RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hiya :D
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

Given 22 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

Hello!

I felt elated when I found this site!! For several months I wanted a place to chat with others who hated school, and such a place exists!
Yaaaaaaaay

I was a school zombie until 7th grade (this year). Teachers loved me, I was like a freaking robot. I did whatever they said and hardly talked, and this was somewhat beneficial to me. I used to be extremely sensitve (kinda still true) and if a teacher yelled at me, even once, I would be torn up for weeks. I was completely brainwashed into public schooling.

And why not? I've wasted years of my life in a one size fits all program. It was too easy. After all, the whole thing depends on simply complying. I didn't see a reason why kids hated school so much.

But I changed. As much as school was the center of my life, I also questioned the system daily. Schools seemed so controlling, but I pushed down these thoughts because of the nonsense that parents and teachers were feeding us students.

After reading Dumbing us Down, I realized what public schooling really is. And now I'm pissed. I've wasted my childhood.

My fellow students do not think the way I do. I've always felt different from them. It's hard to explain, but it's like our brains are on completely different levels.

Kids at my school are extremely brainwashed. I feel lucky I mentally escaped at an earlier age and realized what crap school is.

Hello :3

Hug
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2012 11:05 AM by GreenLamp.)
09-22-2012 10:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

It's only a matter of time before we realize that we're in a bigger prison of some sort that also encompasses that smaller prison we've escaped from.

...I mean, derp. :/

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2012 11:43 AM by Ky.)
09-22-2012 11:43 AM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

Given 109 thank(s) in 93 post(s)
RE: Hiya :D

I find it sad how we're getting new members from middle school and I didn't know about this site until my Junior year of high school...and I only found it because i was looking up good pranks to do for senior year

The less you try to control things, the less you need to.

Boredom is the #1 enemy of learning. Therefore, school is the #1 enemy of learning.

"Bodies fucking fuck."~Night.Artist

[Image: 41433.png][Image: 14362714_1336391025.png]

Hidden stuff:
[Image: asschart.jpg]
Hidden stuff:

"free speech under the constitution only guarantees the government won't stop him saying it and does not guarantee his right to say things and have no consequences at all as a result. also i completely doubt that he is motivated solely by "i'm saying it because i can" and is probably motivated by a more shitheady motive like "i think it's funny to annoy people and Rustle Le Jimmies™ and is just hiding behind the first amendment to try to deflect any consequences or make you realize that being allowed to annoy people is a superior moral right. you can still disdain someone for doing things for dumbarse wankery purposes and you have evne more right to ban and insult them for it" ~Trar's friend about Potato.

Thanks for the diploma… can I have my childhood back?

I’d love to have a battle of wits with you… but I hate to fight the unarmed.
09-22-2012 12:04 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Hug

Good to have you here Smile

Not everyone thinks of typing "I hate school" into Google I suppose.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
09-22-2012 11:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

lol that's exactly what I searched ^^^
First I found a book called the 12 year sentence, then the War on Kids documentary website, and finally Dumbing us Down. Which pretty much explained everything.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2012 12:34 AM by GreenLamp.)
09-23-2012 12:23 AM
marktheshark Offline
I BIFFED IT

Given 3 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Welcome. Like you, I was a former pro-schooler that happened to stumble upon the truth of school (I did it around last year though.) I was suspicious of school for a few years at least, but the thoughts didn't came full circle until I read an article by John Taylor Gatto last year.

[Image: sig.gif]

[Image: boss_dustdragon.png]
09-23-2012 12:39 AM
AtheistLGBTQAnarchist Offline
Peace Loving Blood Lover

Given 47 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

I was a pro-schooler till I JUST GOT OUT of elementary school and saw this site.It was about mid June after I was looking up puberty(I was 11),then middle school,then anti-school which led me here.

Congratulations humanity,because you refuse to let go of the old and evolve you actually make people believe in 2012. Not only that, but you're the only species on Earth that were able to make it possible, now we get to sit until we die because we couldn't get to Mars. We have failed as a society and don't deserve our gifts to survive for this long. Maybe this is why dinosaurs are extinct, we sure aren't any better than the dirt you say we're created from. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...DvwSOFto#! Noo

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
-Albert Einstein

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."
-Benjamin Franklin
09-23-2012 03:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
guts12 Offline
Insane Survivor

Given 30 thank(s) in 22 post(s)

I always felt different too! I then read an article by Paul Graham, and I compelled me to search for more like it. I eventually stumbled across here, and haven't looked back since
09-23-2012 06:50 AM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

... I am like the black sheep here apparently, did anyone else atleast look at the pranks on here?

