RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing Teachers
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

Given 22 thank(s) in 14 post(s)
Changing Teachers

Is this smart or foolish? Should I attempt to change my teachers' point of view? Would it work? What do you think would happen? They don't appear to be dumb. I am thinking about telling them about the hidden purpose of schools...

Wondering because no one here seems to be doing it, and if they are they aren't talking about it.

If you changed the outlook of a teacher, wouldn't your classes potentially improve?
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2012 11:54 AM by GreenLamp.)
10-01-2012 11:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fish20 Offline
Penguins are birds

Given 32 thank(s) in 25 post(s)
RE: Changing Teachers

(10-01-2012 11:48 AM)GreenLamp Wrote:  Is this smart or foolish? Should I attempt to change my teachers' point of view? Would it work? What do you think would happen? They don't appear to be dumb. I am thinking about telling them about the hidden purpose of schools...

It depends on the teacher. Most have invested into the school system for years and won't change because of what someone younger than them says.
10-01-2012 11:57 AM
 Thanks given by: GreenLamp
PlagueMeister Offline
Oppressed

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)
Changing Teachers

I have one teacher that is very open minded to students opinions, and to suggestions on how to better himself as a teacher, though whenever I try to bring up the subject about school and my views on it, he doesn't want to hear any of it.
So, I'm not sure whether or not many teachers would be too keen on the subject...

"The more you know, the more you know you don't know." ~Socrates
10-01-2012 09:29 PM
AtheistLGBTQAnarchist Offline
Peace Loving Blood Lover

Given 47 thank(s) in 36 post(s)
Changing Teachers

If she's close minded,do it. If she isn't, don't do it wait for someone else.

Congratulations humanity,because you refuse to let go of the old and evolve you actually make people believe in 2012. Not only that, but you're the only species on Earth that were able to make it possible, now we get to sit until we die because we couldn't get to Mars. We have failed as a society and don't deserve our gifts to survive for this long. Maybe this is why dinosaurs are extinct, we sure aren't any better than the dirt you say we're created from. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...DvwSOFto#! Noo

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
-Albert Einstein

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."
-Benjamin Franklin
10-02-2012 07:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

Changing Teachers

Thanks ;D

I think I'm going to do it. Eventually. It's only beginning of the year. I will most likely take some time to observe them and find what their attitude is towards students. Then, somehow, I will hint it to them. And then make my dislike more obvious throughout the year. Also, we are writing an essay about justice between a student and teacher in some book. I will put it there, too.

MAGICAL POWERS ZAP ZAP ZAP ZAP

you hair is now glowing and smells like cheese
10-02-2012 08:53 AM
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Given 63 thank(s) in 46 post(s)

I did this once, dropped hints at least, and the teacher responded in a way.

But this is never a good idea.it is almost impossible to convert someone from school loving to school hating by just telling then the truth. Unless you are a straight A student, the teacher will just read whatever you say as "oh he's pissed because he fails and just hates school". Different story if the teacher is already leaning towards anti-school though.

The purpose of life is a life with a purpose
So I’d rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless
I don’t need the circus or the day of national observance
I need you to think for you and stop being a servant
-Immortal Technique, The Martyr, The Martyr
10-02-2012 10:37 AM
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

Changing Teachers

(10-02-2012 10:37 AM)IamNoone Wrote:  I did this once, dropped hints at least, and the teacher responded in a way.

But this is never a good idea.it is almost impossible to convert someone from school loving to school hating by just telling then the truth. Unless you are a straight A student, the teacher will just read whatever you say as "oh he's pissed because he fails and just hates school". Different story if the teacher is already leaning towards anti-school though.

Lucky me, teachers love me xD. Even the more strict ones soften around me.

The teachers at my school do love school wholeheartedly, unfortunately. But it could be possible. The ones I hope to target don't appear as stupid and brainwashed as the others. They appear open to ideas.

You are right, though. Simply telling the truth will not change them. The world seems to think that school ensures success, one student's ideas cannot change everything. I will devise a plan... an evil plan....

MUHAHAHAHAHA

BOOM MAGICAL SPARKLY THINGS APPEAR
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2012 11:01 AM by GreenLamp.)
10-02-2012 11:00 AM
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Given 98 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

Teachers are people, and people can be persuaded. If you can do so with what they consider to be "respect"...there shouldn't be any reason as to why you couldn't accomplish your goal.

Some cupid kills with arrows, some with traps.
10-03-2012 05:48 AM
 Thanks given by: McGee! , GreenLamp
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

Changing Teachers

Respect... why didn't I think of that? I thought about just not doing homework and being less compliant, but if I stay a friend they are more likely to listen. Forget my evil plan.....
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2012 10:58 AM by GreenLamp.)
10-03-2012 10:56 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)
Changing Teachers

There's nothing evil about attempting to get rid of an evil system. Remember that in all you do and say.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
10-03-2012 11:51 AM
SomeRandomHuman Offline
Pariah

Given 83 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

(10-03-2012 11:51 AM)DoA Wrote:  There's nothing evil about attempting to get rid of an evil system. Remember that in all you do and say.

agreed.
10-04-2012 05:48 AM
guts12 Offline
Insane Survivor

Given 30 thank(s) in 22 post(s)

It may be the lesser of two evils in some people's eyes, but there is nothing evil about an evil plan to get rid of an evil and corrupted system.
10-04-2012 06:52 AM
RammsteinFearFactory Offline
Celery Addict's metalhead friend

Given 33 thank(s) in 28 post(s)
Changing Teachers

When I was your age (you're 12, right?) I didn't have to. When I was 11 to 12 I had the best teacher and students in the world. Everything was pretty much automatic.

[Image: adhd_mild.gif]
10-04-2012 07:12 AM
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

Changing Teachers

(10-04-2012 05:48 AM)SomeRandomHuman Wrote:  
(10-03-2012 11:51 AM)DoA Wrote:  There's nothing evil about attempting to get rid of an evil system. Remember that in all you do and say.

agreed.
Agreed x2.

(10-04-2012 06:52 AM)guts12 Wrote:  It may be the lesser of two evils in some people's eyes, but there is nothing evil about an evil plan to get rid of an evil and corrupted system.
Yesh.

(10-04-2012 07:12 AM)RammsteinFearFactory Wrote:  When I was your age (you're 12, right?) I didn't have to. When I was 11 to 12 I had the best teacher and students in the world. Everything was pretty much automatic.

Lucky xD my teachers are more boring then anything else. And some of them like to yell. My best school year was pre-k. Playing with blocks and crayons all day... Biggrin
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2012 07:01 AM by GreenLamp.)
10-04-2012 10:19 AM
guts12 Offline
Insane Survivor

Given 30 thank(s) in 22 post(s)

Tell us how it went/goes!
10-05-2012 08:05 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Middle School Teachers v.s. Highschool Teachers Falsalm 6 5,726 01-01-2014 04:15 PM
Last Post: Falsalm