RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do grades matter at ALL?
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

Given 22 thank(s) in 14 post(s)
Do grades matter at ALL?

First post Biggrin

I come with questions.

I know grades don't mean anything, as far as education goes. But what about getting a job?

1. I'm in 7th grade. Of what importance are grades in middle school? If I don't care anymore about grades, what will happen to me when I move up to high school?

2. Okay, I failed middle school. What will happen to me in high school?

3. If I drop out of high school or stop caring about grades, can I still get into college? What do I need to go to college?

I asked my parents, and all they said was that I need grades. I have no options, I cannot be home schooled. I feel dumb asking these but I'm getting from one side that grades are everything and the other side says grades mean nothing. They may not measure education, but what about jobs?

Thank you Hug
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2012 06:09 AM by GreenLamp.)
09-20-2012 05:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
zagix Offline
Banned

Given 32 thank(s) in 25 post(s)
Do grades matter at ALL?

1. Grades in middle school don't matter for shit except they determine future classes. But middle school is easy shit and you should get an A in everything with little work.

2. Then you'll be in SPED (read: retard) classes where you'll be even more fucking bored out of your mind and controlled

3. You'll get into a shitty community college maybe and then you'll graduate and have a shitty job.

Basically, you'll be at a point where you'll get a shitty job somewhere. There's a SMALL (VERY SMALL) chance that you'll strike it rich somehow, but you'll most likely be taking it up the ass for the rest of your life.
09-20-2012 06:25 AM
 Thanks given by: GreenLamp
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)
Do grades matter at ALL?

1. Grades in middle school are of no importance, aside from occasionally dictating the complexity of future classes. Just don't fail.
2. Nothing - you'll need to repeat middle school until you get it right (or until you're 16 and can drop out).
3. You can still get into college, but most will reject you without a high school degree (there might be other means of obtaining a GED, if you're willing to do the research). Community colleges might accept you, for example.

On another note, college and high school degrees are required for most positions above entry-level - the best alternative (and also one of the hardest) is to start your own business and compete with other small business owners who may or may not have superior education to you. It is easy to fail in this field, but that's capitalism.

Just try not to fail your classes, and don't cry if you get a B+ instead of an A. Anything above a C constitutes working too hard.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
09-20-2012 06:25 AM
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

Do grades matter at ALL?

Noooo! The system has captured me >.< I will never escape its evil grasp. I need a job D':
Thanks for the answers, I will now proceed to live my life in hell.
09-20-2012 06:33 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

RE: Do grades matter at ALL?

(09-20-2012 06:33 AM)GreenLamp Wrote:  Noooo! The system has captured me >.< I will never escape its evil grasp. I need a job D':
Thanks for the answers, I will now proceed to live my life in hell.
The site itself has some guides for making you the ruler of Hell.

09-20-2012 06:34 AM
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

Do grades matter at ALL?

Thanks, will look at Biggrin
09-20-2012 06:39 AM
zagix Offline
Banned

Given 32 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

My advice is to smoke weed.
09-20-2012 07:24 AM
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

Do grades matter at ALL?

LOL Drugs gross me out Razz And if I get caught D':
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2012 07:30 AM by GreenLamp.)
09-20-2012 07:30 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Do grades matter at ALL?

They only matter for 3 things...

1. Going to college (but they won't give a rat's ass about any except your last set of grades ever)
2. Impressing your parents (lol)
3. Getting a job (mostly only if you didn't go to college, if you did, most employers would be far more interested in how you did in college, as well as the other relevant stuff you put on your CV/resume thing)

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
09-20-2012 08:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

Do grades matter at ALL?

Thank you Smile

I'm thinking of things to do with my future. Hmmm
09-20-2012 11:27 AM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

Given 109 thank(s) in 93 post(s)

You can get into any college you want, you just have to watch out for the campus security personnel...and if you want to be enrolled, then you just need enough money to buy your way into college essentially, there are families that donate $60K a year because their student got accepted, now if your family donates probably a minimum of $120K then I think you will have a spot in their somewhere, especially if you do it in person.

The less you try to control things, the less you need to.