Boredom is the #1 enemy of learning. Therefore, school is the #1 enemy of learning.

Hidden stuff:
Hidden stuff:

"free speech under the constitution only guarantees the government won't stop him saying it and does not guarantee his right to say things and have no consequences at all as a result. also i completely doubt that he is motivated solely by "i'm saying it because i can" and is probably motivated by a more shitheady motive like "i think it's funny to annoy people and Rustle Le Jimmies™ and is just hiding behind the first amendment to try to deflect any consequences or make you realize that being allowed to annoy people is a superior moral right. you can still disdain someone for doing things for dumbarse wankery purposes and you have evne more right to ban and insult them for it" ~Trar's friend about Potato.

09-23-2012 07:19 AM
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

(09-23-2012 12:39 AM)marktheshark Wrote:  Welcome. Like you, I was a former pro-schooler that happened to stumble upon the truth of school (I did it around last year though.) I was suspicious of school for a few years at least, but the thoughts didn't came full circle until I read an article by John Taylor Gatto last year.

(09-23-2012 03:46 AM)YoungestAnarchist Wrote:  I was a pro-schooler till I JUST GOT OUT of elementary school and saw this site.It was about mid June after I was looking up puberty(I was 11),then middle school,then anti-school which led me here.

(09-23-2012 06:50 AM)guts12 Wrote:  I always felt different too! I then read an article by Paul Graham, and I compelled me to search for more like it. I eventually stumbled across here, and haven't looked back since

:O discovered

(09-23-2012 07:19 AM)Heil_Kaiba8921 Wrote:  ... I am like the black sheep here apparently, did anyone else atleast look at the pranks on here?

lol I actually didn't but now I will Razz
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2012 11:04 PM by GreenLamp.)
09-23-2012 08:14 AM
guts12 Offline
Insane Survivor

Theres pranks on here? Cool! Also, I like trains! *sings the song*
09-24-2012 06:10 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(09-22-2012 11:43 AM)DoA Wrote:  It's only a matter of time before we realize that we're in a bigger prison of some sort that also encompasses that smaller prison we've escaped from.

09-24-2012 06:14 AM
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

(09-24-2012 06:14 AM)DoA Wrote:  [quote='DoA' pid='472949' dateline='1348278194']
It's only a matter of time before we realize that we're in a bigger prison of some sort that also encompasses that smaller prison we've escaped from.

lol I didn't know how to answer this. It seems kind of dumb to ask, but what kind of bigger prison are you talking about? In what other way(s) are we trapped by the government? I didn't know there was more to it D':

Also, are you talking about New World Order?
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2012 09:58 AM by GreenLamp.)
09-24-2012 09:50 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(09-24-2012 09:50 AM)GreenLamp Wrote:  
(09-24-2012 06:14 AM)DoA Wrote:  
(09-22-2012 11:43 AM)DoA Wrote:  It's only a matter of time before we realize that we're in a bigger prison of some sort that also encompasses that smaller prison we've escaped from.

lol I didn't know how to answer this. It seems kind of dumb to ask, but what kind of bigger prison are you talking about? In what other way(s) are we trapped by the government? I didn't know there was more to it D':

I just get the feeling that there's more to this whole thing than simply escaping from a broken bureaucracy. What if we're just pawns in some game, as though the side we fight for is no less corrupt than the one we imagine we're fighting?

The government has control over other civil liberties too, at least. That could be something to look into.

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2012 10:03 AM by Ky.)
09-24-2012 10:02 AM
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

(09-24-2012 10:02 AM)DoA Wrote:  

I just get the feeling that there's more to this whole thing than simply escaping from a broken bureaucracy. What if we're just pawns in some game, as though the side we fight for is no less corrupt than the one we imagine we're fighting?

The government has control over other civil liberties too, at least. That could be something to look into.

Basically, even if we escape school, we are not free? I thought we were making our own prison by going to school, becoming a poorly educated part of the workforce (what the government wants). Maybe you are seeing something I'm not?

Or, do you mean that regardless of our education, the government will always hold ultimate control over our lives?
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2012 05:19 AM by GreenLamp.)
09-25-2012 05:18 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(09-25-2012 05:18 AM)GreenLamp Wrote:  
(09-24-2012 10:02 AM)DoA Wrote:  

Basically, even if we escape school, we are not free? I thought we were making our own prison by going to school, becoming a poorly educated part of the workforce (what the government wants). Maybe you are seeing something I'm not?

