RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Blog Thread
NightThoughts Offline
Night changes the way you think.

Given 12 thank(s) in 5 post(s)
RE: Blog Thread

Of course he is

I'd put a pithy quote here, but I'd rather speak for myself.

Superpowers aren't just flying and lifting several tons. Whatever you're good at, that's your superpower. Learn to deal with it.
04-16-2012 07:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NightThoughts Offline

Hopefully everyone is having a good April vacation. Thought that I might as well have a little activity on here, and so I aimlessly began this post. Apparently my mind has become suicidal without my knowledge, as the question "What will people say about me when I die?" popped into my head.

But now my insatiable curiosity has been aroused, and I ask whoever might be reading this "What would you say about me if I die?". Honestly, I'm wondering.

Superpowers aren't just flying and lifting several tons. Whatever you're good at, that's your superpower. Learn to deal with it.
04-20-2012 07:04 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)

they prolly be all sad and shit
04-20-2012 08:36 AM
Mælstrom Offline
GIVE ME LEEBERTY, OR GIVE ME DEATH

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Well, I don't know you personally, but from reading what you've posted here... I'd say that you were brave. Brave for standing up to the schooling system, of course. Also, I'd note your intelligence, prose, and coolness, as lame as that last one sounds. If you actually killed yourself, I'd be really sad to hear that.

If you're reading this, I killed myself.
04-20-2012 08:39 AM
NightThoughts Offline

Thanks for that. I doubt I'd kill myself, as even needles scare me and I can't tie a knot to save my life. I'm not actually planning to commit suicide, my brain just conjured the question randomly.

04-22-2012 12:25 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

I'm sure everyone asks that question to themselves at one time or another, even if its just in passing or deep thinking.
04-22-2012 02:56 AM
NightThoughts Offline

You know, every time I see that you've made the most recent post in one of my subscribed threads, I start to worry.

04-23-2012 09:02 AM
Luizao876 Offline
Everyone's favorite Huezillian

Given 22 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Well, I'm posting right now, just to get you comfortable.
04-23-2012 09:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

cut me deep :C
04-23-2012 09:30 AM
NightThoughts Offline

Anyone here an anime fan? Myself, I'm currently obsessed with an anime I picked up at Barnes & Noble the other day called "Rosario+Vampire". Another I favor is about animal/human hybrids called +Anima, but I'm not entirely sure what that series is titled and I don't want to look like a fool by getting it wrong.

04-24-2012 08:51 AM
Mælstrom Offline
GIVE ME LEEBERTY, OR GIVE ME DEATH

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

I like Ghost in The Shell and Planetes.

If you're reading this, I killed myself.
04-24-2012 11:00 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Trigun, cowboy bebop, Big-O(big mind fuck) are all good animes.
04-24-2012 11:31 AM
NightThoughts Offline

So...good weekend? Bad weekend? I can't really decide myself. My dreaded English class is reading "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer", in which he wishes that the weekends didn't exist because they made going back to school feel worse by comparison. Beginning to agree with Tom now...

05-01-2012 05:37 AM
NightThoughts Offline

Lucky me, I'm exiled from the forums for the weekend. My parents decided to hold a dinner party, and a few teenagers (both significantly older than I) appeared just as I got in the shower, which I had been told to do anyways. Because I wasn't downstairs right as they arrived, I am currently banned from the computer for the weekend, except for homework purposes.

On the bright side, I learned that TV screens should only be cleaned with a special microfiber cloth when I mistakenly attempted to use Endust and a dust rag on our TV screen. Narrowly avoided having my head taken off there.

05-06-2012 09:40 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

your parents are fucking nazis
05-06-2012 10:23 AM
NightThoughts Offline

Eh, it turned out that my mom was just in a rush because we had to get so much stuff ready and there had been a belated birthday sleepover (which are held more for the benefit of my sister than for me) the night before. Also, I hadn't asked permission. I ended up getting computer back after the dinner party had finished.

Everything worked out fine, since I got to catch up on my favorite shows.

05-08-2012 05:01 AM
NightThoughts Offline

Unfortunately for me, I need to have three online citations for a paragraph on the poem "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou. Not unfortunate in and of itself, but I can't find any.

If anyone knows where to look for some sites that analyze the poem, I would be greatly obliged.

05-08-2012 10:00 AM
The Offline
The; Captain Obvious

Given 9 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

Are these the only posts you make?

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\
05-08-2012 10:01 AM
NightThoughts Offline

Depends on how much time I have in my day.

05-09-2012 05:03 AM
NightThoughts Offline

Today we had the dress rehearsal for the school talent show. My morning was kind of rushed, so I forgot to grab my own cellphone, which I hardly use. As soon as I finished my performance, I went to the school phone and called the house number. No one was home, so I tried my mother's phone number. As it occasionally does, the phone spazzed out and called some guy with an unpronounceable name. Mystified, I tried to recall my dad's number and failed. I then waited for about a half hour and called the home phone number again. No answer. I decided to try again in a half hour, so I did. No answer.

