RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking the ACT tomorrow
యూజర్ పేరు Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 16 post(s)
Taking the ACT tomorrow

Fuck.
10-23-2010 09:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 25 post(s)
Re: Taking the ACT tomorrow

They're easier than the SAT, right?

[Image: True-Blood-Banner-true-blood-2196368-500-82.jpg]
Faith o' Meter
-{|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}-
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
10-23-2010 10:27 AM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

u gon be poor
10-23-2010 06:10 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

what's an ACT
10-24-2010 05:44 PM
యూజర్ పేరు Offline
Fanatic

I took the ACT yesterday. Luckily, I got what I believe is the easiest form they had to offer (if I remember it was form 70W). I'm pretty confident my score is going to be in the 30-34 range.

The only problem was that I didn't have enough time to finish the writing portion. I had written just over two pages of material before time was up. My prompt was about students' rights to post negative comments about their teachers and schools on the internet (form 16D). I had too much material to write but not enough time.
10-25-2010 02:09 AM
genuine anarchist Offline
Revolutionary

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

I took the ACT yesterday as well. It wasn't as draining as the SAT, but I struggled through the science section, mainly because I got bored. It wasn't hard, but I'm so used to the SAT that I came in not knowing what to expect.
10-25-2010 12:16 PM
యూజర్ పేరు Offline
Fanatic

I got my results back. I got a 30.

Of course my mom heard and demands I take it again, because apparently, if it's lower than 33 it isn't good enough.
11-15-2010 07:32 AM
Leon Kinotolian Offline
Admincat

Given 11 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

BobManPerson Wrote:I got my results back. I got a 30.

Of course my mom heard and demands I take it again, because apparently, if it's lower than 33 it isn't good enough.
30 sounds pretty good to me. Refuse her demands to take it again, for your score is at least adequate.

*Tentaclerape*
Hidden stuff:
The Desert Fox Wrote:
Rebelnerd Wrote:Avatar was an inside job.
For $9.11 I'll give you an inside job.
Raikuron Wrote:Okay. I fail. DISREGARD THAT EVERYONE, I SUCK COCKS!
BaronVonStrangle Wrote:fox you should take everything mystery says with a pinch of salt

and by pinch of salt i actually mean you need to build a fucking salt processing plant so you have enough salt to dispell the bullshit
11-15-2010 07:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
యూజర్ పేరు Offline
Fanatic

She says that MIT will never accept me if my highest score is a 30. Considering that no one from my school who has applied has ever been accepted to MIT (even with ACT scores of 34 and 35), it looks like they won't accept me even if my highest score is higher than 30.

At least I managed to beat my dad's score of 27 and my friend's score of 29.
11-15-2010 08:14 AM
Leon Kinotolian Offline
Admincat

Given 11 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

BobManPerson Wrote:At least I managed to beat my dad's score of 27 and my friend's score of 29.
Well, I'd call that an accomplishment, then.

*Tentaclerape*
Hidden stuff:
The Desert Fox Wrote:
Rebelnerd Wrote:Avatar was an inside job.
For $9.11 I'll give you an inside job.
Raikuron Wrote:Okay. I fail. DISREGARD THAT EVERYONE, I SUCK COCKS!
BaronVonStrangle Wrote:fox you should take everything mystery says with a pinch of salt

and by pinch of salt i actually mean you need to build a fucking salt processing plant so you have enough salt to dispell the bullshit
11-15-2010 08:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Revolutionary

BobManPerson Wrote:She says that MIT will never accept me if my highest score is a 30. Considering that no one from my school who has applied has ever been accepted to MIT (even with ACT scores of 34 and 35), it looks like they won't accept me even if my highest score is higher than 30.

At least I managed to beat my dad's score of 27 and my friend's score of 29.

Fuck MIT, you'll kill yourself and your chances at a happy life if all you do is take tests to make high scores to impress people. A 30 is pretty freakin' amazing on that test (I made a 28, so what do I know?). There are plenty of decent universities to get into; it's not the end of the world if you don't go to MIT, and your mother shoudln't coerce you into doing so.
11-24-2010 11:05 AM
యూజర్ పేరు Offline
Fanatic

