RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Don't Like School - Article
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:But...I suggest we keep an eye on the article. In case, anyone's interested, I mentioned 'Also, because you didn't cite your sources, there have been concerns brought up that you fabricated the entire article'

Good idea. That article has been bugging me in Google's search results for a long time. Smile

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
09-23-2007 04:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)

SoulRiser Wrote:
Quote:But...I suggest we keep an eye on the article. In case, anyone's interested, I mentioned 'Also, because you didn't cite your sources, there have been concerns brought up that you fabricated the entire article'

Good idea. That article has been bugging me in Google's search results for a long time. Smile

Ohhh...I just had an idea.

How about linking to it under the header 'crap'?

If we can get enough people to do it, it'll get associated with 'crap' in the same way that someone got associated with 'complete failure'

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
09-24-2007 02:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Re: You Don't Like School - Article

Talking of kidshealth - let's look at some more shitty articles.

Don't give the bully a chance. As much as you can, avoid the bully. You can't go into hiding or skip class, of course. But if you can take a different route and avoid him or her, do so.

Hmmm....you know, BULLIES FOLLOW PEOPLE!!!!

Stand tall and be brave. When you're scared of another person, you're probably not feeling your bravest. But sometimes just acting brave is enough to stop a bully. How does a brave person look and act? Stand tall and you'll send the message: "Don't mess with me." It's easier to feel brave when you feel good about yourself. See the next tip!

Have you ever been inside an actual school? You try that - just don't come running to me when you get the 'What are you looking at?' pulled on you.

Feel good about you. Nobody's perfect, but what can you do to look and feel your best? Maybe you'd like to be more fit. If so, maybe you'll decide to get more exercise, watch less TV, and eat healthier snacks. Or maybe you feel you look best when you shower in the morning before school. If so, you could decide to get up a little earlier so you can be clean and refreshed for the school day.

Yeh, you know nothing. That won't work.

Get a buddy (and be a buddy). Two is better than one if you're trying to avoid being bullied. Make a plan to walk with a friend or two on the way to school or recess or lunch or wherever you think you might meet the bully. Offer to do the same if a friend is having bully trouble. Get involved if you see bullying going on in your school — tell an adult, stick up for the kid being bullied, and tell the bully to stop.

And who do you think gets bullied most? The kids with no (or very few) friends.

Ignore the bully. If you can, try your best to ignore the bully's threats. Pretend you don't hear them and walk away quickly to a place of safety. Bullies want a big reaction to their teasing and meanness. Acting as if you don't notice and don't care is like giving no reaction at all, and this just might stop a bully's behavior.

Yes, bullies want a reaction and they will do anything for that reaction. If you ignore verbal threats, what do you think will happen? Yes, they'll move onto physical stuff.

Stand up for yourself. Pretend to feel really brave and confident. Tell the bully "No! Stop it!" in a loud voice. Then walk away, or run if you have to. Kids also can stand up for each other by telling a bully to stop teasing or scaring someone else, and then walk away together. If a bully wants you to do something that you don't want to do — say "no!" and walk away. If you do what a bully says to do, they will likely keep bullying you. Bullies tend to bully kids who don't stick up for themselves.

Oh, come on. Bullies work in teams. Surroundings. Or at the very least, you'll get tripped up.

Don't bully back. Don't hit, kick, or push back to deal with someone bullying you or your friends. Fighting back just satisfies a bully and it's dangerous, too, because someone could get hurt. You're also likely to get in trouble. It's best to stay with others, stay safe, and get help from an adult.

That's not bullying back. That's self-defense. Flight is illegal. Of course, I'll fight.

Better in trouble and out of danger, than having a spotlessly clean record and being unsafe.

Again, the ones who get bullied, won't have a lot of friends. Adults are useless.

Don't show your feelings. Plan ahead. How can you stop yourself from getting angry or showing you're upset? Try distracting yourself (counting backwards from 100, spelling the word 'turtle' backwards, etc.) to keep your mind occupied until you are out of the situation and somewhere safe where you can show your feelings.

Oh, gawd, go to school.

Tell an adult. If you are being bullied, it's very important to tell an adult. Find someone you trust and go and tell them what is happening to you. Teachers, principals, parents, and lunchroom helpers at school can all help to stop bullying. Sometimes bullies stop as soon as a teacher finds out because they're afraid that they will be punished by parents. This is not tattling on someone who has done something small — bullying is wrong and it helps if everyone who gets bullied or sees someone being bullied speaks up.

So that they can do the easiest thing and punish you both? No, thanks.

In the end, most bullies wind up in trouble. If they keep acting mean and hurtful, sooner or later they may have only a few friends left — usually other kids who are just like them. The power they wanted slips away fast. Other kids move on and leave bullies behind.

Wrong. Most victims end up in trouble. Everyone else is scared of the bully and therefore frames the victim.

stupid article
04-20-2008 11:38 PM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)
Re: You Don't Like School - Article

Rofl omg i remember this its so funny
04-21-2008 12:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

RE: You Don't Like School - Article

We should all send them a reply stating how inaccurate they are for conflating school with education.

stupid article
01-29-2013 01:56 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Dennis Littky's Big Picture school model: article/documentary xcriteria 4 3,224 12-17-2014 10:51 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  Article Link: School Boredom and Underachievement xcriteria 29 13,186 06-03-2012 01:31 PM
Last Post: King Bum
  anti-school article youvebeenthunderstruck 1 1,589 04-27-2008 05:53 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  anti-school article youvebeenthunderstruck 2 1,446 03-06-2008 06:33 AM
  Some article noting that there's nothing like school Will 1 1,322 03-05-2008 11:05 AM
  Very interesting article I read about school.... Cosbydaf 6 2,537 05-09-2007 12:12 PM
Last Post: Cosbydaf