RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Schools Are Prisons (And That's A Good Thing)
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

If you read carefully, he made a shout out to us.

http://www.snipeme.com/archive.php?year=...re_prisons

Previously known as Derchin.
08-31-2012 09:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
RE: Schools Are Prisons (And That's A Good Thing)

lol. .. but why do people become so lazy and apathetic? Because school gives learning a bad reputation. I'd bet they wouldn't be that dumb otherwise. People are horribly gullible. .. if there was a school system that eliminated gullibility, it might actually be worthwhile, but people should always have alternatives.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
08-31-2012 10:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Avatar Korra , Rule_BreakerXVIII , The man , Prankster813
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

I'm surprised you didn't get word of this rant earlier.

08-31-2012 10:58 AM
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Given 63 thank(s) in 46 post(s)

He has a point, sort of. We all need to be forced to learn, somehow. We need to know some shit, we just don't need to have it drilled into us. We need like 2 years to foster a love of learning and make sure we want to learn, then we can be set free.

The purpose of life is a life with a purpose
So I’d rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless
I don’t need the circus or the day of national observance
I need you to think for you and stop being a servant
-Immortal Technique, The Martyr, The Martyr
08-31-2012 11:34 AM
 Thanks given by: Rule_BreakerXVIII
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

If any of what that author is saying is true, then perhaps I'm not like other people.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
08-31-2012 12:18 PM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser , The man
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Well it does have nuggets of truth in there.

08-31-2012 12:36 PM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

Given 160 thank(s) in 104 post(s)

People shouldn't be forced to learn. Many people don't know about engineering or medicine, doesn't mean we oughta ship them off to school for 6-8 years till they master it. This kind of "reasoning" doesn't work; if we ship people off until they all learn, the amount of things to learn in the lifetime will exceed their lifespan; in short, they will live, and die, in their schools. Maybe some people don't want to learn...so fucking what? Its their life, its their choice. If they don't want to learn that's their choice. Forcing them to would be nothing short of slavery.

I think the guy who wrote this is a fuckhead.

Hidden stuff:
TRIGGER WARNING: THIS TRIGGER WARNING CONTAINS TRIGGER WARNINGS!

Dear Tumblrites: Despite your wrongly self-diagnosed PTSD, no line of scientific evidence suggests people can be triggered over the internet. Triggering works through the senses (i.e. smell, taste, touch, vision, hearing.) but it goes through real time; if you're not experiencing it in real life as it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING in your ACTUAL life, you CANNOT be triggered. The only exception to this is if you have a seizure, but then again, that's triggered by epilepsy (i.e. rapidly-changing flashing lights) NOT PTSD. Remembering a bad incident is NOT the same thing as having a flashback. When you remember, you think; when you flashback, you feel.

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

[Image: violator_blackbg_110x32.gif]
Max Stirnir Wrote:"In the time of spirits thoughts grew till they overtopped my head, whose offspring they yet were; they hovered about me and convulsed me like fever-phantasies -- an awful power. The thoughts had become corporeal on their own account, were ghosts, e. g. God, Emperor, Pope, Fatherland, etc. If I destroy their corporeity, then I take them back into mine, and say: "I alone am corporeal." And now I take the world as what it is to me, as mine, as my property; I refer all to myself." The Ego and Its Own, pg. 15
Charles Manson Wrote:“Look down at me and you see a fool;
look up at me and you see a god;
look straight at me and you see yourself”
HeartofShadows Wrote:"Life is nothing more than a druggie trying to get their quick fix of happiness while dealing with the harsh withdrawal of reality"
Osip Mandelstam Wrote:"I divide all of world literature into authorized and unauthorized works. The former are all trash; the latter--stolen air. I want to spit in the face of every writer who first obtains permission and then writes." The Fourth Prose, 1930.
Lukas Foss Wrote:That is why the analogy of stealing does not work. With a thief, we want to know how much money he stole, and from whom. With the artist it is not how much he took and from whom, but what he did with it.
PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
 Pirate Join the crew!Pirate
09-01-2012 12:00 AM
 Thanks given by: Superkamiguru , Avatar Korra , The man , Prankster813
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

All educators (including parents) need to make kids be open minded and need to make them see learning as fun and rewarding, then provide a (somewhat) structured method for children to be able to expand their minds and learn more without forcing them to.