What can I do? She'll take all of my stuff away if I don't comply with her agenda. I'm scheduled to take the Math II and Chemistry SAT subject tests in a week. I reviewed today and I found myself guessing on more than half for the math questions and almost all chemistry questions. I told her that I'm not taking the SAT more than once, and I told her that I'm probably going to end up getting a low score. She told me I'm lazy and took my Xbox away. She's convinced that I'm a unique little snowflake who can do everything and is a genius, and she's completely unaware that every parent thinks that way. She thinks that if I don't live up to her expectations, I'm being lazy. When I do meet her expectations, she questions why I couldn't do any better. For every A I get on a test, she asks me why I couldn't get an A+. She told me I should kill myself when I got a C in Spanish in 7th grade. She told me that I'll end up homeless because my grade in physics is only a B. She doesn't seem to understand that 30 is a ridiculously high score, and just because it's not a 33 or a 34 doesn't mean I'm disqualified from going to a good college. I told her that I'm probably not going to get accepted into MIT, and she told me that I'm a "very lazy boy" who "just wants to play Call of Duty all day." I showed her a chart of everyone who applied to MIT. They all had ACT scores and GPAs higher than mine, and they all got rejected. I told her that this is a good indication of what MIT will think of me, and she said that I'm somehow better than all of them and I have better chances of getting into MIT than they did. I told her that I might not apply to MIT, and she screamed at me for nearly an hour about how I'm "lazy." She always uses my uncles as an example - they were all financially unsuccessful. She said I'll end up like them if I don't go to MIT. I told her that I'm going to apply to the California Institute of Technology (which is a very good school), and she told me that it's a "bullshit college" and I'll end up dying in poverty if I go there. She said the same about Cornell, Urbana-Champaign, and just about every other good school there is. She thinks I'm capable of doing all these things that I clearly can't, and she refuses to believe otherwise. I told her that I'm not going to apply to Harvard, and she spent the rest of the day trying to persuade me to go there. I told her that MIT and Stanford are better colleges for what I'm interested in, and she kept saying that I should apply "just to be safe." I kept asking her why I should apply when I don't even want to go there, and she finally screamed, "in case you can't get into any other college!" If I can't even get into a fucking community college, what the fuck makes her think that I'll be able to get into Harvard? She's clearly delusional. All of my friends say I should rebel against her, but what can I do? I'll rebel and she'll take all of my stuff away. My dad is rarely home ever since he was forced into retirement, so he can't help me. My brother is semi-retarded and too afraid to do anything, so he can't help. He probably doesn't even understand what my mom and I would be arguing about. What can I do? I'm powerless. There's nothing I can do, at least until I turn 18.
11-25-2010 04:44 AM
Revolutionary

^Who's paying for your appliations? If it's you, apply wherever the fuck you want, and just let your mother stay delusional. I know what you're going through; my dad told me the same thing about Yale and how I should apply, even though their are people with perfect SAT scores that got rejected and I haven't done jack shit that makes me worthy of an Ivy League institution. Apply for financial aid as well, and get a job. If your mother insists on taking away things that are yours, find the ones that you actually paid for and tell her she can't take those away. If you didn't pay for anything of it, now's the time to get a job and save up money, just in case.

Oh, and tell your mother that there are plenty of people who didn't go to MIT and Harvard and turned out to be successful by society's standards. Going to a good school does look good on a resume, but if you're good at your job, the school doesn't matter in the long run. A friend of mine is doing extremely well as a physician, and his grades in school were "okay". As in, he gots Cs and Bs and hated basic high school biology. Grades aren't everything; it's the skills that'll help you land a job. Colleges generally take a holistic view of you, so just because you didn't get a 34 on the ACT (a 30 is still pretty good, though), they still look at your grades and activities.

I know it's hard to rebel against your mother, but eventually, she'll have to fuck off. Grades aren't everything, and you aren't doomed to a life of poverty if you get rejected from Harvard. And you seem far from lazy, judging by all the tests your taking and shit. Tell her (nicely) that you're still a kid and deserve to have fun, and if that means being lazy, then so be it. Essentially, it's your life, and after high school, if you don't go to an Ivy League school, just prove to your mother you can be a success without having gone through that shit. Basically, work hard, but enjoy life.
11-25-2010 02:58 PM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

I'd just like to point out what that means in Australia:
Australian
Capital
Territory

I thought this topic was about invading a country...

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
11-25-2010 03:28 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

genuine anarchist Wrote:Epic Shut down to Faggotry speech

Genuine you hit the nail right on the head.
Bobman you're mom doesn't give a rats ass about you or you living in poverty.
She only cares about having a trophy she can brag about and a son on a leash to fulfill her long lost goals. I agree with anarchist in that your mom will need to learn to fuck off later on(my dad wanted me to get in pro football or some stupid bullshit like that).
Your chink mom will need to wake up eventually and Genuine is right.
You're an intelligent hard worker who seems not to take much bullshit from people and you don't let yourself be herded around.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
11-26-2010 06:27 AM
Revolutionary

AWOL Wrote:I'd just like to point out what that means in Australia:
Australian
Capital
Territory

I thought this topic was about invading a country...

Giggle Maybe it is...maybe this is all code for something...

HeartofShadows Wrote:She only cares about having a trophy she can brag about and a son on a leash to fulfill her long lost goals. I agree with anarchist in that your mom will need to learn to fuck off later on(my dad wanted me to get in pro football or some stupid bullshit like that).
Your chink mom will need to wake up eventually and Genuine is right.
You're an intelligent hard worker who seems not to take much bullshit from people and you don't let yourself be herded around.

Pretty much. Parents do that sometimes; they want to live their bullshit dreams through their kids without realizing that kids are essentially their own persons/people. It is your life, and with all the work you put into her wishes, if you shift it to something you want to do, you'll be successful in whatever it is.
11-26-2010 12:37 PM
యూజర్ పేరు Offline
Fanatic

I took the ACT again back early in February. I got, once again, a 30. I got the exact same score as last time.

Because of this, I must take the ACT yet again. Even though my score didn't deteriorate, I didn't improve.

At least I'm consistent.
03-01-2011 09:29 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Taking SAT subject tests tomorrow యూజర్ పేరు 15 4,183 02-24-2011 01:27 PM
Last Post: Absnt