RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teacher Finally Admits Math isn't necessary
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)
Teacher Finally Admits Math isn't necessary

I asked by student geometry teacher who I'm really close and personal with "What's the point of this anyway?"

He basically replies " The point of math is to help scientists and buisiness.Math, in turn is about business, it helps business basically."

Finally, an honest response. I think business is pretty retarded, and has destroyed the entire world and ruined my life.

The academics are about furthering business, it's not about knowledge, it's about furthering and empiric system of abstractions used to dominate the entire fucking world.

Id' rather think for myself, than rely on a petty, useless institution to.

Agreed?

To be an anarchist, is to suffer greatly. To be a black woman is to suffer secretly. To be the earth, is to suffer silently.

I wish no harm on anyone, but those whose harmful ways will not stop without the same harm.

It's time we kill this cancerous system, before it kills us and everything left of gaia. Rise from our immaturity and take back our autonomy!

[Image: 2010-10-04-lost-my-appetite.jpg]
03-11-2012 09:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cuttlefishCuller Offline
#1 Homestuck Spambot

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
RE: Teacher Finally Admits Math isn't necessary

math is essential for science, engineering, medicine, and nearly every institution on the planet. Without math, none of the innovations around you would exist.

MATH IS A PRETTY BIG DEAL, YOU GUYS.

(01-21-2012 10:42 PM)BaronVonStrangle Wrote:  homestuck more like homeSUCK
03-11-2012 09:50 AM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Applied math is gross. It's like studying art just to make magazine ads.

I mean, obviously it is necessary, just aesthetically I can not be into it.

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
03-11-2012 10:25 AM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

fuck math I'm steering clear of any professions having to do with math

No, this is Patrick.
03-11-2012 10:29 AM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

Even though I'm struggling at it and hate Math to the death, it's actually A REALLY USEFUL SUBJECT.

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
03-11-2012 10:34 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)

but how would you count money to buy your kfc
03-11-2012 11:19 AM
Geeksta Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

(03-11-2012 10:34 AM)Efs Wrote:  Even though I'm struggling at it and hate Math to the death, it's actually A REALLY USEFUL SUBJECT.

It's one of the few subjects I see a point in the schools trying to teach. Now if they'd just hire competent teachers...

Freedom is never given; it is always taken. So for the fact that you're not a slave, don't thank those in authority. Thank someone with a "bad attitude."
-Kevin Carson

sexual abuse of sheep is baaaaaaaaad
-BaronVonStrangle

School brings us together, but it doesn't bring us together
-Derchin

We lost Vietnam cuz we didn't train our soldiers to quickscope.
-gore goroth
03-11-2012 11:23 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

Simple math is a necessity everyone needs to know. Higher level math (like calculus, trigonometry, elementary functions, ETC) is pretty much required in fields of engineering, science and business, but if you aren't going into any of these fields, then higher level math is pointless for you. Your teacher is right.

Previously known as Derchin.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2012 11:38 AM by Miller0700.)
03-11-2012 11:34 AM
Dirtbikemike Offline
Balls denser than a White Dwarf

Given 78 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

(03-11-2012 11:23 AM)Geeksta Wrote:  Now if they'd just hire competent teachers...

YES!

Balls of Steel:
Hidden stuff:
(01-13-2012 10:37 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  Mike you deserve an SS medal. Here, be proud:
[Image: BallsofSteel2.png]
Congrats for doing something I never had the balls to do.
If you have kids, save them from the bullshit you are forced to go through.
(01-25-2012 05:36 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  Balls of steel re-awarded. 
(02-07-2012 03:22 PM)flann Wrote:  Balls of Tungsten, now.

I found a picture for tungsten balls
http://bit.ly/xqd1zk

(02-14-2012 03:17 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Your balls are denser than white dwarf star matter.
(03-13-2012 08:27 PM)M3116 Wrote:  Balls of steel re-re-reawarded Nutter

(05-14-2013 03:01 PM)Prince Darkstar Wrote:  Dirtbikemike is the only guy I know of on here who won an argument with a teacher.
03-12-2012 10:08 AM
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Given 63 thank(s) in 46 post(s)

Math is a waste of time for most passed basic algebra. Those who are good at math and pick it up quickly, the same people that go on to use math in life and in careers, are capable of learning what is now stretched into years worth of math in a few months; maybe a year tops.

The purpose of life is a life with a purpose
So I’d rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless
I don’t need the circus or the day of national observance
I need you to think for you and stop being a servant
-Immortal Technique, The Martyr, The Martyr
03-12-2012 11:53 AM
4r4b7 Away
im not banned

Given 16 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

How are you supposed to function in life, without maths?

Hidden stuff:

05-27-2012 10:28 PM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

(05-27-2012 10:28 PM)hahaha12345 Wrote:  How are you supposed to function in life, without maths?

Yeah, like any of us will ever use the Poisson Process in real life.

05-27-2012 11:31 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

About time..