Sociopath, could you imagine if no one knew anything or had no skills? We need an educated populace, whether we like it or not. And quite frankly, as children we are rarely developed enough to view knowledge obtained in the terms of financial success in the future, and we do not develop that capacity until it is to late. We are a society brainwashed to believe we can achieve anything and we will have life handed to us on a silver platter . We only realize its to late to try harder and learn more once we are stuck in a 9-5 and bitter about the lies we believed in youth. We need to be prompted, if not forced, to obtain knowledge of some sort in order to do some kind of work, whether you want to sell drugs or be a doctor.

(This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 04:02 AM by IamNoone.)
09-01-2012 04:00 AM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

Again, forcing people to do so is slavery. And so what? "what if noone knew anything" that's bullshit. The inherent desire to learn drives people, and we will always have those people with us. Now, if you were to say "should we support those who don't contribute to our society of learners" that's an entirely different concept. My answer on that is, No.

Hidden stuff:

Dear Tumblrites: Despite your wrongly self-diagnosed PTSD, no line of scientific evidence suggests people can be triggered over the internet. Triggering works through the senses (i.e. smell, taste, touch, vision, hearing.) but it goes through real time; if you're not experiencing it in real life as it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING in your ACTUAL life, you CANNOT be triggered. The only exception to this is if you have a seizure, but then again, that's triggered by epilepsy (i.e. rapidly-changing flashing lights) NOT PTSD. Remembering a bad incident is NOT the same thing as having a flashback. When you remember, you think; when you flashback, you feel.

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

Max Stirnir Wrote:"In the time of spirits thoughts grew till they overtopped my head, whose offspring they yet were; they hovered about me and convulsed me like fever-phantasies -- an awful power. The thoughts had become corporeal on their own account, were ghosts, e. g. God, Emperor, Pope, Fatherland, etc. If I destroy their corporeity, then I take them back into mine, and say: "I alone am corporeal." And now I take the world as what it is to me, as mine, as my property; I refer all to myself." The Ego and Its Own, pg. 15
HeartofShadows Wrote:"Life is nothing more than a druggie trying to get their quick fix of happiness while dealing with the harsh withdrawal of reality"
Osip Mandelstam Wrote:"I divide all of world literature into authorized and unauthorized works. The former are all trash; the latter--stolen air. I want to spit in the face of every writer who first obtains permission and then writes." The Fourth Prose, 1930.
Lukas Foss Wrote:That is why the analogy of stealing does not work. With a thief, we want to know how much money he stole, and from whom. With the artist it is not how much he took and from whom, but what he did with it.
PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
09-01-2012 08:04 AM
 Thanks given by: The man , Prankster813
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

I never actually used the word forcing. I said prompting, because sometimes we forget that we actually need to do shit to be successful.

And honestly, we would support these people anther we like it or not. We have enough idiots in the democratic party willing to throw money at the poor and enough people voting for said democrats to be able to force people to get off their lazy asses and work (this only applies to those poor people who actually are lazy).
Nothing against those with democratic ideas, both parties are just straight up stupid.

Don't even start about anarchy, we are working within the constraints of the current system.

09-01-2012 09:49 AM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

I believe you mean to say *you* are working within the constraints of the current system.

Hidden stuff:

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
09-01-2012 11:37 AM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

Words cannot describe how stupid this article is...

In a nutshell: "Forced public school is immoral and wrong but "we" need it anyways".

First of all, this article is written under the false theory that humans naturally don't want to learn anything and just want to sit on their asses and watch Jersey Shore all day if they had the chance. This is not at all true. When babies are born the first thing they do is explore and play around with things and learn about the world. Public school teaches kids that learning sucks and is boring as hell. Gee I sure wonder why some people choose not to learn anything???

Also, whoever this moron is, there is no way he has ever ever read a John Taylor Gatto book or even bothered to look up anything about youth rights beyond "HURR DURR SCHOOL IZ PRISON...". So he is right about one thing, he is a perfect example of someone who doesn't want to learn by himself.

