RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi I'm Jon
guts12 Offline
Insane Survivor

Given 30 thank(s) in 22 post(s)
RE: Hi I'm Jon

I love the sheer ignorance of that. Nobody can choose their beliefs. I think you mean nobody can't choose their beliefs. You almost always have a choice. If I suddenly want to be a scientologist or whatever, I can choose to be.
10-05-2012 07:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

Given 109 thank(s) in 93 post(s)

(10-05-2012 07:53 AM)guts12 Wrote:  I love the sheer ignorance of that. Nobody can choose their beliefs. I think you mean nobody can't choose their beliefs. You almost always have a choice. If I suddenly want to be a scientologist or whatever, I can choose to be.

this text i'm putting up should be ignored for the major conversation at hand, because it only pertains to the quoted post above

Hidden stuff:
in the book i've been reading, i just got to the part where anonymous decided to attack the church of scientology's website after that video of Tom Cruise got out (it was only supposed to be given to members, but one memeber was like "nah man, it should be puublicly available." and so he sent it a journalist lady he knew (or just picked idk) and she kept it for a year before there was that one big event they were having (i don't remember and don't wanna look it up) and so she tried to get it on some news networks, but they all turned her down. So she ended up just sending it out to a bunch of people, and one of those people was in charge of gawker and even though youtube took down a bunch of the videos that were posted there bc of copyright infringement, he didn't care. He posted it and then said that he wouldn't take it down no matter what. Now there is one video on youtube that has like 3.5 million views.

well, that's all for now...i'll let you know when something else comes up Fu

The less you try to control things, the less you need to.

Boredom is the #1 enemy of learning. Therefore, school is the #1 enemy of learning.

"Bodies fucking fuck."~Night.Artist

[Image: 41433.png][Image: 14362714_1336391025.png]

Hidden stuff:
[Image: asschart.jpg]
Hidden stuff:

"free speech under the constitution only guarantees the government won't stop him saying it and does not guarantee his right to say things and have no consequences at all as a result. also i completely doubt that he is motivated solely by "i'm saying it because i can" and is probably motivated by a more shitheady motive like "i think it's funny to annoy people and Rustle Le Jimmies™ and is just hiding behind the first amendment to try to deflect any consequences or make you realize that being allowed to annoy people is a superior moral right. you can still disdain someone for doing things for dumbarse wankery purposes and you have evne more right to ban and insult them for it" ~Trar's friend about Potato.

Thanks for the diploma… can I have my childhood back?

I’d love to have a battle of wits with you… but I hate to fight the unarmed.
10-05-2012 08:06 AM
guts12 Offline
Insane Survivor

(10-05-2012 08:06 AM)Heil_Kaiba8921 Wrote:  
(10-05-2012 07:53 AM)guts12 Wrote:  I love the sheer ignorance of that. Nobody can choose their beliefs. I think you mean nobody can't choose their beliefs. You almost always have a choice. If I suddenly want to be a scientologist or whatever, I can choose to be.

this text i'm putting up should be ignored for the major conversation at hand, because it only pertains to the quoted post above

Hidden stuff:
in the book i've been reading, i just got to the part where anonymous decided to attack the church of scientology's website after that video of Tom Cruise got out (it was only supposed to be given to members, but one memeber was like "nah man, it should be puublicly available." and so he sent it a journalist lady he knew (or just picked idk) and she kept it for a year before there was that one big event they were having (i don't remember and don't wanna look it up) and so she tried to get it on some news networks, but they all turned her down. So she ended up just sending it out to a bunch of people, and one of those people was in charge of gawker and even though youtube took down a bunch of the videos that were posted there bc of copyright infringement, he didn't care. He posted it and then said that he wouldn't take it down no matter what. Now there is one video on youtube that has like 3.5 million views.

well, that's all for now...i'll let you know when something else comes up Fu

Ok...
10-05-2012 08:09 AM
 Thanks given by: NexdooseHeems
Jon Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

(10-05-2012 12:41 AM)Derchin Wrote:  
(10-05-2012 12:37 AM)Jon Wrote:  And nobody chooses their beliefs, that's impossible.

Um, yes people do. All the time.

(10-05-2012 12:37 AM)Jon Wrote:  I can't magically make myself believe in God just because I know it would be nicer to, I can't. Nobody can.

Bullshit. If they were persuaded and pushed hard enough with facts, evidence, and/or tugging at emotional strings, they could possibly change beliefs. I've seen multiple Atheists, Christians, and Muslims, converts from other religions or lack there of.
I don't understand how you can choose what you believe in. It makes no sense whatsoever. If so, you're saying I could choose to believe that gravity is a hoax and the government is actually sheep in human disguise? No, because can't just go around choosing shit like that. You believe what you believe based on evidence (or if you're religious: your parents scaring you into it). If you can, make yourself believe whatever, no matter what. Then I must've not gotten the idiotic memo.

