RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Law of Attraction thing
thriller222 Offline
Freedom Fighter

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

I was reading about this subject on something called the law of attraction. Basically, it say's that the universe is shaped by your way of thinking. For example, if you tell yourself you are going to be a rich actor in 10 years, then you will be a rich actor in 10 years. Not really the best way to describe it, but I hope you get what I mean. Now, I'm not willing to believe that this belief is true, because it just seems too good to be true. But a lot of people have convinced themselves that this is what life is about. There was some movie a while back talking about it called The Secret. But what I really wanted to know was your opinions on it. I don't have any links right now for you to read, but I can post some later. But if you go reading about it on your own, or just want to respond with your opinion on the subject, please reply. I will be interested to see your opinions on the subject.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2012 03:04 PM by thriller222.)
08-20-2012 03:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
Katelyn Offline
Rebel

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

To me, its just a bunch of bull. It will not just happen because you want it. You have to work hard at what you would like to do, you must earn it (or just get lucky in some cases). Smile

I'm sorry but what language are you speaking? Because it sounds like bullshit.
08-20-2012 04:40 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
RE: This Law of Attraction thing

Quote:It will not just happen because you want it. You have to work hard at what you would like to do, you must earn it (or just get lucky in some cases).
But if you really want it, you're more likely to actually do something to get it.

This Law of Attraction thing can actually be explained (to some extent) by psychology. If you believe you're ugly, you will behave in a way that makes other people perceive you as ugly, and thus you will make it true. If you believe you're going to be rich, you'll act like you already are and people will perceive you that way. In some cases people's perception of you might even lead to some business deal or whatever that makes you rich. If you believe that you're doomed to be poor forever, you'll avoid any opportunity that could change that because you'll believe it's too good to be true. Stuff like that.

I don't really know about the universe changing based on people's thoughts, it's an interesting idea, but I do think people's thoughts definitely do influence a lot (like the stuff I explained above). So in a way, if you do believe something, there's a pretty good chance it'll happen (as long as you don't expect it to just fall in your lap without you having to do anything at all).

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
08-20-2012 09:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Given 63 thank(s) in 46 post(s)

^This

I think if you believe something hard enough, you start subconsciousley making actions to work towards that goal. The brain is a strange and powerful thing, only a few know how to use it to its full extent.
(Shaolin Monks get close)

The purpose of life is a life with a purpose
So I’d rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless
I don’t need the circus or the day of national observance
I need you to think for you and stop being a servant
-Immortal Technique, The Martyr, The Martyr
08-21-2012 05:26 AM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

Given 160 thank(s) in 104 post(s)

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Law_of_attraction

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/The_Secret

It's bullshit. Opinions might matter on one thing but to think it "changes the universe to one's desires" is fucking ridiculous. And easily disproven. Example; If I believe I will transform into a dog (inb4 dogboy) in the next 5 seconds, and it doesn't happen, which it didn't, it disproves this bullshit. So either it needs to reallocate its laws or accept the fact that it doesn't work, which will most likely be glazed over by 'true believers' via either special pleading or selective reporting.

Besides, thought processes are just the allocation of neurons at certain p[laces in the brain to produce certain thoughts. In light of this, what they are really stating is that "Allocating neurons energy output to a certain place will cause changes outside this system."

And Soul, get a grip on reality. Really.

2 moar questions for this already disproven "hypothesis"; 1. Do animals and other beings count, since they have neurons? and 2. what happens if 2 or more wants contradict themselves? For example, what if both me and another person wish we were not going to die, and at the same time, wish eachother would die in a certain way at a certain time. Are we going to die or not? Which one of us would die, if at all? Does the universe "choose" who to listen to and who to not listen to?

But like I said it's all disproven bullshit. Read a damn science book!

Hidden stuff:
TRIGGER WARNING: THIS TRIGGER WARNING CONTAINS TRIGGER WARNINGS!

Dear Tumblrites: Despite your wrongly self-diagnosed PTSD, no line of scientific evidence suggests people can be triggered over the internet. Triggering works through the senses (i.e. smell, taste, touch, vision, hearing.) but it goes through real time; if you're not experiencing it in real life as it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING in your ACTUAL life, you CANNOT be triggered. The only exception to this is if you have a seizure, but then again, that's triggered by epilepsy (i.e. rapidly-changing flashing lights) NOT PTSD. Remembering a bad incident is NOT the same thing as having a flashback. When you remember, you think; when you flashback, you feel.

