RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why would you need to know this? thread
fish20 Offline
Penguins are birds

Given 32 thank(s) in 25 post(s)
Why would you need to know this? thread

Why would I need to know differences in amino acid sequences in cytochome-C proteins?

What's the point? Who even uses this stuff besides a very very small percentage of people?
04-12-2012 06:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)
RE: Why would you need to know this? thread

You don't need to know it.

The only excuse people say is "der it's good to have a general knowledge of many different things"

No it isn't, it creates people who think they know a lot about everything when they don't at all.

Fucking amino acids.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
04-12-2012 06:33 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

Well if you're actually learning about specific amino acids then you're probably in an advanced class anyway.

I didn't study specific peptides until Anatomy & Physiology
04-12-2012 07:00 AM
fish20 Offline
Penguins are birds

(04-12-2012 07:00 AM)Aya Wrote:  Well if you're actually learning about specific amino acids then you're probably in an advanced class anyway.

I didn't study specific peptides until Anatomy & Physiology

Nope just Biology Honors.
04-12-2012 07:01 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

Well if you aren't going to fields of biology or chemistry, then that is virtually worthless to you.

Previously known as Derchin.
04-12-2012 07:39 AM
flann Offline
Revolutionary

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Didn't you read that one thread where someones dad made the excuse, 'you may not know it, but later in life it will help you make important decisions, like how to vote'.

War is stupid.
04-12-2012 03:11 PM
fish20 Offline
Penguins are birds

I have to compare letters in a grid that is 120 across and 25 down for science. You don't learn anything from this assignment at all!!! The only thing it proves it that you can do a ridiculous amount of busywork that has literally no benefit. It's like playing Sudoku except there are 3000 numbers. That's all it is. It doesn't teach you about science or anything. Just like a giant logic puzzle, except without the logic.
04-15-2012 06:48 AM
Electronagon Offline
Cybernet Model 101

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

(04-15-2012 06:48 AM)Fish20 Wrote:  I have to compare letters in a grid that is 120 across and 25 down for science. You don't learn anything from this assignment at all!!! The only thing it proves it that you can do a ridiculous amount of busywork that has literally no benefit. It's like playing Sudoku except there are 3000 numbers. That's all it is. It doesn't teach you about science or anything. Just like a giant logic puzzle, except without the logic.

Nooo! How can you compare the great puzzle of Sudoku to prison work?

Hidden stuff:

[Image: thumbnail.aspx?q=4560839182713275&am...e4e0c18eeb]
Find the I.

[Image: shooting-two-guns.gif][Image: tommy-submachine-gun.gif]

Fight the power! Pirate
04-16-2012 01:41 PM
fish20 Offline
Penguins are birds

I was just saying what it looks like. A grid of almost 3000 numbers/letters.
04-16-2012 09:56 PM
fish20 Offline
Penguins are birds

>School teaches persuasion methods
>Teaches about propaganda
they are different
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2012 06:17 AM by fish20.)
04-17-2012 06:14 AM
M3116 Offline
I and I

Given 5 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Why would you need to know what the Modern Language Association declares as fact? Why would you need to know formulas and equations for extraneous numbers? Why would you need to know the outlines for two different sonnets? Why would you need to know all the life of Neville Chamberlain? Why would you need to know if Romeo and Juliet really were in love? Why would you need to know about some guy like Durer? Why would you need to read the Book of Soloman? Why would you need to know how to create a table in Word 2010?
Although some of the above interest me, you don't need them. You don't need anything you think you do, you don't need anything even if its absence may induce your own death, nothing is needed if the world will end, because it will only just end. And anything that can happen will happen. And so don't tell me about this needing thing without a condition of the statement because only the past events need to have happened. I completely agree with you.

And, fuck amino acids? You need to know amino acid structure, which I so gratuitously use as everyone else that I know, because then you may better understand the Primordial Soup theory, I mean if you didn't know or anything. That's all I can say. But I know there are plenty of more things probably with more meaning than you. Hang in there, remember dues ex machina and that sometimes has to mean BS for a 'greater' good--getting outta there with no trouble if you can.
04-19-2012 03:32 PM
Sharpie Offline
Banned

Given 169 thank(s) in 113 post(s)

Why do I need to know how to convert grams to moles in chemistry? Or how to find the area of a circle/specific slice of said circle? None of that pertains to what I want to do with my life.

A lot of the stuff I do in school is just useless busywork. Some of it can be somewhat useful, but for the most part it's not.