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
09-01-2012 12:50 PM
 Thanks given by: The Shadowman , GreenLamp , Sociopath , James Comey , Superkamiguru , Avatar Korra , The man
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

(09-01-2012 11:37 AM)Sociopath Wrote:  I believe you mean to say *you* are working within the constraints of the current system.

Goddamnit I mean we can not just turn America into an anarchy in which lazy people are ostracized for the sake of this argument. We can not just pretend that we will become an anarchy or whatever just to make your argument work.

(This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 01:13 PM by IamNoone.)
09-01-2012 01:11 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:If any of what that author is saying is true, then perhaps I'm not like other people.
You probably aren't. Neither am I, and neither are most of the people who come to this site. Which is why what the rant says doesn't and shouldn't apply to us. We are the kinds of people who DO actually learn on our own, and school gets in the way of that, and this is partly the problem.

Now, either I'm completely ignorant of just how stupid other people are, or my suspicion is correct, and the fact that school is so retarded is what's putting people off learning.

But if school ceased to be so retarded, maybe people would actually LIKE going there, and there would be no need for it to be a prison?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
09-02-2012 12:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Superkamiguru
V.R. Offline
Revolutionary

Given 19 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

Honestly I like Maddox better.
09-02-2012 12:49 AM
marktheshark Offline
I BIFFED IT

Given 3 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

What a sad, bitter, vitriol-filled piece of shit if I ever saw one.

[Image: sig.gif]

[Image: boss_dustdragon.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2012 01:47 AM by marktheshark.)
09-02-2012 01:45 AM
V.R. Offline
Revolutionary

(09-02-2012 01:45 AM)marktheshark Wrote:  What a sad, bitter, vitriol-filled piece of shit if I ever saw one.

He's obviously a satirist and internet comedian, but not a very good one. Seems to be heavily influenced by The Best Page in the Universe.
09-02-2012 04:01 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Yeah, he admitted that.

09-02-2012 04:24 AM
RammsteinFearFactory Offline
Celery Addict's metalhead friend

Given 33 thank(s) in 28 post(s)

Another article misinterpreting this site. Most of us are for education reform rather than the abolition of school as a whole. Not as many of us are anarchist either. My political views are Democratic and maybe borderline anarchist, but not full anarchist. This page seems to follow the assumption that the youth is comprised of absolutely nothing but potential anarchists and criminals. Don't know of many 5 year old anarchists, funny. If this is an attempt at satire, it isn't working. Or at least not for me. Did he actually read any debates here?

[Image: adhd_mild.gif]
09-02-2012 09:27 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

He has an account here and posted a few times. Wasn't around all that much though.

Hidden stuff:
09-02-2012 09:40 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

He's apparently for youth rights.

http://www.snipeme.com/archive.php?year=...nt=ageists

http://www.snipeme.com/archive.php?year=..._fallacies

http://www.snipeme.com/archive.php?year=...ate_ageism

09-02-2012 09:41 AM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

(09-01-2012 01:11 PM)IamNoone Wrote:  
(09-01-2012 11:37 AM)Sociopath Wrote:  I believe you mean to say *you* are working within the constraints of the current system.

Goddamnit I mean we can not just turn America into an anarchy in which lazy people are ostracized for the sake of this argument. We can not just pretend that we will become an anarchy or whatever just to make your argument work.

My argument works even without anarchy. What, are you seriously unimaginative enough to believe we can't create a policy of schooling being non-mandatory under our current system?

Hidden stuff:

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
09-02-2012 10:49 AM
 Thanks given by: Avatar Korra
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

We can, but it would have to be in the form of a short term reward, example pay people to go to school, because in all likelihood it will make sense economically to bribe people in the short term to go to school and get good grades and hopefully be educated enough to get a job. Then, we will have people arguing that kids will just go to school for money as if they go to learn in the first place and it wont be allowed to happen, the average person won't recognize paying people to learn in a manner they will be forced to learn and not just sit in school has benefits. So we basically either need to keep the bribery a secret, as it will only need to go to a small fraction of people who just refuse to learn (even if school is totally changed, these people will still exist. Assuming school does not change, this is A lot more people getting paid) and make it appear as if it is not systematic and occurs on an individual basic, or steal the CIA papers on mk ultra to make everyone love learning. We can easily make a policy of non mandatory schooling, it will just be hard to make it effective.

