RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teacher Finally Admits Math isn't necessary
McGee! Offline
Defender of...

Given 10 thank(s) in 9 post(s)
RE: Teacher Finally Admits Math isn't necessary

In degrees and in math, it just depends on what you have and what you do with it.

Sociopath Wrote:
The Desert Fox Wrote:Colbert is awesome.
/threaditude.
Generation Y Cuban blog-English blog
Hidden stuff:
hewhodestroysall Wrote:Honestly I never figured the point of the esrb.
Point is you can't censor reality.
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Abe Fortas, Tinker v. Des Moines (1969) Wrote:In our system, state-operated schools may not be enclaves of totalitarianism. School officials do not possess absolute authority over their students. Students in school as well as out of school are "persons" under our Constitution."
Rebelnerd Wrote:Human rights are being violated by US law enforcement. This is what the media is here for, you're supposed to be the watchdogs! You're supposed to stand up for the downtrodden, not belittle them as though all their problems amount to nothing more than some angry glares toward parents and sabotaging their computers.
I've seen so much shit done to youth and for some reason, this has made me angrier than I've felt in years. Abuse and oppression happens all over the world. It's a terrible reality of modern society, but we've all accepted that it happens and we're doing what we can to fight it and build a better world.
But this...this mindless, condescending disrespect toward people who have no legal voice with which to defend themselves, this reduction of parents' betrayal into a cheap crack about kids being computer-savvy...it's like watching a surgeon joke about life insurance while his patient bleeds to death on the operating table. The media's job is to protect society from oppression and they've drawn a clear line between the people worth protecting and the people that don't matter. How can they people sleep at night?

You're a journalist. DO. YOUR. FUCKING. JOB.

(04-28-2010 08:17 AM)Liquid Wrote:  Laws never seem to help people fight School. Laws only matter if the students are braking them...

(12-03-2011 07:40 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Solution to all these problems: don't fuck people you can't negotiate with in a civilized manner.
(02-09-2012 02:14 PM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  The only solution is democratic self-paced education where students can excel in what they are good at and work on what their not if necessary, AT THEIR OWN DAMN PACE IN THEIR OWN DAMN WAY.

Don't Board the Censor Ship
06-01-2012 06:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

(06-01-2012 03:38 AM)HeartofShadows Wrote:  
(05-31-2012 10:32 PM)AWOL Wrote:  "Maths helps science and engineering, you know those things that are essentially the only two large driving forces of change between now and a hundred years ago?"
"HURR MYY TEECHER ADMITED MAFZ IZ ST0OPID LOLL"

Lol Elitism is one hell of a drug.

>understands math
>encourages kids to study Science Technology Engineering & Math
>>MUST BE ELITIST
06-01-2012 06:10 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

I wasn't talking about you.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
06-01-2012 07:10 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

(05-28-2012 01:37 AM)HeartofShadows Wrote:  
(05-28-2012 12:06 AM)Aya Wrote:  
(03-11-2012 11:34 AM)Derchin Wrote:  Simple math is a necessity everyone needs to know. Higher level math (like calculus, trigonometry, elementary functions, ETC) is pretty much required in fields of engineering, science and business, but if you aren't going into any of these fields, planning on achieving anything in life. then higher level math is pointless for you. Your teacher is right.
Elitist add on.
Double fixed.
Kind of sad Aya that your obsessed with achieving.
06-01-2012 07:34 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

(06-01-2012 07:34 AM)Aya Wrote:  Double fixed.
Kind of sad Aya that your obsessed with achieving.

Yeah pretty much fixed.

image hosting jpg
06-01-2012 07:42 AM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

No one really needs shit like algebra. I mean, counting is useful, but really the complex abstract more advanced forms are all about science and economics. Not survival.

To be an anarchist, is to suffer greatly. To be a black woman is to suffer secretly. To be the earth, is to suffer silently.

I wish no harm on anyone, but those whose harmful ways will not stop without the same harm.

It's time we kill this cancerous system, before it kills us and everything left of gaia. Rise from our immaturity and take back our autonomy!

[Image: 2010-10-04-lost-my-appetite.jpg]
06-01-2012 07:52 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

There some forms of math that everyone needs to know and algebra is one of them.

Previously known as Derchin.
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2012 08:02 AM by Miller0700.)
06-01-2012 07:59 AM
King Bum Offline
Tard

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

(06-01-2012 07:59 AM)Derchin Wrote:  There some forms of math that everyone needs to know and algebra is one of them.

An example of why would be nice

[Image: The_More_You_Know.jpg]
06-01-2012 08:04 AM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

As I said, counting is useful. But the more complex forms of math is all about economics and science.

To be an anarchist, is to suffer greatly. To be a black woman is to suffer secretly. To be the earth, is to suffer silently.

I wish no harm on anyone, but those whose harmful ways will not stop without the same harm.

It's time we kill this cancerous system, before it kills us and everything left of gaia. Rise from our immaturity and take back our autonomy!

06-01-2012 08:17 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Well, that I agree with.