EDIT:

I especially hate when a teacher makes you do an assignment, then says "Oh, it's for your notes; Not for a grade. I won't collect it"

I do worksheets and papers to get a grade so I can pass my shit and get the fuck out of this hell hole. If it doesn't give me a grade, I honestly don't see the value in it.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2012 03:39 PM by Sharpie.)
04-19-2012 03:37 PM
M3116 Offline
I and I

Oh, what Sharpie said, completely. I mean another thing I wanted to say is why do you need to know how to convert units in the American metric system? Jesus Christ Almighty!!
04-19-2012 03:45 PM
Sharpie Offline
Banned

Given 169 thank(s) in 113 post(s)

Do you mean converting units from the American system to the Metric system? I can somewhat see the value in that, as the rest of the world uses the Metric system and it might be useful at one point. But then again, it's nothing a quick google search can't solve.
04-19-2012 03:51 PM
M3116 Offline
I and I

Exactly, and no, I mean converting higher quantities of lower units to higher units of lower quantities within the American metric system with the firmness they are taught today. I knew all the American metric formulas you could throw at me before I ever really even learned SI.
04-19-2012 04:04 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Earth space science had to have been the most useless class I ever had and cheated the whole way through.
hell almost everybody in my class failed it but me and 4 other people out of 35.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
04-19-2012 04:21 PM
aCol Offline
Distiller of hate

Given 20 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

One of my teachers usually says "because it extends your horizon". I've thought a lot about physics, because I hate the school subject, but have a lot of home projects that involve them. I don't care about radiation, nor mechanics. The only thing I am interested is electricity. Resistance, that supra stuff, but not more.

Why do I fucking have to know how radiation occurs? I won't be able to get weapon able Plutonium anyways...nor does anybody (except medicine, energy companies and military) actually use high amounts of radiated stuff.

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH
04-25-2012 03:48 AM
The Shadowman Offline
Kane lives!

Given 11 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Why do I need to know how to identify the seven types of clauses?

The best bloody cover song I have ever heard in my entire life, period: http://www.youtube.com/user/sbeast64#p/c...yCFuP3rM2w
04-25-2012 05:57 AM
fish20 Offline
Penguins are birds

cAUsuE YoU MigHT BE A wRiTer One DaY anD NeEd To KnWo IT Cause YOu Might ChangE yOUR MajOR to WRItng.
04-25-2012 07:41 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

(04-19-2012 03:32 PM)M3116 Wrote:  Why would you need to know how to create a table in Word 2010?

I make tables and charts all the time at work. Both on word and excell. Pretty standard shit if you want to land an office job.
04-25-2012 10:53 AM
M3116 Offline
I and I

They have tutorials for that on the actual program. I don't need to waste my time in a government sanctioned institution to be taught what is 'useful' in the opinions of other people.
04-25-2012 02:22 PM
Aya Offline
Banned

Of course they have tutorials but most people don't use those tutorials until it's too late. And who do you think I'll hire first? Someone who knows how to use the software or someone who tells me "oh I can look that up on google'?
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2012 10:45 PM by Aya.)
04-25-2012 10:44 PM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

Are you suggesting that kids should, indeed, stay in school?

Previously known as Derchin.
04-26-2012 12:36 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

I never said that. I'm saying that only a self entitled asshole would stick their nose up at something and say "Oh when will I ever need to know this?" Especially when it's something as practical as the most common document editing software on the planet.

Ditto with the kid who asked why he needed to know about radiation. Well it might be something you want to have a general knowledge of since we're threatened by it from numerous sources. The doomsday clock created in 1947 tracks how close humanity is to nuclear holocaust and annihilation. When it hits midnight, where fucked. It's currently set at 11:55pm.

If that's a bit too on the 'fear mongering' side for you, then by all means fly to Tokyo and ask the locals if they can taste the plutonium in their tap water.

tl;dr knowledge is power. Now read a book nigga.
04-26-2012 01:24 AM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

I agree with Aya.
School may be a shit hole. However that doesn't mean everything you learn is useless. Everything I learn in high school I'm interested in and is very important to know in life. I just don't agree with being forced to go and obey and the fact that you have to memorize rather than learn.

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
04-26-2012 01:27 AM
The Shadowman Offline
Kane lives!

Given 11 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

(04-25-2012 07:41 AM)Fish Wrote:  cAUsuE YoU MigHT BE A wRiTer One DaY anD NeEd To KnWo IT Cause YOu Might ChangE yOUR MajOR to WRItng.
The seven clauses in the Dutch language are very hard to identify, and nobody makes mistakes when using them, except when people want to do so intentionally.

The best bloody cover song I have ever heard in my entire life, period: http://www.youtube.com/user/sbeast64#p/c...yCFuP3rM2w
04-26-2012 01:53 AM