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
05-28-2012 12:01 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

(03-11-2012 11:34 AM)Derchin Wrote:  Simple math is a necessity everyone needs to know. Higher level math (like calculus, trigonometry, elementary functions, ETC) is pretty much required in fields of engineering, science and business, but if you aren't going into any of these fields, planning on achieving anything in life. then higher level math is pointless for you. Your teacher is right.

Fixed.
05-28-2012 12:06 AM
Mælstrom Offline
GIVE ME LEEBERTY, OR GIVE ME DEATH

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

It all depends on what you think are achievements. If you want a McMansion house with two cars in the suburbs, then become a lawyer, architect or accountant. If you want to explore the world and have a sense of adventure to your life, work odd jobs in the cities you encounter. It all goes down to individual's preference.

If you're reading this, I killed myself.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2012 12:17 AM by Mælstrom.)
05-28-2012 12:16 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

(05-28-2012 12:06 AM)Aya Wrote:  
(03-11-2012 11:34 AM)Derchin Wrote:  Simple math is a necessity everyone needs to know. Higher level math (like calculus, trigonometry, elementary functions, ETC) is pretty much required in fields of engineering, science and business, but if you aren't going into any of these fields, planning on achieving anything in life. then higher level math is pointless for you. Your teacher is right.

Fixed.

(05-27-2012 10:28 PM)derchin Wrote:  Yeah, like any of us will ever use the Poisson Process in real life.

05-28-2012 12:18 AM
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Given 64 thank(s) in 41 post(s)

(05-28-2012 12:16 AM)Cydonia Wrote:  If you want to explore the world and have a sense of adventure to your life, work odd jobs in the cities you encounter

This is very much easier said than done.

RIP SCHOOL-SURVIVAL 04/07/2019
[Image: tumblr_lpjpoqOyQ91qb8nljo1_500.gif]
05-28-2012 01:18 AM
Mælstrom Offline

(05-28-2012 01:18 AM)Elfy Wrote:  
(05-28-2012 12:16 AM)Cydonia Wrote:  If you want to explore the world and have a sense of adventure to your life, work odd jobs in the cities you encounter

Of course it is, but you have to sacrifice certain things in life to get to where you want to be.

05-28-2012 01:33 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

(05-28-2012 12:06 AM)Aya Wrote:  

Elitist add on.

Double fixed.
Kind of sad Aya that your obsessed with achieving.

image hosting jpg
05-28-2012 01:37 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

How am I obsessed. I just want to look back on my life in 60 years and say I did something with it.

MFW it's actually easier for an engineer, scientist or business professional to move around and have those adventures then it is for some bumfuck who who has no marketable skills or abilities.

But I guess you can always do what every other unemployable 20-something does and move to Los Angeles.
05-28-2012 02:49 AM
Mælstrom Offline

I can see what you mean by that, but is it possible for you to talk about one thing you disagree about without insulting it to oblivion?

05-28-2012 03:02 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

(05-28-2012 02:49 AM)Aya Wrote:  How am I obsessed. I just want to look back on my life in 60 years and say I did something with it.

MFW it's actually easier for an engineer, scientist or business professional to move around and have those adventures then it is for some bumfuck who who has no marketable skills or abilities.

But I guess you can always do what every other unemployable 20-something does and move to Los Angeles.

My cousin on one of my grandmas sisters side has her engineer degree and can't get a job worth shit(last offer she had was for a job was far away with shit pay and she would have to relocate herself).

At this rate I gotta agree with Cydonia though I shouldn't much talk.
Stepdad dropped out of high school and works for tyson meat company at 23 bucks an hour and is about to retire.

the school propaganda is strong Aya but whatever makes you feel better and don't you dare add me to that thread. Razz

image hosting jpg
05-28-2012 03:15 AM
4r4b7 Away
im not banned

Given 16 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

without maths, how will you even count your own fingers?

Hidden stuff:

05-28-2012 04:03 AM
Kirby Offline
Revolutionary

Given 16 thank(s) in 12 post(s)

I think people should learn calculus in high school even if they will never use it again. However there are many people who disagree with me which is why there needs to be a market in education. Parents will send their kids, hopefully with their approval, to a school that they think will be beneficial. If teaching math above algebra is found to be useless then there will be less schools that do so.

Note that when I say market it includes big corporations, local businesses, non-profit organizations, and even informal groups of homeschoolers.

I've never let my school interfere with my education.
05-28-2012 04:07 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

A story of mine. Some of you might have heard it already.

After taking notes and going over problems on the board day in and day out for months, one kid got sick of how we had to complete the subject without question or opinion and asked that why did we need to learn this stuff in the first place. She also mentioned that she wouldn’t need it in her career (a lawyer) and pressured him to answer if his class was truly important to most ordinary people. Flat-out, he said no. My math teacher, my Elementary Functions teacher, told us to our faces that his course won’t be needed for common folk in real life. I don’t know how I can much I can stomp this fact into the ground. No one is saying that math isn’t needed nor important, so don’t even come down on me for that. But the fact that people assert that everyone need to know calculus or trigonometry, for no particular reason (other than bandwagoning) and even if they don’t need it in their careers, is absurd and quickly tiring.