06-01-2012 08:20 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

But science is fucking cool. Without the awesome capability of some humans to greatly understand and apply math, you wouldn't be able to type that fucking message on this stupid forum. You think science and technology are unneccessary and evil... then why don't you GTFO and live in a forest or start your own tribe or some shit?
Science, technology and computers are awesome, but sadly, the way many humans often act is fucking stupid, authoritarian, etcetera.
I agree that the way schools teach math is, most of the time, inappropiate and mostly effective at removing interest on it and molding people to conform. High school math classes seem to have acted pretty effectively on you.
06-01-2012 08:25 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

No one (Well, me that is...) is suggesting that. I for one love science, but it's unfair to lump every profession in some sort of advanced-level math or science field and demand that people learn them. Especially when most of it is virtually forgotten and/or useless to most people

(This post was last modified: 06-01-2012 08:32 AM by Miller0700.)
06-01-2012 08:31 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

(06-01-2012 08:15 AM)Derchin Wrote:  An example would be shopping and buying goods. A simple, yet effective way of adding all of your items up is to put it all in one equation and to solve it.

Ex: You get two cartons of eggs, three boxes of cereal, a loaf of bread, some toothpaste, and a gallon of apple juice. To add it all you either can take the time to add each item up one by one or you can use variables to represent the cost of each item. Or you can even wait until you get to the register, but if you're in a hurry (like most of us) or if the line is way too long, then doing the math while you're here wouldn't hurt and you could see how much it is to pay or if you have enough money to actually pay for it all.

As below:

Eggs- $3 a carton (A)
Cereal- $2 a box (B)
Bread- $2.50 a loaf [C]
Toothpaste- $3 a box (D)
Apple Juice- $2.75 a bottle (E)

Now put it all in one equation : 2A+3B+C+D+E and it equals to $18.25.

Something as simple as this is really useful to the common folk.

Umm fucking addition.

image hosting jpg
06-01-2012 09:49 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

(06-01-2012 08:17 AM)SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Wrote:  As I said, counting is useful. But the more complex forms of math is all about economics and science.

>typing on Internet
>> "science isn't useful"

[Image: Not+sure+if+gif+is+related+or+OC+_9ea786...b73154.jpg]

[Image: f8ea3bdee4f208a27e03ccbdef02449e.gif?v=63948]
06-01-2012 10:08 AM
King Bum Offline
Tard

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Yeah what HoS said.

[Image: The_More_You_Know.jpg]
06-01-2012 10:59 AM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

(06-01-2012 08:25 AM)Lunatic Wrote:  But science is fucking cool. Without the awesome capability of some humans to greatly understand and apply math, you wouldn't be able to type that fucking message on this stupid forum. You think science and technology are unneccessary and evil... then why don't you GTFO and live in a forest or start your own tribe or some shit?
Science, technology and computers are awesome, but sadly, the way many humans often act is fucking stupid, authoritarian, etcetera.
I agree that the way schools teach math is, most of the time, inappropiate and mostly effective at removing interest on it and molding people to conform. High school math classes seem to have acted pretty effectively on you.

I don't see what's so cool about science. I don't see not one great invention they have brought us. Firstly, the understandings are very linear and systematic.

Plus, the methods are very isolating and harmful. like vivisection, and shit. It's basically about economics. The environment is the ever expendable variable and humans are administering the control variable over it. And in doing so they basically destroy it.

And come out with shit like this, computers, and nuclear bombs. Great fucking humanity. Computers, so we can have longer work days, zombify ourselves on to these machines, and waste life in an artificial reality. Instead of spending it with real actual human beings.

Argue about the world's problems with eachother on the internet, ad hominem, troll, and be stupid and counterproductive.

I think we can understand the world, without trying to dominating it. As 99 percent of human history has proved.

And really? Moving out into the woods starting a tribe? You do realize that I'm a radical anarchist? Tha'ts LIBERAL. I want to liberate the world.

Not be selfish bastard and try to illegally survive in what's left of the woods.

06-02-2012 06:55 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

(06-02-2012 06:55 AM)SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Wrote:  I don't see what's so cool about science. I don't see not one great invention they have brought us.

How about the computer your typing on you arrogant little shit? Or the vaccines that eradicated smallpox before you were even born?
06-02-2012 06:57 AM
Mælstrom Offline
GIVE ME LEEBERTY, OR GIVE ME DEATH

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

I'll start putting bets down on the possibility of an argument between Aya and Shotgun ending peacefully. $50 for starters.

If you're reading this, I killed myself.
06-02-2012 07:00 AM
Mælstrom Offline
GIVE ME LEEBERTY, OR GIVE ME DEATH

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Not all scientists are motivated by money, Shotgun. Ever heard of Tesla? He was extremely close to providing worldwide communications and electricity for every person on the planet, and worked towards a more united world. His old boss Edison was so terrified of his potential that he electrocuted a circus elephant with the dangerous prototype of the safe alternating current system that Tesla invented to make most of the general public throw Tesla's eccentric but humanitarian notions out the window.

