RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Surviving this year
SomeRandomHuman Offline
Pariah

Given 83 thank(s) in 67 post(s)
Surviving this year

This summer my mom got pissed at me and was screaming at me and slapping me untill I promised I would get all A's!! I am screwed, I have never gotten an A on my report card in my life!!! School starts on thursday, but all grades are now visable online! Why the hell did the school do that? What do you guys do when in a situation like that. If I dont get all A's there will be terrible consequences. And she and the school think I have "problems" and I will be dumped into a few "special" classes as a result. I dont have problems, just a mind of my own! Have any of you been dumped in these classes, and how do you get out? And my mom bitches at me when she gets e mailed that I lost or didnt do my homework! I used to go on her email, delete the messages but I was caught!! I cant guess her new password. Sorry about the rant, please give me ideas to survive this year!!!!
09-04-2012 01:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)
Surviving this year

It sounds like you need options. but we don't have enough information. Define "problems" and "special".

If push comes to shove, anyway, you can always get out of the house and move to a different city.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
09-05-2012 06:27 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Surviving this year

Your mother has serious mental issues, sorry to say. That's blatant abuse. Is there anyone trustworthy you can talk to about that?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
09-05-2012 08:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SomeRandomHuman Offline
Pariah

RE: Surviving this year

(09-05-2012 06:27 AM)Doa Wrote:  It sounds like you need options. but we don't have enough information. Define "problems" and "special".

If push comes to shove, anyway, you can always get out of the house and move to a different city.
By problems she thinks I have ODD, Bipolar, aspergers, shit like that. By special I mean only 2 other kids in each class, and in a seperate part of the school. So we dont spread our anti school ideas to the mainstream. How old do I need to be to move out? I will be 14 in a few months, I think I have to be older.
09-05-2012 11:06 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(09-05-2012 11:06 AM)SomeRandomHuman Wrote:  
(09-05-2012 06:27 AM)Doa Wrote:  It sounds like you need options. but we don't have enough information. Define "problems" and "special".

By problems she thinks I have ODD, Bipolar, aspergers, shit like that. By special I mean only 2 other kids in each class, and in a seperate part of the school. So we dont spread our anti school ideas to the mainstream. How old do I need to be to move out? I will be 14 in a few months, I think I have to be older.
Well, that's not good. Demand you get yourself analyzed, and get the psychiatrist's word that you do not have any of those things.

09-05-2012 11:15 AM
SomeRandomHuman Offline
Pariah

(09-05-2012 08:13 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Your mother has serious mental issues, sorry to say. That's blatant abuse. Is there anyone trustworthy you can talk to about that?
I agree with you. Nobody to trust, but her sister knows how mental she is, and from the time she came over just by seeing how mean she is (and she acted nicer because her sister came) she feels bad for me. She will ocasionally send me some stuff and gave me the ipod I am posting on, but cant do anything more, she doesnt want her daughter learning bad words, how to lie really well, how to cheat, ect from me so she doesnt ever come anymore. :(
09-05-2012 11:16 AM
SomeRandomHuman Offline
Pariah

Doa
sorry I couldnt quote, it was too long for my ipod to quote. The phycyatrist is scared shitless of her so he will do as she says, so I cant do that. And if he wasnt scared, he probally would throw at least one "diagnosis" on me anyway, because of my hatred for school.
09-05-2012 11:21 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

(09-05-2012 11:16 AM)SomeRandomHuman Wrote:  I agree with you. Nobody to trust, but her sister knows how mental she is, and from the time she came over just by seeing how mean she is (and she acted nicer because her sister came) she feels bad for me. She will ocasionally send me some stuff and gave me the ipod I am posting on, but cant do anything more, she doesnt want her daughter learning bad words, how to lie really well, how to cheat, ect from me so she doesnt ever come anymore. :(
Argh, that sucks. Well, I mean it's nice that someone cares, but sucks that there's something preventing her from doing more to help. Maybe you could promise to not teach her daugher any bad things so she can come over more? lol

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
09-05-2012 11:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SomeRandomHuman Offline
Pariah

Soulriser
sorry I couldnt quote, but my ipod thought this one was too long too! Grr! My aunt says she knows I wouldnt do it on purpose, but her daughter would see me and she thinks her daughter would become like me! And she is scared of what my mom might do to her. Her daugher is so lucky! Her mom never yells at her, never hits her, and spoils the shit out of her! I wish my mom was like her. Why the hell did this have to happen??? My cousin being spoiled as shit, and me being slapped and yelled at!!! Sorry about the rant.
09-05-2012 11:34 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Surviving this year

Have you tried consulting God on the matter? I'm perfectly serious, of course.

