RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back To School: 15 Myths About Education
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

http://www.trutv.com/conspiracy/photos/b...curPhoto=1

15. More Homework Means More Learning
If only we'd read about this back in school. Contrary to popular belief, researchers have found little connection between homework and academic achievement in grade school and only a moderate link between the two in middle school. Luckily, districts around the country are beginning to experiment with homework restrictions on weekends, holidays - even on school nights.

14. Rubber Rooms Still Exists
Teachers accused of incompetency or misconduct in New York City were bounced to "rubber rooms" to await a hearing before they could be fired. Some teachers idled for years, playing cards or working on laptops while collecting full salaries before their hearings. The rubber rooms were disbanded in 2010 when an investigation found more than 600 teachers languishing in them. Following the scandal, the NYC public schools expedited the hearing process and teachers were reassigned to food service or clerical work while they waited.

13. Freedom Of Speech Does Not Apply
While one often hears about censorship lawsuits involving students and their Big Brother schools, the Supreme Court has upheld the right of children to speak out in the classroom. However, your bratty kid still does not have the right to say whatever he wants about gay people or Republicans if it's deemed disruptive to the school.

12. Teachers Live A Life Of Leisure
Teachers are often said to be living large after 3pm and in the summer (on the taxpayer's dime) while failing the nation's kids. In reality, teachers earn lower salaries than similarly educated professionals and many must take summer jobs to make ends meet. Plus, a 2010 survey by Scholastic and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation found teachers work an average 53 hours per week, when factoring in lesson planning and grading.

11. The Unions Are To Blame
Leaders in the school reform movement say self-interested teachers unions are to blame for the state of education. The talking point claims that the unions are only there to tie negotiations up with red tape, ensuring that expensive benefits remain in place and poor teachers stay in the classroom. The unions say their members' benefits are being unfairly targeted to fix state and local budget shortfalls across the country, and point to Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker's bill to dismantle public workers' collective bargaining rights.

10. Kids Shows Are Good For Young Ones
A 2011 study found that four-year-olds had shorter attention spans and less self-control after watching just nine minutes of the antics of SpongeBob Squarepants compared with children who spent the same amount of time drawing or watching the slower-paced educational children's show, Caillou. Nickelodeon contested the study, saying the popular kids show is meant for older children, while other researchers said that the same results would likely apply to any fast-paced show.

9. Schools Are Paid For With Tax Dollars
"The public isn't paying for public education anymore," said Mickey Free, president of Education Funding Partners. With state budgets shrinking, schools districts are filling the funding gap by selling more advertising space in lunchrooms, on lockers, and on school buses. The controversial practice nets strapped schools much-needed money, as well as free supplies and technology, in exchange for marketing to the K-12 demographic. In 2010, the school board in Peabody, Massachusetts even approved selling advertising for local business on permission slips sent home to parents.

8. Most Strip Searches Are OK
Without a clear danger to students, there is no reason school officials should be strip searching kids, according to the Supreme Court. The justices voted 8-to-1 that an Arizona middle school had violated the constitutional rights of a 13-year-old girl when they forced her to undergo the invasive inspection over some — get this — possible ibuprofen on her person.

7. Pink Slime Is Banned
Despite efforts to improve school lunches, we have a long way to go. Every fall, back-to-school time includes a slew of investigative reports about lunchroom roach infestations and failed health inspections. For instance, 17 schools in one Florida county failed to meet basic health codes in 2011. Even worse is the continued use of "lean finely textured beef" (a.k.a. pink slime) that acts as a filler in a lot cafeteria burgers and meatballs.

6. Gym Class Is Pointless
Gym classes are gasping for breath as districts cut physical education to save money or focus more time preparing kids for standardized tests. A recent study found that not one state followed recommended p.e. guidelines for high schoolers. Because gym classes are sometimes cut in order to focus on reading and math, it is ironic that some studies have shown that brains oxygenated through exercise are more likely to retain information.

5. Tenured Teachers Can't Be Fired
No myth about public education stirs up more conflict than the mistaken belief that tenured teachers cannot be fired. The practice conjures images of lousy, kid-loathing teachers sitting behind desks collecting tax-payer-supplied paychecks. Tenure is only a guarantee of due process before being fired and not a guarantee of lifelong job security. Unions say the cushion against being unjustly canned is necessary protection against fickle school board politics and personal vendettas in a profession where results are not easily measured.

4. A Small Percentage Of Kids Are Homeschooled
The number of American kids being homeschooled is skyrocketing, up 74% since 1999. More than 1.5 million students now get their schooling where they live. Over one-third of homeschooling parents cite frustration with crowded schools and uncaring teachers as the main reason they decided to keep their little ones at home. There are so many homeschoolers, in fact, that in some places, "shadow schools" composed of cooperatively-teaching parents have risen up in parks and basements.

