RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Liberals vs Radicals
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)
Liberals vs Radicals

Excerpt from "Deep Green Resistance" by Lierre Kieth, Derrick Jensen, and Aric McBay.

Liberalism Vs. Radicalism

LIBERAL
Individualism
    • basic social unit is individual
    • person is distinct from social group

Idealism
    • attitudes are sources and solutions for oppression
    • thinking as prime mover of social life
    • rational argument/education is engine of social change

Naturalism
    • body exists independently of society/mind
    • gender/race as physical body

Voluntarism
    • social life comprised of autonomous, intentional,self-willed actions

Moralism
    • rightness means of conforming behavior to rules that are abstractly right or wrong
    • equality before the law

RADICAL

Group or Class
    • basic social unit is group
    • person is socially constructed
    • active and critical embrace of group

Materialism
    • concrete systems of power are sources and solutions of oppression
    • thoughts and ideas are only one part of social life
    • organized politcal resistance compels social change

Constructivism
    • reality is socially constructed
    • gender/race are socially real categories, but biology is ideology

Social Determinism
    • social life is comprised of a complex political determinism
    • the oppressed do not make or control conditions
    • but "with forms of power forged from powerlessness, conditions are resisted"

Feminist Jurisprudence
    • Abstract moralism works in the inrests of power
    • material equality
    • while powerlessness is the problem, redistribution of power as currently defined is not its ultimate solution

Thoughts? Comments? I consider myself a radical. It's how I view the world. So If people are often suprised at my standpoints, this chart really can help describe them.

To be an anarchist, is to suffer greatly. To be a black woman is to suffer secretly. To be the earth, is to suffer silently.

I wish no harm on anyone, but those whose harmful ways will not stop without the same harm.

It's time we kill this cancerous system, before it kills us and everything left of gaia. Rise from our immaturity and take back our autonomy!

[Image: 2010-10-04-lost-my-appetite.jpg]
06-01-2012 08:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)
RE: Liberals vs Radicals

I consider myself a radical. To me liberal means searching for government approval and radical means living how you want to live and wishing their wasn't any government.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
06-01-2012 08:54 AM
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Given 63 thank(s) in 46 post(s)

All sociological and psychological evidence points right to Constructivism. Cool chart/list thing.

The purpose of life is a life with a purpose
So I’d rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless
I don’t need the circus or the day of national observance
I need you to think for you and stop being a servant
-Immortal Technique, The Martyr, The Martyr
06-01-2012 11:41 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

I consider myself a radical for capitalism.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
06-01-2012 11:48 AM
batboy138 Offline
MASTA SLAPA

Given 8 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

I'd say i'm a bit of both, mostly radical though.

"There's no 'I' in 'Team'." Yeah, but there is a "me" in "Team" spelled backwards!
06-01-2012 01:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

I have some qualities of a radical, but I'm mostly liberal.

Previously known as Derchin.
06-01-2012 01:21 PM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

(06-01-2012 08:54 AM)TheCancer Wrote:  I consider myself a radical. To me liberal means searching for government approval and radical means living how you want to live and wishing their wasn't any government.

Uhh, lifestyle anarchism is absolutely liberal. Radical does not mean living under the system and trying to live freely, they basically want to organize to change and dismantle systems of power.

Quote:ll sociological and psychological evidence points right to Constructivism. Cool chart/list thing.

Most definitely. The only thing that is strange is how sociopaths actually arose in society, like in rather peaceful societies.

Quote:I consider myself a radical for capitalism.

I always saw you as a devout classic liberal. Being that you are a complete capitalist.

Would you be willing to take down the current capitalist system through resistance and start a new one?

To be an anarchist, is to suffer greatly. To be a black woman is to suffer secretly. To be the earth, is to suffer silently.

I wish no harm on anyone, but those whose harmful ways will not stop without the same harm.

It's time we kill this cancerous system, before it kills us and everything left of gaia. Rise from our immaturity and take back our autonomy!

06-02-2012 06:42 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

(06-02-2012 06:42 AM)SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Wrote:  
Quote:I consider myself a radical for capitalism.

I always saw you as a devout classic liberal. Being that you are a complete capitalist.

Would you be willing to take down the current capitalist system through resistance and start a new one?