If you're reading this, I killed myself.
06-02-2012 07:05 AM
Sharpie Offline
Banned

Given 169 thank(s) in 113 post(s)

Math is absolutely necessary. Sure, the average person doesn't need to know the ultra advanced shit, but without math and science you would not be on these forums spewing your bullshit all over the place. In fact, you would probably be dead, because without math and science there would be no vaccines for the horribad diseases that would kill you. Medical care would also be primitive, because you fucking need math to accurately measure a lot of things in relation to body weight, height, ect.

TLDR: Some form of math is required in your daily life, you dumb bitch.
06-02-2012 08:03 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

Even Sharpie admits it even though math isn't one of his strongest subjects at all.
actually my argument is now adsojahfaslkjfhasl because I don't care, fuck this thread
Your idealistic little fairy tale will never have your expected consequences.
Science has actually helped preserve the environment in some cases.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2012 09:03 AM by LOON_ATTIC.)
06-02-2012 08:59 AM
Sharpie Offline
Banned

Given 169 thank(s) in 113 post(s)

(06-02-2012 08:59 AM)Lunatic Wrote:  Even Sharpie admits it even though math isn't one of his strongest subjects at all.

This. I'm not that good at math and I don't like doing it, but instead of making excuses and trying to justify my low skill in math by stating that math isn't necessary, I admit that it is, because IT IS.

You should do the same.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2012 11:20 AM by Sharpie.)
06-02-2012 11:19 AM
4r4b7 Away
im not banned

Given 16 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

SO MUCH MATHS WAS BEING DONE, WHEN YOU STARTED THIS THREAD. IF WE DIDN'T HAVE MATHS, THEN THIS FORUM WON'T EXIST. THERE WOULD BE NO INTERNET. FORGET ABOUT INTERNET, WE WON'T EVEN BE ABLE TO COUNT OUR OWN FINGER. SO MMMUCH MATHS IS BEING DONE AS I AM WRITING THIS.

IM NOT SHOUTING!

Hidden stuff:

(This post was last modified: 06-02-2012 02:26 PM by 4r4b7.)
06-02-2012 02:26 PM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

How about this, people should have a fairly advanced understanding of maths and science in comparison to what they have now, if not to just make the commoners shut the fuck up about science KILLING US ALL, with BLACK HOLES and SPACE and MONKEY VIRUSES and LOGICZ.

I'm fucking tired of defending the Large Hadron Collider, I'm fucking tired of defending evolution and I'm fucking tired of defending mathematics.

People should start trying to defend their fucking ignorance, because it's sad and pathetic that you think not being able to figure out 2x = 4x - 3 is a fucking point of honour.

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
06-02-2012 07:20 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

(06-02-2012 06:57 AM)Aya Wrote:  
(06-02-2012 06:55 AM)SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Wrote:  I don't see what's so cool about science. I don't see not one great invention they have brought us.

How about the computer your typing on you arrogant little shit? Or the vaccines that eradicated smallpox before you were even born?

Shotgun you n000000000b

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
06-02-2012 10:37 PM
iloveyouall Offline
Renegade

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Mention something language or social studies-related and everyone agrees on how useless it is. But math and science get free passes. XD

Yes, math and science are important (all subjects taught in school are important to SOMEONE out there other than the person teaching it), but complex forms of math and science are, like Shotgun has said, used for economics and science. Of course, not everyone is going to be in business or science, so for those people, such education about complex forms of math and science is worthless.
06-03-2012 01:44 PM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

And yet, most controversial issues are controversial because people don't pay attention to basic science.

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
06-04-2012 04:21 PM
4r4b7 Away
im not banned

Given 16 thank(s) in 15 post(s)
Teacher Finally Admits Math isn't necessary

This is one of the funniest threads ever.

Hidden stuff:

10-17-2012 01:31 PM
SomeRandomHuman Offline
Pariah

Given 83 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

I think the general population only needs 1 year of math (to learn the basics) and you should go to some extra school if u really want to learn it
10-18-2012 06:29 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Year 10 boys want to get my math teacher fired for nothing. How can I save her? Marlena403 3 2,898 05-03-2017 11:32 AM
Last Post: James Comey
Wink School essentially admits that it's not for everybody! KFC Nyan Cat 5 4,411 01-25-2017 08:06 AM
Last Post: Superkamiguru
  My math teacher was really honest today.... James Comey 9 7,833 01-15-2017 01:42 AM
Last Post: Superkamiguru
  It's Finally Over. It's Finally, a-fucking over James Comey 7 3,136 06-07-2015 03:16 AM
Last Post: xcriteria
  A threat my math teacher made at the class today Christian Hellhound 5 4,791 02-13-2014 04:53 PM
Last Post: James Comey
  My math teacher skinhead69 11 7,145 10-19-2012 11:47 AM
Last Post: IamNoone
  Stupid Math Teacher noodlehead 8 10,773 04-23-2012 02:42 PM
Last Post: Prince Rilian
  Holy shit, Math substitute teacher bulgarianlion 16 8,916 03-21-2012 10:28 AM
Last Post: Campion
  Math teacher quote of the day యూజర్ పేరు 36 13,018 02-15-2011 08:38 AM
Last Post: యూజర్ పేరు
  My math teacher bitch. monkey 3 3,164 09-22-2009 11:13 AM
Last Post: John Tuttle