3. Summer Vacation Is Necessary
The idea of "summers off" arose in the 1840s when education reformers thought keeping kids out of sweltering summer classrooms could prevent the spread of infectious disease. The average student loses about a month's worth of learning from the so-called "summer slide." President Obama suggested lengthening the school year and each school day, which might close the U.S.'s international achievement gap. (We suspect that air conditioning and penicillin would alleviate any public health concerns.)

2. Teachers Are Sexing Students
You would think the recent spike in teachers having inappropriate sexual relations with students is real because you keep hearing about it. Most recently, Texas teacher Brittni Colleps had sex with five of her of-age male students, including an encounter with four at once that was caught on video and shown during her trial. (Colleps was sentenced to five years in prison for having an inappropriate relationship between a teacher and a student.) Despite this, the rise in stories of this nature appears to be due to media sensationalism and not an actual breakdown in teacher-student "relationships."

1. State Testing Works
So much weight is given to standardized tests for school funding and teacher evaluations these days that educators are taking matters (and number two pencils) into their own hands to guarantee good scores. A groundbreaking Atlanta Journal Constitution investigation found suspicious rises in scores and evidence that both principals and teachers erased wrong answers and filled in the correct answers on state tests in Atlanta and other places.

Previously known as Derchin.
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2012 05:02 AM by Miller0700.)
08-31-2012 05:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
V.R. Offline
Revolutionary

Given 19 thank(s) in 13 post(s)
RE: Back To School: 15 Myths About Education

Personally, I knew most of these. Some are quite obvious (#1 takes the cake in that regard). In fact, I find it hard to believe that #12 is actually a widespread myth. #9 just shows how the system is crumbling right in front of us. #10 is bullshit, much like the media violence thing. Then again, the site in question appears to be a gossip aggregator.

#3, although historically true, is quite cynical. I've seen it several times and the general tone usually sounds like "take that shit away, look at how much they're forgetting," which is immensely hypocritical, as summer vacation is a tradition and a stereotypical cherishment/source of nostalgia and memories. One might argue it is necessary, unless you enjoy an absolutely breathless prison zombification experience.

#2 is the mass media doing what they do best: sensationalism, yellow journalism and fueling moral panics. I'm surprised it's actually such a common myth to warrant such a high spot.
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2012 07:29 AM by V.R..)
08-31-2012 06:06 AM
 Thanks given by: McGee!
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Given 63 thank(s) in 46 post(s)

9. Schools Are Paid For With Tax Dollars
This really surprised me.

"if it's deemed disruptive to the school."
I hate this bullshit so much. It is just a lame excuse to shut kids up who are making halfway decent arguments.

The purpose of life is a life with a purpose
So I’d rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless
I don’t need the circus or the day of national observance
I need you to think for you and stop being a servant
-Immortal Technique, The Martyr, The Martyr
08-31-2012 09:43 AM
 Thanks given by: Superkamiguru
SomeRandomHuman Offline
Pariah

Given 83 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

I agree with #7, caffeteria food SUCKS at my school. It often has mould on it. It is so bad I rarely eat it, and same with the other prople at school whos parents make them eat it. And teachers shout at us for not concentrating at school, its partly to blame on not eating lunch. (and their fucked lectures that come out of their mouths). But for #3, I think summer vacation is a MUST. Give us a break, summer is he best part of my whole life! Whenever I am in school, I think about summer, its what gets me through all the bullshit of school. If summer is gone, my life will be RUINED!
09-02-2012 11:49 AM
V.R. Offline
Revolutionary

(09-02-2012 11:49 AM)SomeRandomHuman Wrote:  If summer is gone, my life will be RUINED!

School isn't life, disillusioned boy. I hope you'll get to understand that.
09-03-2012 03:05 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1468 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

(09-03-2012 03:05 AM)V.R. Wrote:  
(09-02-2012 11:49 AM)SomeRandomHuman Wrote:  If summer is gone, my life will be RUINED!

No, he's saying that if his summer break disappears to force more school in, his life outside school, which would imaginably be considerably more effective and healthy than his life within, would begin to crumble.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
09-03-2012 03:14 AM
V.R. Offline
Revolutionary

That would be true, then.

Thankfully it hasn't come yet to such extremities.
09-03-2012 03:23 AM
The Shadowman Offline
Kane lives!

Given 11 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Interesting article. #15 is pure bull, it is amazing that people believe that #1 is correct, #2 is another example of the sensational bullshit media, and it is (for me, at least) unbelievable that people believe that schools can 'educate' better if summer breaks are cut.

The best bloody cover song I have ever heard in my entire life, period: http://www.youtube.com/user/sbeast64#p/c...yCFuP3rM2w
09-04-2012 05:00 AM
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Summer vacation isnt necessary if you are brainwashed, like in many Asian countries,

09-04-2012 11:57 AM
Katelyn Offline
Rebel

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Number 9 is shocking. I have NO idea how many times I can been told that tax dollars pay for public schooling.