Boredom is the #1 enemy of learning. Therefore, school is the #1 enemy of learning.

"Bodies fucking fuck."~Night.Artist

[Image: 41433.png][Image: 14362714_1336391025.png]

Hidden stuff:
[Image: asschart.jpg]
Hidden stuff:

"free speech under the constitution only guarantees the government won't stop him saying it and does not guarantee his right to say things and have no consequences at all as a result. also i completely doubt that he is motivated solely by "i'm saying it because i can" and is probably motivated by a more shitheady motive like "i think it's funny to annoy people and Rustle Le Jimmies™ and is just hiding behind the first amendment to try to deflect any consequences or make you realize that being allowed to annoy people is a superior moral right. you can still disdain someone for doing things for dumbarse wankery purposes and you have evne more right to ban and insult them for it" ~Trar's friend about Potato.

Thanks for the diploma… can I have my childhood back?

I’d love to have a battle of wits with you… but I hate to fight the unarmed.
09-20-2012 11:44 AM
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

(09-20-2012 11:44 AM)Heil_Kaiba8921 Wrote:  You can get into any college you want, you just have to watch out for the campus security personnel...
loool
(09-20-2012 11:44 AM)Heil_Kaiba8921 Wrote:  and if you want to be enrolled, then you just need enough money to buy your way into college essentially, there are families that donate $60K a year because their student got accepted, now if your family donates probably a minimum of $120K then I think you will have a spot in their somewhere, especially if you do it in person.
Cool, but I don't think we have enough money for that option >.<

09-20-2012 11:58 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Do grades matter at ALL?

^ Wait, doesn't SoulRiser have some options within her sig? Check one of the posts above for it.

09-20-2012 11:59 AM
SomeRandomHuman Offline
Pariah

Given 83 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

I dont think grades in middle school will matter much. But I am in middle school (8th grade) and they almost held me back last year. (well I was failing every class but one). Just pass, and it will be fine.
09-20-2012 01:03 PM
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

Do grades matter at ALL?

Thanks for the advice/answers! Biggrin
I don't know how I will survive the boredom. I will figure something out.
Now that I know school isn't for an education, it's extremely difficult to give a crap.

On a side note:
PARENTS!!!
Tried so hard to expose them to the truth. They have a built in immunity to it. They are completely brainwashed, I was told I am delusional and have mental problems. They just don't care. My mom is a terrible debater, at the end of my speech she was telling me to shut up over and over because she had nothing to say. They just can't accept the truth.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2012 05:22 AM by GreenLamp.)
09-21-2012 05:06 AM
guts12 Offline
Insane Survivor

Given 30 thank(s) in 22 post(s)

As a group, we need to have children. Then, we can share their pain, and hopefully share the good word. We have a responsibility to Change the world. Plus, I'm offering pie-flavoured cookies to the person who gets in the news because of something on here. I'm talking proper news, not local news.
09-21-2012 06:52 AM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

let's hope it's not me because if it is me then there is the very slight possibility that the site will be in jeopardy...how about if fagix gets on world news for something?

Boredom is the #1 enemy of learning. Therefore, school is the #1 enemy of learning.

Hidden stuff:
Hidden stuff:

"free speech under the constitution only guarantees the government won't stop him saying it and does not guarantee his right to say things and have no consequences at all as a result. also i completely doubt that he is motivated solely by "i'm saying it because i can" and is probably motivated by a more shitheady motive like "i think it's funny to annoy people and Rustle Le Jimmies™ and is just hiding behind the first amendment to try to deflect any consequences or make you realize that being allowed to annoy people is a superior moral right. you can still disdain someone for doing things for dumbarse wankery purposes and you have evne more right to ban and insult them for it" ~Trar's friend about Potato.

09-21-2012 06:56 AM
j.sch.88 Offline
Defiant

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

When I was in middle school, I believed that grades did not mean anything.
I now hold a Bacholor's degree, (I finished 4 years of college) and I am unemployed. Here are a few things I learned along the way:

1. Grades may not be the BEST representation of what one learned.
One can work very hard, learn a TON and still earn a "C," while another can memorize some factoids for 10 minutes and earn an "A." It is not a perfect system. I'm sorry.