I'd be willing to take down a communist system through violent resistance and put capitalism in its place. As of right now, I don't think the complete dissolution of the current system is necessary.

Wikipedia says, "The term political radicalism (or simply, in political science, radicalism) denotes political principles focused on altering social structures through revolutionary means and changing value systems in fundamental ways." I'm not against protest politics, political theater, and (honest) ridicule to get what I want. In actuality, my ideas are very much unaligned with the mainstream, and would most definitely upset the current power structure.

I'm definitely not as radical as a lot of people in the world, but I'm more radical than most people. Here, on this forum, I find myself actually defending the current system against attacks by people, including you, that advocate systems I view as much worse than the current state of affairs. It doesn't mean I don't want change, even change that could be classified as fundamental change. I just don't want to change everything, and I don't view our current world as doomed or even that awful.

Plus, I like the term radical, it has a sort of badass feel.

Of course I am most definitely a classical liberal (although I prefer libertarian in its modern American usage). But you act like liberalism isn't radical. The founders of America were liberal radicals in their day. Liberalism successfully upturned the paradigm of absolute monarchy and mercantilism, replacing it with constitutionalism and free trade.

People like Ayn Rand or F. A. Hayek, two of my biggest intellectual influences, have been alternatively deified and vilified as radical thinkers. Libertarian writer Brian Doherty wrote a history of the modern libertarian movement called Radicals for Capitalism.

I think I'm a radical libertarian (or radical classical liberal).

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
06-02-2012 07:23 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Quote:Uhh, lifestyle anarchism is absolutely liberal. Radical does not mean living under the system and trying to live freely, they basically want to organize to change and dismantle systems of power.

I'd rather think of myself as a lazy anarchist but you can define me however you wish. Your ideas seem like the stuff they teach in sociology in college to me.

Captain Beefheart
06-02-2012 08:50 AM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

Reading the OP, I fit more into the "Liberal" category.

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
06-02-2012 10:56 PM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

(06-02-2012 08:50 AM)TheCancer Wrote:  
Quote:Uhh, lifestyle anarchism is absolutely liberal. Radical does not mean living under the system and trying to live freely, they basically want to organize to change and dismantle systems of power.

I'd rather think of myself as a lazy anarchist but you can define me however you wish. Your ideas seem like the stuff they teach in sociology in college to me.

Cool.

I'm sick of doing nothing. Living and existence is fine. But really, school ruined my motivation to do things. ALl I wanna do is sleep and rest. Like I wanna fucking rebel.

06-03-2012 04:45 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

(06-03-2012 04:45 AM)SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Wrote:  
(06-02-2012 08:50 AM)TheCancer Wrote:  

Cool.

I'm sick of doing nothing. Living and existence is fine. But really, school ruined my motivation to do things. ALl I wanna do is sleep and rest. Like I wanna fucking rebel.

lol

yeah i hear you

this built to spill song kind of sums up those types of feeling for me

http://youtu.be/R30gfVC5nxY

apathy = liberation ???

Hiding

Captain Beefheart
06-03-2012 06:25 AM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

Nah, I feel like apathy only upholds misery. In the words of Rudimentary Peni

Like, i don't give a fuck that I'm a black woman, but really I do give a fuck because of how oppressed and misrepresented we are in society. Like you can't ignore the daily constructed systems of power the dictate our lives.

Also, someone really fucked with my status and put KILL ALL THE WHITEMAN. I don't know how to change it.

06-04-2012 09:50 AM
Slutty Nun Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

I'm a mutual anarchist so does that make me a radical?
06-04-2012 10:48 AM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

(06-04-2012 10:48 AM)Slutty Nun Wrote:  I'm a mutual anarchist so does that make me a radical?

It makes you part of the left.

But really, that has nothing to do with anarchy, it's just about the production of capitol.

Which anarchy is against.

Do you agree with the liberal movement?

06-04-2012 10:56 AM
Slutty Nun Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Shut up
06-04-2012 11:02 AM
batboy138 Offline
MASTA SLAPA

Given 8 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

(06-04-2012 11:02 AM)Slutty Nun Wrote:  Shut up

"There's no 'I' in 'Team'." Yeah, but there is a "me" in "Team" spelled backwards!
06-04-2012 11:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply