RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Individualism in a hard determinist world.
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)
Individualism in a hard determinist world.

Look motherfuckers. Everyone has their own "destiny". I sincerely believe that. Whatever caused the big bang happened, then the big bang happened, and physics and the laws of science were already in effect. The laws of physics dictated where each and every little spec of matter ended up. Matter flew across the fucking universe, being slowed by gravity, until it ended up where it is today. Eventually, shit came along and ended up in such a position that it formulated life. That life slowly evolved. It evolved into us. It evolved into you. Due to the laws of physics, chemistry, and host of other scientific principles and laws, we ended up in the position we are in today. The chemicals in your brain react with each other to dictate how you act. You are the chemicals in your brain. When you think, it's just chemical reactions guided by the laws of the universe.

It's cause, and effect. Cause, and effect. Things happen for a reason, and that reason is science. The methods in which the universe works inevitably end in what's going on right now. Things necessarily had to be this way. So, since we are all just fucking robots, where does that put individualism? Well, I think it enforces it.

Instead of being unsure of ourselves, we can now be confident in the fact that we are somebody who will move through life as a defined person. We are different from every other person in that each of us has our own journey we will take. Who cares if that journey is decided by science, or a god? It's all the same to me. It all means free will is an illusion. But it also means we are individuals who have distinct and different personalities. Distinct and different paths in life. Our consciousness gives us the ability to assign meaning to our lives, even though it's only subjective.

So, what does this imply for all of us? It implies a lot, and perhaps this input (My little essay here) will change the chems in your brain react. Perhaps, since the beginning of the universe, I was destined to write this, and it was destined to change your chemicals and in effect change you a little. Change your course. Anyway, the point is, we are all tailor fucking made to follow our own fucking paths, and the inputs from around us, and the configuration of the matter, and the amounts of certain chemicals in our brain dictate this. In effect, we are all INDIVIDUALS with our own fucking lives and our own fucking paths. (I'm getting repetitive trying to get out what's on my mind.)

So basically, everyones fucking special. (We're all "mindless" robots, but still.) We're all fucking special. You need to separate yourself from other people. Know that you are different from others. Necessarily so. Separate yourself from others. Don't be a copy cat. You cannot be the best copycat in the world. You cannot copy someone else and do it better. The only thing you can be best at is being yourself. Following your own line in life. Being who you are to the best of your ability. Do your own fucking thing. Invest time in yourself, figure out who the fuck you are instead of spending so much time with other people. Stop studying others and study yourself. Find out who YOU are, and follow your own fucking path nig.

Does this shit make sense? Be your own person. Find out who you are. It's your fucking destiny, it's your fucking path in life. Do what you have to do to be the best person you can be. (Don't let the idea of determinism force you into an existential halt. Yes, everything is going to happen the way it's going to happen, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen without effort.)

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
05-29-2012 07:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sharpie Offline
Banned

Given 169 thank(s) in 113 post(s)
RE: Individualism in a hard determinist world.

Mindfuck.

Reading this has changed the way I view things, this is some good shit right here.
For the past year I've been less concerned about other people and more concerned about finding out more about myself. You think you know yourself but in reality you don't know as much as you think you do.. If that makes sense? I dunno, it makes sense in my head.
05-30-2012 04:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

(05-29-2012 07:16 PM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  So basically, everyones fucking special. (We're all "mindless" robots, but still.) We're all fucking special.

[Image: special-ed.jpg]
05-30-2012 05:01 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

(05-30-2012 05:01 AM)Aya Wrote:  
(05-29-2012 07:16 PM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  So basically, everyones fucking special. (We're all "mindless" robots, but still.) We're all fucking special.

Are you high absent?
Still the speech is a bit comforting to anybody who is too tied up by the seriousness of reality(people who believe they have to get some fancy job, people who believe they have to please others or something like that to have a good life).

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
05-30-2012 05:33 AM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

Given 160 thank(s) in 104 post(s)

Next time you're feeling down about yourself, just remember this:

"You're special...just like everybody else."

If everyone is supposedly special, that places no value on specialty, and thus, noone is actually special at all.

And perhaps, there is something comforting about that...

Hidden stuff:
TRIGGER WARNING: THIS TRIGGER WARNING CONTAINS TRIGGER WARNINGS!

Dear Tumblrites: Despite your wrongly self-diagnosed PTSD, no line of scientific evidence suggests people can be triggered over the internet. Triggering works through the senses (i.e. smell, taste, touch, vision, hearing.) but it goes through real time; if you're not experiencing it in real life as it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING in your ACTUAL life, you CANNOT be triggered. The only exception to this is if you have a seizure, but then again, that's triggered by epilepsy (i.e. rapidly-changing flashing lights) NOT PTSD. Remembering a bad incident is NOT the same thing as having a flashback. When you remember, you think; when you flashback, you feel.

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

[Image: violator_blackbg_110x32.gif]
Max Stirnir Wrote:"In the time of spirits thoughts grew till they overtopped my head, whose offspring they yet were; they hovered about me and convulsed me like fever-phantasies -- an awful power. The thoughts had become corporeal on their own account, were ghosts, e. g. God, Emperor, Pope, Fatherland, etc. If I destroy their corporeity, then I take them back into mine, and say: "I alone am corporeal." And now I take the world as what it is to me, as mine, as my property; I refer all to myself." The Ego and Its Own, pg. 15
Charles Manson Wrote:“Look down at me and you see a fool;
look up at me and you see a god;
look straight at me and you see yourself”
HeartofShadows Wrote:"Life is nothing more than a druggie trying to get their quick fix of happiness while dealing with the harsh withdrawal of reality"
Osip Mandelstam Wrote:"I divide all of world literature into authorized and unauthorized works. The former are all trash; the latter--stolen air. I want to spit in the face of every writer who first obtains permission and then writes." The Fourth Prose, 1930.
Lukas Foss Wrote:That is why the analogy of stealing does not work. With a thief, we want to know how much money he stole, and from whom. With the artist it is not how much he took and from whom, but what he did with it.
PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
 Pirate Join the crew!Pirate
05-30-2012 05:38 AM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Didn't read.But I used to be a individualist anarchist. Then I realized how much of a fucked up immature liberal ideology it really is.