2. Grades are important!
At my high school, the salutatiorian (2nd in my graduation class) perfected the art of MEMORIZE and REGURGITATE. She worked very hard, earned very good grades, but did not challenge herself to THINK.
I, on the other hand, tried new things. I took English classes, Pre-Calculus and Physics just for the challenge and fun of learning something new. I didn't care if I got a "C" as long as I knew I was learning.
Guess who has a job -- and who doesn't?

3. Grades tell important people (like college admissions, and potential employers) a couple of important traits about YOU.
-You FINISH your work
-You DO YOUR BEST at your work
-You submit your work ON TIME
(Even though you didn't enjoy it)

Those traits are what you need employers to know.

By all means, challenge yourself and learn like crazy. But don't neglect the "grades." They tell people more than you may realize, from your middle-school point of view.
09-21-2012 07:16 AM
GreenLamp Offline
My lamp is green.

Do grades matter at ALL?

j.sch.88- Thanks for the insight!! I understand what you are saying. Though some of my classes are very restricted to doing what is told.

For example- math class. The teacher said, in the beginning, that the learning would be very based on our own interests. I was extremely happy!! But what she meant to say was "here is a packet of activities, you do the ones you want in whatever order and you should get pretty much all of it done by the end of the week".
I will try to make it work :3

Jollychimp- I can only imagine ):
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2012 10:09 AM by GreenLamp.)
09-21-2012 10:15 AM
guts12 Offline
Insane Survivor

Given 30 thank(s) in 22 post(s)

(09-21-2012 06:56 AM)Heil_Kaiba8921 Wrote:  let's hope it's not me because if it is me then there is the very slight possibility that the site will be in jeopardy...how about if fagix gets on world news for something?

I'm offering pie flavooured cookies. Pie flavoured. Does that mean nothing to you! PIE FLAVOURED COOKIES!!!
09-22-2012 06:21 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Do grades matter at ALL?

^ What about pie-flavored pie?

09-22-2012 06:22 AM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

I do not want pie-flavored anything, bacon-flavored anything(i would sooner kill myself), or vegetable-flavored anything...so my answer is no, it means nothing to me

Hidden stuff:
Hidden stuff:

09-22-2012 06:44 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Do grades matter at ALL?

^ You hate pie flavor and bacon flavor? What?

Although, I'm with you on the rabbit-food-flavor.

09-22-2012 11:36 AM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

It's not that i don't like vegetables, it's that the only vegetable I have on occasion is baby cut carrots...so yea, no veggies...and I've never liked bacon, but my dad n sister did(which is weird bc apparently if my sister said it was good then i liked it)and I've just always said no to pie...blame my sister maybe?

Hidden stuff:
Hidden stuff:

09-22-2012 12:06 PM
AtheistLGBTQAnarchist Offline
Peace Loving Blood Lover

Given 47 thank(s) in 36 post(s)
Do grades matter at ALL?

Don't worry,I'm in LISA Acadamy in 6th grade.School is easy for me and I barely try.Maybe that's just me.Deny everything authority tells you because almost no authority deserves authority.Always remember the sentence I said right before this one.

Congratulations humanity,because you refuse to let go of the old and evolve you actually make people believe in 2012. Not only that, but you're the only species on Earth that were able to make it possible, now we get to sit until we die because we couldn't get to Mars. We have failed as a society and don't deserve our gifts to survive for this long. Maybe this is why dinosaurs are extinct, we sure aren't any better than the dirt you say we're created from. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...DvwSOFto#! Noo

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
-Albert Einstein

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."
-Benjamin Franklin
09-22-2012 12:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Video Does this really matter? Roboka 8 4,796 01-30-2017 12:28 PM
Last Post: Superkamiguru2
  High school problems don't matter .Manicrose. 10 4,358 01-27-2012 02:23 PM
Last Post: M3116
  Does it matter? Samantha 12 4,347 01-24-2009 04:19 PM
Last Post: Aviator