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

[Image: violator_blackbg_110x32.gif]
Max Stirnir Wrote:"In the time of spirits thoughts grew till they overtopped my head, whose offspring they yet were; they hovered about me and convulsed me like fever-phantasies -- an awful power. The thoughts had become corporeal on their own account, were ghosts, e. g. God, Emperor, Pope, Fatherland, etc. If I destroy their corporeity, then I take them back into mine, and say: "I alone am corporeal." And now I take the world as what it is to me, as mine, as my property; I refer all to myself." The Ego and Its Own, pg. 15
Charles Manson Wrote:“Look down at me and you see a fool;
look up at me and you see a god;
look straight at me and you see yourself”
HeartofShadows Wrote:"Life is nothing more than a druggie trying to get their quick fix of happiness while dealing with the harsh withdrawal of reality"
Osip Mandelstam Wrote:"I divide all of world literature into authorized and unauthorized works. The former are all trash; the latter--stolen air. I want to spit in the face of every writer who first obtains permission and then writes." The Fourth Prose, 1930.
Lukas Foss Wrote:That is why the analogy of stealing does not work. With a thief, we want to know how much money he stole, and from whom. With the artist it is not how much he took and from whom, but what he did with it.
PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
 Pirate Join the crew!Pirate
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2012 06:57 AM by Sociopath.)
08-21-2012 06:55 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

The power of positive thinking - powerful enough to be unexplainable, but not too overpowered.

It's sort of like "you are what you eat" and "problems are only perceived".

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
08-21-2012 08:41 AM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

(08-21-2012 08:41 AM)Doa Wrote:  The power of positive thinking - powerful enough to be unexplainable, but not too overpowered.

[Image: U+WOT+M8+WONT+2+FITE+_1eec97628bb71b7e17...fd118f.jpg]

Nothing is unexplainable.

Hidden stuff:

Dear Tumblrites: Despite your wrongly self-diagnosed PTSD, no line of scientific evidence suggests people can be triggered over the internet. Triggering works through the senses (i.e. smell, taste, touch, vision, hearing.) but it goes through real time; if you're not experiencing it in real life as it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING in your ACTUAL life, you CANNOT be triggered. The only exception to this is if you have a seizure, but then again, that's triggered by epilepsy (i.e. rapidly-changing flashing lights) NOT PTSD. Remembering a bad incident is NOT the same thing as having a flashback. When you remember, you think; when you flashback, you feel.

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

Max Stirnir Wrote:"In the time of spirits thoughts grew till they overtopped my head, whose offspring they yet were; they hovered about me and convulsed me like fever-phantasies -- an awful power. The thoughts had become corporeal on their own account, were ghosts, e. g. God, Emperor, Pope, Fatherland, etc. If I destroy their corporeity, then I take them back into mine, and say: "I alone am corporeal." And now I take the world as what it is to me, as mine, as my property; I refer all to myself." The Ego and Its Own, pg. 15
HeartofShadows Wrote:"Life is nothing more than a druggie trying to get their quick fix of happiness while dealing with the harsh withdrawal of reality"
Osip Mandelstam Wrote:"I divide all of world literature into authorized and unauthorized works. The former are all trash; the latter--stolen air. I want to spit in the face of every writer who first obtains permission and then writes." The Fourth Prose, 1930.
Lukas Foss Wrote:That is why the analogy of stealing does not work. With a thief, we want to know how much money he stole, and from whom. With the artist it is not how much he took and from whom, but what he did with it.
PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
08-21-2012 09:35 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(08-21-2012 09:35 AM)Sociopath Wrote:  
(08-21-2012 08:41 AM)Doa Wrote:  The power of positive thinking - powerful enough to be unexplainable, but not too overpowered.

You can't explain that.

08-21-2012 09:39 AM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

(08-21-2012 09:39 AM)Doa Wrote:  

You can't explain that.
[Image: oreillycantexplain1.jpg]

Hidden stuff:

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
08-21-2012 10:17 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

You can't explain that.

Doa: 1
Socio: 0

edit:
Aya: -1 lrn2read bitch!
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2012 12:40 PM by Aya.)
08-21-2012 11:06 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(08-21-2012 11:06 AM)Aya Wrote:  

You can't explain that.