I'm sorry but what language are you speaking? Because it sounds like bullshit.
09-04-2012 12:24 PM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1468 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

(09-04-2012 12:24 PM)Katelyn Wrote:  Number 9 is shocking. I have NO idea how many times I can been told that tax dollars pay for public schooling.
Don't get me (er, this) wrong, tax dollars still go into it. But there are only so many, so schools have found alternative sources of income to compliment said tax dollars.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
09-05-2012 06:24 AM
SomeRandomHuman Offline
Pariah

Given 83 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

(09-03-2012 03:05 AM)V.R. Wrote:  

I know school isnt life, I mean my accual life outside of school will be ruined because I will have no time for it, I will be stuck in hell (aka school). And by the way I am a girl not a boy.
09-06-2012 12:43 PM
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

No you're not. There are no girls on the internet.

09-06-2012 01:33 PM
flann Offline
Revolutionary

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

It doesn't matter; i go to school at 7:30, have 45 minute lunch break, 5 minute class changes - about a hour total break every day

Finish at 3, finish homework at 5-10 PM

And we pay to do that

----------------------------------------------------

My parents work 8-5, 1 hour lunch beak

They get paid to do that.

War is stupid.
09-06-2012 02:36 PM
V.R. Offline
Revolutionary

(09-06-2012 01:33 PM)IamNoone Wrote:  No you're not. There are no girls on the internet.

There are plenty of guys in real life on the internet.
09-07-2012 12:29 PM
тωιѕтє∂ Offline
Revolutionary

Given 34 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

Meh.

Twisted The Twisted Smiley Belongs To Twisted Twisted

"Treat every problem as a challenge, not a dead end. And treat every question like an obstacle worthy of your effort." -my friend's wise Asian father (Sounds better in Chinese)

OBNOXIOUSLY HUGE AND NOTICEABLE
02-09-2013 07:47 AM
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)

15. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, homework is just useless repetition that takes time AWAY from learning.

14. Meh. I don't honestly care.

13. The text of this point contradicts itself. The original author must not know the meaning of the word freedom.

12. Okay, why is this on the list? Who the hell believes that?

11. Teachers are underpaid, but the solution isn't to pay them more, it's to change their job to something neither evil nor impossible.

10. That's right, NEVER watch anything fast paced that keeps you interested. It's SO important to be able to tolerate doing boring things for hours on end.

9. Whoa, something I agree with? #9 must have been written by a different author.

8. The fact that one person thought it was okay gives me SO much trust in school officials.

7. School lunches are garbage. Either they are terribly unhealthy or not large enough portions to feed most stuffed animals.

6. Gym class IS pointless. I don't give half a shit if the "average" person can lift 100 times more weight than I can. I choose not to lift that much weight, problem solved.

5. Maybe, but it seems to me that the longtime teachers are worse than the new ones... gee I wonder why?

4. I'm not sure if they are for or against homeschooling. Homeschooling done wrong (teaching kids a set of values, usually based on a religion, with no context of other beliefs so much as existing) is probably more enjoyable than public school, but the end result is actually much worse.

3. Summer vacation is necessary. If we had year-round school the suicide rate would be much higher. (If we got rid of school altogether, child/teen suicide would all but disappear.)

2. Harrumph. I won't comment on this one because I like neither lying nor being burned alive.

1. I wonder if all the neurons lost to public stupidity go somewhere when they die; and if they do, how big of a brain they would make.

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
02-09-2013 01:15 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I wish I could go back to high school .... James Comey 23 6,000 04-08-2017 05:46 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  Reasons why I hate school and the education system awesomejuan36912 7 9,105 01-03-2017 07:43 AM
Last Post: Superkamiguru
  Einstein Quotes on Education and School chris3991m 1 2,065 09-16-2016 02:32 AM
Last Post: UnicornLionWolf
  I wish I could go back to school ... Desu 26 8,772 05-25-2016 11:53 PM
Last Post: gone
  25.5 Reasons why I hate school and the education system awesomejuan36912 3 2,964 02-01-2016 11:44 PM
Last Post: awesomejuan36912
  I HATE High School and The Education System Rightsmen 13 12,236 12-30-2015 02:08 AM
Last Post: Coolhandluke
  The Hackschooler Goes Back to School. Sort Of. xcriteria 11 6,230 09-06-2015 10:36 AM
Last Post: Sunbourn
  Back to School - Or Not? Five Reasons to Consider Learning Without Schooling xcriteria 0 1,532 05-31-2015 10:23 PM
Last Post: xcriteria
  School Survival / Catalyst / Dialogue on Education hangout running NOW -- join us! xcriteria 0 1,196 03-30-2015 09:27 AM
  Blake Boles Real Education Podcast #1: Ken Danford on Thriving Without School xcriteria 4 2,415 03-20-2015 02:03 PM