Because I couldn't reach my dad, he never came to pick me up for my piano lesson. Although, one might think that after a certain length of time he probably could have just come over and got me, regardless. In any event, it became my fault (I'll accept responsibility, but hasn't he ever forgotten something?). Instead of doing my homework upon my arrival at home, I had to write out both my parents' phone numbers on every line of two pieces of lined paper, front and back. One page for each phone number.

Needless to say, I am quite irritated. Honestly, was it really my fault that I forgot a series of numbers? I rarely need to call his cell anyways! I once read somewhere that when adults meet experiences, they have experience and intelligence to help them, but kids only have intelligence and adults sometimes forget that. A wise statement, but I'd like to change "sometimes" to "often". Just because adults have had years to learn how to perform tasks and figure out the various aspects of life, it doesn't mean that minors (teens and children) have! We haven't lived as long, so that kind of stuff isn't ingrained in our brains. Kids aren't stupid, nor unobservant, but we have not had decades to learn how to clean placemats! (Just an example; my mother was talking to my brother about that lately)

Call me stupid/forgetful, or whiny, but menial tasks that take the place of previously existing responsibilities are very aggravating to me.

05-18-2012 08:22 AM
NightThoughts Offline

I feel so unproductive today. More or less. Yesterday was the school talent show, which alternated between amazing (a kid who sang and played a guitar composition and a girl who sang in Japanese) and meh (two sixth grade girls who could barely be heard, and didn't have enough talent to really get in). So did I practice my little piece like mad before it started? No, I just went to work finding sounds for numbers to translate into.

My current pet project is that of a more or less logical language. My school had MCAS recently, and I started playing with my calculator in the middle of directions. My homeroom teacher (the English teacher who I occasionally rant about) has this obnoxious habit of walking around looking over kids' shoulders during testing, so I couldn't write thoughts down on my paper for fear of being accused of cheating. Plus, you know, mental privacy, and the fact that half the time they were about my irritation with her. So I devised a code in which letters of the English alphabet translated to the numbers 0-9. Because there aren't 29 separate numbers on a calculator, I repeated numbers to stand for every letter beyond J, and used order of operations signs as punctuation. Good creative fun, like the kind that the aforementioned teacher is always saying that our generation doesn't have anymore. Because she was so much better at our age. I really got into it and, with the help of a friend, expanded on it. So yesterday I was creating a spoken form of it, finding a way to make another language, but logically. The letter after letter that each number or series of numbers translates to is the sound that any number makes. Confusing? Yes. But if the number translates to a consonant, it can only make the sound of the next consonant. Same goes for vowels. Thus, 0, which translates to A, sounds like the E in zebra. I modified it as needed, then created some phrases in the language, wrote out the history of the language (which I call Numeric), listed the sounds each number made, and copied and pasted rules for grammar, as Numeric follows proper English grammar. Tada! Everything is complete.

05-20-2012 05:56 AM
NightThoughts Offline

I had more to say, but couldn't bear to make my monologue any longer.

My manga/anime-loving friend (let's call her X) watches anime and reads manga quite frequently. It's her passion in life. She can even sing the theme songs for a few different animes. But that's not the point. Anime had been starting to interfere with her schoolwork, so X's mother lectured her and made her shape up. X complied (presumably to keep manga-reading privileges). Nothing wrong so far. But X likes to relax a bit after school with around 20 minutes of her favorite show. X's mother decided that X needed to go to therapy for it, when X just wanted a little free time to enjoy after roughly 5.5 hours of schoolwork. X went, and was promptly told repeatedly that she had a lot of inner anger and was using anime and manga as a way to express that. Load of crap. X is the most cheerful, upbeat person I know, and not all that irresponsible either. Made me feel like I could strangle this person who thinks that she knows people better than they do. I guess it's the same with all adults. People do that to me all the time, teachers especially. They don't care if you've been having an awful day, or feel sick to your stomach, you have to pretend to love imprisonment and sit up smiling like a robot.

05-20-2012 06:06 AM
NightThoughts Offline

Currently trying to teach myself Japanese. 37 repetitions of the "a" hiragana and counting!

05-21-2012 09:29 AM
NightThoughts Offline

I seem to have forgotten everything that happened yesterday. Everything. I can't recall a supposedly epic Latin class (which, according to a classmate, was made epic by me), I can't remember my sister telling me that I should say hello to someone (who I don't like anyways), nothing. Except for about 2 and a half hours, during which I went to a meeting of the local Anime Club, watched the live-action Death Note movie, which is excellent, and met up with some old friends. Last year, I hung out with them because most were in Band with me. I recall that when our band went to Six Flags, as part of a "music festival", I was the only girl invited to join the group. "The Brotherhood (with one Sister)" was what we called ourselves. Good times, and goofy times as well. One of them, I discovered, is learning Japanese as well. My mom keeps trying to get me to invite him over. Sigh.

05-25-2012 08:00 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Generic Blog Thread The Desert Fox 62 10,406 11-17-2011 02:05 PM
Last Post: The Desert Fox
  This thread: It is a blog. Desu 10 3,616 02-15-2011 11:32 AM
Last Post: Desu