Desu: 1
Erm...hate to burst your bubble...but I'm Doa. :/

08-21-2012 11:09 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

(08-21-2012 11:09 AM)Doa Wrote:  
(08-21-2012 11:06 AM)Aya Wrote:  

You can't explain that.
Desu: 1
Erm...hate to burst your bubble...but I'm Doa. :/

meh same difference.
08-21-2012 12:39 PM
1312 Offline
It gets better, believe me. :)

Given 44 thank(s) in 30 post(s)

Oh look, another "It doesn't wurkkk!11one" thread. Biggrin
08-21-2012 07:53 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Sociopath, I don't think you actually read my post. Please do so before insulting my 'grip' on reality.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
08-21-2012 09:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Also, this is relevant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-fulfilling_prophecy

Hidden stuff:
08-22-2012 02:36 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(08-22-2012 02:36 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Also, this is relevant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-fulfilling_prophecy
I've been talking about that a lot lately. It's like how people say that "school is a fact of life" Cuckoo , and guess what happens? Yeah.

Other annoying self-fulfilling prophecies are based on age discrimination and the unfairness of life. This amount of negativity will not bring society anywhere Noo

08-22-2012 08:02 AM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

liq3 apparently subscribes to this disproven bullshit belief. I can only hope this just happens to be a long, long, and very bad acid trip. Also, steve pavlina is a con artist and a dumbass, don't listen to him.

Hidden stuff:

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
08-24-2012 12:42 PM
Aya Offline
Banned

(08-24-2012 12:42 PM)Sociopath Wrote:  Also, steve pavlina is a con artist and a dumbass, don't listen to him.

I have to second this. steve Pavlina is quite the shithead.
08-26-2012 12:31 PM
zagix Offline
Banned

Given 32 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Law of attraction is bullshit. (see split thread).
08-26-2012 05:28 PM
Aya Offline
Banned

(08-26-2012 05:28 PM)zagix Wrote:  Law of attraction is bullshit. (see split thread).

No.
08-27-2012 05:51 AM
zagix Offline
Banned

Thought you had a shred of a brain.
Something is a law if:

1. summarize a large collection of facts determined by experiment into a single statement,

2. can usually be formulated mathematically as one or several statements or equation, or at least stated in a single sentence, so that it can be used to predict the outcome of an experiment, given the initial, boundary, and other physical conditions of the processes which take place,

are strongly supported by empirical evidence - they are scientific knowledge that experiments have repeatedly verified (and never falsified). Their accuracy does not change when new theories are worked out, but rather the scope of application, since the equation (if any) representing the law does not change. As with other scientific knowledge, they do not have absolute certainty like mathematical theorems or identities, and it is always possible for a law to be overturned by future observations.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The "Law" of Attraction fulfills none of this. It is not supported by any real data or experiment, does not summarize a large collection of facts, and cannot be used to make mathematical predictions.

It is essentially a pile of bullshit to make people feel that they can achieve something by sitting on their asses. Hint, nothing comes free.

If you mean the law of gravitational attraction, then I have no real qualms.
08-27-2012 06:20 AM
 Thanks given by: Sociopath
Aya Offline
Banned

(08-27-2012 06:20 AM)zagix Wrote:  [Image: 78508970_did-not-read_gif.gif]
08-27-2012 09:10 AM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

I did, and thank you, zagix, that was very helpful.
Related:
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Steve_Pavlina

Hidden stuff:

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
08-27-2012 11:33 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Just came upon this:
The Law of Attraction, for science-heads and Secret-haters

Hidden stuff:
08-28-2012 07:11 AM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

(08-28-2012 07:11 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Just came upon this:
The Law of Attraction, for science-heads and Secret-haters

Pffft, pathetic rationalizations trying to draw a distinction between "different" (i.e. bullshit) and science. I don't know if you're defending this or not, Soul, All I can say is, this thing is bullshit, disproven, and isn't worth going after.

Working hard towards a goal is NOT the same thing as believing it will happen and sit on your ass and do nothing and it will happen for you. The former is an actual method to get shit done, the latter is that attraction fuckshit. There's a massive, distinct difference.

Hidden stuff:

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
08-28-2012 08:33 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

The funny thing is I strongly dislike science, am fully aware that it isn't complete, and have come to the impression that in a few centuries it will be replaced by something else (kind of like magic was with science). This law of attraction thing makes more sense because it's based on the amazing power of positive thinking, which I was forced to read way too much about this summer.

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2012 08:46 AM by Ky.)
08-28-2012 08:46 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

I want to ask why you dislike science.

Anyways...

I don't think in any time that science will be replaced with something "better." It [science] is a method of trying to understand the natural universe. You can't really "replace" it with anything better. Perfected? Yes. Replaced? I don't think so.

It's just like trying to "replace" math or art with something "better," you can shake something that general and incredibly useful off.