For example, I want to be a writer. (inb4 people come down on it). English is what I really should be concerned about.

05-28-2012 04:15 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

cydonia Wrote:I can see what you mean by that, but is it possible for you to talk about one thing you disagree about without insulting it to oblivion?

I could, but then I would lose my rank as Queen Cunt of SS. We can't have that now can we?

(05-28-2012 03:15 AM)HeartofShadows Wrote:  My cousin on one of my grandmas sisters side has her engineer degree and can't get a job worth shit(last offer she had was for a job was far away with shit pay and she would have to relocate herself).

Ok what I'm about to say is going to sound really assholish. But I want you to know that for once I'm not trying to be snarky, that I'm just basing my comments on the experience I've had at work, where I actually interview and hire engineers for one of our clients.

Warning: bricks of text:

Hidden stuff:
1. What specific degree does she have? Mechanical, Electrical, Computer or something else. Not all engineering degrees are created equal. Nuclear & Petroleum engineers have good job prospects but thier jobs are limited to certain locations. Civil Engineers are the STEM equivelent of Communications majors.

2. Where was she asked to relocate to? With exception to Computer & software engineering, most positons available are concentrated in Colorado, Michigan, & Southern California. That's just a fact of life. Most companies will help a new recruit relocate to the project location. But if she's not willing to relocate, that's her problem, not theirs.

3. What pay was she offered? The average starting pay for a Jr. Engineer is $25 - $30/hr or $50 - $60K a year before taxes. Jobs out in California pay more (cost of living is so high) as do most Computer & Electrical engineering positions. But $50 - $60K is the Industry standard for Jr level people and even then, that's around $20K more than the american makes regardless of whether or not they have a college degree. Far too many people have this perception that just because they have a BSME that they're going to make 100K right out of the gate.

My response to these shitheads?

[Image: fuckthat.jpg]

Most engineers cap out at 100K. And that's after accumulating 20+ years of experience. Only Computer, Software & Electrical Engineers go higher on average, and even then, their cap is around $150K.

Quote:the school propaganda is strong Aya but whatever makes you feel better and don't you dare add me to that thread. Razz

>Dropped out of college... twice
>Will likely drop out a third time

I don't think my opinion is based on propaganda hun.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2012 04:20 AM by Aya.)
05-28-2012 04:18 AM
Ami Offline
Renegade

Given 18 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

High end math is important to people who do stuff in high end math. Very basic math is important to everyone but is learned very easily and usually without school.
05-28-2012 04:20 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Third times the charm and you have a point(I didn't pay much to her whining as I was bored out of my mind but it was all about I worked hard and this degree was suppose to open doors, etc.

Just the future is never certain.
Even a *loser* may one day get the keys to the golden doors.

image hosting jpg
05-28-2012 04:49 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

"Maths helps science and engineering, you know those things that are essentially the only two large driving forces of change between now and a hundred years ago?"
"HURR MYY TEECHER ADMITED MAFZ IZ ST0OPID LOLL"

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
05-31-2012 10:32 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

(05-31-2012 10:32 PM)AWOL Wrote:  "Maths helps science and engineering, you know those things that are essentially the only two large driving forces of change between now and a hundred years ago?"
"HURR MYY TEECHER ADMITED MAFZ IZ ST0OPID LOLL"

Lol Elitism is one hell of a drug.

image hosting jpg
06-01-2012 03:38 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Year 10 boys want to get my math teacher fired for nothing. How can I save her? Marlena403 3 2,898 05-03-2017 11:32 AM
Last Post: James Comey
Wink School essentially admits that it's not for everybody! KFC Nyan Cat 5 4,411 01-25-2017 08:06 AM
Last Post: Superkamiguru
  My math teacher was really honest today.... James Comey 9 7,833 01-15-2017 01:42 AM
Last Post: Superkamiguru
  It's Finally Over. It's Finally, a-fucking over James Comey 7 3,136 06-07-2015 03:16 AM
Last Post: xcriteria
  A threat my math teacher made at the class today Christian Hellhound 5 4,791 02-13-2014 04:53 PM
Last Post: James Comey
  My math teacher skinhead69 11 7,145 10-19-2012 11:47 AM
Last Post: IamNoone
  Stupid Math Teacher noodlehead 8 10,773 04-23-2012 02:42 PM
Last Post: Prince Rilian
  Holy shit, Math substitute teacher bulgarianlion 16 8,916 03-21-2012 10:28 AM
Last Post: Campion
  Math teacher quote of the day యూజర్ పేరు 36 13,018 02-15-2011 08:38 AM
Last Post: యూజర్ పేరు
  My math teacher bitch. monkey 3 3,164 09-22-2009 11:13 AM
Last Post: John Tuttle