Or, do you mean that regardless of our education, the government will always hold ultimate control over our lives?
I'll just give you the mathematician's answer: Yes.

There are many prisons, whether physical or mental. Most don't even know that they're imprisoned, so why does it seem everything stops with school?

09-25-2012 06:21 AM
guts12 Offline
Insane Survivor

Sadly, the world needs this level of order, due to the general publics general ignorance. They can't be lef to their own devices apparently, it could be catastrophic.
09-25-2012 07:26 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

^ We've got to be weaned off it, then. It is the indoctrination of the government that has caused everyone to be so dependent rather than interdependent.

09-25-2012 07:35 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
waspline Offline
Revolutionary

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Yeah, I agree with guts. We need some kind of government.
09-25-2012 07:40 AM
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

Yes, we need a government. Just not the kind that takes control of the youth so that it can turn the future population into an army of workers that only exists to make babies and buy things.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2012 10:19 AM by GreenLamp.)
09-25-2012 09:34 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Perhaps a government that works as an equal partner to the people, protecting them from criminal scum and helping them fulfill the American dream.

09-25-2012 09:58 AM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

(09-25-2012 09:58 AM)DoA Wrote:  Perhaps a government that works as an equal partner to the people, protecting them from criminal scum and helping them fulfill the American dream.

The Mafia? They sort of protect the people, and I'm sure that if their dealing weren't illegal, they'd be more willing to help people out for free.

Hidden stuff:
Hidden stuff:

09-25-2012 11:48 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(09-25-2012 11:48 AM)Heil_Kaiba8921 Wrote:  
(09-25-2012 09:58 AM)DoA Wrote:  Perhaps a government that works as an equal partner to the people, protecting them from criminal scum and helping them fulfill the American dream.

The Mafia? They sort of protect the people, and I'm sure that if their dealing weren't illegal, they'd be more willing to help people out for free.
You're kidding, right?

No, the system I'm talking about doesn't exist, although according to founding fathers like Thomas Jefferson, it was supposed to. It's a system where your government *gasp* DOESN'T RULE YOU, but still exists to serve the public interest.

09-25-2012 11:56 AM
waspline Offline
Revolutionary

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE
...Nope.
09-25-2012 02:13 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Anything is possible.

It has worked on a smaller scale before. Probably already does exist somewhere in the world (in some small obscure place).

People would have to gradually get used to actually using the choices they already have, and then gradually getting to make more and more of them.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
09-25-2012 08:49 PM
guts12 Offline
Insane Survivor

It wouldn't work. It's lik communism. Great on paper, not in reality. The vast majority of people wouldn't like the change, or are too dependant on the government to change. Also, politicians as corrupt and greedy, so wouldn't approve of it.
09-26-2012 07:03 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

It wouldn't work because people like you don't believe it will.

Hidden stuff:
09-26-2012 07:17 AM
 Thanks given by: Ky
Ky Offline
Shadow

(09-26-2012 07:17 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  It wouldn't work because people like you don't believe it will.
QFT

I was going to say somewhat the same thing.

(This post was last modified: 09-26-2012 07:19 AM by Ky.)
09-26-2012 07:18 AM
RammsteinFearFactory Offline
Celery Addict's metalhead friend

Given 33 thank(s) in 28 post(s)

7th grade... so that's... roughly 11? I found this site at that age, too, I consider it to be the happiest year of my life, best social life, best teachers, best school year, not as much shit and boredom as later years... I'd give anything for it to be the last few months of 2009 again.

[Image: adhd_mild.gif]
09-26-2012 07:23 AM
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

(09-26-2012 07:23 AM)RammsteinFearFactory Wrote:  7th grade... so that's... roughly 11? I found this site at that age, too, I consider it to be the happiest year of my life, best social life, best teachers, best school year, not as much shit and boredom as later years... I'd give anything for it to be the last few months of 2009 again.

Almost 13 Biggrin lol It's the opposite for me, boring as hell and all my friends are spreading farther apart, one even seems to be a bully now O__o but the teachers are okayish.

Also: Will we ever have a good, fair government? Are there any groups working for a better one?
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2012 07:40 AM by GreenLamp.)
09-26-2012 07:39 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hiya! BadCode 4 1,725 06-14-2013 01:40 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Hiya people! Michaela-x 18 2,487 06-08-2008 04:30 AM
Last Post: Suicidal-kun