RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dream School
Bell778 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)
RE: Dream School

It already sounds a million times better than my school!
05-30-2012 08:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jnkbortka Offline
Crazy Redneck

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

you should be able to test out of classes and still get the credits for that class if you do test out.
05-31-2012 11:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OCDemSchool Offline
Rebel

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

(05-31-2012 11:08 AM)jnkbortka Wrote:  you should be able to test out of classes and still get the credits for that class if you do test out.

How about no classes? Unless they are directly requested by a student who wants a particular class, this school won't have classes.

www.ocdemocraticschool.com
We are starting a free school in Orange County, California. You can help.
06-02-2012 02:28 AM
4r4b7 Away
im not banned

Given 16 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

burn down the school.

solution

Hidden stuff:

06-03-2012 09:14 PM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)
Dream School

Check out this site: Dream School Commons
http://site.dreamschoolcommons.org/dsc/home

And a detailed proposal from JSchwamm at: http://site.dreamschoolcommons.org/dsc/a...mn-schools

And lots of shared stories: http://stories.dreamschoolcommons.net/
09-16-2012 10:47 PM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)
Dream School

So it's unschooling in an 'institution'? You're astounding!

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
01-09-2013 09:53 AM
OCDemSchool Offline
Rebel

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

(01-09-2013 09:53 AM)Trekkie_Aspie Wrote:  So it's unschooling in an 'institution'?

Yep, essentially. If someone is familiar with unschooling, I usually tell them it's unschooling in community.

www.ocdemocraticschool.com
We are starting a free school in Orange County, California. You can help.
01-09-2013 11:52 AM
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)

(06-03-2012 09:14 PM)4r4b7 Wrote:  burn down the school.

solution

That's not the point. They're trying to make a good school. Burning it down would be extremely stupid.

Burning down a regular school would be less stupid, but still not address the problem (that most people WANT to create such horrendous schools as the government does). Besides, A. law enforcement would make your life a living hell unless you are some kind of invisible teleporting ninja, and B. there are thousands of other schools, what does having one less matter?

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
01-09-2013 12:24 PM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)
Dream School

Aren't most schools constructed like prisons anyway? I've never seen anyone set a brick wall on fire.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
01-10-2013 07:11 AM
Slick Offline
Shattered

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)
Dream School

Nothing, I don't consider any schools a dream.

Quote:Slick's Mental Health Status
[Image: Q9YKMxA.gif?1]
01-11-2013 05:45 PM
 Thanks given by: 1312
tankazoo Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

(05-27-2012 02:01 AM)OCDemSchool Wrote:  
(05-26-2012 05:34 PM)Griff_Da_Man Wrote:  As for some suggestions, probably already on your agenda but a decent sized A/V lab for videography/photography/podcasting as those are things that students interested in pursuing should be able to get a good professional headstart on as it's often expensive to tinker with that on your own. Similar to what universities offer although I will say some high schools have stepped it up.

Great idea, actually. We were debating the need for a computer lab, since that concept seems outdated. The whole school could be a computer lab, with high-speed wifi and tablets/laptops for the students. But, I can see that having a dedicated space for video production, etc. would be really helpful. We'll have to research this a little more. Perhaps a studio for filming? And one or two computers with multiple monitors for the exclusive purpose of editing? What specific elements would be useful in a space like this? What elements would just be really cool, though not necessary?

perhaps you should look into the THOUSANDS of peer reviewed literature on the harmful physiological (including neurological) effects of the electro magentic fields created through wifi (which we are somewhat protected by when wired) before blindly thinking more wifi = better
02-23-2013 03:30 PM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Dream School

My dream school? For whatever reason, that one in the second Pokemon Ranger game comes to mind.

02-23-2013 03:50 PM
LadyKira Offline
Stardust Crusader

Given 31 thank(s) in 25 post(s)
Dream School

One where you could learn anything and you wouldn't have stupid tests.

