RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
100k/yr Career for ANYBODY.
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Given 63 thank(s) in 46 post(s)
100k/yr Career for ANYBODY.

In my financial literacy class the other day, a woman came in to talk to us about a job called "court reporter." You go to a college for two years, the one she gave us was Stenotech Career Institute. It costs about 20k, and the only thing you learn is to use this thing that looks like a computer with piano keys. There is a shortage, so apparently you get a job straight out of college, make good money, especially if you are bilingual.

This would you be great for you GED people out there.

The purpose of life is a life with a purpose
So I’d rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless
I don’t need the circus or the day of national observance
I need you to think for you and stop being a servant
-Immortal Technique, The Martyr, The Martyr
03-14-2012 12:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)
RE: 100k/yr Career for ANYBODY.

You have to learn a whole new typing language, and also be able to type at blazing fast speeds using a dovark(I think) setup vs the qwerty keyboard.
03-14-2012 03:02 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

(03-14-2012 03:02 AM)SaintVicious Wrote:  You have to learn a whole new typing language, and also be able to type at blazing fast speeds using a dovark(I think) setup vs the qwerty keyboard.

According to my reading of Wikipedia, Dvorak is much easier to type quickly with than Qwerty. It would suck to relearn typing, but after that you would be able to type much faster.

This begs the question: Why not just film the darn things?

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
03-14-2012 07:30 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

(03-14-2012 07:30 AM)Weswammy Wrote:  
(03-14-2012 03:02 AM)SaintVicious Wrote:  You have to learn a whole new typing language, and also be able to type at blazing fast speeds using a dovark(I think) setup vs the qwerty keyboard.

According to my reading of Wikipedia, Dvorak is much easier to type quickly with than Qwerty. It would suck to relearn typing, but after that you would be able to type much faster.

Who knows, and the qwerty setup is designed to keep you from typing to fast because old typewriters couldnt handle it
03-14-2012 08:19 AM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

Yeah fuck that shit, 20k for uni? lolwut that's expensive.
$100k a year is okay.

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
03-14-2012 03:39 PM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

(03-14-2012 03:39 PM)Efs Wrote:  Yeah fuck that shit, 20k for uni? lolwut that's expensive.
$100k a year is okay.

how about 25k per semester thats expensive
03-14-2012 03:59 PM
aCol Offline
Distiller of hate

Given 20 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

(03-14-2012 07:30 AM)Weswammy Wrote:  

I don't know exactly why, but when it comes to technology in a court, people get kind of mad.

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH
03-19-2012 04:46 AM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

It's not 100k/yr. Some Googling around turned this up:

Quote:Court reporters had median annual wages of $49,710 in May 2008. The middle 50 percent earned between $35,390 and $67,430. The lowest paid 10 percent earned less than $25,360, and the highest paid 10 percent earned more than $83,500. Median annual wages in May 2008 were $51,150 for court reporters working in local government and $44,670 for those working in business support services.

Still, the pay isn't bad at all for only having to go to college for two years. Wouldn't do it personally because the job would bore me to tears and I don't want to be another pawn for the government.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
03-19-2012 10:52 AM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

The woman that told this to the OP was misinformed! Burn 'er!

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
03-19-2012 04:44 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Tax Preparation Career = No Education / Experience to Start! Desu 1 1,910 08-28-2009 10:10 AM
Last Post: Desu
  ffl a good career op chaos2525 15 5,679 06-03-2009 11:19 PM
Last Post: Reptorian