(10-05-2012 12:58 AM)s Wrote:  
(10-05-2012 12:37 AM)Jon Wrote:  
(10-04-2012 06:33 PM)s Wrote:  So you would stop billions of people to stop reproducing?
If I could yes, but I can't. Sadly...

You have a heart of stone.
They could adopt if they want. I don't see how it would hurt them. It's like "Oh no, they can't put another miserable, defected, child into the world, how sad" boo-hoo.

(10-05-2012 02:09 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Actually, people can increase their IQ by exercising their braincells. Or decrease it by not using them.

And people choose their beliefs all the time. Like for example I choose to believe that people can change their IQ, I base this on studies I've read and on things I've seen. Someone else might choose not to believe it, either they have not seen the same studies, or they can choose to ignore them or whatever. There's always a choice.

IQ also isn't everything... there's also EQ, which I think is at least equally important, if not even more so. High EQ is what prevents people from doing things like abusing others and stuff. I think (could be wrong), Hitler had a high IQ, but clearly he was lacking in the EQ department.
Yes, IQ isn't everything but it's a good start. If someone has a low IQ we know they won't be the next Einstein.

(10-05-2012 06:20 AM)DoA Wrote:  
(10-05-2012 12:37 AM)Jon Wrote:  
(10-04-2012 06:33 PM)s Wrote:  So you would stop billions of people to stop reproducing?
If I could yes, but I can't. Sadly...

(10-04-2012 09:36 PM)SoulRiser Wrote:  lol. Since when do people's beliefs depend on their DNA? It doesn't work like that. People either choose their beliefs, or they are taught that way and just never question it. Nothing to do with DNA.

A person's DNA is what makes them have a high IQ (or not) and, while there have been religious people who were smart, in general theists' IQs are lower than atheists'. Therefore, obviously, there is a connection. And nobody chooses their beliefs, that's impossible. I can't magically make myself believe in God just because I know it would be nicer to, I can't. Nobody can. I don't know why you'd think that. Unless I misunderstood you somehow.
Bolded text is what triggered the bullshit meter.
Do your research instead of talking about your imaginary bullshit meter. Then again that would require actual thinking now wouldn't it? Fuck it then.

I give up.

It's funny because I thought this site might actually have been ok and a place where I could actually discuss things with intelligent people. How wrong I was. I'm out, fuck you all.Fu

And at least I learnt one thing, why this forum isn't very popular. And no wonder people believe that school is a good idea when people like you are the ones that are against it.

And lastly, you are the most frustrating people I have ever had the displeasure of sharing words with.
---

Oh and happy birthday, SoulRiser! I'm grateful about the school-survival.net at least. Since it's where I first read about unschooling.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2012 04:26 PM by Jon.)
10-05-2012 04:22 PM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

Given 109 thank(s) in 93 post(s)

oh god, wish i could say that you'll be missed...but to me you are like another zagix...only more annoying...i'll let others defend the sit ethough

The less you try to control things, the less you need to.

Boredom is the #1 enemy of learning. Therefore, school is the #1 enemy of learning.

"Bodies fucking fuck."~Night.Artist

[Image: 41433.png][Image: 14362714_1336391025.png]

Hidden stuff:
[Image: asschart.jpg]
Hidden stuff:

"free speech under the constitution only guarantees the government won't stop him saying it and does not guarantee his right to say things and have no consequences at all as a result. also i completely doubt that he is motivated solely by "i'm saying it because i can" and is probably motivated by a more shitheady motive like "i think it's funny to annoy people and Rustle Le Jimmies™ and is just hiding behind the first amendment to try to deflect any consequences or make you realize that being allowed to annoy people is a superior moral right. you can still disdain someone for doing things for dumbarse wankery purposes and you have evne more right to ban and insult them for it" ~Trar's friend about Potato.

Thanks for the diploma… can I have my childhood back?

I’d love to have a battle of wits with you… but I hate to fight the unarmed.
10-05-2012 09:47 PM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

(10-05-2012 04:22 PM)Jon Wrote:  I don't understand how you can choose what you believe in. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Yes it fucking does. Never heard of conversion stories have you?

(10-05-2012 04:22 PM)Jon Wrote:  If so, you're saying I could choose to believe that gravity is a hoax and the government is actually sheep in human disguise? No, because can't just go around choosing shit like that.

Equivocation fallacy look it up.

(10-05-2012 04:22 PM)Jon Wrote:  You believe what you believe based on evidence (or if you're religious: your parents scaring you into it). If you can, make yourself believe whatever, no matter what. Then I must've not gotten the idiotic memo.