09-05-2012 11:50 AM
SomeRandomHuman Offline
Pariah

(09-05-2012 11:50 AM)Doa Wrote:  Have you tried consulting God on the matter? I'm perfectly serious, of course.
What do you mean?
09-05-2012 11:53 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(09-05-2012 11:53 AM)SomeRandomHuman Wrote:  
(09-05-2012 11:50 AM)Doa Wrote:  Have you tried consulting God on the matter? I'm perfectly serious, of course.
What do you mean?
I mean, do you practice any religions? Have you looked to God for help?

09-05-2012 12:08 PM
SomeRandomHuman Offline
Pariah

(09-05-2012 12:08 PM)Doa Wrote:  
(09-05-2012 11:53 AM)SomeRandomHuman Wrote:  
What do you mean?
I mean, do you practice any religions? Have you looked to God for help?
My mom is always ranting at me about how god isnt real, but I secretly think that he might. Maybe she doesnt want me to belive in him so he wont save me from her. But part of me thinks if he was real he woulda helped me out by now. But maybe he is real and has a plan for me later in life. Even though I dont know if he is real, I am so desperate that I pray like CRAZY to hopefully get out of this deep shit.
09-05-2012 12:57 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Surviving this year

Well, for what it's worth... I know this isn't really the same as your problems, but I was bullied constantly every day for 8 years. In the back of my mind though, I kept telling myself "someday things will be better. Someday I will actually have real friends". ... I was right, life got better, I got some really awesome friends who actually give a damn and aren't afraid to show it. But if I never went through all that bullying, I probably wouldn't appreciate these friends as much as I do now... which is kind of ironic. In a way, I guess, even bad things can turn out good. I'm not saying you shouldn't try to fix the situation though, only that you should never give up on life getting better. You may be able to make it better now somehow, but even if not, never give up.

Sadhug

Hidden stuff:
09-06-2012 05:29 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Surviving this year

^ That's kind of related to what I was going to say, actually.

God has this awesome habit of turning bad things around for good. Just don't give up on Him.

09-06-2012 06:33 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
V.R. Offline
Revolutionary

Given 19 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

I guess you could attempt to reason with her about the true value of the grading system (aka none), but I assume you've done that already.
09-06-2012 10:49 AM
SomeRandomHuman Offline
Pariah

(09-06-2012 05:29 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Well, for what it's worth... I know this isn't really the same as your problems, but I was bullied constantly every day for 8 years. In the back of my mind though, I kept telling myself "someday things will be better. Someday I will actually have real friends". ... I was right, life got better, I got some really awesome friends who actually give a damn and aren't afraid to show it. But if I never went through all that bullying, I probably wouldn't appreciate these friends as much as I do now... which is kind of ironic. In a way, I guess, even bad things can turn out good. I'm not
saying you shouldn't try to fix the situation though, only that you should
never give up on life getting better. You may be able to make it better
now somehow, but even if not, never give up.

Sadhug

I will never give up on getting out of ths situation. If I do give up, my mom will win. And with the bullying, the kids at my school are jackasses and bully me too, but I am used to it, and rarely even notice them. But I made a friend who is a loser like me, and she is so flippin huge everyone is scared to bully me whenever I am with her. Do you think I will get used to my mom like that? I doubt it though, she has been a jackass since preschool (the only thing I remember from that long ago is mom
whacking me in the face with a big rock, what a jackass) and I still get
upset that she doesnt care about me. Is it stupid that I still care that she
hates me? I guess I am madly jealous that everybody I know has a better mom. But I guess to make up for all the shit that happens, I will be really happy later in life, and get my dream job, and when my mom gets really old, and wants me to help her (and I am her only kid) I will say no and tell her what an ass she is.
09-06-2012 11:31 AM
SomeRandomHuman Offline
Pariah