RIP URY AND GWEDIN
"The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches a lesson."-Tom Bodett

"I've been making a list of the things they don't teach you at school. They don't teach you how to love somebody. They don't teach you how to be famous. They don't teach you how to be rich or how to be poor. They don't teach you how to walk away from someone you don't love any longer. They don't teach you how to know what's going on in someone else's mind. They don't teach you what to say to someone who's dying. They don't teach you anything worth knowing."-Neil Gaimen

Usernames that I have used before: Lollipopgirl

[Image: 42744.png]

Hidden stuff:

[Image: 931y1.png]

LadyKiras emotional status Wrote:[Image: tumblr_nfvobuc9ds1sv5krro1_500.gif]

LadyKira's Daily Song(s):

Watch on YouTube

02-23-2013 03:52 PM
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)

(02-23-2013 03:30 PM)tankazoo Wrote:  perhaps you should look into the THOUSANDS of peer reviewed literature on the harmful physiological (including neurological) effects of the electro magentic fields created through wifi (which we are somewhat protected by when wired) before blindly thinking more wifi = better

Maybe, though I imagine that the web blockers used in most schools probably have worse psychological effects.

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
02-23-2013 11:44 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

(02-23-2013 03:30 PM)tankazoo Wrote:  perhaps you should look into the THOUSANDS of peer reviewed literature on the harmful physiological (including neurological) effects of the electro magentic fields created through wifi (which we are somewhat protected by when wired) before blindly thinking more wifi = better

Quote:If it is possible for a microwave oven to interfere with Wi-Fi signals – I just read something like that on your blog – because they operate at the same frequency, is Wi-Fi then not dangerous to your health? Would having Wi-Fi in your home not be like leaving your microwave door open?
Hermie

This is a question that comes up from time to time, and the short answer is no. In fact, we could rephrase your question and pretend that you'd asked about baby alarms, radio-controlled cars, cordless (DECT) phones, Bluetooth headsets, security alarms and loads of other things that operate in the same unlicensed radio frequency band without causing concern. Is having a baby alarm in your home not like leaving your microwave door open?

The longer answer is that the intensity of a Wi-Fi signal is around is 100,000 times less than a microwave oven. The oven is a targeted device that operates at very high voltages and short distances. Wi-Fi routers operate at very low voltages, broadcast in all directions, and are used at relatively long distances.

Since radio waves follow the inverse square law – like light, sound and gravity – then each time you double the distance, you get only a quarter of the energy. In other words, the signal strength falls off very rapidly. At normal operating distances, Wi-Fi's intensity is generally so low that it's not worth worrying about: it's just part of the "smog" that is generated by radio and TV signals, AC mains wiring, the motors in home appliances, and the universe in general. (As my colleague Charles Arthur once pointed out here, the wavelength of Wi-Fi signals is the same as the cosmic background radiation: 12cm. If you're worried, don't go outside.)
read the rest here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/ask...alth-risks

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
02-24-2013 09:33 AM
tankazoo Offline
Defiant

(02-23-2013 11:44 PM)planetfall666 Wrote:  

Maybe, though I imagine that the web blockers used in most schools probably have worse psychological effects.

ya, well I don't disagree that censorship isn't an issue.

And don't get me wrong, I am not advocating for anyone to avoid wifi (like one could anyway) or computers, or to never use the web.

But of course there are going to be effects of wifi and electricity we do not live in our own personal vacuums.

I am advocating for ya'll to do your own research regarding EMF's and Dirty Electricity, because you sure as hell aren't going to hear about it in school, through mainstream media, etc- it is a political hot potato with too many interested parties invested in it...

And I understand that the internet and computers are basically saviors for many real reasons, and they can be the only or main source of real connections and learning..... but we have to be able to hold both thoughts together; that is, that something can be simultaneously 'good' and 'bad'.... so then it becomes a questions of using the technology responsibly. To argue that more wifi hotspots and/or more computers in the class = better, is an unthinking, irresponsible conclusion, imho
02-24-2013 09:55 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

But the trouble with using things 'responsibly' is who gets to decide what responsible is? Who gets to enforce it? Or is it just a general 'should' statement? I mean, we should be eating healthily and getting an hour of excercise a week. Who does that?

stupid article
05-15-2013 09:04 PM
Smudge Offline
piss baby

Given 11 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Nap/safe space/relaxation room.
05-15-2013 10:04 PM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

RE: Dream School - Maslow

Dream School, huh?