Previously known as Derchin.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2012 08:58 AM by Miller0700.)
08-28-2012 08:55 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

- I dislike science mainly because it makes a mockery of math, keeps ending up on the opposite side of a religion argument, and most importantly most of the science teachers I've had are incredibly egotistic or self-centered.
- Science can and will be replaced if it ends up completely refuting itself. Given the principles of quantum physics, it is highly likely that such a refutation will occur. The core laws and theories of science can be turned upside down. Most importantly, history repeats itself, albeit in slightly different fashions. All I know is they won't be calling it "science" in the year 3000 unless they're trying to sound archaic.
- Art can and is often replaced. As for math, I'm sure there will always be a need for basic arithmetic, but it is possible that the cores of math could be abridged as either to have algebra lead away from calculus or arithmetic to lead away from algebra. And, who knows, maybe we'll stop using that crappy base ten.

08-28-2012 09:28 AM
zagix Offline
Banned

Science is a very simple quest. It is to understand how everything around us works in the most accurate possible way. That's the goal of science. I don't see how anyone can possibly have any qualms with that goal.

Now the method that science uses to find how the world works is through repeatable, verifiable experiments. Why? If only one person witnesses something, and it's impossible for it to be repeated, how accurate is the piece of information (what that person observed)? Just look at the testimonies for a murder case. People see different things.

For some information (historical, etc.), the scientific method of analysis doesn't work. But for physical phenomena, it is sufficient and the best way to ensure accuracy.

DOA, science is always moving in a direction towards more and more accurate representation of data. Though core principles may change, the general theories and patterns that are observed are always tending towards a more accurate representation of data. For example, take Newton's laws of gravitation. For large bodies, they are extremely accurate, but a closer measurement is made by Einstein's laws. But both of these methods are FAR more accurate than pulling numbers out of one's ass.
08-28-2012 09:37 AM
 Thanks given by: Sociopath
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

(08-28-2012 09:28 AM)Doa Wrote:  - I dislike science mainly because it makes a mockery of math,

In what sense? Science incorporates a lot from math and vice-versa. I don't see how it makes a "mockery" out of it.

(08-28-2012 09:28 AM)Doa Wrote:  keeps ending up on the opposite side of a religion argument

I've been reading up and researching biology for a few years now. Yes, some of the research explains that religious belief and current studies in the biological field (Specifically Abiogenesis and evolution) contradict, but its not like its spewing "OMG!! Religion and god are evul!! They must be eradicated!!!" It's just that religious belief is not needed because we have far better explanations. Outside of biology, astronomy and maybe geology, the rest of the fields of science are relatively okay.

It's from the religious groups that I've heard and seen that argue for a discontinuation of evolution and that this "opposite side" you speak of rears its head.

(08-28-2012 09:28 AM)Doa Wrote:  and most importantly most of the science teachers I've had are incredibly egotistic or self-centered.

Certainly not mine. Its all a point of perspective.

And again, its only from some religious folks that are frustrated that their particular beliefs aren't taught in schools is that generalization brought up.

A few people shouldn't (and don't) represent the majority in any way.

(08-28-2012 09:28 AM)Doa Wrote:  - Science can and will be replaced if it ends up completely refuting itself.

So science will be replaced by...a better version of science?

(08-28-2012 09:28 AM)Doa Wrote:  The core laws and theories of science can be turned upside down.

By a better version of itself?

Perfecting=/=Refuting

(08-28-2012 09:28 AM)Doa Wrote:  Most importantly, history repeats itself, albeit in slightly different fashions.

During the dark ages was where science was "refuted" (or rather frowned upon), but I don't think history will repeat itself. Too many people rely on science for ordinary life and tasks.

(08-28-2012 09:28 AM)Doa Wrote:  All I know is they won't be calling it "science" in the year 3000 unless they're trying to sound archaic.

And what will replace it, exactly?

(08-28-2012 09:28 AM)Doa Wrote:  Art can and is often replaced

I would love for you to explain to me how and specifically with what will it be replaced with.

(08-28-2012 09:28 AM)Doa Wrote:  As for math, I'm sure there will always be a need for basic arithmetic, but it is possible that the cores of math could be abridged as either to have algebra lead away from calculus or arithmetic to lead away from algebra. And, who knows, maybe we'll stop using that crappy base ten.

I'm going against my gut (otherwise I'd be agreeing with you any other time), but fields of math are too ingrained in one another to simply ignore one part.

Previously known as Derchin.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2012 11:22 AM by Miller0700.)
08-28-2012 11:13 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Law Of Attraction vs Law Of Gravity Ahab 2 1,673 02-19-2009 05:00 PM
Last Post: psychopath