RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Movie "The Avengers" raises controversy about adopted children
Luizao876 Offline
Everyone's favorite Huezillian

Given 22 thank(s) in 17 post(s)
Movie "The Avengers" raises controversy about adopted children

Quote: The scene: Thor, the blond hero, tries to defend the villain Loki, saying he is his brother. Black Widow, a former villain, tells him that he killed 80 people in two days. "He's adopted," says Thor.

The above passage, from the film "The Avengers" (highest-grossing in Brazil), has been seen by more than 8 million people since its debut here in 27/4.

It is less than one minute in two hours and a half in which the heroes from the Marvel comic display their superpowers. It could pass unnoticed amid the explosions and intergalactic spandex outfits of Scarlett Johansson (Black Widow).

But Thor's comments came to prominence when in the U.S, Jamie Berke launched an online petition for Marvel (group company Disney, producer of the film) to apologize for having insulted the formal foster children and their parents.

The argument, echoed by NGOs pro-adoption, is that the scene spreads prejudice, making an immediate association between having been adopted and being "evil." And in a film for children and adolescents.

To make matters worse, the audience laughs at the scene. Who has a personal history with adoption, of course, is not amused.

"Everyone laughed, but for me the movie was over," says Barbara Maria Toledo, president of the National Association of Support Groups for Adoption. She was watching the movie with four of her five children (two adopted).

Toledo heard of the petition in the U.S. after going to the movies. "We ask our board to make a legal letter, we just need to know to whom to forward."

The association headed by Toledo has made a representation against the Globo TV in the prosecution because of the character Tereza Cristina, played by Christiane Torloni the soap opera "Thin Plate", which ended in March.

"In the novel, the villain killed so they do not discover that she had been adopted. Having been adopted and being daughter [biological] of a woman who was mad justified their evil. It is tied to bias of the idea of ​​genetic offspring."

The result of the action was a campaign for the adoption aired by Globo and starring Torloni.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2012 04:16 AM by Luizao876.)
05-30-2012 04:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)
RE: Movie "The Avengers" raises controversy about adopted children

Watch Now Movie Online THE AVENGERS Good Film for Make Many Jolly Instances
05-30-2012 04:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

lool fucking ridiculous

No, this is Patrick.
05-30-2012 04:25 AM
Sharpie Offline
Banned

Given 169 thank(s) in 113 post(s)

Shit, are you fucking serious? People will fucking find ANYTHING to complain about these days!

This actually made me fucking rage.

BOO FUCKING HOO, YOU'RE ADOPTED, THEY MADE A JOKE AND YOU'RE SOOOO OFFENDED!

Get the fuck over it. Seriously. It's a fucking joke, maybe if you learned to find humor in your life/mistakes/misfortunes then you'd be a happier person and enjoy your life a tiny bit more.

Fuck, people are offended by fucking anything and I don't understand how someone can legitimately be offended by such insignificant things, are you that much of a little bitch?

/rant
05-30-2012 04:26 AM
fish20 Offline
Penguins are birds

Given 32 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

What? It was a joke, Thor was saying hes his brother, and then when black widow said that hes like "Well hes adopted" as in "He doesn't share the same genes as I do." Its not because hes adopted, its just that he's not his real brother (when he actually is its a joke get it?). You see its a joke and its not bashing adopted kids saying it's evil, what are you retarded? It's bashing Loki and only Loki, because he killed 8 million people and Thor was like "Umm well he is not my brother LOL." Some people just can't understand the English language these days so I guess you can write a petition about a joke you put way out of context.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2012 04:27 AM by fish20.)
05-30-2012 04:26 AM
 Thanks given by: Superkamiguru2
Bell778 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

This adoption crap again? I thought we got over this after that news report on portal 2.
05-30-2012 05:18 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

(05-30-2012 04:26 AM)Sharpie Wrote:  Shit, are you fucking serious? People will fucking find ANYTHING to complain about these days!

This actually made me fucking rage.

BOO FUCKING HOO, YOU'RE ADOPTED, THEY MADE A JOKE AND YOU'RE SOOOO OFFENDED!

Get the fuck over it. Seriously. It's a fucking joke, maybe if you learned to find humor in your life/mistakes/misfortunes then you'd be a happier person and enjoy your life a tiny bit more.

Fuck, people are offended by fucking anything and I don't understand how someone can legitimately be offended by such insignificant things, are you that much of a little bitch?

/rant

This
Ugh fucking first world problems.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
05-30-2012 05:28 AM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS!

I love these "advocates" though. I like how she speaks for ALL adopted people. I can bet the majority of those adopted at the least chuckled at that comment. Should people with long hair be insulted because Stark made an insult based on Loki's long hair?

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
05-30-2012 08:15 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

I actually enjoy these threads now. It makes me feel highly evolved.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
05-30-2012 02:51 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

No one can take a joke!

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
05-30-2012 05:53 PM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

Loki isn't even Thor's brother in canon mythology. He might be Odin's, but even that's questioned.

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
05-31-2012 12:41 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Oh lol. People bitch at the silliest things. Ironically, Loki does what he does precisely BECAUSE he's adopted, but that's because of his own choices in the matter. Doesn't say jack squat about adoption in general. Laugh

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
05-31-2012 01:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

Faby: It's a mythology, it's expanded upon, interpreted and evolves. Marvel Norse mythology is very different. He is Thor's adopted brother.

As it stands, holy fuck. Come on. I had a good laugh at "Ain't No Homos Gettin' to Heaven". Adopted people don't have it that hard.

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
05-31-2012 10:21 PM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Adopted people don't have it bad at all unless they're adopted by shitty parents.

No, this is Patrick.
06-01-2012 06:06 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

(06-01-2012 06:06 AM)Stadium Wrote:  Adopted people don't have it bad at all unless they're adopted by shitty parents.

Yeah..
My neighbor got adopted by this wealthy couple and he lives a great life and has an inheritance.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
06-01-2012 07:06 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A 13-Year-Old's Slavery Analogy Raises Some Uncomfortable Truths in School thesupremeanarchist 11 7,474 08-03-2015 12:53 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397