09-02-2012 11:13 AM
V.R. Offline
Revolutionary

Some schools in the USA actually practice or used to practice bribery as a form of keeping kids inside school.

Also MKULTRA was hardly an effective "project". Doping people on acid won't brainwash them, unfortunately.

However, offering people monthly acid rations for regular attendance would increase it drastically.
09-02-2012 11:39 AM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

...wut?

Fuck that,let's just abolish mandatory schooling and not pay anyone anything. Who gives a shit about the outcomes? Kids'll go and learn what they want. Fuck, why even need school? The internet contains more information than all the teachers of school combined. Learn at home.

Hidden stuff:

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
09-02-2012 12:16 PM
 Thanks given by: Avatar Korra
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

The mk ultra thing was sarcastic.

09-02-2012 12:54 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

I still think this is a pretty decent quick-fix to the school problem:
http://forums.school-survival.net/showth...p?tid=9331

Hidden stuff:
09-02-2012 09:27 PM
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

I love the idea, but then you have people saying "Kids will have no friends, nothing to do, no highschool experience, not mature enough to go to college, bla bla bla..."

We really can't do that. If they just changed the curriculum to useful stuff, i would have loved high school.

09-03-2012 02:51 AM
V.R. Offline
Revolutionary

People use the same argument about homeschooling, and that really hasn't stopped lots of people from doing it, so I don't see why such a solution cannot be implemented. Public opinion wouldn't be the main obstacle, the system would.
09-03-2012 03:01 AM
 Thanks given by: Superkamiguru
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

WARNING!!!
WARNING!!!

EPIC RANT!!!

Why is everyone all the sudden in this "Under the Current System" mode??? Just because a huge majority of people have a watered down kind-of, sort-of, not really opinion on everything doesn't mean we have to. The reason why the whole anti-school movement hasn't gone anywhere until maybe the last few years is because all the anti-schoolers did was try to "change" the school system to suck less. People with this attitude about the cause against public schooling or really any political cause are going to get nowhere. It has been only very recently that anti-schoolers have come out of the closet and finally put their foot down on ENDING forced public school; sometimes even unschooling their own kids. Guess what happened???? It is actually now making a difference and shit is finally changing unschooling is starting to become popular little by little. Why??? Because radicalism is how things change and how shit gets done. Did we end slavery in the American South by trying to "change" slavery to make it less bad??? Did we try to "fix" slavery to make it better??? FUCK NO!!!!

Also, may I remind you all that forced public schooling was conceived as a means to brainwash kids into conformity and obedience, and not to educate or help children. This is not a super secret Illuminati TRUSTNO1 conspiracy, this is all fact and common knowledge. If we were all taught history in an unbiased way this would be a 3rd grade level history lesson. How could you possibly fix something that is this outright destructive and wrong?? This is like trying to "change" the mafia into a charity organization.

Seriously, people... I thought this was SS, not the republicans or democrats. Average opinions are for average people, and we are far from normal, average people. Half of the threads we make are about how we are so different from everyone else in one way or another or bitching about how the status quo is so bad and terrible. So why all the sudden are we bowing down to the status quo?? Why are we "working within the current system" when we know it is no use...

Wait a sec... I know why....

Its because "Derp I'm an adult now and having a real opinion is for darkandedgy fags".

/end of rant.

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
09-03-2012 03:29 AM
 Thanks given by: Ky , Sociopath , SoulRiser , The Shadowman , GreenLamp , Superkamiguru , Avatar Korra

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  18 Signs that U.S. Public Schools are Essentially Prisons Christian Hellhound 3 2,800 09-09-2013 04:15 AM
Last Post: silverfang77
  School are prisons and that's a good thing! Reptorian 15 4,327 09-07-2010 03:30 AM
Last Post: HeartofShadows
  Should schools give students incentives for good grades? The Wadekarl 25 10,172 11-19-2007 10:49 AM
Last Post: arthasmenethil