*facepalm*

Oh, he left. Good.

Previously known as Derchin.
10-06-2012 02:11 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Hi I'm Jon

Hi Jon, I think you'd enjoy the ScholasticDementia forums more. There's a link to them on the forum index.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
10-06-2012 05:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)
Hi I'm Jon

Fuck you too, Jon.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
10-06-2012 08:49 AM
AtheistLGBTQAnarchist Offline
Peace Loving Blood Lover

Given 47 thank(s) in 36 post(s)
Hi I'm Jon

Yeah, they have a frag arena. Also religion is not the one that causes wars, it's our human ignorance that makes our idiotic instinct of competitiveness to kill each other even over opinions.

Congratulations humanity,because you refuse to let go of the old and evolve you actually make people believe in 2012. Not only that, but you're the only species on Earth that were able to make it possible, now we get to sit until we die because we couldn't get to Mars. We have failed as a society and don't deserve our gifts to survive for this long. Maybe this is why dinosaurs are extinct, we sure aren't any better than the dirt you say we're created from. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...DvwSOFto#! Noo

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
-Albert Einstein

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."
-Benjamin Franklin
10-07-2012 12:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
guts12 Offline
Insane Survivor

We have a frag arena. And Jon, I guess you were out of your depth. Not ready for this level of thinking. By that, I mean any.
10-07-2012 07:51 AM
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Given 63 thank(s) in 46 post(s)

I'm not even going to read this thread, but did anyone else expect this to be the copy pasta?

The purpose of life is a life with a purpose
So I’d rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless
I don’t need the circus or the day of national observance
I need you to think for you and stop being a servant
-Immortal Technique, The Martyr, The Martyr
10-16-2012 12:22 PM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(10-16-2012 12:22 PM)IamNoone Wrote:  I'm not even going to read this thread, but did anyone else expect this to be the copy pasta?
The who the what now?

10-16-2012 12:31 PM
RammsteinFearFactory Offline
Celery Addict's metalhead friend

Given 33 thank(s) in 28 post(s)
Hi I'm Jon

(10-06-2012 05:45 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Hi Jon, I think you'd enjoy the ScholasticDementia forums more. There's a link to them on the forum index.

SD would reject him just as much.

(10-07-2012 12:25 AM)EmpathyLover Wrote:  Yeah, they have a frag arena. Also religion is not the one that causes wars, it's our human ignorance that makes our idiotic instinct of competitiveness to kill each other even over opinions.

Like guts12 said, this forum has a frag arena. But it seems new users rarely visit it and it mostly acts as a dump for zagix's posts. And opinions aren't the only cause of war. War itself may cause war (World War I for example), intense disliking (North and South Korea have been blowing up the shit out of each other long after the Cold War, or at least the North has been killing the South) and territory. (The Troubles over Northern Ireland, Palestine and Israel have territorial disputes I think, etc.)

[Image: adhd_mild.gif]
10-17-2012 07:33 AM
Lambda_Physicist Offline
Defiant

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi I'm Jon

I think he just wanted attention about talking crap about Christians and thus you gave him attention. Congrats people, you fell for his trolling acts.

[Image: steam.php?id=npabon11&pngimg=gordon2&tborder=0]
10-17-2012 07:45 AM
Lambda_Physicist Offline
Defiant

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

(10-06-2012 02:11 AM)Derchin Wrote:  
(10-05-2012 04:22 PM)Jon Wrote:  I don't understand how you can choose what you believe in. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Yes it fucking does. Never heard of conversion stories have you?

(10-05-2012 04:22 PM)Jon Wrote:  If so, you're saying I could choose to believe that gravity is a hoax and the government is actually sheep in human disguise? No, because can't just go around choosing shit like that.

Equivocation fallacy look it up.

(10-05-2012 04:22 PM)Jon Wrote:  You believe what you believe based on evidence (or if you're religious: your parents scaring you into it). If you can, make yourself believe whatever, no matter what. Then I must've not gotten the idiotic memo.

*facepalm*

Oh, he left. Good.

He's trolling us bro, just ignore what he wants.

[Image: steam.php?id=npabon11&pngimg=gordon2&tborder=0]
10-17-2012 07:46 AM
RammsteinFearFactory Offline
Celery Addict's metalhead friend

Given 33 thank(s) in 28 post(s)
Hi I'm Jon

Thank you Captain Obvious. Shame, seemed like he'd be a cool guy except the fact he's made 3/4 of the forum's tiny population hate him.

[Image: adhd_mild.gif]
10-17-2012 07:51 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Hi I'm Jon

^ He practically did that himself.

10-17-2012 09:11 AM