society and don't deserve our gifts to survive for this long. Maybe this is why dinosaurs are extinct, we sure aren't any better than the dirt you say we're created from. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...DvwSOFto#! Noo

-Albert Einstein

-Benjamin Franklin
10-12-2012 07:45 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(10-12-2012 07:45 AM)WaterHealerOfBurns Wrote:  Americans are just mostly Europeans except the ones that are slightly more rebellious and on another country,plus all the immigrants. Americans and Europeans are cold hearted, cold blooded, and are the reasons why wars and death and violence exist. Almost all of the major wars and violent moments in history were started by Europeans. The only reason America is the way it is now is because of Europeans killing for land, that wasn't even necessary.
All true, but the textbooks won't tell you that; American History is all about Eurocentrism.

10-12-2012 09:26 AM
Peace Loving Blood Lover

Our books stop talking as soon as it hits 2000 except for 9/11 briefly. Also I think I got some ignorant guy from Reddit to come talk depending on how idiotic or lazy he is (keep in mind I have been talking to him about youth and anti-school for a few days and showed him the website but yet still denies our views.)

-Albert Einstein

-Benjamin Franklin
10-12-2012 09:39 AM
SomeRandomHuman Offline
Pariah

Given 83 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

Our books dont have anything from this century in them. It stops at about the 50's. (textbook company got too lazy after that.)
10-12-2012 09:46 AM
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

(10-12-2012 09:39 AM)WaterHealerOfBurns Wrote:  Also I think I got some ignorant guy from Reddit to come talk depending on how idiotic or lazy he is (keep in mind I have been talking to him about youth and anti-school for a few days and showed him the website but yet still denies our views.)
He's going to debate with us?
10-12-2012 10:27 AM
Peace Loving Blood Lover

Too idiotic and lazy, he was SoulFire6464 if you want to talk to him because we were arguing for a few days and I think it's still going.

-Albert Einstein

-Benjamin Franklin
10-12-2012 10:29 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Hey, most pro-schoolers are convinced that this is a gay porn site or something. I'm pretty sure it's all for the best we don't drag trolls in here.

10-12-2012 10:31 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

(10-12-2012 10:29 AM)WaterHealerOfBurns Wrote:  Too idiotic and lazy, he was SoulFire6464 if you want to talk to him because we were arguing for a few days and I think it's still going.

Found him on Reddit. His arguments are a bit aggressive and stereotypical.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2012 10:37 AM by GreenLamp.)
10-12-2012 10:34 AM
Peace Loving Blood Lover

Yes I think he knew he lost once he saw the website.

-Albert Einstein

-Benjamin Franklin
10-12-2012 10:39 AM
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

This is driving me insane!!

I want to rebel in my school, but it makes me feel incredibly guilty. My teachers think they are doing good. Even if they yell and confine us in small rooms like animals, they honestly believe it is for our own good. Challenging the "importance" of their job will probably come across as an attack. The other side of me wants to fling potatoes at their heads for being ignorant and annoying.

Another thing is that it feels weird. One day I can barely sit in my seat, the next I'm actually listening to lectures and doing my work with effort. It is a constant struggle to overcome habits that have been hardwired into my behavior, especially blind obedience.

When is this going to end!? This is no easy task, there is so much to do. Spreading the word, especially. If only I had money for TV ads.
10-12-2012 10:57 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

If you're going to spread the word, you can't come across as an extremist.

Tell them that you want a better education - inform your teachers that in terms of learning, one size does not fit all. Start with some small ideas people are likely to agree with, and work your way up.

10-12-2012 11:02 AM
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

(10-12-2012 11:02 AM)DoA Wrote:  If you're going to spread the word, you can't come across as an extremist.

Tell them that you want a better education - inform your teachers that in terms of learning, one size does not fit all. Start with some small ideas people are likely to agree with, and work your way up.

I am a bit extreme. Razz

Bringing up the topic will be a bit awkward. But sooner or later I will bring it up. Somehow. Convincing kids is especially hard. I try different kids; some accept it, but fail to understand the big picture. Government bad! Others reject it completely. But I have to start somewhere.
10-12-2012 11:17 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

The best place to start is small. That's true in speaking, tasks, government, and everything else.

10-12-2012 11:21 AM
Peace Loving Blood Lover

Tell it to 11 and 12 year olds near puberty, that is when minds start to reform their personalities and when they become more open-minded. It's the time when you're either the least or the most blindly obedient, and it would be the perfect moment to tell them the truth.

-Albert Einstein

-Benjamin Franklin
10-12-2012 11:56 AM
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

Got the essay back. 85% and he told me not to go off topic so much next time. But nothing has changed. I gave him a hint and mentioned John Taylor Gatto, hoping he would be intrigued to research the name. I don't know what I'm going to do. He is the worst teacher, not so much out of rudeness but more his teaching style. We come in, copy some notes, and write down homework questions made to basically rewrite everything that was read in the book (The Outsiders) during class that day. Then we listen to him read, painfully slow, until the end of class. And my math teacher gave me a 0 on my homework for not showing my work. She wants us to copy down the formula under every problem, reason unknown.

Enough ranting. I'm on the way to convincing one of my closest friends. She is very smart, luckily. The question is whether or not I want to frighten her, and possibly convince her parents I am a bad influence.
10-13-2012 07:59 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

^ The Outsiders was a neat book. I remember reading it.

You'd probably enjoy it a lot more if you were the one reading it, though. Razz

10-13-2012 10:01 AM
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

(10-13-2012 10:01 AM)DoA Wrote:  ^ The Outsiders was a neat book. I remember reading it.

You'd probably enjoy it a lot more if you were the one reading it, though. Razz

School can ruin almost any book. ):
10-13-2012 09:41 PM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser , Ky
Ky Offline
Shadow

Bump.

Well, I'm not sure how it happened, or who took the first step, or even how big a role I played in it. What I do know is, we are in the process of fighting a war against compulsory education. We have bettered ourselves and this site. We've lost members and found new ones, but it seems we've never been so close to achieving our goals.

What do you guys think? Is it time to start campaigning in earnest?

04-23-2014 08:54 AM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Given 31 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

I don't think so. SS is just begginning to return, if anything we should work on rebuilding SS and use xcrit's site for the main campaign until SS is rebuilt.

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
04-23-2014 08:56 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  My hatred of my fellow school mates. (RANT) W.O.L.F.P.A.N.Z.E.R 11 4,676 02-06-2010 08:48 AM
Last Post: Elfy
  How do you show fellow students how stupid school really is? Will 33 8,970 12-03-2006 02:29 PM
Last Post: xXThe Damnation ProjectXx