Well, let's start with some very basic grounding in psychology. Maslow's hierarchy (google it) So, the first thing we need is a canteen or something and some beds, or at least sofas and of course, toilets.

Brilliant, now, we need safety and 'security'. I'm not sure who you're going to police it though - oh wait, you won't need to! Don't make people go if they don't want to and they won't need to beat others up.

Friendships, family and sexual intimacy come up next. Friendships are easy enough ... as is family. As for sexual intimacy, that's not as scary as it sounds - Younger children just need to know that masturbation isn't harmful/sinful/demonic/insert negative quality of your choice. Slightly older children need the talk ... Children slightly older than that can handle that one themselves.

Self-esteem and confidence come next. So offer some sort of confidence-building exercise? Track people with accredible or something should do it, I would think. Achievement ... well, just point their achievements out to them. Respect is also solved by optional attendance (both to and from them)

Aha - now self-actualisation - morality, creativity, spontaeity, problem solving, lack of prejudice, acceptance of facts - look, we're learning something now!

stupid article
05-16-2013 07:58 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Dream School

^ Ah, Maslow's hierarchy. I don't feel as though your approach works the way it should - the best way to provide for needs is to DIY.

Basic needs - allow students to brown-bag and provide an atmosphere with bathrooms and comfy seats, remove all restrictions on eating and drinking
Safety needs - allow students to bring weapons and protection from said weapons (the best defense for a man with a gun is another man with a gun, after all)
Emotional needs - allow students to make friends and see their families. Sheesh. I cannot stress this importance enough, as today's schools are clamping down on both
Psychological needs - allow students every right that does not infringe upon the rights of another. Their actions will shape how they perceive themselves
Self-actualization - students will realize they have already provided for their needs all their own, and can be encouraged to do much more

In other words, a completely laissez-faire system. A dream environment for me.

05-16-2013 09:19 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Yeah, I like your principle of "freedom, not license" better. I'm not saying they have to be in specific areas though ... I do intend on allowing students to brown-bag, it would just be nice to provide a place to get hot food too.

stupid article
05-16-2013 09:53 AM
bronzebird Offline
Rebel

The walls should be bright colors and not look like a prison/ward. But with some darker colors in like classrooms and stuff. Maybe some architecture classes...
07-07-2013 03:49 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
Dream School

a mad scientist's lab with a molecular constructor.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2013 02:55 PM by brainiac3397.)
07-07-2013 02:55 PM
chained to desk Offline
Renegade

Given 88 thank(s) in 34 post(s)
Dream School

Students allowed to learn things they choose, and also not getting randomly shuffled every year like in school. Too often it happens where all your friends from last year's class are in different classes/periods than you and you can't learn with them in the same class now because stupid reasons. Sure you can talk to them on social networking or meet when not in school, but it's still really annoying having to meet all new people if you have bad luck with class reshuffling. Students should have options on learning with who they want to, so no more "omg i hate the students in this class, i don't know any of them and i don't like them".

You could also go further and allow students to choose who they want to learn from, instead of "you must learn from this teacher, fuck you if you don't like them".

Another thing that is terrible is not being able to continue with a class you liked the next year. For instance, I can't simply learn 4 years of physics in high school even though i want to learn about astrophysics and astronomy and physics for four years instead of chemistry and biology. I loved computer science last year, but i have no option to take another year of it and learn a few new things about computers.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2014 10:14 AM by chained to desk.)
01-08-2014 10:13 AM
 Thanks given by: xcriteria , mpoole
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

This open & free course, starting this week, is all about exploring this question of what a dream school should be like, and how to set one up:

New School Creation with Larry Rosenstock

Watch on YouTube

This is an opportunity to discuss these ideas with educators who are actually putting them into practice... things don't have to stay in the factory-model forever, with only rare exceptions. Smile

But it's going to take some dialogue to bring these changes about.

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2014 01:57 AM by xcriteria.)
01-13-2014 01:56 AM