RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Australians Prepare for Rollout of Full Body Scanners in July 2012
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)
Australians Prepare for Rollout of Full Body Scanners in July 2012

Seems like the australian government is learning from the USA.
Wonder when they will get their own TSA.

Quote:As expected, the Australian Federal Government has just approved the roll-out of compulsory full body scanning for passengers passing through Australia’s international airports. The bill also enables future governments to update the technology (without restriction), and prohibits images or personal information from being stored or transmitted.

Australia’s minister for Transport, Anthony Albanese, has been quoted as saying “The millimetre-wave body scanners are perfectly safe and one body scan is comparable to passive exposure to a mobile phone used several metres away”.

Unfortunately, Mr Albanese is not only wrong, but his statements are also misleading.

There are emerging reports that millimetre-wave body scanners may have the potential to damage human DNA. A study conducted by Boian S. Alexandrov (and colleagues) at the Center for Nonlinear Studies at Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico showed that these terahertz waves could “…unzip double-stranded DNA, creating bubbles in the double strand that could significantly interfere with processes such as gene expression and DNA replication”.

Considering that the minister was quoted as saying “You can get more radiation sitting on a plane than you will going through one of these body scanners”, his statements demonstrate not only his incompetence, but also the carelessness and contempt that the Australian Government has for its citizens and visitors to Australia.

These invasive body scanners also have the potential to affect medical equipment of passengers who are forced to walk through them. In 2008, an unsuspecting Colorado teenager (Savannah Barry) had her diabetic insulin pump damaged when she was forced to walk through millimetre-wave body scanners in Salt Lake City.

The amendment to the aviation transport security act also includes the ‘exclusion’ of Australian federal police from manning Airports in the Northern Territory. The federal government explains that “the decision is in line with the Government’s aviation security objective of a layered and proportionate response to threats and aligning resources against threat profile” and that “the decision also reflects the fact that Alice Springs Airport does not receive any international flights and its total passenger figures are substantially less than other major airports”. So, therefore, if these so-called “terrorists” were any smart, then a simple Google search (or by reading this article) would provide them with the necessary knowledge to stage an attack from Darwin.

There are also claims that millimetre-wave body scanners don’t even have the capability to detect most common objects and instruments that are ordinarily used in explosive devices. Tests by scientists revealed that millimetre-wave scanners picked up shrapnel and heavy wax and metal, but plastic, chemicals and liquids were missed. It was also revealed that if a material is low density, such as powder, liquid or thin plastic — as well as the passenger’s clothing — the millimetre waves pass through and the object is not shown on screen. (Source: Are airport scanners just a scam? (2010, Jan 04). Belfast Telegraph, pp. 14).

Body scanning technology will not improve the safety of traveling passengers; it will slow down processing times and will impede on the privacy of travellers. To make matters even worse, the technology behind millimetre-wave body scanners is still considered flawed and has not been fully tested. In German trials of the body-scanning technology, false alarms were recorded and sweaty armpits were among the culprits, slowing down departure lanes. Germany ditched the scanners after too many false alarms but they are in use in some parts of Europe and the US. (Hepworth, A. (2012, Apr 24). Sweaty armpits trigger alarm. The Australian, pp. 7)

The resistance from within the aviation industry in Australia has also been growing at a rapid pace. Pilots of Virgin Australia have started to lobby the federal government to "exempt flight and cabin crew from full body scanners because of worries about their efficiency and the long-term health effects of repeated exposure to the devices". The Virgin Pilot Group (VIPA) has argued that "evidence about low-level radio frequency radiation is not clear-cut, and pilots should have limits on exposure in much the same way health workers do." They went on to argue that “Over the years there have been reports from laboratories in North America and Europe that have shown biological effects after the exposure of animals and animal tissue to relatively low levels of radio frequency radiation.” (Creedy, S. (2012, May 11). Health fears spark call for pilots to sidestep scanners. The Australian, pp. 36)

No precise date has been set in July 2012 for the full deployment of the millimetre-wave body scanners. This therefore presents an opportunity from the anti-globalists and activist movements to begin lobbying the Australian Federal Government to stop the deployment of millimetre-wave body scanners.

Every day our privacy, freedoms and rights are being tested and taken away. The Australian community must stand-up to this Federal ‘Globalist’ Government and not allow the deployment of millimetre-wave body scanners at Australian airports.

http://www.activistpost.com/2012/05/aust...-full.html

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
05-28-2012 12:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mælstrom Offline
GIVE ME LEEBERTY, OR GIVE ME DEATH

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)
RE: Australians Prepare for Rollout of Full Body Scanners in July 2012

Is Efs' body ready?

If you're reading this, I killed myself.
05-28-2012 01:16 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

(05-28-2012 01:16 PM)Cydonia Wrote:  Is Efs' body ready?

Almost added an u mad Ef to the opening post but decided against it.

image hosting jpg
05-28-2012 01:18 PM
Mælstrom Offline
GIVE ME LEEBERTY, OR GIVE ME DEATH

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Anyway HoS, did you ever hear of the scanners that Boston Dynamics and a few other companies are working on? They're supposed to be retinal and MRE scanners that can detect signs of agitation, stress and ulterior motives by searching the brainwaves and eye strain of people in airports. They have the beginnings of a prototype, and expect it to be finished by the latter part of the decade.

If you're reading this, I killed myself.
05-28-2012 01:27 PM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

Why is this necessary? I don't exactly keep on top of the terrorist news but I haven't heard shit about the Aussies having terrorist problems.

Also, a fun little tid bit. There have never been any terrorist attacks on planes originating in the U.S. other than 9/11.
05-28-2012 01:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

(05-28-2012 01:27 PM)Cydonia Wrote:  Anyway HoS, did you ever hear of the scanners that Boston Dynamics and a few other companies are working on? They're supposed to be retinal and MRE scanners that can detect signs of agitation, stress and ulterior motives by searching the brainwaves and eye strain of people in airports. They have the beginnings of a prototype, and expect it to be finished by the latter part of the decade.

Believe I have(somebody I talk to on IM I believe told me about it).
Hate to see the future at this point as it sounds like some minority report type stuff.

image hosting jpg
05-28-2012 01:35 PM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

HAI EFS AUSFAILIA TAKING HINTS OF AMERIFAIL

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
05-28-2012 05:07 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

inb4 lady gets scanned with dildo her her pussay

THIS IS SO COOOL LIKE FROM THE MOVIES YEAHHHHHHHHHH

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
05-29-2012 07:30 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

who cares
05-29-2012 10:49 PM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

yeah who cares about the government eroding away at your civil liberties lmao
05-29-2012 11:09 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

It's not that big of a deal.

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
05-29-2012 11:18 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

Lol.yet.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
05-30-2012 01:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Haha I remember that talk psychopath was shitting out when the censorship thing happened and now who cares.
Hahaha yeah its not important..

image hosting jpg
05-30-2012 05:31 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  School districts prepare for boycotts of Common Core tests (NY) James Comey 7 2,853 03-27-2017 12:26 PM
Last Post: DreamRebel