RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Metalheads, we are smarter apparently
RammsteinFearFactory Offline
Celery Addict's metalhead friend

Given 33 thank(s) in 28 post(s)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblo...rebrainier

Quote:Why metal fans are brainier
A disproportionate number of bright students listen to metal. No wonder - it's difficult, erudite and still the voice of the outsider.

Bring your daughter to the slaughter (for improved exam results): Metal fans at Ozzfest, Donnington Park.

As Metallica once said, let it be written. It's not the students who love Radiohead that are likely to be the brainiest in their University but the kid down the hall with the Tool t-shirt and a fixation with the floor. A study published today reveals that a disproportionate number of members in the National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youth (a body of 120,000 students which represents the top 5% of academic achievement) list heavy metal - or "metal", as its devotees these days know it - as their favourite kind of music.

Should we be surprised that people who spend a good deal of their day headbanging should be the ones who later in life will get their heads around nuclear fission? Of course we shouldn't. Metal in 2007 no longer concerns itself with silver spandex strides and songs about dragons. Instead it manages to be challenging and uncommercial, exactly the kind of thing a kid who stands apart from the mainstream would find appealing. It's noisier than it ever was and it takes effort to understand it. If you're a Mensa member whose best friend is a book of scientific equations then it's no surprise that you might fall in love with a band whose rhythmic tendencies are the musical equivalent of Einstein's theory of relativity.

The popular perception, though, still suggests otherwise. In my day job as features writer for Kerrang! magazine I've interviewed plenty of metal musicians, and plenty of them have been so stupid that two IQ points less would mean they'd need milking each morning. But plenty more have been just the opposite. What is more striking, though, is the assumption from outside that anyone associated with the genre is brick thick. It doesn't matter that in recent years Atlanta band Mastodon have released an album based on Herman Melville's Moby Dick or that Californian band Thrice have written music inspired by the Thomas Pynchon novel V. What matters is that people who like the Smiths are understood to be smart while people who listen to Slayer are reckoned to be otherwise. Case shut.

This at least proves one thing: that metal is still the music of the underdog. Patronised and insulted, even the National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youth recognises its metal loving alumni suffers "low self esteem" and has "difficulties with friendships and family relationships". Such afflictions can vary from bodies scarred from self-mutilation to simply being a bit rubbish at discos. But the combination of volume and alienation finds friends in lonely places. Popular consensus may have Morrissey or Thom Yorke as poster boys for the lonely hearts' club clientele, but it is metal, and it will always be metal, that is the true voice of the outsider. And it doesn't take a genius to understand that.

[Image: adhd_mild.gif]
06-01-2012 07:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)
RE: Metalheads, we are smarter apparently

WEE I R ZMART NOT STUPID YA
dO aNy SciEnTiSts LiStEn To MeTaL?
06-01-2012 09:04 AM
Slutty Nun Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

What about punk?
06-01-2012 09:30 AM
Electronagon Offline
Cybernet Model 101

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

Because music determines IQ.

Hidden stuff:

[Image: thumbnail.aspx?q=4560839182713275&am...e4e0c18eeb]
Find the I.

[Image: shooting-two-guns.gif][Image: tommy-submachine-gun.gif]

Fight the power! Pirate
06-02-2012 01:41 AM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

What's this intelligence based on? I'm always skeptical when people say someone is smarter than someone else. You don't really know.

No, this is Patrick.
06-02-2012 05:06 AM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

THE SOUND OF THE MORTARS, THE MUSIC OF DEATH! WE'RE PLAYING THE DEVIL'S SYMPHONY! OUR VIOLINS ARE GUNS, CONDUCTED FROM HELL!

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
06-02-2012 12:50 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

"This study proves that..."
No.

And these fuckers have degrees.

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
06-02-2012 10:40 PM
Bell778 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

These studies get stupider every year. It doesn't matter if you listen to metal, classical, rap or any other music, you will not get any smarter, stupider, kinder, more aggressive or anything else. Maybe this affects a small percentage, but I doubt even that.
06-03-2012 05:18 AM
Mælstrom Offline
GIVE ME LEEBERTY, OR GIVE ME DEATH

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

I'd say that music affects your personality and mood much more than that of intelligence. Statistics are usually extorted anyway, and are hardly justified in any case.

If you're reading this, I killed myself.
06-03-2012 05:47 AM
RammsteinFearFactory Offline
Celery Addict's metalhead friend

Given 33 thank(s) in 28 post(s)

(06-03-2012 05:47 AM)Cydonia Wrote:  I'd say that music affects your personality and mood much more than that of intelligence. Statistics are usually extorted anyway, and are hardly justified in any case.

This. Hence why I wrote "apparently" in the title.

[Image: adhd_mild.gif]
06-03-2012 06:52 AM
Nightblade Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

I don't think it's saying the listening to metal makes one smarter, but that smarter people tend to listen to metal. Two very different things.

Of course, this clashes with my experience. Most of the metalheads I know smoke pot and talk about sex all the time. Sometimes, I hate being part of the "metalhead" group.
06-03-2012 09:21 AM
4r4b7 Away
im not banned

Given 16 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

who cares?!

Hidden stuff:

06-03-2012 10:15 PM
Mælstrom Offline
GIVE ME LEEBERTY, OR GIVE ME DEATH

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Clearly the people who posted in this thread.

If you're reading this, I killed myself.
06-03-2012 10:48 PM
EntityCubed Offline
Back In Black

Given 39 thank(s) in 27 post(s)

I'm a metalhead.
Feel so superior.

"It does a fool no good to spend money on an education. Why? Because he has no common sense."-George Bush
05-15-2013 08:32 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

I listen to metal, but wouldn't consider myself a metalhead.(I rarely like specifying myself into any category)

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2013 10:56 AM by brainiac3397.)
05-15-2013 10:56 AM
bronzebird Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Mathtallica: Master of Numbers

I like cheese.
10-24-2013 10:26 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

I thought scientists were bassheads...

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
10-24-2013 01:52 PM
vonunov Offline
Badgrr

Given 186 thank(s) in 126 post(s)

Wasn't there a thread here a long time ago about how people who listen to trance music were more intelligent, and we were all having a nice big wank over that? Like others have said, these "studies" are almost invariably shoddy and probably don't mean much at all.
10-25-2013 03:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

And most men have giant penises according to one study(with data gathered by self-test of the person from whom the data was collecfed from. Wait a minute...so these men obsessed with having a big penis got to fill in the blank themselves?)

Best to be a basshead though...because sooner or later that bass will dislocate all your organs.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
10-25-2013 04:33 AM