I have tryed reasoning eith her many times, but she always screams "But when I was in school I got all A's, went to harvord and wharton, and my mom said I was perfect". She was so lucky, her mom thought she was perfect. I get it, she thinks I am a total useless idiot who is loser and will never amount to anything (she has told me that) but cant she accept me for that? But school starts TOMMOROW and I am scared as shit. I hope the school bullies arent in my classes, that my teachers will be the type who gives A's to anybody, not the kind who hates kids and e mails my mom bad stuff. By e mailing mom teachers have gotten me in deep shit! I wish I was someone elses kid, with a mom who gives half a rats ass about me! My mom hates me and many times will tell me what a piece of shit I am. And that makes me really upset and I always have to run away and sometimes even cry when she says stuff like that. Why do I even care? I hate my mom, but I still somehow care what she thinks about me. I hope what she says isnt true.
09-06-2012 11:44 AM
V.R. Offline
Revolutionary

Given 19 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

So she's a disillusioned elitist. All I can tell you is to just bear until you have the time to truly make a difference. You'll come out of it much more resilient.
09-06-2012 11:52 AM
SomeRandomHuman Offline
Pariah

(09-06-2012 11:52 AM)V.R. Wrote:  So she's a disillusioned elitist. All I can tell you is to just bear until you have the time to truly make a difference. You'll come out of it much more resilient.
yes, sadly she is. I wish as a kid someone slapped some sense into her, saved me from all this shit. But I think I need to be 18 to move out! I am 13, will be 14 in a few months. How will I make it through this shit, I am amazed I havent killed myself yet! But I will not do that, if I do then mom will have won, and I will never get to live better once I can move out. Mom or better known as the idiot says I will just be another hobo who doesnt deserve to share the earth with her (and she teaches in a bargin basement communith college!) Maybe she is such a bitch because she is a teacher! When dragged to her school to wait while she teaches, her students come to me in her office while she is in meetings and give me lost of snacks from the cafeteria and tell me how sorry they feel for me haveing a bitch of a mom like that. They all hate her too, maybe they can help me beat the shit out of her?
09-06-2012 12:15 PM
SomeRandomHuman Offline
Pariah

(09-06-2012 06:33 AM)Doa Wrote:  ^ That's kind of related to what I was going to say, actually.

God has this awesome habit of turning bad things around for good. Just don't give up on Him.

I will try not to give up on god, but it is hard considering the deep shit I am in. But I guess to make sure nobody belives in him enough to go looking for him and make a retard of themselfs doing that he needs to make shitty mothers, like mine. But I am relived that some day, life will not suck ass, and I will be away from the idiot (mom)
09-06-2012 12:19 PM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(09-06-2012 12:19 PM)SomeRandomHuman Wrote:  
(09-06-2012 06:33 AM)Doa Wrote:  ^ That's kind of related to what I was going to say, actually.

I will try not to give up on god, but it is hard considering the deep shit I am in. But I guess to make sure nobody belives in him enough to go looking for him and make a retard of themselfs doing that he needs to make shitty mothers, like mine. But I am relived that some day, life will not suck ass, and I will be away from the idiot (mom)
God didn't make an idiot/retard. He made a person that adopted that temperament. Blame the thoughts and actions, not the person.

09-06-2012 12:26 PM
SomeRandomHuman Offline
Pariah

Yeah, I guess nobody would make an idiot, unless he wants my life to suck ass. Because if he made my mom on purpose, he is terrible
09-06-2012 12:29 PM
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Given 63 thank(s) in 46 post(s)
Surviving this year

This is a long post, but worth the read.

As far as I can tell, your best option at this point is to seek a new psychologist/psychiatrist/therapist independently of your mother. As far as I can tell, you might have people misinterpreting your ODD as you simply disliking school because school is the only context they can see you in that you have to bow down to an authority. I do not want to jump to any conclusions, but you may actually have ODD regarding school alone because your mother imposes her impossible standards on you and makes school impossibly stressful for you. As a result, school becomes a living hell for you, and you reject anything the teachers want you to do. Obviously we all have valid reasons for disliking school, but logic doesn't convince very many people of anything.
Your mother is probably imposing herself on you because she wants you to do as good or better on you. She is like one of those parents that wants their child to become what they never could be, but your mother actually did good in school.

If you go to a new therapist person and explain the situation with your mother and your previous diagnosis, including how she hit you and how she used to get straight A's, the therapist will hopefully understand they way I understand it unless he/she is a fucking idiot, and will be able to talk to your mother to do something about the issue and to get her to see what she is doing and correct her behavior. Just remember, no blame, just give straight facts, no opinions, no blame, no buts, no reasons why school is a horrible place. If this all fails, I can give you some other strategies, but they are horribly manipulative and immoral with a slight possibility of ending bad.

The purpose of life is a life with a purpose
So I’d rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless
I don’t need the circus or the day of national observance
I need you to think for you and stop being a servant
-Immortal Technique, The Martyr, The Martyr
09-06-2012 02:27 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

I'm skeptical about the thing where your mother says her mother adored her and whatever. She has the kind of mental issues that are usually caused by abusive parenting. Though it is possible it was caused by something else. Maybe her dad?

I guess knowing that is probably not helpful for you though.

It's hard to stop caring what your parents think of you, so yeah, that'll probably take some time and effort.

Not sure how you'll get to talk to other psychologists without your mother's help though. Your aunt maybe?

Hidden stuff:
09-06-2012 02:49 PM
 Thanks given by: SomeRandomHuman
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Given 63 thank(s) in 46 post(s)

The truth about the mom or why the mom is fucked up does not matter . What's important is that he gets outside help to stopvthat crazy lady from hurting him any more. Going with his aunt is a good idea. The mothers mental problems the psychologist can worry about, they are secondary.

The purpose of life is a life with a purpose
So I’d rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless
I don’t need the circus or the day of national observance
I need you to think for you and stop being a servant
-Immortal Technique, The Martyr, The Martyr
09-06-2012 02:53 PM
SomeRandomHuman Offline
Pariah

Just like soulriser said, I dont think I will be able to see other physcologists. There are some at school, but they will tell me the same shit. I have tryed telling physcologists about this, but they are too scared to deal with her. I tryed calling a hotline, but they had no advice for me. Fuckers. IamNoone, can you tell me those strategies? I am fucking DESPERATE! I have been putting up with this bullshit for almost 14 years, and I want to do something about it! School started today, it was hell. The special teachers seem like prison guards. They wont let me walk to the bathroom myself, when I had to one of the teachers followed me into the batyroom and stood outside my stall as I did my buisiness. But I found out I am in one regular class, it is accually a smart person class, its algebra! The teacher says this is a 10th grade level class (I am in 8th) and we better behave! The idiot probally signed me up so I would never get all A's like she demanded! What a bitch! And all the eachers will call home if I dont do my homework! Do you think I should try to explain to the almost nice teacher what my mom does, and that mom shouldnt be called? That would probally not help, would it be worth a shot?
09-07-2012 11:51 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Surviving this year

^ I'm sure there has to be SOME hotline that actually has something to say that might help. In the meantime, try explaining your situation to your nice teacher...but do it as rationally as you possibly can.

09-07-2012 12:23 PM
SomeRandomHuman Offline
Pariah

(09-07-2012 12:23 PM)DoA Wrote:  ^ I'm sure there has to be SOME hotline that actually has something to say that might help. In the meantime, try explaining your situation to your nice teacher...but do it as rationally as you possibly can.
How do I explain it to her?
09-07-2012 12:42 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Whatever you say, most definitely certainly absolutely include the fact that your mother hits you. That's just about the only form of abuse most people take seriously... well, as long as they can't classify it as 'spanking', which far too many people don't seem to think counts as assault/abuse.

Basically tell her what you told us in your first post.

Quote:This summer my mom got pissed at me and was screaming at me and slapping me untill I promised I would get all A's!! I am screwed, I have never gotten an A on my report card in my life!!!

Quote:If I dont get all A's there will be terrible consequences.

Make sure she knows you are afraid of your mother.

Hidden stuff:
09-07-2012 01:17 PM