Poll: Which do you prefer?
Blender
Maya
3ds Max
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blender vs Maya vs 3ds Max

Efs Offline
The Ubermensch

Given 63 thank(s) in 39 post(s)
Blender vs Maya vs 3ds Max

Okay. So I want a new hobby or something to do apart from shitty homework and playing vidya all day. So here I have Blender, 3ds Max and Maya. I want more to do with game development, however making some 3d mini movies sounds pretty cool too.
This is why Blender is a great idea, because it's got an built-in game engine and it's free, and has a large and growing community behind it.
Then there's 3ds Max and Maya. I honestly don't understand the difference. Most people say 3ds for games and Maya for CGI and movies but WHY? What makes that so?

This is a screenshot of 3ds max. And I took a few minutes (not much) to see what it was like. There is a bit of math involved (obviously, but particularly because of the radiosity and shader features), and I see this as more of a programmers tool. It is said by some that this is used it for engineering or architectural works and games and it has the inverse kinematics/skeletons feature like in Maya. It also has it's own scripting language - MAXScript. And unfortunately is only available on Windows.
Hidden stuff:
[Image: ylyqv.jpg]
Hidden stuff:
[Image: autodesk-3ds-max-14.jpg]

Then I took a look at Maya. It had more buttons in the layout. But for some reason I found the UI more suitable.
Actually wait, I just messed around with it a bit more and I had no idea what the fuck I was doing. Same with 3ds max. This has more emphasis on detail I believe, as you have the Maya Fur and Maya Hair features to create realistic fur + hair and some other features that 3ds doesn't have. It also has it's unique scripting language - MEL. Also available on MAC, Linux and Windows.
Hidden stuff:
[Image: 2m2c9w2.jpg]
Hidden stuff:
[Image: Autodesk-Maya_18.jpg]
And then we have Blender. A free alternative with nearly the same features. Perfect if you want to start your 3d animation or modelling career or just explore a new hobby. Instead of paying $4,000 for Maya or 3ds, there is an open source software that's nearly as good, or perhaps even better for some. I just realized Blender had inverse kinematics too...lol I don't know why I labelled that as a feature for the other two, but oh well. Blender supports more platforms than Maya and 3ds (Windows, Linux, Solaris, Mac etc) and has it's own built-in game engine AND uses Python as a scripting language. Which is better because Python is a universal language that can be used for a variety of purposes and is not limited to Blender like MEL or MAXscript. Blender has been the brute force behind movie projects like Big Buck Bunny and Elephant Dream as well as game projects such as Yo Frankie!
Hidden stuff:
[Image: 2nu6737.jpg]
Hidden stuff:
[Image: Screenshot_Blender_-_BigBuckBunny.png]
Hidden stuff:
[Image: blenderScreenshot01.jpg]
Hidden stuff:
[Image: 1749-3.jpg]

I really want to get working with Blender. But the only problems I see are: Would the studios accept the use of Blender for AAA+ titles? And does Blender lack some features that Maya/3ds Max have?
I see Blender as really close to the two big players in the industry, and growing rapidly. I think Blender would be able to give you a career in this industry and I do think that because of the rapidly growing community, all these features will be incorporated in a newer version of Blender sooner or later. I came here asking on what software to use, but I think I just convinced myself to use Blender lol

*first screens of each section are MIEN!*

What do you guys think?

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2012 07:14 PM by Efs.)
04-04-2012 07:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lunatic Offline
A NERD

Given 16 thank(s) in 14 post(s)
RE: Blender vs Maya vs 3ds Max

I use blender... would you be interested in a somewhat shitty fps/3d game I made? I intend on remaking it and making it better.

I don't think "the studios" would accept blender... they'd probably want you to have some sort of stupid degree with Maya or something. I suppose it can't hurt if you learn them all simultaneously? Razz
Otherwise it can feel a little pointless to learn a new interface...
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2012 07:17 PM by Lunatic.)
04-04-2012 07:16 PM
Efs Offline
The Ubermensch

My reaction after writing this thread:
[Image: lol-wtf-am-i-doing.jpg]

(04-04-2012 07:16 PM)Lunatic Wrote:  I use blender... would you be interested in a somewhat shitty fps/3d game I made? I intend on remaking it and making it better.

I don't think "the studios" would accept blender... they'd probably want you to have some sort of stupid degree with Maya or something. I suppose it can't hurt if you learn them all simultaneously? Razz
Otherwise it can feel a little pointless to learn a new interface...
Oh nice. Yes I am interested. Can you please upload?
However the learning curve for learning another program wouldn't be as much if you already know one. Eg. Learning to use Maya would be easier if you already know Blender.

04-04-2012 07:19 PM
Lunatic Offline
A NERD

My game for windows: (in soviet russia is best, the others suck, sort of)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63058648/bhunt_windows.zip
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2012 07:27 PM by Lunatic.)
04-04-2012 07:26 PM
Efs Offline
The Ubermensch

(04-04-2012 07:26 PM)Lunatic Wrote:  My game for windows: (in soviet russia is best, the others suck, sort of)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63058648/bhunt_windows.zip

Nice game dude!

04-04-2012 08:22 PM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Given 8 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

I been a Maya user since I was 12 years old.

As for Lunatic, I am not clicking that. For all I know, it could contain malicious viruses inside it. Wish I had a legit copy of Bufferzone-Pro and a totally new hardware.

ZZZ...
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2012 10:21 AM by Reptorian.)
04-05-2012 10:21 AM
Lunatic Offline
A NERD

Use sandboxie or something if you want to see it. Also it doesn't have any serious system requirements at all.
04-05-2012 10:25 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Given 8 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

The 3d model sucked bad, but I actually loved how you did the game. Keep at the programming.

ZZZ...
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2012 10:42 AM by Reptorian.)
04-05-2012 10:41 AM