Firstly, the individual being above society, is bullshit. You know we all need to be united. Selfishness is not fit for survival. Communities thrive and stay peaceful through collectivism and cooperation.

To be an anarchist, is to suffer greatly. To be a black woman is to suffer secretly. To be the earth, is to suffer silently.

I wish no harm on anyone, but those whose harmful ways will not stop without the same harm.

It's time we kill this cancerous system, before it kills us and everything left of gaia. Rise from our immaturity and take back our autonomy!

[Image: 2010-10-04-lost-my-appetite.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2012 06:31 AM by SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT.)
05-30-2012 06:28 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

(05-30-2012 06:28 AM)SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Wrote:  Didn't read. But I used to be a individualist anarchist. Then I realized how much of a fucked up immature liberal ideology it really is.

Firstly, the individual being above society, is bullshit. You know we all need to be united. Selfishness is not fit for survival. Communities thrive and stay peaceful through collectivism and cooperation.

That explains it...

Previously known as Derchin.
05-30-2012 09:27 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

(05-30-2012 06:28 AM)SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Wrote:  Didn't read.But I used to be a individualist anarchist. Then I realized how much of a fucked up immature liberal ideology it really is.

YOU ARE COMMUNIST LOL
05-30-2012 09:37 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

I honestly see no scientific reason why there is any special thing inside us that gives us free will. However, it's a pretty cool idea if you think about it, and I want to believe in it. I also like the Rush song "Freewill", but that's another topic entirely.

I think the point is that we act as if we have some sort of will, even if we don't really "choose," our we still make choices. I think it's also time to state something. We are those chemical reactions, and we, as those chemical reactions, do make choices. In other words, our minds and bodies are not separate from our wills, if you understand where I'm coming from.

What I'm trying to say is that, it doesn't matter if the world is deterministic to our everyday lives. The day to day dynamics of living, choice making, and whatnot are the same whether one philosophical school or another is right. So I'll just do what I've been doing, since nothing has changed.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
05-30-2012 02:25 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

^ Yeah, I'd agree completely except for this: http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110831/f...7023a.html

Which I brought up in philosophy class and ended up arguing over for like two or three class periods.

The gist of that article is this:

Quote:The experiment helped to change John-Dylan Haynes's outlook on life. In 2007, Haynes, a neuroscientist at the Bernstein Center for Computational Neuroscience in Berlin, put people into a brain scanner in which a display screen flashed a succession of random letters1. He told them to press a button with either their right or left index fingers whenever they felt the urge, and to remember the letter that was showing on the screen when they made the decision. The experiment used functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to reveal brain activity in real time as the volunteers chose to use their right or left hands. The results were quite a surprise.

"The first thought we had was 'we have to check if this is real'," says Haynes. "We came up with more sanity checks than I've ever seen in any other study before."

The conscious decision to push the button was made about a second before the actual act, but the team discovered that a pattern of brain activity seemed to predict that decision by as many as seven seconds. Long before the subjects were even aware of making a choice, it seems, their brains had already decided."

Blog I post to now:

05-31-2012 05:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

(05-30-2012 05:01 AM)Aya Wrote:  

Lol. Meaning while we are all being controlled by the laws of the universe, namely chemistry and physics, we can take "comfort" in the fact that none of us are on the exact same course as another. "Special" in that we're all moving along a slightly different course.

Blog I post to now:

05-31-2012 05:57 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

(05-31-2012 05:54 AM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  ^ Yeah, I'd agree completely except for this: http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110831/f...7023a.html

Which I brought up in philosophy class and ended up arguing over for like two or three class periods.

The gist of that article is this:

Quote:The experiment helped to change John-Dylan Haynes's outlook on life. In 2007, Haynes, a neuroscientist at the Bernstein Center for Computational Neuroscience in Berlin, put people into a brain scanner in which a display screen flashed a succession of random letters1. He told them to press a button with either their right or left index fingers whenever they felt the urge, and to remember the letter that was showing on the screen when they made the decision. The experiment used functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to reveal brain activity in real time as the volunteers chose to use their right or left hands. The results were quite a surprise.

"The first thought we had was 'we have to check if this is real'," says Haynes. "We came up with more sanity checks than I've ever seen in any other study before."

The conscious decision to push the button was made about a second before the actual act, but the team discovered that a pattern of brain activity seemed to predict that decision by as many as seven seconds. Long before the subjects were even aware of making a choice, it seems, their brains had already decided."

My mind is part of me, therefore I make the choice (in a way).

05-31-2012 11:48 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

I guess that still does make sense.

Blog I post to now:

05-31-2012 12:09 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

I honestly think a more pertinent question is rather the will exists at all. It is from there that we decide if it is truly unencumbered or, if not, what kind of forces act upon it.

05-31-2012 12:13 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The 10 statements and central line of individualism .xstrike-anywherex. 5 5,716 11-18-2007 08:14 AM
Last Post: randyhart